Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If found in bar, please return to race!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Also never noticed an incline there. There's definitely a drag along the Howth Road stretch that is more noticeable on the second lap of the 2 milers say. And there's that downhill on the first corner.

Anyway, a lovely mile debut - well done! Hopefully see you down for some of the summer series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, it's barely noticeable. Strava suggests that the last "lap" (0.25m) had an elevation gain of 11ft.

I'm very sceptical about Garmin/strava elevation gain claims - the watch doesn't measure elevation as such, but rather matches the GPS to an external elevation database, that is not very reliable around flat areas that are prone to development - ever noticed the hill on the Irishtown track, for instance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical about Garmin/strava elevation gain claims - the watch doesn't measure elevation as such, but rather matches the GPS to an external elevation database, that is not very reliable around flat areas that are prone to development - ever noticed the hill on the Irishtown track, for instance? :D

That one's a killer, not as bad as the seafront in Clontarf though.

That one's a killer, not as bad as the seafront in Clontarf though.

Mount Yachtclub, I call that one.

Race report: BHAA BMS 5k

In the day or two leading up to this, there was a fair bit of apprehension. Even though Bob Heffernan 5k has been the target of this training block, I'd decided that it'd be a good idea to have a few tune-up races and sure if I managed sub-20 in any of them, it was job done. Even though my last 5k in Tramore Parkrun a couple of weeks ago had been a PB at 20:29, I'd struggled from 2k in. It'd been a warm morning, I'd had a couple of glasses of wine the night before and my mouth was very dry and I'd no water. Basically all of the excuses. The Raheny Open Mile had definitely gone better, but again, I'd struggled a bit with my mouth drying out, but a time of 5:58 suggested that sub-20 might be possible a week later at the BHAA event. Had I over-achieved in the open mile or under-achieved in Tramore?

I left work a few minutes earlier than usual to make sure that I got home in plenty of time to get changed and head off to catch the bus out. Cycled home via the most direct route for a change. Got home, said hi to A and got changed into my race gear and put an extra layer on. Packed a couple of things into my bag, filled a water bottle and jogged to Harts corner to catch the bus. Once on the bus I could already feel tiredness in my legs. Part of me felt that I was getting the excuses in early. Tried to convince myself that I just needed to get them going with a decent warmup.

No delays on the bus at all, so got there in plenty of time. Number pickup was quick and well organised and within a couple of minutes I was ready to go. Took off the base layer, dropped of the bag and went to warm up. Bumped into Wubble within a couple of hundred metres and turned around to run and chat with him for a couple of minutes then turned again and completed my warmup.

After a few minutes waiting at the assembly point near the start, we were allowed to line up at the start line. It was split into two waves, sub-25 and over-25 minute. Took my place in the middle of the sub-25 wave, about 8-10 rows back and right behind Wubble as it turned out. I couldn't hear the starter, so just watched for movement in front to use as a cue to start my watch.

The start was fast and things opened up quickly. By the first corner I was settling in and finding similarly paced runners. One was from ESB and I stuck with him for the first 2k. There was some passing but not much. The first k passed without much of note happening, the legs feeling okay and the breathing in check. Just after the start of the second k we passed the finish line and the funnel for the first time and then turned back towards the roundaboud that would bring us back across the start line. This was a nice stretch, really nice surface (as most of the course was), very slightly downhill and with the wind. We were slowly working our way through the field at this stage [4:01, 4:01].

At the 2k marker, I needed water for the first time, as my mouth was already starting to dry out. After the second k, the ESB runner seemed to slow a bit, so I pushed on myself. I passed Wubble along here and he shouted words of encouragement as I went by. I was starting to feel the effort by now, but was still overtaking and working my way through the field. Even though we were only in the third k, I was started to have to convince myself that I could keep up the pace. It probably didn't help that a lot of the third k was into the wind and possibly slightly uphill (less so than the end of the Raheny Open Mile, but still uphill :) ). Through the 3k mark and I changed tack in my attempts to convince myself, saying that if I could get to 4k at this pace, I'd have broken it's back. At about the 3.5k I heard the heavy breathing of another runner nearby, which reminded me that switching my own breathing pattern from the usual 3-2 to a 2-2 pattern would likely be of benefit at this point, as I knew that my own breathing was starting to get laboured. I just tried to focus on my breathing for the next while and stay on pace until I got to the 4k mark [4:00, 3:55].

With only 1k to go, I knew that I just needed to hold on to make that much sought after sub-20 PB. The only problem was that the last k was net uphill into the wind. I tried to keep running strongly into the wind. I knew by this stage that barring a catastrophe, I'd probably make my sub-20. Turned the final corner and picked up the pace, overtaking a couple more runners. As we entered the final 50-60 metres, I knew that I'd done it and could relax and hold my place. But I'd a choice, there were a couple of runners just ahead on either side of the road with just enough space between them for a small person such as myself. Decision, settle for sub-20 or finish strongly? That space was made for me! I opened up and made it between them but didn't stop there and overtook a few more for good measure, the last less than 5 metres from the finishing line [3:46].

Stood in line in the funnel to get my position recorded and tried to catch my breath. Sub-20! Got some water after that and just sat on the grass basking in the achievement. Looked at the finishing time on the watch, looked at the splits, looked at the finishing time again, smiled. Looked at the road and considered a cooldown, but the legs didn't like the idea. Instead, headed back to the bag-drop, collected my stuff and went and got changed. Looked at the phone and spent the next few minutes annoying A by not letting her know how I'd done. She knew well enough that if I was trying to annoy her that the run had gone well.

Checked the bus times and went off for a cooldown along the bus route, rechecking the live bus times every couple of minutes and eventually stopped when the bus was only a few minutes away. Off the bus again at Harts corner and tried a slow jog home but HRM spiked so discarded the run and walked. Tried again a few minutes later with much more positive results on the downhill from Smurfits with thoughts of my PB beer, that A had waiting in the fridge for me.

At this point, I'm still awaiting the official results, but time should be between 19:45 and 19:48, depending on whether I started and stopped the watch on time...

Edit: Came home in 68th place - Official time 19:46

Splits|Time|Cumulative Time|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR|Avg Run Cadence
    1|04:01.0|04:01.0|0.62|06:28|145|161|190
    2|04:01.3|08:02.3|0.62|06:28|163|168|187
    3|04:00.7|12:03|0.62|06:27|168|174|190
    4|03:55.5|15:59|0.62|06:19|173|175|189
    5|03:46.5|19:45|0.62|06:04|175|178|193
    6|00:00.3|19:45|0|01:13|174|174|208
    Summary|19:45|19:45|3.11|06:21|165|178|190

• Advertisement

Great stuff, Paul. I'll be awaiting those official results with interest myself as you may have out-PB'd me. ;) Many congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great stuff, Paul. I'll be awaiting those official results with interest myself as you may have out-PB'd me. ;) Many congrats!

The BHAA site is going to be exhausted the amount of times I've hit refresh today.

aquinn wrote: »
    The BHAA site is going to be exhausted the amount of times I've hit refresh today.

Might be up by the weekend. :D

Might be up by the weekend. :D

If that's the case, their hosting bill could have them running out of funds before then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice going P, great racing and nice new PB.

• Advertisement

The results of the BHAA jury are in, my official time was 19:46

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The results of the BHAA jury are in, my official time was 19:46

Delighted for you Paul. That's exactly how I like to run a 5k. Really great running. I'm sure there will be a new PB at the Bob Heffernan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Very well done P and really well done, nice splits. Enjoy the feeling and then onwards again I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's a really good result, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Amazing result, well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats, great time!

Sorry about that D. I guess you'll just have to put me back in my place at the Bob Heffernan 5k ;)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice going P, great racing and nice new PB.

Thanks B
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Delighted for you Paul. That's exactly how I like to run a 5k. Really great running. I'm sure there will be a new PB at the Bob Heffernan too.

Cheers S. I'm not sure if being able to increase the pace in the final k shows that I was strong or that I was going too slow for the first 4k.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Very well done P and really well done, nice splits. Enjoy the feeling and then onwards again I'm sure!

Cheers L
    That's a really good result, congratulations!

Thanks M
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Amazing result, well done!!

Cheers V. Your IMRA report has me itching to give it another try. Ran Run the Line last year and it was great.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Congrats, great time!

Thanks E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Very well ran, hope the PB beer(s) went down well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report, P... I hope you're still basking in the achievement and looking at the splits every hour or so :D

Congrats again, great achievement, you've made some progress!!

love that you tortured A a bit at the end... :pac: :pac:

Plan:
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3 miles easy + strides
    Wednesday: BHAA BMS 5k
    Thursday: 4 miles recovery
    Friday: 8 miles easy (?)
    Saturday: Parkrun
    Sunday: 6.2 miles easy

Actual:

Monday: Nothing

Tuesday: Had to do a couple of jobs to do at lunchtime, so got into the running gear in work, cycled home via a few locations and then ran back into work, throwing in a few strides in Fairview Park in for good measure. A bit faster than easy pace, but all felt good so went with it.

Distance: 2.68 miles in total

Wednesday: BHAA BMS 5k - PB 19:46 - Previous PB: 20:29 - Race report posted back a ways on the thread

Distance: 7.06 miles in total

Thursday: An achey 5k recovery around Glasnevin and Drumcondra. Lots of stops to feel sorry for myself.

Distance: 3.11 miles @ 9:22, avg. hr: 127

Friday: Nothing. After the run on Thursday, I decided to knock this on the head, as the legs were really feeling Wednesday's race.

Saturday: At a wedding with A in Donegal, so partook of some parkrun tourism in Letterkenny. Nice friendly crew of volunteers and runners.

Distance: 4.32 miles in total, Parkrun 26:59

Sunday: We were both tired after drinking and dancing at H & L's wedding, so headed out for a short enough run in the afternoon.

Distance: 3.5 miles @ 9:15, avg. hr: 134

Overall, lots of missed or shortened runs this week, but worth it for the sub-20.

Weekly totals
    Running: 20.70 miles
    Cycling: 25.81 miles

YTD totals
    Running: 388 miles
    Cycling: 532 miles

• Advertisement

Plan:
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 6.2 miles easy (either Tues or Weds)
    Wednesday: 6.2 miles easy (either Tues or Weds)
    Thursday: 4, 2x3, 3x2, 4x1 min progression
    Friday: 10m lsr
    Saturday: Parkrun
    Sunday: Rest

Actual:

Monday: Easy miles around one of the local routes. Effort levels good.

Distance: 6.22 miles @ 9:08, avg. hr: 135

Tuesday: Nothing

Wednesday: 6.2 miles easy running early doors in London. Not used to running at 7am. Nice cool, morning with a bit of a breeze, which helped keep the effort levels and HR down.

Distance: 6.3 miles @ 8:57, avg. hr: 130

Thursday: Progression interval session, one from the stable that I'm reusing. Altered the paces to account for improved 5k times. Was meant to progress from tempo down towards vo2 max, but not actually hit vo2 max. A couple of the intervals were a bit hotter than intended, so not completely to plan.

Actual session was meant to be 4, 2 x 3, 3 x 2, 4 x 1 minute all off 90s recoveries.

Targets were:
    4 min @ 7:22 - 7:11
    2*3 min @ 7:00 - 6:50
    3*2 min @ 6:41 - 6:32
    4*1 min @ 6:24 - 6:16

Headed out with A, who was out for an easy run. After warmup, I pushed on with the session.

Splits|Time|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Avg Run Cadence
    3|04:00|0.57|07:04|149|182
    5|03:00|0.43|06:55|156|188
    7|03:00|0.44|06:53|157|189
    9|02:00|0.3|06:37|159|194
    11|02:00|0.3|06:37|157|187
    13|02:00|0.31|06:28|159|190
    15|01:00|0.16|06:07|150|191
    17|01:00|0.16|06:12|151|196
    19|01:00|0.16|06:24|154|196
    21|01:00|0.16|06:11|151|191

Distance: 7.33 miles in total

Friday: As I was in Newcastle for the weekend, I decided to get the long run out of the way on Friday before the flight. Used a goto route, out the canal to Ashtown and back via a loop of the park.

Distance: 10.25 miles @ 9:05, avg. hr: 132

Saturday: Up the hills of Newcastle to the Town Moor for Parkrun and back down again. Parkrun completed in 25:51.

Distance: 5.76 miles in total

Sunday: Didn't feel like staying out late on Saturday night for some unknown reason so was in bed by midnight and grand to take in the sights of Newcastle on Sunday morning. Ran along the Tyne and crossed a few bridges.

Distance: 4.11 miles @ 9:13, avg. hr: 126

Overall for the week 6 days running, but the cycling was severly curtailed due to all of the travelling. Legs were still a bit tired after the 5k last week early in the week, but improved as the week went on and were fine on Sunday despite the higher than usual mileage.

Weekly totals
    Running: 40.05 miles
    Cycling: 11.61 miles

YTD totals
    Running: 428 miles
    Cycling: 543 miles

Best of luck tomorrow evening P, run well!!

Plan:
    Monday: Rest / Cross
    Tuesday: Club session
    Wednesday: 6.2 miles easy
    Thursday: 6.2 miles easy
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 5 miles easy
    Sunday: Rest

Actual:

Monday: Took a detour on the cycle home via Raheny.

Distance: 11.27 miles @ 14.2mi/h, avg. hr: 122

Tuesday: Club session, 8 * 600 off 200 active recovery. All was going well until the start of the final rep when Singer lapped me, the shame! My excuse is that his recoveries were far too fast :P

Seriously though, the session was tough enough as always, but had a couple of runners around me for the most part. I was definitely feeling it by the end, although still managed to push the final rep a bit. That said, overall the splits were consistent, with only a 3 second spread, ignoring the final interval when I pushed it a bit.

Splits|Time|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR|Avg Run Cadence
    1|02:17.7|0.37|06:09|133|143|186
    2|01:19.6|0.15|08:51|144|149|179
    3|02:18.4|0.37|06:11|146|151|188
    4|01:23.5|0.15|09:29|143|158|179
    5|02:19.4|0.38|06:10|149|153|186
    6|01:31.1|0.15|10:23|151|155|175
    7|02:20.7|0.38|06:13|156|163|184
    8|01:23.2|0.15|09:11|157|163|177
    9|02:17.9|0.37|06:09|158|162|187
    10|01:29.1|0.15|09:47|158|166|173
    11|02:17.6|0.37|06:07|160|166|189
    12|01:32.7|0.16|09:41|161|165|173
    13|02:17.5|0.38|06:01|162|168|187
    14|01:31.6|0.15|10:08|161|166|171
    15|02:15.9|0.38|05:59|161|172|190

Wednesday: Ran home from work along the canal. It was the warmest run that I've endured so far this year. First half was uphill with the sun pretty much directly in my face. Second half mostly downhill and with some shade, but by that stage, my legs were feeling it. Based on the amount of water I drank subsequently over the course of the evening, I reckon that I was a bit under-hydrated going in to this. Something to be aware of for the future.

Distance: 6.01 miles @ 9:21, avg. hr: 140

Thursday: Took another detour via the coast and Raheny on the cycle home.

Distance: 11.25 miles @ 15.0mi/h, avg. hr: 131

Home and out again in double quick time with A, before the legs seized up again. Plan was for another 6 miles, but the legs were still feeling Tuesdays session, so we decided to take it easy with a couple of laps of Albert College Park. Needed a couple of stops during the first two miles, but by the third the legs were feeling much better and I probably could have continued, but erred on the side of caution and we turned back down the hill.

Distance: 4.12 miles @ 9:34, avg. hr: 131

Friday: Steak

Saturday: Marlay Parkrun with A (27:18). Short warmup and cooldowns.

Distance: 5.00 miles @ 9:17, avg. hr: 133

Sunday: Nothing

Weekly totals
    Running: 23.15 miles
    Cycling: 41.33 miles

YTD totals
    Running: 447 miles
    Cycling: 581 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy!

Plan:
    Monday: 2/3 mile shakeout
    Tuesday: Bob Heffernan 5k
    Wednesday: 3 miles recovery
    Thursday: 6.2 miles easy
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Parkrun - pacing 28 minutes, 3 min jog, 5x20 sec hard / 40s
    Sunday: 11 mile lsr

Actual:

Monday: Very easy few miles locally with A. Added 4 strides in the third mile along Grifith Avenue.

Distance: 3.11 @ 9:33, avg. hr: 124

Tuesday: Bob Heffernan 5k or #PB+SBFest2019

Got a lift to Enfield with Murph_D, along with annapr and fbot. Number collection was quick and simple. Bumped into fellow Cru runners Singer and C and headed off for a warmup to the start line and a few strides.

The start was a bit disorganised, with the pace car making it's way through the runners to the start line shortly before we were given the green light.

With a three, two, one, we were off. The road quickly opened up for me, with a couple of faster runners pushing on I quickly got to my own race pace with clean air in front of me. Checked pace within 10 seconds and was close to target at 3:55 already. Tried to keep it steady, passing a few runners and being passed in turn by others. I could see both C and SkyBlue out in front and in an around the 1k mark, Murph_D eased past. [3:59]

Through the 1k marker and the legs were feeling good as we rounded the first of two corners. I found myself towards the back of a big enough group that seemed to be targetting sub-20 so it was easy enough to keep the pace on target, with only the odd check of the watch. One of the group seemed to be pacing one or two clubmates and was plenty vocal, keeping everyone on their toes. The only other thing of note was that I got a shock at the 2k marker, which was nice and big, with a 3K on it and small writing that I only saw when I got closer (Only 3k to go). Before I was that there were a couple of confused glances at the watch. The real 3k marker wasn't long in coming up though. [3:57, 3:59]

Onto the 4th k and I was starting to feel the heat. As I've learned during my last few 5k races, my mouth gets very dry and once again I was glad of the near-empty water bottle, which had just enough left after the warmup to keep the mouth for turning into the Sahara for the duration of the race. By this point, the main pacee within the group was starting to flag a bit, and as a result the entire group was starting to slow as well as the pacer tried to encourage him along. About 3.5k in, I moved to the front of the group on the inside in an attempt to stay on sub-20 pace. Rounded the last corner and was greeted by the 4k marker. Only one to go. [4:00]

At this stage, I tried to pick up the pace a bit, but not too much, maybe 3:55/6. Was passing some runners and a couple of walkers. Seeing runners walking at this stage made me more determined to finish strongly. At the 4.5 mark I was on the left behind another club runner. I'm sure I recognised the vest, but couldn't tell you the club. Murph_D breezed past me. I pulled out from behind and tried to follow, but felt that I needed to manage the effort a bit and let him go. It wasn't until 150 to go that I felt that I could really push on for the finish, but by that stage, D was well gone and finishing strongly for his own PB. As seems to be par for the course, I overtook 4-5 runners on the final run in to claim a small PB of my own, only 3 weeks after my first sub-20 in the BHAA race in Ballycoolin. [3:46]

Headed off for a bit of a cooldown with Singer, Murph_D and C. All of us managed to PB last night, so there was much backslapping and congratulations.

It was great to see all of the PBs and SBs last night on Strava and catch up with some boardsies as well as meet and put faces to some more names from these parts. Gave the sandwiches a miss but nabbed a biscuit or two. Decided belatedly to get a tea, but couldn't have timed that any more badly, as they starting clearing away just as we got there.

Splits|Time|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Avg Run Cadence
    1|03:59.1|0.62|06:25|151|186
    2|03:57.4|0.62|06:22|167|189
    3|03:59.1|0.62|06:25|172|190
    4|04:00.7|0.62|06:27|175|189
    5|03:46.8|0.62|06:05|178|185
    6|00:01.3|0.01|02:46|182|208
    Summary|19:44|3.11|06:20|168|188

In the BHAA race three weeks ago I'd run a very similar race, with a steady first 3k before pushing on and finishing on a 3:46 final k. Last night was warmer and more humid, but in some ways I felt more comfortable and didn't need the same level of self-convincing to continue as the race progressed.

I'm reminded of something my dad always said when we'd play golf many years ago. On leaving a putt short, he'd say that leaving the ball "on the amateur" side was the worst thing I could do. The basic idea being that if you don't hit the ball hard enough, it'll never drop into the hole. For the next outing, I think that I need to push myself a bit more from the off and try to hold on, instead of taking a more conservative approach and having something left in the tank for a fast finish, after all, it isn't all about negative splits.

Distance: 6.16 miles in total

Well done again on yet another 5k PB P, that was one happy car trip back to DNS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nicely done P. Good recognition that it was time to get clear. Congrats on the latest PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great running, well done on the PB! You're flying it at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done P. It’s funny reading all the reports and you mentioning each other and the car driving through etc. looking forward to what happens when you aren’t as conservative. Sounds like that pb will be coming down for another while yet.

• Advertisement

Took me 17 months to get the second sub-20. Not you - super performance. Well done, mister.

Advertisement