Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm older and have never heard seen people as angry about it as they are now.

Fair enough. A presidential election spat, we had that the last time too.

Can you answer my question now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Will you accept that the vote Casey gets represents the amount of people who think this is an issue?

The debate about travellers has been around since I was a child. I have never been aware of it being censored or restricted and I have seen many of the accusations and generalisations on these pages many many times too. I am 56 yrs of age.

Casey isnt trying to make it an issue, it is one comment he made, then he defended it.

If he was tring to make it an issue the next thing he'd do is find a business owner in dublin and be on the media offering margaret cash a job as a cleaner instead of her pounding the streets in her limited edition nikes while waiting for the kids to finish school.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fair enough. A presidential election spat, we had that the last time too.

Can you answer my question now?

It won't really because some of the candidates are aligned to political parties so will vote to get their man in.
    Now if there was a separate vote on whether people thought Travellers had a sense of entitlement and were criminal minded we'd have a landslide "yes" in my opinion,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 terminator2018

it's a bit sinister the way the big establishment parties and their shills and rte are all backing michael d

It won't really because some of the candidates are aligned to political parties so will vote to get their man in.
    Now if there was a separate vote on whether people thought Travellers had a sense of entitlement and were criminal minded we'd have a landslide "yes" in my opinion,

Yeh, I would probably agree with that re: party faithful.

To my mind Casey would have to be getting in the 40%'s for this to signify a 'plague' or '90%' of people having major issues in towns and villages 'on their knees' due to traveller activity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    Just another one of the many balls up by Casey.

MDH made a bigger balls up regarding the Lear to Belfast and car to Derry tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

it's a bit sinister the way the big establishment parties and their shills and rte are all backing michael d

I imagine it would have happened with McAleese and Robinson too if there were an election at the time. However at this point in time, the fact they're not back a member of Sinn Féin or the Dragons is hardly shocking. Also RTE are backing nobody, they're being impartial.

Are you saying they would intimidate the new tenants?

I'm not saying it, but I can guess what the outcome would be if the council house anyone else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

How many have voted on the Boards poll on presidential race, get on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Not sinister at all - most people, whether all the right-wing men on the internet agree or not, think he's been a good president. If the establishment parties had put someone up against him, it's likely that he would have trounced them. They're supporting him because they want to bask in his reflected glory, rather than having another Gay Mitchell moment.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it, but I can guess what the outcome would be if the council house anyone else there.

:D:D:D:D Peter will never be out of the race with simpering insinuations like that anyway. :D:D

Not sinister at all - most people, whether all the right-wing men on the internet agree or not, think he's been a good president. If the establishment parties had put someone up against him, it's likely that he would have trounced them. They're supporting him because they want to bask in his reflected glory, rather than having another Gay Mitchell moment.

They're supporting him because they are saving the money for a GE.

Peter will never be out of the race with simpering insinuations like that anyway.

Not an insinuation, an assumption based on experience

Not an insinuation, an assumption based on experience

So, do you think they will be intimidated or not?

'I'm not saying it - I'm assuming it'.

Jesus H!

So, do you think they will be intimidated or not?

'I'm not saying it - I'm assuming it'.

Jesus H!

You having trouble understanding what I said?

You having trouble understanding what I said?

No I am not.
    You won't say it, you just assume it will happen.

Caseyspeak I think I will call that. You win a weekend off! Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

They're supporting him because they are saving the money for a GE.

Fine Gael TDs have printed out lots of 'Vote for Michael D' leaflets with their own photographs on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

To my mind Casey would have to be getting in the 40%'s for this to signify a 'plague' or '90%' of people having major issues in towns and villages 'on their knees' due to traveller activity.

To be honest, I think if Casey was to go from 2nd percent to 20 percent come election day, that would more than signify that there is broad agreement with his comments. I will say he is not ideal presidential material mostly because I feel he is a poor public speaker. You would therefore have to think that there will be a big percentage of the electorate that agree with his comment yet don't vote for him. Say 1 in 3 who agree with him might only vote for him to be president. With that in mind, should he achieve 20 percent in the vote, it would be pretty clear that a majority of the population agree to some degree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I got chatting to a neighbour today in his 70s. Haven't spoken to him since the summer.
    I mentioned the presidential election, in the sense of "Did you see all the presidential stuff this week" and that was it.
    Before I got further, he goes "I tell you what, I will be voting for that Casey fella"
    He elaborated then, stuff I on't post here but he is not a happy bunny with his experience of travelling community and he is voting for Mr Casey.

rovertom wrote: »

[/Unquote]

To be honest, I think if Casey was to go from 2nd percent to 20 percent come election day, that would more than signify that there is broad agreement with his comments. I will say he is not ideal presidential material mostly because I feel he is a poor public speaker. You would therefore have to think that there will be a big percentage of the electorate that agree with his comment yet don't vote for him. Say 1 in 3 who agree with him might only vote for him to be president. With that in mind, should he achieve 20 percent in the vote, it would be pretty clear that a majority of the population agree to some degree with him.

20% extrapolated into a majority. Wow, that is neat! I may have to take a weekend off to study that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lesliescott586

“I will not quit race” - Peter Casey

Indo has him polling at 2% , hardly accurate?

“I will not quit race” - Peter Casey

Indo has him polling at 2% , hardly accurate?

2% before his 'gaff' or 'play'. We aren't sure which because he is considering his position.

No I am not. You won't say it, you just assume it will happen.

Say what? Do I think the traveller families will make it impossible for anyone else to live in the stable less houses, of course I do. As I said past experience forms my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Not nearly as sinister as soon as autumn2018 gets banned from posting in this thread terminator2018 appears with the same far right talking points...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lesliescott586

2% before his 'gaff' or 'play'. We aren't sure which because he is considering his position.

After, tomorrow’s paper, saw it on Twitter. Won’t let me link on mobile.

Fine Gael TDs have printed out lots of 'Vote for Michael D' leaflets with their own photographs on them.

Cool story, any more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

20% extrapolated into a majority. Wow, that is neat! I may have to take a weekend off to study that!

Its pretty simple. There having been frequent comments here stating that surely people are not going to vote for a president based on a single comment re travellers. Im agreeing with this. Some will vote for him based on his traveller views alone while other will agree but require more than that from the president.
    With 20 percent, the people will have spoken and Im damn sure it will result in a new political party being formed in the near future.

Say what? Do I think the traveller families will make it impossible for anyone else to live in the stable less houses, of course I do. As I said past experience forms my opinion.

So you retract your

You are positive sure now that a family that have lived for 50 years, apparently happily, on a site that suits their lifestyle, will suddenly turn rogue and intomidate people moving into houses that were 'no good to them'?

Is there any point asking for proof of what you are basing this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The journal.ie are running a poll on whether you know who you'll vote for not actually which person, look at the comments section, you can decipher whos winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Zonda999 wrote: »

Why in the name of God are RTE not reporting that there is a question mark about this?
    They would go after any indiscretion that might be on the side of Peter Casey.
    They are unbelievable sometimes.

Get out and tell your friends and family vote for Peter Casey.
    This is the opportunity to send a message because if his campaign gets nobbled, notes will be taken, changes made to make sure this is not allowed to happen gain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement