Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local sports shop selling counterfeit shoes?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I bought a pair of Nikes from my local sports shop (locally owned, not a chain). On closer inspection, I’m 99% sure they are counterfeit shoes! How do I go about returning them? I have a receipt. They were a sale item, would this affect a return?

Also- they were bought for me as a present, so I have the receipt but not the card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Contact Nike on 01 5251800

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

freeth wrote: »
    I bought a pair of Nikes from my local sports shop (locally owned, not a chain). On closer inspection, I’m 99% sure they are counterfeit shoes! How do I go about returning them? I have a receipt. They were a sale item, would this affect a return?

Also- they were bought for me as a present, so I have the receipt but not the card.

To confirm if they are indeed counterfeit I'd suggest contacting Nike,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you want to return them, you're dependent on store policy, which typically means two things (if they even allow change-of-mind returns):
    • Refunds go back via the method they were paid for
    • Sale items are excluded

If you want to use your customer rights... well, you can't, you're not a customer. The person who bought them would have to take them back.

You may be able to get something by contacting the manufacturer, but again, you're dependent on their policies, there's no requirement for them to do anything.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 18 freeth

I called nike and they said they are going to check if the shop is an authorised reseller or not.

I can get the original card to the refund if necessary.

I’m more worried about going in and they deny it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I called nike and they said they are going to check if the shop is an authorised reseller or not.

I can get the original card to the refund if necessary.

I’m more worried about going in and they deny it!

Even if they are not an authorised reseller that does not mean that the shoes are fake. Nike can only tell you that after examining them. Have you asked Nike if the shoes are actually fake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 freeth

Even if they are not an authorised reseller that does not mean that the shoes are fake. Nike can only tell you that after examining them. Have you asked Nike if the shoes are actually fake?

I gave them a list of reasons over the phone why I thought they were fake. They said they can’t tell me (over the phone, I guess) whether the shoes are counterfeit or not.

I lived in Asia for a time so I feel I’m good at spotting the small details! Obviously not as eagle eyes at time of purchase though :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if they are not an authorised reseller that does not mean that the shoes are fake. Nike can only tell you that after examining them.

+1 they could be a 'grey import' i.e. genuine Nike merchandise but brought into the country by an unauthorised distributor. So I don't know what Nike are doing by checking if the retailer is an 'authorised reseller' or not because that has no bearing whatsoever on whether the shoes are genuine Nike or not.

They could still be fake even if the retailer is an authorised reseller. Unlikely, but possible. So the retailer's status with Nike really has nothing to do with it.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 they could be a 'grey import' i.e. genuine Nike merchandise but brought into the country by an unauthorised distributor. So I don't know what Nike are doing by checking if the retailer is an 'authorised reseller' or not because that has no bearing whatsoever on whether the shoes are genuine Nike or not.

They could still be fake even if the retailer is an authorised reseller. Unlikely, but possible. So the retailer's status with Nike really has nothing to do with it.
    If they're an authorised reseller, Nike will likely start their own investigation. If they're not, they'll likely wash their hands of it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

28064212 wrote: »
    If they're an authorised reseller, Nike will likely start their own investigation. If they're not, they'll likely wash their hands of it

Do you really think so? Nike (and other major manufacturers) are very keen to stop the import of fakes and provide support to customs to help them do it. What makes you think they will just ignore possible fakes?

Do you really think so? Nike (and other major manufacturers) are very keen to stop the import of fakes and provide support to customs to help them do it. What makes you think they will just ignore possible fakes?
    Acting on individual possible cases is a waste of resources. They can't possibly follow up every time someone thinks their new Nikes aren't flawless (not saying this is true in the OP's case). In a scenario like the OPs, they're going to want to make sure none of their official resellers are involved. If they're not, they'll probably just refer the OP back to local authorities (who, like you say they already have a relationship with)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They do follow up on individual cases. It gives them a handle on the entire supply train.
    28064212 wrote: »
    Acting on individual possible cases is a waste of resources. They can't possibly follow up every time someone thinks their new Nikes aren't flawless (not saying this is true in the OP's case). In a scenario like the OPs, they're going to want to make sure none of their official resellers are involved. If they're not, they'll probably just refer the OP back to local authorities (who, like you say they already have a relationship with)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

They could be Outlet Stock.

They are of slightly lower quality than the standard retail stuff.

I've noticed it myself at nearly every outlet when comparing to the local retail store (i.e. single stitching instead of double, lower quality buttons etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

redcup342 wrote: »
    They could be Outlet Stock.

They are of slightly lower quality than the standard retail stuff.

+1 Never ceases to amaze me how some brands can flog substandard gear to the masses in outlets without damaging the brand image so they still maintain the pretence of 'exclusivity' about the brand and occupy space in upmarket stores like Brown Thomas.

Standout example is 'Polo Ralph Lauren' which has 322 items on the BT website, despite half the country walking around in pretty ordinary RL shirts that they bought in outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Customs deal with counterfeit goods. You could report to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

There are 101 ways to spot fakes. Labels, shoe box quality are good starts.

Also Google the article number on the label (12345-001 for example). Nike are using a new code now for all new shoes so it depends what you got.

There are other things like size etc which are give aways.

Replicas and fakes are the same. Counterfeit. Ireland is flooded with them just now.

Op I collect/buy/sell runners so if you want to PM me pictures, I may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are plenty of online guides for spotting fakes of particular models -of anything.

Advertisement