Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TheChizler wrote: »
    If you were driving would you just sit at the second set of lights blocking traffic coming from the left or right?

Anyway here's the law. Section 13. There may or may not be a newer one.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

I suppose I'd be aiming that I wouldn't get in that situation, because I'd have stopped at the first amber rather than pushing on through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can then just fly through the remaining red without a care?

Is there a source for this please?
    I doubt there is a source, as I doubt there is anybody claiming they have the right to "fly through a red with out a care" no matter what the circumstances (though in fairness some pedestrians might...)

Did anybody even remotely hint at that?

I blatantly broke a red light during my driving test and passed, not one which just suddenly went red. I have said numerous times that I have also got nods of approval from gardai as I used to constantly break red lights on a daily basis on a bicycle, less than 200m from a garda station. I also got waves of approval from gardai for cycling on footpaths. These gardai have sense, they know what the laws set out to prevent, they are not the gobshite little hilters many would love them to be. They have sense, unlike the whinging assholes...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rubadub wrote: »
    I can then just fly through the remaining red without a care?

Is there a source for this please?
    I doubt there is a source, as I doubt there is anybody claiming they have the right to "fly through a red with out a care" no matter what the circumstances (though in fairness some pedestrians might...)

Did anybody even remotely hint at that?
    I'm asking for the source of the guidance posted earlier about 'holding the junction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well, on the bike I do sometimes go through red lights, principally pedestrian lights when there are no pedestrians around. The main reason for which is that I consider it to be much safer for myself to get a clear stretch of road than to compete with all the cars for space when everyone is starting up. Hate me if you wish. But I do make it a rule to always stop if there are pedestrians waiting to cross. I'm not sure what the exact circumstances in the OP were.

But anyway, getting away from the rights and wrongs of particular incidents, I think the significant thing here is the woman in question's massive over reaction. What I'm noticing lately here in Dublin is that across the board road users seem to be more stressed and with, to be honest, a barely contained rage waiting to bubble over. And this is people on foot, on bikes, in cars, bus drivers the lot.

I notice it in myself too. E.g. when my way is blocked by (increasingly common) cars and vans parked in cycle lanes, I just feel a fury rising n me and have to tell myself to calm down a bit and just go around.

I definitely think we're all living on shorter fuse these days for some reason. Anyone notice the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I think it's the change in the season. Back to the original issue, at the Goat pub going out of town, I have gone through on green, to find irate right turning traffic facing me as the lights have changed behind me as I struggle uphill through the junction slowly. It's to do with the change intervals being designed for vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

LennoxR wrote: »

I definitely think we're all living on shorter fuse these days for some reason. Anyone notice the same?

I often think I would be much more relaxed on the road if I hadn’t started reading all these threads on boards about people taking risks with other people’s lives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

hesker wrote: »
    LennoxR wrote: »

I often think I would be much more relaxed on the road if I hadn’t started reading all these threads on boards about people taking risks with other people’s lives

Yeah, even though I criticised the OP I saw a cyclist today nearly got knocked down twice in the space of about thirty seconds.

Wasn't their fault at all, they were in the cycle lane about 20 metres ahead of me and the first time a car just turned left out in front of him front a side road even though the cyclist had the right of way.

The second time, literally 30 seconds later, a car nearly crashed into him because he was drifting into the lane to avoid potholes.

Drivers can be twats. There are bad cyclists, but they can't realistically kill anyone the way a careless driver can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

hesker wrote: »

I have myself hyped up the whole time with this too. I think it has instilled in me a bit of paranoia that is needed on the roads in Dublin to keep you safe.

It is nice to be able to discuss it with people who experience the same crap on the roads though.

Other people just don't understand, man (i.e. my missus who is sick of listening to me talking sh1te about cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On my commute this morning, I was approaching a blind bend and a car was going to overtake me but saw a car coming and decided to ride my tail, funnily enough the car approaching was a squad car and they slowed right down driving past me and the car behind.

Managed to overtake the car anyway when it came to traffic lights.

Advertisement