Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N78 Athy to Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-10-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Heading Naas to Kilkenny on Friday. Pretty much know the road as far as Athy.

Whats the N78 from Athy to Kilkenny like? Are there better alternatives to cycle?

Thx all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Heading Naas to Kilkenny on Friday. Pretty much know the road as far as Athy.

Whats the N78 from Athy to Kilkenny like? Are there better alternatives to cycle?

Thx all

I've done Athy-Castlecomer several times this year, the road is fine, mostly pretty quiet and a reasonable surface.

I wouldn't be as familiar with the Comer-Kilkenny road except to drive it but I've no real reason to suspect that it's much different than the Athy road.

If you were interested in something more interesting then try Ballintubbert, Luggacurren, Wolfhill, The Swan and Clough as an alternative route to Comer, lovely quiet roads/boreens and through great cycling country.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28797159

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Comer to Kilkenny is busy enough but very popular with cyclists (couple of nice cafes in Comer). There is a good road surface and it can be a very fast run in, especially if the wind is behind you.

There are a couple of narrow spots, from the recycling centre to the ring road in kk in particular, but stay out from the verge and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Exiled1

Look at quieter road alternative?
    Naas, Blessington, Baltinglass, Castledermot, Carlow. Cycle path from Carlow to Kk on old main road. The traffic is somewhat lighter and road is wider from Castledermot onwards. However it is all rather featureless.
    Several cafe stops in Carlow.

Advertisement