Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You wouldn't happen to have the extracts of the full interview there Dav3?

I don't think you'll get context off Dav3 he spent most of yesterday avoiding answering any of the claims he made. Told several porkies though. So honesty is not his bag.

Ten Pin wrote:
    Anyway, there was a clip of it played by either Newstalk or RTE yesterday and all that clip contained was Casey telling Leo to keep out of the election.

Casey was right, Leo should shut his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'm in favour of legislation that imposes penalties on those who incite hatred. No problems with opposite opinions at all.

And you’re here every day defending Sinn Fein/IRA terrosist attrocities.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Indo seem to be referring to a Galway Bay FM interview, couldn't find anything on GBFM or SoundCloud without listening to a full program. Maybe someone knows a better way to find the specific interview being referred to.

Anyway, there was a clip of it played by either Newstalk or RTE yesterday and all that clip contained was Casey telling Leo to keep out of the election.

You can bet your arse that if anyone had any recordings of Casey referring to Leo Varadkar as an "Indian" especially in a derogatory or racist way, that would be headline news, and the Audio would be getting replayed over every hourly, half hourly, and even quarter hourly news cast on any of our govt kowtowing media outlets, such is the panic now to try and ensure that Higgins stays where they want him to stay.

The indo seems to be the only media outlet going with that misleading angle so far as I can tell, so best to treat it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Casey was right, Leo should shut his mouth.

Sorry if repeating, but Varadkar said voters should send Casey a "very clear message at the ballot box". That's what I'm doing Leo when I vote for him. I'd love to see Leo having to fawn over Casey if elected. Pipe dream probably but here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And you’re here every day defending Sinn Fein/IRA terrosist attrocities.

Unbelievable.

I never defended an 'atrocity' in my life Wheelie, nor the IRA. I have defended SF on some of their policy but not all.

Let's keep the discussion honest please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Indo seem to be referring to a Galway Bay FM interview, couldn't find anything on GBFM or SoundCloud without listening to a full program. Maybe someone knows a better way to find the specific interview being referred to.

Anyway, there was a clip of it played by either Newstalk, Todayfm or RTE yesterday and all that clip contained was Casey telling Leo to keep out of the election.

Casey was right, Leo is not running in this election,

Let's keep the discussion honest please.

You weren't interested in honesty when you misquoted another poster last night. He even stopped replying to you because of your behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The next poll will certainly be interesting.

I have worked hard to populate my social media and twitter feeds with a cross section of Irish opinion and views (and world wide too) and I am honestly not seeing a groundswell of support for him in the way I have seen it before.
    You could tell what way the Same Sex Marriage would go and the Abortion Ref.

Unless people are staying silent I can't see him rise above 8-10%. But who knows.

I think people are staying silent because they’re scared ****less of what people will think when they mention something remotely controversial. Although controversial these days has lost all meaning and that’s down to the media.

You weren't interested in honesty when you misquoted another poster last night. He even stopped replying to you because of your behaviour.

Did I run away, or take the weekend off?

I immediately replied to that poster and said I parsed their post and quoted in full what they did say.

He said he was 'stopping replying' but continued to.

• Advertisement

I think that his comments beyond his initial point about ethnicity were ill-judged and unleashed a lot of fairly useless (in solving the problems) and dangerous hate speech. (read this thread as an example)

Where is the hate speech in this thread? I think fairly reasonable points and truths have been stated in this thread.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Where is the hate speech in this thread? I think fairly reasonable points and truths have been stated in this thread.

I clicked into a random page and found this:
    Many many people would just so dearly love to put manners on these obnoxious, violent inbreeds.

Why can't we?

I also accept there is reasonable and truthful posts too.

tom1ie wrote:

There is none but won't stop certain individuals from lying and claiming there is.

Taking a positive realistic approach makes you a 'bleeding heart'.
    Stand aside and let the boot boys deal with it, I think you mean Brendy.

While it might satisfy your inner lusts, it won't solve the issues, if you allow history to teach you anything.

Equality for all is the issue Mr Casey was having, when people need a home, and one is provided, then you have some of the people asking for far too much, Stables for horses or whatever, than that is not being fair to the tax paying pockets.
    I am now wondering would I have been better off if I never bothered to work,

Between having to pay for medical, mortgage, education for children, and God knows what else.

Life would have been one big holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Media (Paul Williams etc) bandwagoning on "widespread calls for him to withdraw", but not much reporting of widespread support which is quite clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

tretorn wrote: »
    I personally think the travellers are all of sub normal intellect.
    tretorn wrote: »
    You can see the inbreeding in their features

The mod on duty at the time decided to ignore the reports. What can you do when they're encouraging this behaviour.

dav3 wrote:
    The mod on duty at the time decided to ignore the reports. What can you do when they're encouraging this behaviour.

Are you hoping to get threads shut down?

I think that his comments beyond his initial point about ethnicity were ill-judged and unleashed a lot of fairly useless (in solving the problems) and dangerous hate speech. (read this thread as an example)
    He only told the truth with proof to back up what he was on about.
    I think people jump on these bandwagons fairly fast, Calling a person that is Irish like me a different culture or race is codswallop,
    If you are Irish, you are same as me and every other Irish person on this land,

Entitled to the same as everyone else, not more

goat2 wrote: »
    Equality for all is the issue Mr Casey was having, when people need a home, and one is provided, then you have some of the people asking for far too much, Stables for horses or whatever, than that is not being fair to the tax paying pockets.
    I am now wondering would I have been better off if I never bothered to work,

Between having to pay for medical, mortgage, education for children, and God knows what else.

Life would have been one big holiday

Laying the blame for the abuses of welfare and crime at the door of one community is where you start to slide into hate speech and discrimination. It undermines our democracy. That is why we have legislation to deal with hate speech.

Laying the blame for the abuses of welfare and crime at the door of one community is where you start to slide into hate speech and discrimination. It undermines our democracy. That is why we have legislation to deal with hate speech.

What are you talking about,
    What blame, the door of who,
    What Hate speech

I have listened to all speeches, did not get a hint of hate in any.

You don't have a clue what your speaking of , just going round in circles.

• Advertisement

But I’m not sure what hate speech Mr Casey said, that you state he said? He said the travelers in question shouldn’t be entitled to land for their horses and that they shouldn’t be classed as an ethnic minority.
    Science seems to back up Mr Casey’s argument regarding the genetics and why should they be entitled to land for their horses? They should be able to get what every other person in the land is able to get from the welfare system, no more no less.
    I fail to see the hate speech.

Genuine request Maryanne, can you link me to one commentator/journalist/ public rep etc supporting him, because I genuinely cannot find one.

I doubt that there is one. People are wary of voicing opinions against those who shout loudest! You see the outcry at his comments. He was cheered most in Pat Kenny’s debate. It’s sad that people are afraid to voice their opinions.

What are you talking about,
    What blame, the door of who,
    What Hate speech

I have listened to all speeches, did not get a hint of hate in any.

You don't have a clue what your speaking of , just going round in circles.

Already quoted some of the hate speech just on this thread as did another poster.

But I’m not sure what hate speech Mr Casey said, that you state he said? He said the travelers in question shouldn’t be entitled to land for their horses and that they shouldn’t be classed as an ethnic minority.
    Science seems to back up Mr Casey’s argument regarding the genetics and why should they be entitled to land for their horses? They should be able to get what every other person in the land is able to get from the welfare system, no more no less.
    I fail to see the hate speech.

Science backs him up?

Can you explain?

Science backs him up?

Can you explain?

The same, we here in this land are all the same

The same, we here in this land are all the same

You said 'Science backed him up'
    What 'science'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't think you'll get context off Dav3 he spent most of yesterday avoiding answering any of the claims he made. Told several porkies though. So honesty is not his bag.

Maybe Peter can just say he was being satirical if he called Leo the liar an Indian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You said 'Science backed him up'
    What 'science'?

Genetic investigations showed they are not a genetically distinct race, anymore than Donegal gaeltacht ppl are genetically distinct from cork gaelgoirs.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Genetic investigations showed they are not a genetically distinct race, anymore than Donegal gaeltacht ppl are genetically distinct from cork gaelgoirs.

Where are these investigations? Link

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Where are these investigations? Link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Descended from Irish and a sub group due to inbreeding within the sub culture.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0209/851399-irish-traveller-genetics/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement