Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

People have had enough.

84% on the live register.
    House break-ins one last night in fact by somebody I know the 2nd in less than a year.
    Intimidation and threatening behaviour is the norm in this so-called community.
    Extra state money is spent on these people that others far more deserving could not dream of.
    Venues wreaked at their weddings and funerals.

Their lifestyle for lack of a better word is a blight on the country and to say they contribute nothing is a gross understatement.

Hate speech discrimination yeah right everybody knows this is total bollox.
    The fact the rest of society is forced to subsidise this is outraging.

This is why all discussion is shouted down as hate speech and racism everybody and their dog knows this so-called community is terrified of being subject to fair scrutiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

They say there are about 40000 travellers in Ireland. It’s amazing that such a small minority can cast such a big shadow over the country. One way this can be seen is the amount of traveller proofing you see around the country. Most public lands, car parks, parks and private development land has to be traveller proofed with barriers, bollards, rocks, security gates etc. to make sure travellers can’t get in. We take it for granted but this is not the case in other countries. Next time you drive around take a second look and you’ll notice these features all for the benefit of stopping travellers occupying lands that aren’t theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

judeboy101 wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Descended from Irish and a sub group due to inbreeding within the sub culture.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0209/851399-irish-traveller-genetics/

Did you miss the most recent DNA analysis there:
    Irish Travellers are a distinct Irish ethnic minority
    The government have recognised that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

This is why all discussion is shouted down as hate speech and racism everybody and their dog knows this so-called community is terrified of being subject to fair scrutiny.

Several posters here who have called Casey a racist have so far refused to back up their claims, also applies to their claims of hate speech from Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You said 'Science backed him up'
    What 'science'?

No I said science seemed to back him up, as in travelers are not genetically different to other Irish people, which mr Casey said. (Correct me if I’m wrong)
    However after reading the latest studies, there does indeed seem to be a “genetic drift” between travelers and Irish people.
    I wasn’t aware of that before now.
    However I’m not sure how this entitles them to favorable treatment over other Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

tom1ie wrote: »
    No I said science seemed to back him up, as in travelers are not genetically different to other Irish people, which mr Casey said. (Correct me if I’m wrong)
    However after reading the latest studies, there does indeed seem to be a “genetic drift” between travelers and Irish people.
    However I’m not sure how this entitles them to favorable treatment over other Irish people.

Actually, due to outbreeding, its the rest of the Irish population who have drifted. If a group breed within their own communities without 'new blood' they don't drift. The rest of the population drifts.

No, Casey cast doubt on their 'ethnic status'. Which he was really not qualified and therefore not entitled to do.

tretorn wrote: »
    I really hope Peter Casey isnt beaten up or attacked with slash hooks.
    Its all very well saying he is brave and he is but he is an elderly man and will be no match for a hiace van full of thugs.
    A friend arrived home the other day to find a van full of travellers on her property. They tried to escape out the rear of the property and couldnt so just drove at her car parked at the end of the driveway and wrote it off.
    This woman and her family work all day everyday in a business adjacent to their home, they are now cancelling a holiday in case the gang come back. They are burglaring all around the town and stealing from people who having much to show really for working ten hour days six days of the week.
    This gang cleared out another local property, they stole 17000 worth of equipment that unfortuneately wasnt insured. They did this at 9 AM in the morning and came back two days later for a copper cylinder in the hotpress, they flooded the house causing huge damage.
    Vote Peter Casey, I dont live in a rural area so dont know what its like to be afraid to leave your home unattended. The travellers are getting more violent due to drug use and more brazen. They are also breeding out of control.

Just a friendly heads up the bit of your post I bolded could land you in hot water here animals breed we don't use that term about people no matter how much we may dislike them.

A better way to put it is welfare is encouraging them to have large numbers of children they can not support themselves.

I have noticed boards has left these threads open to let us have our say what a refreshing change.
    In order to have this discussion, we need to control ourselves and not use loaded language like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Did you miss the most recent DNA analysis there:
    The government have recognised that.

Genetics is science, ethnicity is a human construct, which like race, is used to separate people.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Genetics is science, ethnicity is a human construct, which like race, is used to separate people.

DNA is DNA. Humans cannot alter it as far as I know. Nor your genetic origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

We're all a little biased, it's built into us as humans. Take a look at this Sci-Show Psyche episode about implicit bias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGu_ughDGw

I agree with the point that it's ridiculous to turn down a house on the basis that there is no stable for my horse. The only people I would entertain that argument from would be those boys from Limerick with the plastic bags on their heads and they would have to be singing a song about a honda civic while they made their argument. ;)

I hate overly PC culture but also know the vulnerabilities that come with being a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PikeyPoint

Peter Casey makes a good point. Not PC but 100% accurate. Getting my vote.

No, Casey cast doubt on their 'ethnic status'. Which he was really not qualified and therefore not entitled to do.

Well, travelers received ethnic status last year, so he’s well entitled to call this decision into question if he sees fit, especially when there seems to be conflicting views on this in the world of genetics.
    Again though, what exactly did mr Casey say wrong, and where is the hate speech from him that you talk of?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did you miss the most recent DNA analysis there
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0209/851399-irish-traveller-genetics/
    The study also found that genetically Travellers are closely connected to Irish settled people, scotching theories that they descended from other population groups including European Roma gypsies.
    The researchers found that any genetic disparities between Travellers and settled people here are largely due to them remaining genetically isolated for several centuries and their numbers decreasing.
    The polite way of saying they're all inbred.

We're all a little biased, it's built into us as humans. Take a look at this Sci-Show Psyche episode about implicit bias:

I agree with the point that it's ridiculous to turn down a house on the basis that there is no stable for my horse. The only people I would entertain that argument from would be those boys from Limerick with the plastic bags on their heads and they would have to be singing a song about a honda civic while they made their argument. ;)

I hate overly PC culture but also know the vulnerabilities that come with being a minority.

Yes, I feel vulnerable every time a Hi-Ace van pulls up near my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

DNA is DNA. Humans cannot alter it as far as I know. Nor your genetic origin.

And does this DNA entitle you to not work and expect everyone else to pay for your sizeable welfare ? Build you a house with stables etc ?
    Go into other peoples property and rob it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGu_ughDGw

Yep. That’s fair enough and a balanced post, but it’s when people are not contributing to society, but taking all they can and demanding more, that’s when someone has to call it out.
    That someone is mr Casey and he’ll be getting my vote.

Well, travelers received ethnic status last year, so he’s well entitled to call this decision into question if he sees fit, especially when there seems to be conflicting views on this in the world of genetics.
    Again though, what exactly did mr Casey say wrong, and where is the hate speech from him that you talk of?

Well let him present his scientific findings then. Getting onto a podium and proclaiming something (that is based in DNA science) is false just because you feel it in your water is not a responsible or credible thing to do.

I said he incited hate by doing the above,(which is a criminal offence) I didn't say he himself indulged in hate speech although I think he went close enough in his follow up remarks.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Are you hoping to get threads shut down?

The thought police are looking for censorship of free speech as usual when such speech and thought goes against them.

hurler32 wrote: »
    And does this DNA entitle you to not work and expect everyone else to pay for your sizeable welfare ? Build you a house with stables etc ?
    Go into other peoples property and rob it ?

Nope and I never said it did. Keep the old hair on there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The nonsense he is pulling out is ridiculous posturing to keep him in the news headlines!!!!!

Nonsense? You wanna talk nonsense? Nonsense is your baseless claim that settled people are entering Traveller sites to do their dumping. You've been called out on it so many times and you don't have the backbone to even respond to it.

See this link for those who want a good laugh.

You have no credibility here.

Well let him present his scientific findings then. Getting onto a podium and proclaiming something (that is based in DNA science) is false just because you feel it in your water is not a responsible or credible thing to do.

I said he incited hate by doing the above,(which is a criminal offence) I didn't say he himself indulged in hate speech although I think he went close enough in his follow up remarks.

So if someone breaks into your house and you condemn them for breaking into your house, this is hate speech?

Peter Casey just said what a lot of people are thinking and well done to him for doing so.

So he incited hate (but didn’t say hate speech) by questioning a decision the government made last year?
    So if an opposition td questions the decision of increasing the state pension by €5, at the cost of hiking p.s.r.i by 2.5%, which would be a tax hike on working people, is that td not inciting hate against pensioners, going by your logic.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nonsense? You wanna talk nonsense? Nonsense is your baseless claim that settled people are entering Traveller sites to do their dumping. You've been called out on it so many times and you don't have the backbone to even respond to it.

See this link for those who want a good laugh.

You have no credibility here.

Jesus!:D

Yes

The nonsense he is pulling out is ridiculous posturing to keep him in the news headlines!!!!!
    1zqzm6e.jpg

That nonsense takes the biscuit.

So he incited hate (but didn’t say hate speech) by questioning a decision the government made last year?
    So if an opposition td questions the decision of increasing the state pension by €5, at the cost of hiking p.s.r.i by 2.5%, which would be a tax hike on working people, is that td not inciting hate against pensioners, going by your logic.

:confused::confused: Not it isn't.
    I and another poster have already pointed out the hate speech on this thread. Are you saying those comment are not just hate filled bile?

It is also hate speech to accuse an entire community because a number of them engage in anti social and criminal behaviour, especially when members of the settled community behave exactly the same way.

:confused::confused: Not it isn't.
    I and another poster have already pointed out the hate speech on this thread. Are you saying those comment are not just hate filled bile?

It is also hate speech to accuse an entire community because a number of them engage in anti social and criminal behaviour, especially when members of the settled community behave exactly the same way.

Massive increases in crime rates are part and parcel of living in the same vicinity as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

PikeyPoint wrote:
    Peter Casey just said what a lot of people are thinking and well done to him for doing so.

The poster you have responded to has already said he believes that it would be appropriate to jail Casey .

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The poster you have responded to has already said he believes that it would be appropriate to jail Casey .

What penalty would you like for people found guilty of incitement to hatred?

I know you think Casey is eligible for sainthood but generally, what do you think the penalty should be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

What penalty would you like for people found guilty of incitement to hatred?

I know you think Casey is eligible for sainthood but generally, what do you think the penalty should be?

7 years as president

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement