Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT work on a WHV

Options
  • 17-10-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering has anyone any tips regarding this.

Hopefully planning to go to Oz next year with my gf she will be a qualified nurse with a good bit of experience. She also has Oz citizenship. I am currently in the IT industry at the minute but I have heard mixed reports of getting a company to take you on, when you are a working holiday visa.

Would I be better off trying to get the skilled visa or does this take longer?

I know you can get sponsored also,

We were thinking either Melbourne or Sydney.

Again apologies if this has been asked before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering has anyone any tips regarding this.

Hopefully planning to go to Oz next year with my gf she will be a qualified nurse with a good bit of experience. She also has Oz citizenship. I am currently in the IT industry at the minute but I have heard mixed reports of getting a company to take you on, when you are a working holiday visa.

Would I be better off trying to get the skilled visa or does this take longer?

I know you can get sponsored also,

We were thinking either Melbourne or Sydney.

Again apologies if this has been asked before

How long are you with the gf? Is a de facto visa an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Noo wrote: »
    How long are you with the gf? Is a de facto visa an option?

Around two years. She is like me she has dual citizenship she is Irish/oz left there when she was a kid not to sure whether she has to renter the country to reactivate the citizenship or something?

Unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you have dual citizenship with Oz/Irish then why are you getting a WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

pete4130 wrote: »
    If you have dual citizenship with Oz/Irish then why are you getting a WHV?
    I have dual with the UK. Not oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Come over on your UK passport or even just bring the UK passport. There is a better reciprocal medical agreement between the UK and Australia than Ireland and Australia.

If you are together 2 years then you can apply for Defacto visa now, before you even enter the country. It costs about $6000-$7000.

If you arrive and get a WHV and go the defacto route, you may have to wait out your WHV until the defacto visa kicks in (you usually go onto a bridging visa prior to your 820 Temporary Partner Visa while you wait for your Permanent Residency 801 visa to come through.)

This basically means your working rights will still be in line with the WHV, 6 months with 1 employer at a time etc... if you get the ball rolling now with defacto visa then you should be able to land and have full working rights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement