Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 18 – USA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Lol @ Kimi! "Did you win the championship?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

skipper_G wrote: »
    I was referring to Bottas, in response to Harika mentioning his tyre degradation

Yeah different cars maybe?

Great banter from verstappen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

strawdog wrote: »
    I think thats where max has been clever to give himself a reputation as a bit of a wild man. No one takes a pass on him for granted

Yeah, with the Red Bulls being down in power, they are having to have bigger elbows out on track and having to try very late breaking maneuvers. Makes both Max and Danny hard to overtake and you have to be wary around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Great entertaining race. Not much going on down the field but action up front all through. I'd love a battered sausage now looking at the crowd. The mixed strategy was great forcing people to push. Max asking if Lewis won the championship is funking hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

strawdog wrote: »
    I think thats where max has been clever to give himself a reputation as a bit of a wild man. No one takes a pass on him for granted

I think it's at moments like that where the points for the championship and finishing the race were probably in his head too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Did you win the Championship? That was f ucking hilarious.

Kimi thinking everyone is as cool as him.

You'd hope Kimi has a very skilled accountant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

It was lost on the virtual safety. pit stop. Pushed too hard straight out that has burned other drivers this year as well.tyres always see. To blister when they push with out a few laps running in. Ferrari seemed to have learned this time. I think they waited 2 to three laps before pushing on those tyres.

Good race all round. Close and lots to watch.great drive by Max. Decent recovery by Vettel. Not sure how to see the Riccardo bump. Vettel seems to spin every time he gets bumped this year.

Kimi....finally...bloody hell. Good race, great start.

Another point on Kimi - He's ahead of Bottas in the championship now right?

Could Ferrari still have a shot at constructors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ricimaki

This race really showed how poor Bottas is. He was nowhere near the top 3 at the end of the race, and was completely out-driven by Vettel and Verstappen.

Fair play to Kimi though. Drove very well, and deserved the win. His 'Did you win the championship?' remark was gold.

Esteban Ocon summoned to the stewards for exceeding the fuel mass flow limit on lap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

I wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone but it's nearly a relief to see Mercedes fuc k up their race stragedy. They're human after all.

Jesus that's a long blastard behuind the horner interview

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

recyclebin wrote: »
    Could Ferrari still have a shot at constructors?

66 points in the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Harika wrote: »
    Yeah different cars maybe?

Perhaps, but he was off the pace in qualy and race compared to Hamilton by some margin. His strategy was probably not optimal given he was playing a supporting role as well.

It's doable. Hamilton will win drivers next weekend so hopefully constructors is competitive until final race to give me a reason to stay tuned. Its hard to watch as a McLaren fan the last few years!

More importantly who was the vroom vroom guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Anyone able to explain why Sainz got a penalty for going wide at turn one on the start while Vettel didn't? Genuine question, not having a pop at Seb. I must have missed something on replays. It looked like both did the same thing.

• Advertisement

More importantly who was the vroom vroom guy?

He's got a lucrative career ahead of him! Hopefully Netflix sign him up for their F1 doc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ricimaki wrote: »
    This race really showed how poor Bottas is. He was nowhere near the top 3 at the end of the race, and was completely out-driven by Vettel and Verstappen.

Fair play to Kimi though. Drove very well, and deserved the win. His 'Did you win the championship?' remark was gold.

I missed it. What was the comment about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Grosjean is disciplined for his bump with Leclerc he could be banned from Mexico.

He has 9 points iirc so 3 more added would ban him.

ricimaki wrote: »

I missed it. What was the comment about?

In the cool-down room before the podium, he asked Lewis if he had won the championship

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11527363/kimi-raikkonen-and-max-verstappen-ask-leiws-hamilton-did-you-win-the-title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Grosjean is disciplined for his bump with Leclerc he could be banned from Mexico.

He has 9 points iirc so 3 more added would ban him.

Awe that would be harsh. Don't think he meant it or anything bad from it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kimi smiled 4 times today. He won't smile again until 2027

• Advertisement

Grosjean got one point, so if he doesn't get more than two in Mexiko he is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ocon could be DQ for fuel flow rate issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

CFlat wrote: »
    And all the posters who didn't watch this race:pac:

I did prioritise Doctor Who but thankfully, the race hadn't started on 4+1 when that was over. Good race, not the biggest Kimi fan if I'm honest but happy to witness his last ever win in Formula 1.
    It has just delayed the inevitable though.
    One thing though, although that funny moment of someone making car noises was pretty harmless I imagine FOM, the broadcast producers of the world feed, will be keen to make sure it doesn't happen again in case someone says something a bit more offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

The look on Coulthards face when Eddie Jordan started going on about drivers moving to inferior teams for more money was priceless.
    What exactly was Eddie Jordan getting at there with Coulthard??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Fair play to Kimi.

They do say the 97th time is a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Shame but looks like a slam dunk, expect KMag to go as well for the same issue

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Grats for Hartley and Ericsson so :S

A class act by Kimi, taking the hat off for Gen. John M Murray https://mobile.twitter.com/metaprinter/status/1054159881652068352/photo/1

The scene everyone is talking about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

recyclebin wrote: »
    It's doable. Hamilton will win drivers next weekend so hopefully constructors is competitive until final race to give me a reason to stay tuned. Its hard to watch as a McLaren fan the last few years!

Don't you mean he SHOULD win?
    It's never over until the flag drops.

vectra wrote: »
    Don't you mean he SHOULD win?
    It's never over until the flag drops.

He has three races to score an eight place. With the Mercedes, he can start from the pitlane late as taking a weewee and then rolling a dice until double snake eyes before liftoff and still will get those result.

He has three races to score an eight place. With the Mercedes, he can start from the pitlane late as taking a weewee and then rolling a dice until double snake eyes before liftoff and still will get those result.

If life was only that simple ( Though it seems that was for Lewis this season )
    How about he has a DNF or two and vettel wins those?
    It wouldn't be his first DNF.
    Anything is possible, and would spice things up a bit again.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

If life was only that simple ( Though it seems that was for Lewis this season )
    How about he has a DNF or two and vettel wins those?
    It wouldn't be his first DNF.
    Anything is possible, and would spice things up a bit again.
    :D

Vettel must win all 3 remaining races with Hamilton scoring no more than 4 points. How likely is that, especially as Vettel has been so p155 poor in recent races? He can't drive more than half a lap without hitting someone and spinning out at the moment. Most likely, Hamilton would win the championship even if he does not score any more points this year.

Anjobe wrote: »
    Vettel must win all 3 remaining races with Hamilton scoring no more than 4 points. How likely is that, especially as Vettel has been so p155 poor in recent races? He can't drive more than half a lap without hitting someone and spinning out at the moment. Most likely, Hamilton would win the championship even if he does not score any more points this year.

Where did I suggest anything different?
    I said Lewis has not got it won until the flag drops in Mexico next week and he outscores Vettel.
    It would take an absolute miracle for Vettel to win, Personally for me I like to see the championship going down to the final race.
    Nothing more boring than watching something that has zero significance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ferrari have just flung the race away

Well that's me told.

Credit to Kimi, it was holding Lewis up and racing him that won the race, had the Merc got clear air you have to think those tyres could possibly have made the end of the race

Raikkonen got his revenge for Monza :D

Grosjean got one point, so if he doesn't get more than two in Mexiko he is fine

Grosjean will also carry a 3 place grid drop to Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive seen a few media people now getting the championship scoring arse ways.

The comment Ive heard is - Hamilton needs to outscore vettel by 5 points next race to win it. They seem to forget that the available points are reducing with each race.

mickdw wrote: »

The comment Ive heard is - Hamilton needs to outscore vettel by 5 points next race to win it. They seem to forget that the available points are reducing with each race.

7th place in Mexico will do it according to Sky.

mickdw wrote: »

Yeah I got it wrong through the race too. Basically Vettel has to win all three races to have a chance. One second place and he is out. Hamilton needs an seventh or two eight places in the outstanding three races to bag the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Where did I suggest anything different?
    I said Lewis has not got it won until the flag drops in Mexico next week and he outscores Vettel.
    It would take an absolute miracle for Vettel to win, Personally for me I like to see the championship going down to the final race.
    Nothing more boring than watching something that has zero significance.

Well you suggested a DNF for Hamilton would throw the championship open again, but it will take an awful lot more than that.

I would have loved to see a championship battle go down to the wire too, but unfortunately one of the drivers involved wasn't up to that. I don't think that one guy crushing the opposition and then being robbed by outrageous ill fortune makes good sport either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Realistically it will take 3 wins for Seb and 3 DNF's for Hamilton

Advertisement