Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I am genuinely disturbed by the number of 'fair play to him' and 'he's only saying what everyone is thinking' comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller. A few years ago, I used to frequently meet a group of traveller women where I worked - they were friendly, down-to-earth people - the fact that so many here are including those women in their vitriol really bothers me.

All travellers are not the same. Same as all 'country people' aren't the same.

no disrespect but it's often hard to tell the difference in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

elperello wrote: »
    If any of you think that Casey cares about your lives I despair for Irish political debate.

He has you all champing at the bit like the ponies in the video.
    Lining up to take an online dig at the travelers while he and his likes are laughing at you.

Ask yourself the question "Why did he say it?" before you go dancing to his tune.

Dont be codding yourself if you think any politican gives a flying fcuk about anyone bar themselves, and the next election, nor do i care if theyre laughing at me. Id prefer my guy to ne "laughing at me", than your guy laughing at us.

Casey is no different, except he is has now tapped into what a lot of Irish people think, but are reluctant to utter for fear of being labelled a "racist". He spoke his mind in public. I admire that.

He aint going to be on 1% for much longer.
    He just took two votes off Miggeldy in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I am genuinely disturbed by the number of 'fair play to him' and 'he's only saying what everyone is thinking' comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller. A few years ago, I used to frequently meet a group of traveller women where I worked - they were friendly, down-to-earth people - the fact that so many here are including those women in their vitriol really bothers me.

Fair play to you. You're most definitely in the minority though. We can't all be wrong or making stories up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Well spotted. While I don't disagree with what the man said, there's more to being president than an opinion on travellers.

There have been a heap of comments in this thread along the line of "His opinion on travellers is the same as mine so I'm going to vote for him". That's about as rational as choosing a builder based on the colour of his hair. It's irrelevant to the job that he's going to be doing.

In addition to that, too many people in the world keep falling for the "Common Man" con by elites. It's been done over and over again and people keep falling for it. It all boils down to "This man talks like dumb old me so he'll be great at that thing that I could never do". It's elites pretending to be common which may be why it keeps working on people.

Ever since Robinson the role of the Presidency has been expanded beyond it's constitutional figurehead function to include advocacy of causes that the President cares about.

In the case of Robinson that's been human rights, in the case of McAleese The North, in the case of Higgins it's been verbose but vague critiques of capitalist excess. All of it has generally been seen as a good thing, as long as it stays within the constitutional boundaries.

Casey therefore can raise any topic he likes on the campaign trail without breaking from this process. The wailing and gnashing of teeth over his comments is solely based on Travellers being above criticism in national discourse, as regulated by the media and the quango sector.

By raising this neglected and pressing issue he has done the nation some service. The fact that he has done so for his own electoral interest and will have very limited ability to do much about it makes his comments no less valid than his predecessors' advocacy of other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wouldn't be surprised to see John Connors wheeled out on The Tonight Show later this evening. Exactly the stuff Yates/Cooper would relish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You sound like an exception rather than the norm. All my experience with the traveller community is negative. But I guess as a rural dweller we really don't see the good side assuming they have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would say most people in Ireland and on AH are centerist by nature and dint feel bound by terms such as left or right wing instead having opinions based on the issue

I'd certainly agree about Ireland, I think it's clear to anyone from looking at our politics that society is broadly centrist.

But AH? This place has been steadily trending right since I first joined years ago. If you don't agree with the prevailing and clearly right-wing opinions on social issues, prepare to be mocked and have those mocking you roundly thanked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://twitter.com/NeilRedFM/status/1052472703716855808?s=19

*75% agree with him on one poll.

(* in before the "thats not representative....")

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Ciara Kelly has just began a discussion on this.....

"And all that good stuff" groan. :(

no disrespect but it's often hard to tell the difference in Limerick

Are you missing an 'only joking' smiley, or hae you just exposed more prejudice....?

• Advertisement

wouldn't the Presidential debate be more engaging, if it was organised along the lines of a round robin Bare Knuckle Fight?
    i think RTE ratings would go through the woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I completely agree with you, which is why I think as a group they should not be lumped into one "ethnicity", there are good ones and bad ones and they shouldn't all have the same privileges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Uncharted wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has just began a discussion on this.....

"And all that good stuff" groan. :(

According to her he's been "widely criticised" for his comments. Criticised by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

On Niall Boylan now

Travelers cannot get jobs because "of the government and you Niall, who is a racist"

These remarks have certainly triggered a bit of a discussion (for today at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Heard some gimp on newstalk earlier saying that he dropped a clanger or had a foot in mouth moment, as if the vast majority don't agree with what her said. There really is a group think within the media class

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wouldn't the Presidential debate be more engaging, if it was organised along the lines of a round robin Bare Knuckle Fight?
    i think RTE ratings would go through the woof.

Could you imagine if John Connors attacked 'D' with a stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Babooshka wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, which is why I think as a group they should not be lumped into one "ethnicity", there are good ones and bad ones and they shouldn't all have the same privileges.

Are you implying they are not one ethnicity because there are "good ones and bad ones"?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

People who say he made "deplorable comments", did they actually read / hear what he said?

Could you imagine if John Connors attacked 'D' with a stick?

only candidates would be allowed to participate, and absolutely no weapons!

i mean we have to be sensible about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

doylefe wrote: »
    People who say he made "deplorable comments", did they actually read / hear what he said?

Course not - they just read that a sacred cow got a metaphorical smacked arse for once and hit Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hurrache wrote: »
    valoren wrote: »
    This is how Trump got elected. Not by exactly telling it "as it is" but by not being afraid or concerned about speaking bluntly and unapologetically about what he thought. That was like a breath of fresh air for indifferent registered voters. Casey must have been studying the Trump play book.

It's not. He lost the popular vote. More people in America who voted found they wanted Clinton's policies more so than Trump's.

And more people wanted Sanders policies than hers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

only candidates would be allowed to participate, and absolutely no weapons!

i mean we have to be sensible about this.

Freeman v the Shinner with kendo sticks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

The Joyce guy from the traveller representative group got his ass handed to him when the listeners comments were read out on air.
    :pac:

The pathetic ramblings of his traveller defense were pitiful.

Rabble rabble,culture,rabble rabble,racism etc etc.
    The public opinion is breaking through the media PC firewall.
    Well done Peter Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What race are travellers again?

Look Causcoid to me. Maybe a slight southern Euro influence in some, noted by dark features and sallow complexions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

doylefe wrote: »
    According to her he's been "widely criticised" for his comments. Criticised by whom?

the media bubble

different story when she read out the landslide of texts supporting Casey:)

Freeman v the Shinner with kendo sticks ?

No weapons.
    This is Bare Knuckle ONLY!

Just wondering who we might get to referee? Pat Kenny or Tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

ebbsy wrote: »
    And more people wanted Sanders policies than hers.

Not more Democratic Party primary voters, certainly, and it was never put to a general election test. So speculation on your part, and doubly tangential from the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No weapons.
    This is Bare Knuckle ONLY!

Just wondering who we might get to referee? Pat Kenny or Tubs?

Miriam O'Callaghan

Sure she reckons Margaret Cash is a great mother

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to Casey for speaking up when everyone else was too afraid. He'll be getting my vote anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

All citizens are the same, or should be. If Casey wants to express an opinion that designating Travellers as a distinct ethnic group was a mistake, that's his right. It's also an opinion that many other citizens share..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement