Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Voltage regulator I terminal mystery

Options
  • 17-10-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

So I'm rewiring the car at the moment, pulled out everything and I've decided to move my voltage regulator, pulled off the connection and there is nothing going to the "I" terminal... nothing.

My understanding is that the I terminal is from the Ignition and provides the signal to excite the field, therefore the car couldn't have worked without it (no alternator anyway).

A few years ago I replaced the alternator and all it needed was the F(ield) and not the S(tator), so I had removed that wire

Could the alternator have worked without the I connected on the Regulator or is it more likely that the connector fell off when I started my rewiring and I didn't notice it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

Have you an alternator or dynamo fitted? If so what model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mustang68

Got this solved, so I'll put a bow on it for future generations!

(for the record it was a TuffStuff alternator without voltage regulator, for Fords, think the guts are GM)

The alternator doesn't need the "I" connected, assumed that that was Ignition, it is in fact for the charge Indicator light.

Advertisement