Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending my Bank Details as email attachment

• 17-10-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a number of customers who want to pay me by Bank Transfer rather than cheques.

I know the customers well and the now asking me to forward them my Bank Details.

How would you recommend that I get this info to them?? The best option is to send them back as an attachment with all the details on a Headed Paper.

Am worried that this attachment could be 'phished' somewhere along the line.

Would I be better putting my details within the body of an email??

I see some companies have a system of password locked security that needs a password to open. They then send a password in separate email.

Any ideas to help me protect myself on this???

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Pick up the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What are people going to do with your BIC and IBAN? Send you money? I think you'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Masala

Pick up the phone!

I agree.... but alot of office juniors want it in hard copy from me so that they have a reference to refer to if anything goes wrong in taking it down over the phone.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Masala

RossieMan wrote: »
    What are people going to do with your BIC and IBAN? Send you money? I think you'll be alright.

So why are the phishing emails looking for your Bank details???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's generally card numbers they're after with that. They prey on the stupid who don't know the difference.

Direct debits is all you can set up with an IBAN, and they're very easy to have refunded.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's generally card numbers they're after with that. They prey on the stupid who don't know the difference.

Direct debits is all you can set up with an IBAN, and they're very easy to have refunded.

So are credit cards, I had a transaction through my account recently and rang the bank and they just refunded it. I still don't know how they got it, I am super paranoid about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pick up the phone!

Absolutely not: that's just asking for transposed digits.

Give them something they can copy and paste from.

Absolutely not: that's just asking for transposed digits.

Give them something they can copy and paste from.

So, eh, unsecure e-mail is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

As someone who is likely to ask for bank details so I can make payment, I would only accept an "official looking" hard copy on letterhead etc if the business was anything other than someone I already knew, like my plumber or something.

There's a couple of reasons for this.
    1. If a mistake is made in inputting the number you have a record of the number supplied. (already pointed out)
    2. cuts down the likelihood of being given the personal bank details of the office staff by "mistake"

As others have said, it's not really something you need to overly protect, unlike card numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So, eh, unsecure e-mail is it?

Yeah, you're right. Should just stick to cheques I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Some companies have their bank details on their website for payments. You should be ok emailing them. Most places would have the details on their invoices.

Other option is to post them on headed paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why isn't your IBAN on the invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

The issue here is that the email or letter is intercepted and the IBAN is changed.

Thus the payer "unknowingly" pays to the IBAN of the criminal thinking they are paying the real company (there are a few documented cases of this happening in Ireland).

There is not much the payee company can do about this other than making sure your computer systems are not compromised and putting a notice on the invoice for the payer to confirm your IBAN by contacting a know trusted party of your company.

The ideal solution is for a proper Europe wide e-invoicing solution with request to pay functionality. The Euro Retail Payments Board (ERPB) is working on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

One great function in PayPal is the ability to create an invoice including secure payment. Works really well.

Outside of this, add the IBAN on the PDF invoice. The risk that it will be hacked is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Masala wrote: »
    So why are the phishing emails looking for your Bank details???

THey're looking more for your logon to your online bank account so they can clean out your account.

People get into any awful panic over bank details as if people can just wipe you out.

However, they have no problem sending somebody a cheque in the post that contains all your bank details and a sample signature.

Emailing the iban and bic will be be fine. The worst thing people can do is pay money into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Send the IBAN in an e-mail, ask them to phone you to confirm the details. The risk of the e-mail being hacked is extremely low.

The fraud that happens in this case is that after the event, a fraudster sends an e-mail which looks like it's coming from the supplier. It asks the customer to note a change of bank account. The customer accepts this on it's face, transfers money to the new account and it disappears down a black hole.

Bear in mind that when you hand someone a cheque, it has your bank details (branch code and account number) on it and this is still going on thousands of time a day, especially in the agricultural community.

user1842 wrote: »
    The issue here is that the email or letter is intercepted and the IBAN is changed.

Thus the payer "unknowingly" pays to the IBAN of the criminal thinking they are paying the real company (there are a few documented cases of this happening in Ireland).

There is not much the payee company can do about this other than making sure your computer systems are not compromised and putting a notice on the invoice for the payer to confirm your IBAN by contacting a know trusted party of your company.

The ideal solution is for a proper Europe wide e-invoicing solution with request to pay functionality. The Euro Retail Payments Board (ERPB) is working on this.

Just ask the company to e-mail a confirmation of the IBAN they are paying to.

Seriously what are the chances of the email or letter being interpreted by criminals?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just ask the company to e-mail a confirmation of the IBAN they are paying too.

Seriously what are the chances of the email or letter being interpreted by criminals?

Unfortunately it happens:

https://www.bpfi.ie/fraud-alert/invoice-re-direction-fraud/

user1842 wrote: »

Never said it doesn't but it's very rare.

The chances of your email being intrecepted by criminals, altered and resent are very slim.

It's like thinking that you could get hit by a car when crossing the road. It happens everyday but does not mean that it's bound to happen to you and therefore you should never cross the road.

Plus getting the supplier to confirm the details after is the solution.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Never said it doesn't but it's very rare.

The chances of your email being intrecepted by criminals, altered and resent are very slim.

It's like thinking that you could get hit by a car when crossing the road. It happens everyday but does not mean that it's bound to happen to you and therefore you should never cross the road.

Plus getting the supplier to confirm the details after is the solution.

For emails it is not usually an interception but a email from a faked address that looks like a supplier invoice.

A phone call supposedly from the supplier saying to update the IBAN is also another way.

For paper invoices it is usually an interception/theft of the original physical invoice which is then altered.

I agree it happens in very few cases and can be easy stopped by confirming details.

Unfortunately some high profile cases make people worried:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0509/961346-invoice-fraud-arrests/

• Advertisement
Advertisement