Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process to drive a 50cc Moped

Options
  • 17-10-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been covered before but I’m still a little confused. Can someone please explain the process I need to go through to drive a 50cc moped for work. Right now I have a full car license - category B - obtained in 2008. I am not covered in Category AM. I called the license information centre and they advised that I do not need to sit the moped theory test as I covered this in my initial theory test.

So do I just need to apply for a learner permit? Do I need to go through the IBT training for a 50cc moped? Do I need to obtain a learner permit in person? Can I get this through the internet?

Also, can someone provide a rough estimate of how much Insurance would cost? I’m guessing its in the range of €200-€300 for a €800 50cc Vespa moped on a learner permit with no prior Moped experience? I’m a 32 male living in Dublin.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You're going to need to do the IBT.

Better to do it on a bigger bike, you'll regret it later otherwise.

As for insurance, can't comment, but I think it will be double or more. Mostly because you've no experience and you live in Dublin.

There's only a few providers, so easy to check them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Do the A ibt or save your money and just buy a push bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So the insurance companies won't insure a 50cc without the IBT?
    I think the insurance will rise on the 125cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You can't get a learner permit without ibt, so you can't be on the road full stop.

Hence why just do the A version. Won't cost much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

colm_c wrote: »
    You can't get a learner permit without ibt, so you can't be on the road full stop.

Hence why just do the A version. Won't cost much more.

You need a learner permit to do the IBT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

What's your commute like? Distance, road type etc.

I'm living in Dundrum, working close to the IFSC. So about 8km drive. Travelling through Milltown, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge then into work.

Mainly be busy roads during rush hour.

Was going to go for the 50cc as the price of the bike and insurance is much lower. Not I'm hesitant again. Someone told me I would regret not going for the 125cc as the 50cc can't keep up with traffic. Just don't know if its worth the extra cash. I'll be happy with a half hour commute including parking etc. But not sure the 50cc would do that.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I'm living in Dundrum, working close to the IFSC. So about 8km drive. Travelling through Milltown, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge then into work.

Mainly be busy roads during rush hour.

Was going to go for the 50cc as the price of the bike and insurance is much lower. Not I'm hesitant again. Someone told me I would regret not going for the 125cc as the 50cc can't keep up with traffic. Just don't know if its worth the extra cash. I'll be happy with a half hour commute including parking etc. But not sure the 50cc would do that.

As someone who owns a 50cc moped my advice is to go for the bigger 125 at least, the 50 is only handy for weaving in through the smaller spaces in traffic, but once the traffic is moving you'll be quickly overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frawley

Get your bike provisional, get your bike, get insurance. Thats how i just done it. Just like you i already had a full B licence. 50cc bike insurance is around 400 but you can get them down.

Frawley wrote: »
    Get your bike provisional, get your bike, get insurance. Thats how i just done it. Just like you i already had a full B licence. 50cc bike insurance is around 400 but you can get them down.

The OP got their B licence in 2008 so IBT will be needed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

8km?
    I bet you could do it faster on a push bike. Would that be an option or do you have some kind of disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

50cc scooter is a waste of money and time imo. Either go for the full A theory test and IBT or get a push bike.

Another alternative would be an electric bicycle. You can cycle to work without breaking a sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes if the op wants a some kind of motorised bike because they are fun to have that's fair enough but saying its for an 8km commute is a joke!

Thanks for the response guys. I realise that 8km is a short distance. I tried cycling to work before and just found it a nuisance. I hated bringing an extra change of clothes and then queuing up for a shower in work when they’re always busy etc. I’ll be sometimes be working 10/12 hours per day and my plan is to take on some professional exams next year so I’ll be studying another 15/20 hours per week. So if I was to cycle I’ll also have to carry with me a laptop, books and clothes / towel etc.

So my aim was to get a scooter to cut down on travelling time and make it as convenient as possible.

Thanks for the response guys. I realise that 8km is a short distance. I tried cycling to work before and just found it a nuisance. I hated bringing an extra change of clothes and then queuing up for a shower in work when they’re always busy etc. I’ll be sometimes be working 10/12 hours per day and my plan is to take on some professional exams next year so I’ll be studying another 15/20 hours per week. So if I was to cycle I’ll also have to carry with me a laptop, books and clothes / towel etc.

So my aim was to get a scooter to cut down on travelling time and make it as convenient as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Since doing the test for a bigger bike is the same effort as 50cc, and the bigger bike also qualifies you for 50cc, I would STRONGLY advise you to do the test for the bigger bike. As someone who started on a scooter and now rides a 750cc sports tourer, you won't regret it. And if something bigger isn't for you, then you can stick with 50cc.

Otherwise an electric bike might be an option too. You won't need a shower as it's no effort compared to a push bike.

Advertisement