Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The two women Robinson and McAleese did a fine job as Presidents. Higgins has again turned it into a retirement home for politicians. We the people and the office of President deserve better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

How convenient.

Nah, Casey was definitely mistaken (either that or lying). There is no record of Michael D Higgins objecting to a halting site. There is, however, a record of Michéal Ó hUiginn objecting on one occasion in 1968, before Michael D was a councillor. Judging by his conduct throughout this campaign (before any of the anti-traveller stuff), I doubt Casey will have the decency to acknowledge that he was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There was no truth in it whatsoever. Apparently he may have confused him with a Fianna Fail councillor by the name of Michéal Ó hUiginn.

Ha ha and has Micheal O hUiginn access to the Govt jet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I asked you earlier are you really that naive to think anyone else other than the McCarthys will be able to live in those houses in any type of comfort?

Is this the 'would you live next to a halting site' question?

It isn't a halting site, they have lived there for 50 years.

Are you saying they would intimidate the new tenants?

I'll be sticking another 20 on President Casey for the win
    Anyone i spoke to won't be voting or will be voting Casey

A fool and his money.

Reminds me of some whiney middle class Democrat on CNN the morning after Trump was elected - "But everyone I know voted for Hillary!"

• Advertisement

Francie that looks to me like a pretty official statement from the PSNI,

I thought it hard to believe at first that the President of Ireland wouldn't have had security provided for him while in another part of the island, and now they (PSNI) Seem to want to come out and defend themselves - rightly so if Higgins is spoofing to defend his use of a Lear jet while simultaneously sending his official car on ahead to Belfast to wait for him arriving by air.

Higgins said that he was did so after security advice, the offical security forces deny this.

Not sure if it's an intentional pun, but Higgins purpose in Belfast was quite ironic.

:pac:

It is certainly not good for Higgins, not so much spinning around in the jet, more that he lied.

It needs to be addressed, what were the 'logistical and security' problems that led to it.
    Officially the PSNI are saying nothing in that statement.

Nah, Casey was definitely mistaken (either that or lying). There is no record of Michael D Higgins objecting to a halting site. There is, however, a record of Michéal Ó hUiginn objecting on one occasion in 1968, before Michael D was a councillor. Judging by his conduct throughout this campaign (before any of the anti-traveller stuff), I doubt Casey will have the decency to acknowledge that he was wrong.

He might need another weekend off...oh wait, there's none left. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The RTE poll thats coming out is very fake news
    MAKE IRELAND GREAT AGAIN
    AND HIGGINS SHOULD BE GOING TO JAIL FOR THE WAY HE'S SQUANDERING MONEY
    10K FOR GROOMING HIS FILTHY MUTT DOGS FFS
    the ordinary person struggling now to get winter shoes or coats for their children
    and the mongos calling Casey a racist should be ashamed of themselves

Trumpism style politics alive among a handful in Ireland. Instead of jail Hillary, jail Michael D... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-sparks-outrage-with-his-racist-remarks-on-travellers-37428508.html
    PRESIDENTIAL candidate Peter Casey is facing calls to pull out of the race after claiming Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority because they are "basically people camping in someone else's land".

2 days later

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/10/19/theres-not-a-racist-bone-in-my-body/
    Casey: “You know, I was surprised beyond belief. I thought we’d got way beyond this. I didn’t even realise that there had been this law passed last year giving special ethnic status to…”

Lawlor: “You didn’t know that Travellers were recognised in Irish law? Under Irish law?”

Casey: “I didn’t. I hadn’t realised that.”

Lawlor: “That this is a conversation and indeed a campaign that had been waged a long time and it had come up several times over several…”

Casey: “There’s so many things that have been going on. I’ve been, as you know, it’s only in the last year or so that I’ve moved back full time to Ireland so it’s…”

A man who tells it like it is, except he doesn't know what it is.

Well he's definitely going to be elected on the first count going by his support on here.

I fully expect him to get us invaded or cost us billions in trade through one of his hilarious gaffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The RTE poll thats coming out is very fake news
    MAKE IRELAND GREAT AGAIN
    AND HIGGINS SHOULD BE GOING TO JAIL FOR THE WAY HE'S SQUANDERING MONEY
    10K FOR GROOMING HIS FILTHY MUTT DOGS FFS
    the ordinary person struggling now to get winter shoes or coats for their children
    and the mongos calling Casey a racist should be ashamed of themselves
    Is this a real post?
    Make Ireland great again.... Lol

The dog grooming thing seems to be BS.
    The fact you use the word mongos...says it all..... vile.

Keep wasting your money betting on casey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Just heard the poll taken up to Tuesday and the reporter saying it’s a guaranteed md is back in.

Once again fake news and trying to shut Casey down.

Put him on 2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Just curious... how many of ye have put a bet on Casey to win? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

dav3 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-sparks-outrage-with-his-racist-remarks-on-travellers-37428508.html

2 days later

Well he's definitely going to be elected on the first count going by his support on here.

I fully expect him to get us invaded or cost us billions in trade through one of his hilarious gaffes.

You lefties don’t and will never get it:)

dav3 wrote: »

2 days later

He has succeeded in opening the can of worms that needed to be opened regarding the Travellers and their sense of entitlement and criminal ways.
    That is what is so annoying for the powers that be and their media.

He has succeeded in opening the can of worms that needed to be opened regarding the Travellers and their sense of entitlement and criminal ways.
    That is what is so annoying for the powers that be and their media.

So, we all know there are issues with the traveller community. What are his solutions?

twirlagig wrote: »
    Just curious... how many of ye have put a bet on Casey to win? :)

I've put the entire balance of my Paddy Power account on him to finish second. Not that I think it'll happen - but at least if it does somehow happen, something good will come out of it now.

464245.png

So, we all know there are issues with the traveller community. What are his solutions?
    He has no solutions, in general he is just throwing mud hoping something sticks.

He also seems to have no idea what being the president entails, he would be an utter embarrassment internationally.

Don't know or care what his solutions are. First time I saw him was on the debate.
    The Traveller issue does need to be addressed though. The teenage weddings, fist fights, attacks at funerals, crimes against the elderly,non education of their children, wife beating, etc etc. plus a CAB investigation into their unexplained wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I've put the entire balance of my Paddy Power account on him to finish second. Not that I think it'll happen - but at least if it does somehow happen, something good will come out of it now.

464245.png

Can't believe you'd gamble that much, that's obscene. It may happen, plenty of retards.

464245.png
    Are you sure you can afford to lose that kind of money!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 terminator2018

It is certainly not good for Higgins, not so much spinning around in the jet, more that he lied.

It needs to be addressed, what were the 'logistical and security' problems that led to it.
    Officially the PSNI are saying nothing in that statement.

copy "not so much spinning around in the jet"
    so why is higgins sh1tting on and writing cack poetry about the environment if he has no problem getting his lazy arse around in a lear jet
    a phoney

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

464245.png

I've made a slightly bigger bet on the same outcome (got in at 16/1 a few days ago) :D:

33aw22a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 terminator2018

A fool and his money.

Reminds me of some whiney middle class Democrat on CNN the morning after Trump was elected - "But everyone I know voted for Hillary!"
    you'd be the fool not to have a few bob on a 100/1 shot in a 2 horse race
    when one of the horses is half-knackered

you'd be the fool not to have a few bob on a 100/1 shot in a 2 horse race
    when one of the horses is half-knackered

Paddy Power - smart man. Paddy Power for President anyone? He'd have plenty of money anyway. :)

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you sure you can afford to lose that kind of money!?!

Not really, but it's a risk worth taking. The things I could do with €12.87...

Don't know or care what his solutions are. First time I saw him was on the debate.
    The Traveller issue does need to be addressed though. The teenage weddings, fist fights, attacks at funerals, crimes against the elderly,non education of their children, wife beating, etc etc. plus a CAB investigation into their unexplained wealth.

What Casey has done is transfer this debate to the presidential election, where it doesn't belong. If he loses, the debate disappears, possibly forever unless all the quoted '90%' and 'the majority of the people' can get there lazy arses into gear and get their lazy arsed TD's to do something about the issues.
    By not winning, Casey will have set the chances of you getting what you want back years.
    Reality drips slowly.

What Casey has done is transfer this debate to the presidential election, where it doesn't belong. If he loses, the debate disappears, possibly forever unless all the quoted '90%' and 'the majority of the people' can get there lazy arses into gear and get their lazy arsed TD's to do something about the issues.
    By not winning, Casey will have set the chances of you getting what you want back years.
    Reality drips slowly.

It has always been denied. What Casey has done is wake up the general population to it. They are now talking about it everywhere. Questions are now being asked by people who previously would not dare to ask. E-mails sent by loads of people to TD's, radio and t.v. shows, tax offices etc.
    Nothing much might come from it but at least people are now asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It has always been denied. What Casey has done is wake up the general population to it. They are now talking about it everywhere. Questions are now being asked by people who previously would not dare to ask. E-mails sent by loads of people to TD's, radio and t.v. shows, tax offices etc.

It was partially Casey but i think Tipperary Co Council deserve some of the credit for kicking all of this off. We need to have a debate for the good of both sides.

Running a narrative of being "fearful" just wont cut it anymore, if you want to experience real fear be one of the rural or urban dwellers who are harassed by the bad elements of this group.

Will you accept that the vote Casey gets represents the amount of people who think this is an issue?

The debate about travellers has been around since I was a child. I have never been aware of it being censored or restricted and I have seen many of the accusations and generalisations on these pages many many times too. I am 56 yrs of age.

• Advertisement

Will you accept that the vote Casey gets represents the amount of people who think this is an issue?

The debate about travellers has been around since I was a child. I have never been aware of it being censored or restricted and I have seen many of the accusations and generalisations on these pages many many times too. I am 56 yrs of age.

I'm older and have never heard seen people as angry about it as they are now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement