Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If found in bar, please return to race!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Run well tomorrow; put all that training and committment into the race and enjoy the post race hydration!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have a good day out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best P, look forward to the celebrations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck tomorrow. Some great progress made during this block.....show it all off tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. Some great progress made during this block.....DFIU :)

I fixed that for you J!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

KBC Dublin Marathon 2019 - Race Report

Pre-race

Got up and made toast with some jam and had a banana before getting into my run gear and making final preparations. A was giving me a lift in and we were to collect Murph_D and annapr on the way. Traffic was heavy so we eventually left A at Pearse Street and walked up Westland Row to Merrion Square. A few minutes delay and time to say hi to Duanington before we were in. Dropping the bag off was done in 30 seconds and chatted with a friend S for a while before making my way towards the toilets and wave 2. Heard an announcement that there were plenty of toilets down at the waves, so kept going, only to be greeted by a wall of queues for the relatively small number of toilets near the Pepper Canister church. Eventually gave up on the portaloos at 8:55 and headed towards the start line. Noticed lots of others peeing against the side of a truck along Herbert Street, so took the opportunity and hoped to hell that I wouldn't have to stop en-route for a number 2. Turned onto Baggot Street and towards the start. I could see some pacing balloons up ahead, but couldn't quite make out the time on them until I got close...3:50...and they were moving off...bugger. Walked along amongst the throng of people towards the start line, starting the watch as I did. I noticed that it had lost it's GPS signal, but not much I could do about that, other than hope it'd catch a signal quickly.

Miles 1-5 - 8:08, 7:54, 7:58, 7:52, 7:56

I'd been warned about the first turn onto Leeson Street, but stayed a bit to the left and it wasn't too busy. I knew that I'd have to negotiate the 3:50 pacers early enough, but took it easy, aware that I'd be losing a few second here and there for the first while. When a gap opened up I took it, but other than that I tried to keep weaving to a minimum. Across the Liffey and a shout out from G&G and up through Stoneybatter where my dad was dragged up many moons ago. By this stage I'd caught up with the 3:40 pacers and took a while to get through them and onto clear road again. Up Aughrim Street and onto the North Circular Road, I can see the 3:30 pacers up ahead of me, something that I'll get used to seeing over the next 10 miles. Into the Park, around the zoo and then up Chesterfield. A lot of my training and particularly my MP miles have been doen around the Park, so I'm not worried about the long drag. Get my first shout of the day from A (the first of many), who's near the Phoenix monument supporting with BG.

I noticed fairly early that the mile markers didn't match up with my Garmin, but I'd my pace band with 5 mile splits to check-in, so I wasn't too worried. I knew that I was to be on pace for 8:00 minute miles at 5 and 7 mile markers respectively. Passed the 5 mile with 40:05 and was feeling good at this stage, wasn't chasing the 3:30 pacers and was keeping to my own plan. Took my first gel of the day.

Miles 6-10 - 7:52, 7:57, 7:30, 7:37, 7:46

Miles 6 and 7 through Castleknock were all that I'd expected, with a great crowd. The only downside to the bigger crowd was that I missed my mam who was out supporting and she missed me as well. Passed the 7 mile marker here well after the watch had beeped. As I pass the marker, the watch is on 56:02 with the pace band having a 55:58 target, so pretty much bang on pace.

I start to feel a bit of a stitch coming on, but it never gets too bad and disappears completely after a couple of miles. I resist the temptation to sneak a look at my HR along here, something I'll manage for the entire 26.48 miles.

Past Castleknock College and the onto the first proper downhill section of the day. I keep pace with those around me, while trying to not overdo it on the paces along Tower Road. Back into the Park and onto Upper Glen Road before exiting the Park to go through Chapelizod. Pass an old schoolmate coming into Chapelizod and chat for a minute before I head on. She ran a great race overall and achieved a PB. The crowd around Chapelizod is great and it gives me a real lift. Target for the 10 mile is 1:19:21 and once again even though the mile paces are a bit hot according to my Garmin, I'm pretty much bang on target at the 10 mile marker.

Miles 11-15 - 8:02, 7:53, 7:54, 7:56, 7:51

Over the bridge and left towards the first "real" challenge of the day; the hill on St Lawrences Road under the Chapelizod Bypass. Try to keep the effort levels even and get up without any issues. Once up the hill, I take my second gel. I take a minute or two to give me time to recover before upping the pace again. The 3:30 balloons are still a good way ahead of me, so I'm happy enough that I'm not forcing the pace at all. All going to plan, they'll come back to me in the next 10 miles.

Just keeping things ticking over now as we head towards the halfway point. Pass that and again I seem to be pretty much on track time-wise. The results suggest that I passed halfway earlier than I think I did and a big increase in pace between the 20k mat and halfway mat suggests that there's something fishy in the official numbers. Reading other reports and looking at other results seem to back this up. The 3:30 pacers are slowly coming back to me and it's taking a bit of self-control not to push on and reel them in more quickly. Coming towards the Walkinstown roundabout I realise that I'm in uncharted teritory, over 14 miles @ MP. I do a quick system check and for the first time wonder whether I can keep the pace up, even though I'm still feel strong for the most part. It's getting warmer and I'm trying to find shade when ever I can.

Miles 16-20 - 7:51, 7:51, 7:45, 7:50, 7:58

Through Walkinstown roundabout and towards Terenure, with a detour up Fortfield Road and along by Bushy Park. Take my third gel along here. Coming past Bushy Park I finally reel in the third of the 3:30 pacers and settle in to the group. Part of me wants to push on again immediately, but I'm starting to feel the effort more and decide to stay put. Through Terenure and once again there's A supporting, this time with her mother and sister. They only just see me as I'm tucked in at the back of the pacing group. By the 20 mile marker I'm starting to struggle and find myself ever so slowly falling off the back of the pacing group. I'm not that worried though, as I know that I started behind them and they'll be looking to finish 30 seconds or so inside the target. Fourth gel taken at 20, not sure why I waited. I was meant to take it at 18 and another at 21.

Miles 21-23 - 8:03, 8:08, 8:03

I'm still somewhat in touch with the pace group, but the gap is slowly opening up again. The fatigue is really setting in as every small drag wears me down a little bit more. I get to Roebuck Hill and try to power my way up. I've run this hill before, it's not that bad. I get to the top looking forward to the downhill of Foster Avenue, my quads on the other hand are not looking forward to it and they're making an increasing amount of noise. Onto the Stillorgan dual carriageway and I'm struggling to keep going. I want to walk, but I know I'm nearly there. I just need to hold on.

Endgame - 8:15, 8:54, 9:04, 8:10 pace (0.47 miles)

I know the route, I've run every metre of it in my training runs. Near the end of a 22 mile lsr, the UCD fly-over wasn't a hill at all, this time it most certainly is. I get to the top and recognise a Sanctuary Runner out supporting, one of many out and about over the course. I see a friend as I turn onto Nutley Lane. She sends me a video later saying that I was going so fast that she didn't even have time to cheer. The video tells a somewhat different story and it's not a comfortable one. Still, I've only 2 miles to go. I get to the bottom of Nutley Lane and by this time my quads are screaming. I'm bleeding time by now, but I just can't find the energy or the will to push myself on. I feel that my legs are just about holding my weight and any more effort and I'll be down and out. Runners are streaming past me as I trundle through Ballsbridge. The support is amazing in general here, but the number of shout-outs from fellow Cru members is the thing that keeps me putting one foot in front of the other. I try everything I can think of to fool myself into upping the pace, but nothing is working. The only thing I want to do is stop, but I can't, I can't face that shame. "Hi everyone, I ran 25 miles and then gave up and walked". Nope, not doing that, I'm gonna Run This Town. As long as the legs can keep me upright, onwards I trudge.

I'm fairly sure that 3:30 is long gone but I'm struggling to work out how far down the road it is. Was that the 40k marker I passed or the 25 mile one? Maybe it was 26, who knows! Finally I can see the finish line. At what point can I push on without risking my legs turning completely to jelly? I try to up the pace. The noise of the crowd is amazing, but through it I hear my name and turn my head to the right to see a work colleague R there with her family. It turns out that her husband was 20 seconds up the road from me. Almost there. Coming up to the blue carpet with A's words in my ears, SMILE! One final surge and I'm there. A few dry-retches as is customary before I gather my thoughts and legs and trudge onwards to get my medal and goody bag.

Aftermath

Elation? Relief? It could be either.

The one thing I'm sure of is that I'm a marathon runner.

I collect my things from the bag drop and walk on, before stopping briefly to put the smaller goody bag inside the larger one. As I try to stand up again, I'm momentarily overcome with a dizzy spell, but manage to stay upright. Onwards I trudge for what seems like an age until I finally reach the crowds and see A across the road. We hug and start walking towards McGrattans. I'm not sure whether I want to walk or sit or lie down. The legs are shot. We stop for A to take a photo of me with my medal, but as she's taking the photo I break down in tears. I gather myself and we try again. Photo successfully taken and shared with family and friends. We bump into another friend D, who was out supporting me at a number of points in the second half of the race and chat for a bit, me lying on the ground with my legs up against a piece of street furniture. We finally say goodbye and myself A make our way to McGrattans. We check downstairs before A heads up to see if there's anyone there before summoning me up; there's no way I'm walking up the stairs just to turn around and walk back down immediately. From there on in, I pretty much sit in the same spot until heading off home after some food, a few pints and some good chats with dcm graduates old and new.

Thanks to all who were out supporting, most of whom I haven't even mentioned in the race report. Huzzah! and ReeReeG, once again I didn't see the two of you until I was almost past you and turned to see who'd called out my name.

A huge thanks to the mentors, Mr Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG. You've all put in a huge amount of work over the last few monhts to get us to this stage, and it's hugely appreciated. I feel honoured to have been told to slow down! It's what makes me a proper novice. All of the novices have been amazing and it's been a privilege to be part of this group as we've made our individual journeys together from novice to graduate.

A final thanks to A, my best friend and my wife, who not only bullied into signing up for the marathon in the first place, but who supported me when her own dreams of running her second marathon went awry during the training. It's been one hell of a year for us and I'd be lost without you!

So, how was my marathon...Yeah, fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report Paul. Fab debut marathon. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great stuff P. That was a tough plan you pulled off for a first marathon. That will stand to you big time in the coming months. Huge congratulations on a really gutsy run. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Super Debut man and a very strong and consistent effort fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Cracking run, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Wow P...a marathon report and a superbly executed race. I had wondered how your calves would hold up but they didn't even get an honourable mention :). You have a great team around you there and absolutely no doubt that there are plenty of opportunities ahead.

Rest up and take care. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah jesus the end to that report made me properly cry. Congrats, you ran that so well. Super report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s one hell of a debut marathon and great report P, huge well done on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

You had a ridiculously similar debut to me, I also caught up with the 3:30 pacers at Bushy and then had a miserable last couple of miles, though I ended up doing a bit of walking and you didn't. You also beat me by a few seconds :)

You put everything into it, an excellent debut. Your awesome wife supported you so wonderfully on the course. What a day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Superbly executed debut P. I really enjoyed reading that. You've a great supporter there too - she could only have motivated you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super well done P! Great report & race :)

I'm not gonna lie the end of your report made me cry :(

Best of luck in achieving your future goals:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really enjoyed that account. I’ll say it once more - a fabulous debut. You nailed your colours early and had the confidence to challenge yourself big time on the first M outing. You were not found wanting and justified the fabulous support. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

What an amazing debut. I really enjoyed reading your report. Well done on a great training block. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

*Wipes away tear*

It's reports like these over the last couple of years that are the reason I've finally decided to jump ship to 26.2. Well done man, not only for the result but for laying the real emotion of it all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb running - great to see this for a debut marathon.
    My 1st was 4.06 - so you're well ahead of me there.

Great read too, top marks all round!

• Advertisement

My 1st was 4.06

But that was RunningKing not AMK!!!

OOnegative wrote: »

So I'll knock nearly 40 minutes off this years result if I change my username to AuldManPaul? Or do I also need to work on my tan as well?

So I'll knock nearly 40 minutes off this years result if I change my username to AuldManPaul? Or do I also need to work on my tan as well?

AMP has been born!!! The bronzed Adonis can give the tan advice, not my forte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super running Paul. Your training was a great example for people moving up to the marathon. Whilst my debut in 2015 wasn't quite as slow as Running Kings ;) it wasn't near as close to 3:30 as yours was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant run Paul; very well deserved for a super block of consistent training. Plenty more to come from you whatever your future plans are, an absolutely cracking debut marathon.

I hope the recovery is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »
    My 1st was 4.06

That even pre-dated Running King - I think it was also in Black & White.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done P. That's a cracking debut marathon as others have said. Will you be back for more next year?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well done P. That's a cracking debut marathon as others have said. Will you be back for more next year?

Haven't pulled the trigger yet for next year but probably will.

Thanks for the congrats folks. I finally took the plunge and signed up for 2020 on Sunday night.

There wasn't much in the way of a plan for last week, save getting a few easy runs in, depending on how the legs felt.

I didn't go for a run until Thursday evening, which was about 4.3 miles at a very easy pace (10:09 avg.). HR was a bit elevated for the pace (126 avg.) as the body tries to come to terms with what I put it through. Meant to go out on Saturday as well, but that didn't happen. Want for 10k+ on Sunday morning. Pace was back to normal (9:06 avg) but HR was still possibly a bit higher than normal (131 avg.).

Will keep it easy this week and add an extra day or two. Doing "Run in the Dark" on the 13th with work mates, so will see how I feel for that. Might up the pace to an easy tempo if the legs are feeling good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Thanks for the congrats folks. I finally took the plunge and signed up for 2020 on Sunday night.

There wasn't much in the way of a plan for last week, save getting a few easy runs in, depending on how the legs felt.

I didn't go for a run until Thursday evening, which was about 4.3 miles at a very easy pace (10:09 avg.). HR was a bit elevated for the pace (126 avg.) as the body tries to come to terms with what I put it through. Meant to go out on Saturday as well, but that didn't happen. Want for 10k+ on Sunday morning. Pace was back to normal (9:06 avg) but HR was still possibly a bit higher than normal (131 avg.).

Will keep it easy this week and add an extra day or two. Doing "Run in the Dark" on the 13th with work mates, so will see how I feel for that. Might up the pace to an easy tempo if the legs are feeling good.

P, our paces and PR's are almost identical! I will be following this thread and your progress with interest! Congrats again on your DCM outing and best o' luck with whatever's next!! :)

Advertisement