Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Yet you have used the caveat imo about proof when asked. Good to know you have 'proof' . Personally I think the desk Garda would just view you as a crank, along with the others.

You don't require 'proof' to make a complaint. That is up to the Gardai, who must respond btw.

Whether they do or not, who knows. They clearly don't to criminality around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You don't require 'proof' to make a complaint. That is up to the Gardai, who must respond btw.

So you have no proof, sound so. I think the guards have more pressing matters than jumping to base less claims.

So you have no proof, sound so. I think the guards have more pressing matters than jumping to base less claims.

I said you don't require proof to make a complaint. Not that I didn't have 'proof'.
    My 'opinion' is all the proof I need. And it will be the 'opinion' of a judge that will convict him or not.

I said you don't require proof to make a complaint. Not that I didn't have 'proof'. My 'opinion' is all the proof I need. And it will be the 'opinion' of a judge that will convict him or not.

You need to provide the guard with a little bit more than your opinion, your opinion is just that yours and meaningful only to you. So now you think he will be in court to answer your compliant, lol. Sure you claim he should be jail for incitement to hatred that requires proof. Of which you have none. You're funny.

You need to provide the guard with a little bit more than your opinion, your opinion is just that yours and meaningful only to you. So now you think he will be in court to answer your compliant, lol. Sure you claim he should be jail for incitement to hatred that requires proof. Of which you have none. You're funny.

Once again, I think you don't know what you are talking about.
    All I need to do is make a complaint and provide the context. The Gardai take it from there.
    We complained, quoting this section of the act.
    3.—(1) If an item involving threatening, abusive or insulting visual images or sounds is broadcast, each of the persons mentioned in subsection (2) is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up hatred or, having regard to all the circumstances, hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

It will be a matter of opinion (of the Gardai and subsequently a judge) if he is charged or convicted of an offence.
    As I said, it probably won't get far but it is important that it be registered as a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All I need to do is make a complaint and provide the context. The Gardai take it from there.

It will be a matter of opinion (of the Gardai and subsequently a judge) if he is charged or convicted of an offence.
    As I said, it probably won't get far but it is important that it be registered as a complaint.

What part, of what he said, is stirring hatred ? Have there been attacks on travellers ?

I wonder if threats have been made against Casey or his family ?

Discodog wrote: »
    What part, of what he said, is stirring hatred ? Have there been attacks on travellers ?

I wonder if threats have been made against Casey or his family ?

The part where he generalised about all travellers.

The part where he generalised about all travellers.

How is that stirring hatred ? Has he said that we must attack travellers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Loose horses have brought a town the size of Galway 'to it's knees'? Are we sensationalising just a tweeny tiny bit here?

Travellers who break the law should be treated exactly the same as anybody else who breaks it.

The same people who pay for law and order and cctv in every other part of the country should pay for it.

Again I ask, whose fault is it that the law in the country is being ignored?

I fully agree with you there
    and now you can see where the majority of us come from
    that everyone is entitled to a home,
    but nobody is entitled to a stable or land, unless they pay for it out of their own pockets.
    It is very hard to see people sleeping on benches or in places like hotels for long time just because they don't have a home
    A home is essential, a stable is not

Discodog wrote:
    How is that stirring hatred ? Has he said that we must attack travellers ?

But it's incitement to hatred in his opinion, so that's all that counts, even if its not by definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

He actually said traveler's are Irish and no different to us, how is that racial hatred, he said that they were not of a different ethnicity so why were they been treated as such, he is not saying they are lesser than us, but they are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Suckit wrote: »
    And as for telling young travellers to start calling out their own community, cop on and do it yourself.

Erm, when we do that we're called racist.

Who is this WE that you talk about? Should it not read “I complained”?

He actually said traveler's are Irish and no different to us, how is that racial hatred, he said that they were not of a different ethnicity so why were they been treated as such, he is not saying they are lesser than us, but they are no different.

And any differences in their wellbeing, lifestyle etc are by their own choice. No one is forcing them to live this way.

Any reports I have read has said they are happy for the houses to go to others as they are no good to them.

What reason did they give, that they were of no use to them.
    Was it the solar panels

joe40 wrote: »
    The ethnic minority status was granted by the government, and was not opposed by any elected representatives.He had no reason to challenge that

I think anyone should have the right to challenge anything. The matter was never put to the people so it's fair enough to have a say.

Who is this WE that you talk about? Should it not read “I complained”?

No, if you were actually reading the thread you will see I and others...technically known as a 'group' made the complaint. ;)

dav3 wrote: »
    Throw up any quotes I haven't answered already and I'll get round to them eventually.

Are you this needy in real life?
    dav3 wrote: »
    I've said it before, nobody is logging on to this thread to watch you whinge and throw a tantrum because you didn't get the answer you wanted. If you've missed an answer it's tough sh*t.

You have an awful style of posting and engaging with others. Simply dreadful.

Omackeral wrote:
    You have an awful style of posting and engaging with others. Simply dreadful.

He's on another thread claiming the mods or wannabe mods are haters and racists.

No, if you were actually reading the thread you will see I and others...technically known as a 'group' made the complaint. ;)

I’d really appreciate if you could link me to this group you’ve been talking about. Even what day and rough time would do. I browse boards on my phone and it’s a balls. I had noticed your posts about why you thought it was incitement to hatred but they read as a personal view to you not that you were part of a group.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    What reason did they give, that they were of no use to them.
    Was it the solar panels

Well, the article that I read interviewed them and they were no use to them because they wanted to keep their horses, some of which they could trace back to horses their grandparents used.

I’d really appreciate if you could link me to this group you’ve been talking about. Even what day and rough time would do. I browse boards on my phone and it’s a balls. I had noticed your posts about why you thought it was incitement to hatred but they read as a personal view to you not that you were part of a group.

Link to the group??

They are other people I know. Nothing to do with here.

Link to the group??

They are other people I know. Nothing to do with here.

Ah that makes sense now, cheers.

So you emailed as a collective group then? Your post above said “we made a complaint” not “we’ve made complaints”?

Well, the article that I read interviewed them and they were no use to them because they wanted to keep their horses, some of which they could trace back to horses their grandparents used.

Where are they keeping these horses now ? Are they microchipped & registered ?

How are they funding the expensive upkeep of these horses ?

My grand parents used horses so I want a house with stables - OK with you ?

Discodog wrote:

Ah stop, they're lucky if they are getting fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Discodog wrote: »

How are they funding the expensive upkeep of these horses ?

My grand parents used horses so I want a house with stables - OK with you ?

No idea.
    And tbh, the point needs to be made. The issues around travellers are not going to be solved by cherrypicking worst cases to discuss or by telling ever increasing scare anecdotes.
    I actually thought his 'trip to Tipp', and not meeting with the families was one of the most cynically exploitative things done in any Presidential campaign I have been witness to.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

What pisses me off so much is when your after doing a long days work and you tip into Tesco to get a few bits on the way home. They park their big 181 van right at the door blocking others going in and out. They swan around the place in their pyjamas. Not a care in the world. Such a country to live in. You'd have to ask yourself, what are you at?

No idea. And tbh, the point needs to be made. The issues around travellers are not going to be solved by cherrypicking worst cases to discuss or by telling ever increasing scare anecdotes. I actually thought his 'trip to Tipp', and not meeting with the families was one of the most cynically exploitative things done in any Presidential campaign I have been witness to.

I'm sure it was equally uncomfortable for some that in the middle of housing crisis there were people turning down housing because their free house does not come with stables.

• Advertisement

Could they not have rented out stables and land

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement