Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

A few weeks ago a vocal spokesperson for the traveler community called the Garda scum, no national news outlet pulled him up on it

the other day one of the main spokesperson for Pavee point stated on RTE that it was Irish societies fault that there was a disproportionate amount of travelers in Irish prisons and again no one pulled him up on it

Thats not been treated as equal, thats been treated differently to the rest of us, give people an inch, they take a mile.

By the way, I know plenty of decent travelers, but just as many scummy ones as well, with a chip on their shoulder and some with no respect for the law in this country

My post was not clear, the problem is those not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

goat2 wrote: »
    Had they not applied to have a house from the council in first place.
    Are they happy with their present place of residence,
    I am guessing they are, since they have been 50 yrs residing there.

You say, they are not homeless.
    What gave the council the idea they are homeless

They say they are very happy were they are. Make of that what you wish.
    Seems the animals are very important to them. Make of that what you want to.

The dangers of discussing an issue through the prism of one or two incidents.

Will be interesting if that story ever appears on RTE.
    it's the sort of story that will never be confirmed by the Irish authorities due to "no comment on issues concerning the Security of the State".

The PSNI are simply saying "no security issues from our perspective"-the Gardai will simply say "no comment". The "story" is dead in the water before it even get's off the ground, if i can mix my metaphors, that is, if they even are metaphors to begin with. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Surely the boys up in the ivory tower are starting to listen?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Poll was taken between the 5th and 16th of Oct. Casey's remarks were on the 17th. I doubt he will be last after the amount of support his comments have gained.

It would be interesting to know about all the other polls. What was the date range and how long after the final date was each poll published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can see Casey finishing second. He has whether it was intentional or not started a conversation about Travellers which imo is badly needed.

Exactly how I feel.
    I'm not even interested in the entire bunch trying to freeload as president.
    The debate on travellers behaviour in general needs to be had. As for being an ethnic group well that's just mad.

As for being an ethnic group well that's just mad.

Whether you think that or not, makes no difference. it's prescribed in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

In fairness Robinson did some good. She highlighted the plight of Somalia when the west did not give a flying f**k. Can't think of any thing about Higgins tenure in office that I would put in the same category.

He definitely hasn't been as visible as the previous two.

It's a more Paddy Hillery style of president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Exactly how I feel. I'm not even interested in the entire bunch trying to freeload as president. The debate on travellers behaviour in general needs to be had. As for being an ethnic group well that's just mad.

They are an ethnic ( own culture/language well some of them)group still just as Irish as the rest of us thiugh. The use of the racist charge is just to stifle debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

When will we know if Peters running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

dav3 wrote: »
    Shh, don't ruin the dream. Peter Casey flying around Ireland in his helicopter, looking down on the common folk, is a true man of the people.

Ya Dav HE'S helicopter, so what are ya hinting at, some one can't spend their own money on themselves.

Icsics wrote: »

Don't you mean, 'has he stopped running?' :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

He'll get my vote. It's about time someone with cajones said what was obvious. I know he has got pilloried for it but he has my respect for being straight up about it. Sadly we live in an Ireland which demands everyone toe a certain line on all issues and those that don't get quickly pulled into line.

Icsics wrote: »

A good guess would be "When Peter tells us he is". :P

holyhead wrote: »
    He'll get my vote. It's about time someone with cajones said what was obvious. I know he has got pilloried for it but he has my respect for being straight up about it. Sadly we live in an Ireland which demands everyone toe a certain line on all issues and those that don't get quickly pulled into line.

What other issues would you like him "not to toe the line" on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whether you think that or not, makes no difference. it's prescribed in law.

Indeed it is. Snuck in without any debate with the general population.

Indeed it is. Snuck in without any debate with the general population.

Like a lot of other laws, some of which i disagree with. But that's life. Ballot box is the only way to change that.

I personally don't disagree with the special ethnicity been provided to Travellers- but if it's not supported with a total support structure, then it's much worse than not having such a law in the first place.

Welfare, immigration,

For a start.

We are supposed to be living in a democracy which in theory entitles one to free speech. I just read an RTE piece on the presidential election which mentions that the pole too place before Peter Casey's controversial remarks. He simply stated what we all knew so why is it controversial. I want a President who says what he thinks not one who is dictated to by spin doctors. I'm sick to the back teeth of political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Robbed from the Vegan forum
    beertons wrote: »
    464132.jpg

• Advertisement

Welfare, immigration,

For a start.

If he said he was in favour of open borders and welcoming all, and that welfare should be doubled, then effed off for the weekend, how would you feel?

holyhead wrote: »
    We are supposed to be living in a democracy which in theory entitles one to free speech. I just read an RTE piece on the presidential election which mentions that the pole too place before Peter Casey's controversial remarks. He simply stated what we all knew so why is it controversial. I want a President who says what he thinks not one who is dictated to by spin doctors. I'm sick to the back teeth of political correctness.

Nobody stopped him from saying what he wanted but he has to own what he said. But he fecked off for the weekend to consider his position.

If he said he was in favour of open borders and welcoming all, and that welfare should be doubled, then effed off for the weekend, how would you feel?

Well I wouldn’t vote for him.

That’s the magic of democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Nobody stopped him from saying what he wanted but he has to own what he said. But he fecked off for the weekend to consider his position.

I think we all know he took the weekend off, must be about 20 times you have repeated that same line. Any word on your hate crime compliant ? Have the Gardai started to investigate Casey yet?

I think the fact that he did "own" what he said this week, has prompted this little reflection now. ;)

The reason he might be considering his position is when you state an obvious fact, one which is known but never publicly stated, the politically correct brigade ready the rope for the gallows for the one person prepared to stick his neck above the parapet.

It's absolute nonsense. It's the same nonsense that permits a 'tram surfer' to win 500k in compensation.

Well I wouldn’t vote for him.

That’s the magic of democracy

But would you disagree with him? Would you be right to disagree with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I really hope he stays in the Race...everyone I've met this week is voting for him, even my ultra conservative dad. Everyone is fed up with the Margaret Cashs of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That is a 'source' within the PSNI commenting on the official 'no comment' statement from The PSNI.

Not sure what to make of that.

The pertinent line from that article is this one.
      "It would be inconceivable that the President of Ireland would not have been afforded security if it had been requested," a PSNI source told the BBC.

I hadn't much interest in the bloody debate at all until I heard this mentioned in the debate, followed by Higgins tripping over himself to try and regain some dignity by rejecting a suggestion that driving wasn't good enough for him seconds later by saying he drove to Derry.

I was indifferent to MDH as president until the extravagance stories started to leak.

For balance , I've no issue with extravaganza, but don't like having piss streaming down my back while the pisser tales me it's raining.

Casey has the balls to point it out - the emperors got no clothes on.

• Advertisement

The pertinent line from that article is this one.

I hadn't much interest in the bloody debate at all until I heard this mentioned in the debate, followed by Higgins tripping over himself to try and regain some dignity by rejecting a suggestion that driving wasn't good enough for him seconds later by saying he drove to Derry.

I was indifferent to MDH as president until the extravagance stories started to leak.

For balance , I've no issue with extravaganza, but don't like having piss streaming down my back while the pisser tales me it's raining.

Casey has the balls to point it out - the emperors got no clothes on.

So the 'source' says. You and I know Johnny how that attribution 'sources say' is
      handy hide behind for media to run stories that have no bearing in fact.
      For all we know the 'source' is some disgruntled loyalist ex RUC man with a grudge.

I will let this 'story' develop a wee bit more before I give it the time of day tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement