Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I never said it was 'next door' to a halting site. I was asked, 'would I buy a house next to a halting site'. If Supervalu was 300 yards away I would say I lived next to a Supervalu.

What is your point Gar?

I did make a mistake there, you said that you bought a house next to a halting site, and you said you bought a house next door, which I thought meant next door to the site but could be next door to the house 300 yards away from the site. I wouldn't call it next, but it's still close enough, i.e. 5 isn't next to 3, only 4 is but it's close. Anyway, the wording confused me but it was my mistake.

I still don't believe your posts are genuine though for various other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

GarIT wrote: »
    I did make a mistake there, you said that you bought a house next to a halting site, and you said you bought a house next door, which I thought meant next door to the site but could be next door to the house 300 yards away from the site. I wouldn't call it next, but it's still close enough, i.e. 5 isn't next to 3, only 4 is but it's close. Anyway, the wording confused me but it was my mistake.

I still don't believe your posts are genuine though for various other reasons.

Fair enough. It is an anonymous board. Don't understand the suspicion from somebody whom I asked to post the comment you claimed I made yesterday and who just disappeared but came back to claim I was telling porkies about where I lived and to insinuate from my forum name ( a novel and film character) meant I was a traveller. I am not a traveller, but what difference would it make if I was? Do you, like Casey, not want to engage with a traveller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Do you, like Casey, not want to engage with a traveller?

Casey said everybody should be treated the same.

Never said anything about not engaging with anybody.

Casey said everybody should be treated the same.

Never said anything about not engaging with anybody.

He said more than that and you know it. The amount of people here who have taken it to mean more than that is all the proof you need.
    In fairness to Casey, as long as he isn't acting, he seems genuinely upset by the genie he let out of the keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

He’d better not pull out of the race. I’ve a serious horn for Peter Casey now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Wouldn't it be great craic if Casey pulled out and he still won. It would cause somewhat of a crisis, it would be worth it to see the self satisfied grin wiped off MDH's face. Won't happen of course but one can hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I didn't say it was next door, I said it was 300 yards away. :confused: The house I bought was next door to the one I was reared in. To be pedantic 310 yards away.

You must have bought it with cash. I find it very difficult to believe any bank would be willing to offer a mortgage on a house beside a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I like this guy casey. no fcuks given.
    Whether he runs or not, hopefully this situation gives rise to more plain speaking politics.
    Presidential candidate Peter Casey has accused the Taoiseach of unfairly intervening in the election, saying Leo Varadkar should "shut his trap".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/shut-your-trap-casey-tells-indian-leo-varadkar-for-trying-to-impact-poll-37439628.html

Rennaws wrote: »
    You must have bought it with cash. I find it very difficult to believe any bank would be willing to offer a mortgage on a house beside a halting site.

:confused::confused: It would be probably equidistant from the centre of the town and the main street. It never factored into either buying or the mortgage decision.

Sometimes I wonder where some of you guys and gals live, and I mean 'planet' not street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great craic if Casey pulled out and he still won. It would cause somewhat of a crisis, it would be worth it to see the self satisfied grin wiped off MDH's face. Won't happen of course but one can hope

It's already like something you'd read in a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book and that would just make it even better!

Wonder when the next opinion poll is out? Would be hilarious if he's at like 20% first preference or something.

• Advertisement

It's already like something you'd read in a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book and that would just make it even better!

Wonder when the next opinion poll is out? Would be hilarious if he's at like 20% first preference or something.

Tomorrow I think. But PP would be a good indicator, where he would be second last on 66/1.
    So he has moved from last to second last.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tomorrow I think. But PP would be a good indicator, where he would be second last on 66/1.

And this time last week was 500/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I genuinely think MDH did a very good job as president in his first term, but I'm finding him increasingly insuferable thanks to his conceited demeanor and easy ride by the obviously biased media. Will be giving Peter Casey my number 1, the fact that he may not even run will make iteven more of a protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Momentum :):)

Momentum :):)

Yep. If having to take the last weekend before the vote off is 'momentum'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Up or down Casey is calling out what a growing amount of people are saying to each other ...
    Why should 98% of travellers be allowed not work ? And not alone get free houses but now want stables as well ? What next jacuzzis ?

Not to mention areas of rural Ireland that are destroyed with travellers robbing ... its fine for those living in Dublin who have no interaction with travellers but in rural Ireland travellers are becoming an issue all over the place ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

:confused::confused: It would be probably equidistant from the centre of the town and the main street. It never factored into either buying or the mortgage decision.

Sometimes I wonder where some of you guys and gals live, and I mean 'planet' not street. :D

I live nowhere near a halting site.
    Our community here have no travellers living in the vicinity.
    There are a couple of housing estates in villages close to me which have had travellers housed from time to time, they never stay long though.
    That's probably because of integration problems more than anything else.
    The problem seems to be both ways, travellers don't want to be planted alone with the settled community and the settled community don't want to live beside travellers.
    From experience, and i have worked on a halting site, building and maintenance, you might know it, its the one in Cavan town, up the back road behind the main car park.
    They show very little respect for any property or infrastructure really. Their caravans and motors are immaculate, but anything built or a permanent structure that's state provided is treated like dirt and the grounds around then like a fly tip..
    I also know a good few private houses they either bought or had built in the surrounding counties, Cavan, Leitrim and Longford, most of them are kept immaculately, because there is a sense and pride of ownership and its usually the more wealthy of travellers that have them.
    But overall I think with state provided shelters, they abuse and misuse the accommodation provided to them.

Edward M wrote: »
    There are a couple of housing estates in villages close to me which have had travellers housed from time to time, they never stay long though.
    The problem seems to be both ways, travellers don't want to be planted alone with the settled community and the settled community don't want to live beside travellers.
    From experience, and i have worked on a halting site, building and maintenance, you might know it, its the one in Cavan town, up the back road behind the main car park.
    They show very little respect for any property or infrastructure really. Their caravans and motors are immaculate, but anything built or a permanent structure that's state provided is treated like dirt and the grounds around then like a fly tip..
    I also know a good few private houses they either bought or had built in the surrounding counties, Cavan, Leitrim and Longford, most of them are kept immaculately, because there is a sense and pride of ownership and its usually the more wealthy of travellers that have them.
    But overall I think with state provided shelters, they abuse and misuse the accommodation provided to them.

I do know it and would agree with you.
    The halting site where I live is well kept generally, but occasionally there will be damage.
    It is a huge issue imo, and has to do with trust and a certain anger about being corralled and forced off the roads I would imagine. That is not an excuse btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Edward M wrote: »
    A very small minority build big houses and keep them immaculate
    And those houses are often empty half the year while the family is over in the UK doing whatever it is they do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Right or wrong about the grazing for horses most reasonable people would say that the travellers are out of order. They have plenty money and could arrange rent of a field themselves. For the people who get out of bed to go to work, get taxed to the hilt, pay high mortgages it is sickening to see this crap.
    Society has an obligation to the travellers the same way it has to every citizen but there is a responsibility on the travellers as well. But it is all about "our rights" with them and nothing about their responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    A very small minority build big houses and keep them immaculate
    And those houses are often empty half the year while the family is over in the UK doing whatever it is they do
    Or being used for storing carpets and furniture like a few in Rathkeale

Edgware wrote: »
    Right or wrong about the grazing for horses most reasonable people would say that the travellers are out of order. They have plenty money and could arrange rent of a field themselves. For the people who get out of bed to go to work, get taxed to the hilt, pay high mortgages it is sickening to see this crap.
    Society has an obligation to the travellers the same way it has to every citizen but there is a responsibility on the travellers as well. But it is all about "our rights" with them and nothing about their responsibilities.

Totally agree with you on this too. But the problem has always been the same as you will have anywhere if you try too hard to impose your ways on others.

The problems we have with travellers will only be solved if they can be convinced to change from within. And that takes positive initiatives rather than negative draconian ones which seems to be what some want to do, in the silly misguided hope that it will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Edgware wrote: »

Pity more of these bleeding hearts wouldn’t see it that way.

That post is on the button as to the reason for all this so called ‘anti traveller’ sentiment. It’s a fairly simple reason the working population who pay their fair taxes are fed up with this carry on.

Hope Casey sticks to his guns as he had the cahunas to say it as it is and not go on with this ethnicity bolloxology.

Well done President Casey.

Pity more of these bleeding hearts wouldn’t see it that way.

That post is on the button as to the reason for all this so called ‘anti traveller’ sentiment. It’s a fairly simple reason the working population who pay their fair taxes are fed up with this carry on.

Hope Casey sticks to his guns as he had the cahunas to say it as it is and not go on with this ethnicity bolloxology.

Well done President Casey.

Taking a positive realistic approach makes you a 'bleeding heart'.
    Stand aside and let the boot boys deal with it, I think you mean Brendy.

While it might satisfy your inner lusts, it won't solve the issues, if you allow history to teach you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hurler32 wrote: »
    Up or down Casey is calling out what a growing amount of people are saying to each other ...
    Why should 98% of travellers be allowed not work ? And not alone get free houses but now want stables as well ? What next jacuzzis ?

Not to mention areas of rural Ireland that are destroyed with travellers robbing ... its fine for those living in Dublin who have no interaction with travellers but in rural Ireland travellers are becoming an issue all over the place ...

would you stop! We in Dublin have to put up with travelers robbing as much as people in the country. My personal experience of them is having ladders robbed off my van, which they were caught in the act of doing.
    They still didn’t give a ****.
    When I rang the guards they just replied, if I was you I’d leave it! What the ****!
    Not all travelers but a relatively high percentage are an absolute scourge on society.
    I wasn’t going to vote in this presidential election, but I’ll be voting Casey now.
    He probably won’t get elected, but it might get the country talking about it’s priorities.

It’s unfortunate that he’s running for president, as the position has no real power. Hopefully he’ll run for the Dail. We need people who tell it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The indo are really stooping to their usual gutter excuse for journalism against this guy.

They've a more than misleading headline, that might (if dumb enough to not see through their bullsh1t) initially give one the impression that Casey made derogatory or racist comments about Varadkar, with a headline such as this.
    'Shut your trap,' Casey tells 'Indian' Leo Varadkar for 'trying to impact poll'

It's only when you drill down into the nitty gritty of the article, it doesn't look like Casey said any such thing.

Certain media outlets have obviously decided that MDH is going to be kept on as president, and they're going to do whatever it takes to keep him there, even if it means labelling a man as a racist.

It’s unfortunate that he’s running for president, as the position has no real power. Hopefully he’ll run for the Dail. We need people who tell it as it is.

If he did get the presidency, unlikely as it is, I doubt he’d stick to protocol anyway, so he’d probably end up airing his views and “telling it as it is” quite a lot. I agree though we need more people in influence taking a harder line against the leftist brigade that have destroyed this country with its ‘don’t work someone else will pay’ attitude.

If I thought for a minute he said it for genuine reasons, I would agree that he should run. His opinion needs challenging just like mine and others opinion.
    But his News At One radio and his later TV interviews convince me that he said something he doesn't believe in and used to get some cheap attention.
    He looked visibly shaken that he had unleashed something that scared him - hate.

For doing that, I think a short spell at the pleasure of the state would be more appropriate TBH.

• Advertisement

The indo are really stooping to their usual gutter excuse for journalism against this guy.

They've a more than misleading headline, that might (if dumb enough to not see through their bullsh1t) initially give one the impression that Casey made derogatory or racist comments about Varadkar, with a headline such as this.

It's only when you drill down into the nitty gritty of the article, it doesn't look like Casey said any such thing.

Certain media outlets have obviously decided that MDH is going to be kept on as president, and they're going to do whatever it takes to keep him there, even if it means labelling a man as a racist.

I really hope Casey doesn’t pull out, I think he could end up with a high share of the vote. He needs messages of support to balance out the negative press he’s getting at the moment. I might send a positive e mail to him later!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement