Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you posted above.

How?

He singled out a group in the same breath as saying everyone should be treated equally?

I don't give a sh*t About the feelings of travellers/junkies/spongers if you choose to live outside the boundaries of respect & Decency that society holds then you should not expect its protection.

Could you give a sh*t about anyone in honesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PikeyPoint

Suckit wrote: »
    How?

He singled out a group in the same breath as saying everyone should be treated equally?

So you also think we should all equally get a free house with stables attached? Shall we all equally accept a tax audit from the Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

joe40 wrote: »
    Casey is a joke at this stage especially if he talked about Varadkers Indian background. I don't know the context but can't think of any way it could be relevant.There are two things here. Traveller ethnic minority status, and traveller behaviour and lifestyle. They are distinct from each other.

If, being the optimal word here. And if he did, in what context was it talked about?

Leo is of Indian descent, it was fairly well championed how we were progressing as a nation, even having a gay - mixed race Taoiseach.

Though I'm still sceptical about what Casey said, if anything about Leo, and the context surrounding it.
    The ethnic minority status was granted by the government, and was not opposed by any elected representatives. He had no reason to challenge that, nor was he qualified to do so.In terms of behaviour and culture there are undoubtedly serious issues, but they will only be solved by better law enforcement and also the state dealing with genuine issues. But critically there needs to be better leadership from within the traveller community.They need to face up to the problems, one concrete improvement would be to ensure children stay in school.

Ironically enough, there was also a law passes that children born in this country shouldn't automatically be given Irish citizenship, and we now have a little boy of Chinese ethnicity, but Irish born, facing deportation because "its the law".

How any of our elected govt representatives can stand up and accuse Casey of racism/bigotry or divisiveness, due to him calling for equality - in the same week a young lad is potentially facing being booted out of the country, despite being born and bred here is a national embarrassment to them all.

No shame double standards, but nothing new sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The state needs to start treating everybody the same it's the only way to eliminate discrimination. That can only happen when the tax and social services are overhauled, but of course that would step on far too many unionised sacred cows.

• Advertisement

PikeyPoint wrote: »
    So you also think we should all equally get a free house with stables attached? Shall we all equally accept a tax audit from the Revenue?
    You're very selective in your replies..

Anyway, it could be argued, how much would the stables have cost them?

And integrating them into society (which is obviously what they were/are trying to do after classifying them differently last year)?

Would the cost outweigh the benefits (as the government see it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I fully agree with you about the law about irish born children not been citizens. It was a disgrace but came about due to racist scaremongering.
    What did casey hope to achieve by attacking traveller ethnicity. It is a side issue to the overall problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Suckit wrote:

He questioned why one group should get special treatment,he's right they shouldn't.
    Plenty of people call out the behaviour of travellers except from what I can see other travellers. Time they started taking responsibility for how their community is viewed and seek to change it.

I fully agree with you about the law about irish born children not been citizens. It was a disgrace but came about due to racist scaremongering.
    What did casey hope to achieve by attacking traveller ethnicity. It is a side issue to the overall problems

He wanted to make noise, to make people notice him, but fell on his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If, being the optimal word here. And if he did, in what context was it talked about?

Leo is of Indian descent, it was fairly well championed how we were progressing as a nation, even having a gay - mixed race Taoiseach.

Though I'm still sceptical about what Casey said, if anything about Leo, and the context surrounding it.

The context was criticising him for involving himself in the election.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    He questioned why one group should get special treatment,he's right they shouldn't.
    Plenty of people call out the behaviour of travellers except from what I can see other travellers. Time they started taking responsibility for how their community is viewed and seek to change it.

And you think the best people to do it are Traveller children?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was it not their sense of entitlement and arrogance he was attacking?
    Like wanting free land and stables as well as their state of the art 4 bedroom houses with solar panels all for free.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Could you give a sh*t about anyone in honesty?

There a plenty of different people in this world who deserve our help and respect, genuine people who find themselves in need of their fellow humans help. I will gladly and with joy in my heart help.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't the fact that they are not getting this land and stables they reputedly demanded not mean that they are 'not getting special treatment'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

how am I ducking? I explained above why I think what I do. Accept the opinion or don't, that's fine, I just think it a delicious irony to be baying for one man's right to have an opinion while ridiculing another for having one. Which is what you did.

Your opinion isn’t founded on any truth though.
    You said he incited hatred.
    He hasn’t.
    The fact is he voiced an opinion that a large proportion of the Irish population ALREADY had/have.

He is perfectly entitled to question why travelers should have a special ethnic class compared to other Irish people. Why shouldn’t he question this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The context was criticising him for involving himself in the election.

So it wasn't in a derogatory or racist manner, which imo is exactly the angle the indo were trying to imply with their catchy penned - low level headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't the fact that they are not getting this land and stables they reputedly demanded not mean that they are 'not getting special treatment'?

Christ Francie if they take the same route as the Cash woman will there be a big enough waiting room in any Tipperary Garda Station to hold them all?

It is the give us a house and what we want "or else" attitude.

Suckit wrote:
    And you think the best people to do it are Traveller children?

Well the older generations seem happy enough to behave the way they do, so yes the children are the best hope they have of changing the wider communities perception of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Culturally Appropriate House FFS

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Your opinion isn’t founded on any truth though.
    You said he incited hatred.
    He hasn’t.
    The fact is he voiced an opinion that a large proportion of the Irish population ALREADY had/have.

He is perfectly entitled to question why travelers should have a special ethnic class compared to other Irish people. Why shouldn’t he question this?

And I already explained this. Hatred of blacks already exists too, if you incite that you will suffer the penalty for it under law.

He is entitled to say whatever he wants, but he has to take responsibility for it and it's effects. If he set out to incite hate and that can be proved then he will pay the price.
    It is my 'opinion' that he did do it intentionally and to seek publicity. It is also my opinion that he knows that and has stepped back from the campaign to consider his position. A common act of those who think they may have done something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I really hope Peter runs. Anyone living in a town with travellers would agree with him. And he's right about Leo too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is F*cking ridiculous that it is even an argument or discussion..

This guy is looking to be the head of State. Tarred a body of People with one sweeping statement - Will have no power to do anything/change anything, and has opened up an uncountable amount of abuse for the few Travellers that do decide to go to School, and realised a pereception for many more young Travellers.
    This is most detrimental to young Travellers, who do not want to be tarred with the same brush, they must now be thinking that they cannot be unmarked.
    To a 12 year old the options must seem very limited.

And all because it comes from a person who makes a living ripping off people in a different way. F*ck off.

Explain how he “tarred a body of people with one sweeping statement”
    What was the statement?

And I already explained this. Hatred of blacks already exists too, if you incite that you will suffer the penalty for it under law.

He is entitled to say whatever he wants, but he has to take responsibility for it and it's effects. If he set out to incite hate and that can be proved then he will pay the price.
    It is my 'opinion' that he did do it intentionally and to seek publicity. It is also my opinion that he knows that and has stepped back from the campaign to consider his position. A common act of those who think they may have done something wrong.

Common act for those who get abuse for saying what they think.

That exists all across society. Where have you been?

They are not getting the 'stables and land' they allegedly demanded. No special treatment there then.

That exists all across society. Where have you been?

They are not getting the 'stables and land' they allegedly demanded. No special treatment there then.

And they refuse to move into the houses. Isn't that what Peter Casey was talking about? How insulting this is to the many homeless on the streets of Dublin. But you of course label it "incitement to hatred". Ridiculous!!!

Common act for those who get abuse for saying what they think.

Peter seems to have a penchant for saying what he thinks, whether it is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

So it wasn't in a derogatory or racist manner, which imo is exactly the angle the indo were trying to imply with their catchy penned - low level headline?

Well at least you're coming round to the fact he actually said it.
    “He being a member of an ethnic community himself, being Indian.”

Wonderful stuff from Casey. If the presidential race doesn't work out for him, I'm sure he'd have a very bright future in the DUP.

And they refuse to move into the houses. Isn't that what Peter Casey was talking about? How insulting this is to the many homeless on the streets of Dublin. But you of course label it "incitement to hatred". Ridiculous!!!

Any reports I have read has said they are happy for the houses to go to others as they are no good to them.

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote:
    Wonderful stuff from Casey. If the presidential race doesn't work out for him, I'm sure he'd have a very bright future in the DUP.

Any response to all the questions asking you for your evidence that Casey is racist?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement