Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

tom1ie wrote: »
    I really hope Casey doesn’t pull out, I think he could end up with a high share of the vote. He needs messages of support to balance out the negative press he’s getting at the moment. I might send a positive e mail to him later!

He can’t pull out now. Polling cards are already printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

would you stop! We in Dublin have to put up with travelers robbing as much as people in the country. My personal experience of them is having ladders robbed off my van, which they were caught in the act of doing.
    They still didn’t give a ****.
    When I rang the guards they just replied, if I was you I’d leave it! What the ****!
    Not all travelers but a relatively high percentage are an absolute scourge on society.
    I wasn’t going to vote in this presidential election, but I’ll be voting Casey now.
    He probably won’t get elected, but it might get the country talking about it’s priorities.

Fair point you make ... for those of us living in rural Ireland though it would appear its the Dublin based media ie indo , Irish times that seem to be saying travellers are great people but obviously they don’t have them living near them or are living in big houses in south Dublin .
    Irish people are very tolerable with immigrants etc but there’s mounting frustration with a growing traveller population that refuse to work and are robbing all round them which along with generous welfare makes them better off than houses with both parents working ... travellers are going to be a election issue in many constituencies in the next general election ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I really hope Casey doesn’t pull out, I think he could end up with a high share of the vote. He needs messages of support to balance out the negative press he’s getting at the moment. I might send a positive e mail to him later!

The next poll will certainly be interesting.

I have worked hard to populate my social media and twitter feeds with a cross section of Irish opinion and views (and world wide too) and I am honestly not seeing a groundswell of support for him in the way I have seen it before.
    You could tell what way the Same Sex Marriage would go and the Abortion Ref.

Unless people are staying silent I can't see him rise above 8-10%. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sent one on last night.

The whole thing has me confused now anyway, I'm firmly in the left of centre camp, and what Casey was saying (everyone should be treated as equals, and it's nonsense to grant special status to one section of the community over another) - is, to my mind, a fairly left of centre thing to say. (Keep in mind that Casey is a Derry Born Catholic, where protestants were traditionally given more rights than their Catholic neighbours) so on the equality angle, I'm firmly behind him, Casey has experience of this.

Yet Casey is being portrayed as some uber right wing mini Trump.

Calling for equality is now right wing :confused:

The fact that gobshyte Leo thought he should make a statement urging us not to vote for Casey (the president of Ireland is the people's president, Leo should butt the fcuk out) has only resulted in me pivoting to decide to definitely give Casey my vote.

(Plus I've a few bob thrown on the outcome now):D

Casey no 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The indo are really stooping to their usual gutter excuse for journalism against this guy.

They've a more than misleading headline, that might (if dumb enough to not see through their bullsh1t) initially give one the impression that Casey made derogatory or racist comments about Varadkar, with a headline such as this.

It's only when you drill down into the nitty gritty of the article, it doesn't look like Casey said any such thing.

Certain media outlets have obviously decided that MDH is going to be kept on as president, and they're going to do whatever it takes to keep him there, even if it means labelling a man as a racist.

The indo started all this clickbait bull shi t in the first place

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Sent one on last night.

The whole thing has me confused now anyway, I'm firmly in the left of centre camp, and what Casey was saying (everyone should be treated as equals, and it's nonsense to grant special status to one section of the community over another) - is, to my mind, a fairly left of centre thing to say. (Keep in mind that Casey is a Derry Born Catholic, where protestants were traditionally given more rights than their Catholic neighbours) so on the equality angle, I'm firmly behind him, Casey has experience of this.

Yet Casey is being portrayed as some uber right wing mini Trump.

Calling for equality is now right wing :confused:

The fact that gobshyte Leo thought he should make a statement urging us not to vote for Casey (the president of Ireland is the people's president, Leo should butt the fcuk out) has only resulted in me pivoting to decide to definitely give Casey my vote.

(Plus I've a few bob thrown on the outcome now):D

Casey no 1.

:) Needs to be said Johnny - Casey should have plenty of 'experience' of what hate speech does, too.

He went beyond 'equality' in my opinion and that is not forgivable. And I think he knows that now too.

As for Leo :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D

I have worked hard to populate my social media and twitter feeds with a cross section of Irish opinion and views (and world wide too) and I am honestly not seeing a groundswell of support for him in the way I have seen it before.

Unless people are staying silent I can't see him rise above 8-10%. But who knows.

I’m pretty active on social media and I’ve seen a growing trend of posts being deleted if they don’t reflect post starters views. At least on Boards we’re let post what we feel and argue it out. Good healthy debate with mods only intervening when someone oversteps the mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

would you stop! We in Dublin have to put up with travelers robbing as much as people in the country. My personal experience of them is having ladders robbed off my van, which they were caught in the act of doing.
    They still didn’t give a ****.
    When I rang the guards they just replied, if I was you I’d leave it! What the ****!
    Not all travelers but a relatively high percentage are an absolute scourge on society.
    I wasn’t going to vote in this presidential election, but I’ll be voting Casey now.
    He probably won’t get elected, but it might get the country talking about it’s priorities.

I had stuff taken too and knew which travellers had done it. Guards didn’t want to know in fact they said they couldn’t go into the halting site without the ERU because they were bricked the last time. Anyway went in myself and some helpful travellers found my stuff and I gave them a few quid for their troubles if you know what I mean.

I’m pretty active on social media and I’ve seen a growing trend of posts being deleted if they don’t reflect post starters views. At least on Boards we’re let post what we feel and argue it out. Good healthy debate with mods only intervening when someone oversteps the mark.

Genuine request Maryanne, can you link me to one commentator/journalist/ public rep etc supporting him, because I genuinely cannot find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The indo are really stooping to their usual gutter excuse for journalism against this guy.

They've a more than misleading headline, that might (if dumb enough to not see through their bullsh1t) initially give one the impression that Casey made derogatory or racist comments about Varadkar, with a headline such as this.

It's only when you drill down into the nitty gritty of the article, it doesn't look like Casey said any such thing.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/shut-your-trap-casey-tells-indian-leo-varadkar-for-trying-to-impact-poll-37439628.html
    He went on to described the Taoiseach as "being a member of an ethnic community himself" and "being Indian".

It's a bit of an odd thing to say about an Irish person I think you'll agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

hurler32 wrote: »
    Fair point you make ... for those of us living in rural Ireland though it would appear its the Dublin based media ie indo , Irish times that seem to be saying travellers are great people but obviously they don’t have them living near them or are living in big houses in south Dublin .
    Irish people are very tolerable with immigrants etc but there’s mounting frustration with a growing traveller population that refuse to work and are robbing all round them which along with generous welfare makes them better off than houses with both parents working ... travellers are going to be a election issue in many constituencies in the next general election ...

You are right about South Dublin blocking the travellers.

There are sites earmarked for years for traveller accommodation, one near UCD, one on Bird Avenue, Clonskeagh, One on St John Of God property in Stillorgan and one near Mount Anville.

Not an inch of progress has been made on these sites and wont either because the likes of those who pushed for ethnic status live in these areas. There is no way these hypocrites are going to have their expensive houses devalued and no way their children in private schools are going to have traveller children in their classes.

Vote Peter Casey.

:) Needs to be said Johnny - Casey should have plenty of 'experience' of what hate speech does, too.

He went beyond 'equality' in my opinion and that is not forgivable. And I think he knows that now too.

Hate speech is never helpful Francie, agreed 100%.

I'm struggling to find what part of Casey's statements could be considered as hate speeches, I didn't pick any up myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

If I thought for a minute he said it for genuine reasons, I would agree that he should run. His opinion needs challenging just like mine and others opinion.
    But his News At One radio and his later TV interviews convince me that he said something he doesn't believe in and used to get some cheap attention.
    He looked visibly shaken that he had unleashed something that scared him - hate.

For doing that, I think a short spell at the pleasure of the state would be more appropriate TBH.

I don't think he unleashed anything other than giving people the chance to voice their opinion on this topic.
    If there is "hate" he didn't unleash it, it was there anyway.
    How many times have we censured this type of debate because of PC rules.
    Letting people talk and vent their anger and make their opinions known can often be the best approach to getting things sorted.
    Lately in this country it has been censured because it appears to upset the travellers and we can't have that now can we?
    There is a strong resentment to their way of life and the supports they get without them seeming to have to contribute anything back, like its a one way gravy train.
    They have rights like every other citizen, but when you give them special ethnic status it makes it appear as if you have placed their needs and wants above every other branch of society.
    There is an untrustworthy element of travellers out here, for instance if a van is driving around our locality here, if its thought to be a travellers van, the old text machine gets going, the notification of its whereabouts and its occupants is gotten around fairly quickly and your guard is up.
    I'd receive and send these messages myself.
    That's not because we hate travellers, its because experience has taught us not to trust them.

dav3 wrote: »

You wouldn't happen to have the extracts of the full interview there Dav3?

Context obviously is king, and at this stage of the indos never ending unfiltered bullsh1t and downright dangerous liying, I'd like to reassure myself that Casey said it at all. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

To be fair the man was at 1% ... to break 3% even would be a massive shift . No one says he could win or anything like it , his odds have gone from 500-1 to 66-1 which is a big contraction .
    Most people knew nothing about him a week ago but he could get 100,000 people who will park their normal politics and vote for him because he’s telling the truth about travellers which everyone else is hiding from .
    Many towns and villages are on their knees from travellers and he’s the first one to start calling it out .

Hate speech is never helpful Francie, agreed 100%.

I'm struggling to find what part of Casey's statements could be considered as hate speeches, I didn't pick any up myself.

I think that his comments beyond his initial point about ethnicity were ill-judged and unleashed a lot of fairly useless (in solving the problems) and dangerous hate speech. (read this thread as an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Hate speech"? Didn't really say anything that could be regarded as hate speech tbh. They do have a history of camping illegally on other people's land - that is true. They are pretty much no different to the rest of us, so should be held to account by our rules and laws.

Big difference to the discrimination that the Catholic population suffered at the hands of Protestants in the north in the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You wouldn't happen to have the extracts of the full interview there Dav3?

Context obviously is king, and at this stage of the indos never ending unfiltered bullsh1t and downright dangerous liying, I'd like to reassure myself that Casey said it at all. Period.

They're quotes Johnny. He obviously said them.

We'll have to wait until Monday for him to but his own spin on it.

hurler32 wrote: »
    To be fair the man was at 1% ... to break 3% even would be a massive shift . No one says he could win or anything like it , his odds have gone from 500-1 to 66-1 which is a big contraction .
    Most people knew nothing about him a week ago but he could get 100,000 people who will park their normal politics and vote for him because he’s telling the truth about travellers which everyone else is hiding from .
    Many towns and villages are on their knees from travellers and he’s the first one to start calling it out .

The drop in the odds is to coax more money out of fools. I genuinely can never understand why people fall for this bookie stunt. But anyway...:D

What towns and villages are 'on their knees'? And shouldn't there be some anger directed at others and state agengies for allowing these towns to be brought 'to their knees'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Not many were predicting the landslide there.
    Do you know what a filter bubble is? You live in one.
    I doubt very much you know what a cross section of opinion is. Your comments illustrate this very well.
    "What towns are on their knees..." Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Yep. If having to take the last weekend before the vote off is 'momentum'.

Yet even taking the weekend off, he is still the main topic of conversation regards the Presidential campaign.

I think that his comments beyond his initial point about ethnicity were ill-judged and unleashed a lot of fairly useless (in solving the problems) and dangerous hate speech. (read this thread as an example)

Travellers aren't ethnically different to the rest of us Irish folk though.

We're not talking aboriginal Australians here, or Maori folk who are actually an ethnic minority within their own communities.

They're just Irish people who have decided to live a different lifestyle and have different cultures than the rest of us.

You place a 30 year old Portlaoise native male side by side by a 30 year old male from a Portlaoise halting camp, and guaranteed you'll not be able to tell which one is traveller, which one is settled.

I don't traveller bash, never have in my life either, but I just don't see how one section of the community should be granted special status over another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Casey speaks the truth.
    It's about time the Snowflake PC brigade woke up and smelled the shyte.

dav3 wrote: »
    They're quotes Johnny. He obviously said them.

We'll have to wait until Monday for him to but his own spin on it.

Lol.

The indo never ascribe words to people they never actually said?

No recordings (like they keep rehashing the podcast of him)?

You'll forgive me if I reserve the right to keep sceptical on the article by a paper with a fairly biased motive.

Such naivety.

Not many were predicting the landslide there.
    Do you know what a filter bubble is? You live in one.
    I doubt very much you know what a cross section of opinion is. Your comments illustrate this very well?
    "What towns are on their knees.../" Indeed.

I don't live in a bubble at all. I read a cross section of media and work hard to include and view a range of political opinion. And I am just not seeing this 'groundswell'. If you can show it, go ahead, genuinely interested in seeing it.

I don't know any towns or villages 'on their knees' because of traveller criminality. Again, genuinely interested in the poster showing us where these places are. Plenty of towns and villages have issues with traveller criminality and criminality by others, but 'on their knees' seems to be the same type of sensationalism that says there is a massive groundswell of support for this man that will make him President.
    I am sure Paddy Power is loving it.

Travellers aren't ethnically different to the rest of us Irish folk though.

We're not talking aboriginal Australians here, or Maori folk who are actually an ethnic minority within their own communities.

They're just Irish people who have decided to live a different lifestyle and have different cultures than the rest of us.

You place a 30 year old Portlaoise native male side by side by a 30 year old male from a Portlaoise halting camp, and guaranteed you'll not be able to tell which one is traveller, which one is settled.

I don't traveller bash, never have in my life either, but I just don't see how one section of the community should be granted special status over another.

On the subject of 'ethnicity' I defer to the experts on that.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Yet even taking the weekend off, he is still the main topic of conversation regards the Presidential campaign.

Well that was the point of his cynical play. And I think he regrets it.
    Either he is a very good actor or he was genuinely shaken by what he unleashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

For doing that, I think a short spell at the pleasure of the state would be more appropriate TBH.

So now you want someone who has a different opinion than you jailed? This is unbelievable .

On the subject of 'ethnicity' I defer to the experts on that.

Caucasian native born Catholics (which travellers undoubtedly mostly, if not exclusively are) aren't ethnically different than the average Irish person the vast vast majority of which are also Caucasian and Catholic.

The Cambridge dictionary describes an ethnic minority as.
    a group of people of a particular race or nationality living in a country or area where most people are from a different race or nationality

I don't think irish travellers are a different race or nationality to the rest of us. I don't see how this could be argued with.

link so I'm happy enough with my stance tbh.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So now you want someone who has a different opinion than you jailed? This is unbelievable .

I'm in favour of legislation that imposes penalties on those who incite hatred. No problems with opposite opinions at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement