Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

injector warning light

Options
  • 17-10-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

i recently purchased a fiat ducato 2.8 jtd 33000 on clock and had verified its running well no misfires lots of power and fuel consumption seem good but injector warning light came on after about 700 miles but as i said no apparent difference in performance can i ask if someone has any ideas what the problem is that's is causing the light to come on its not going off i will attempt to fix the problem myself if its a diesel problem but when it comes to electric well maybe not so any ideas what i could go and check first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

injector light what does that look like? Like a little torch ? Get some fuel injector cleaner additive and give it a good long drive keeping the revs up .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 amazingannieb

little image of injector with spray coming out its a tiny image on the bottom of dash on corner sorry im only new to this forum and not sure how its works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A friend had the exact same problem last year in the UK, He broght it to a dealer who plugged in the computer cancelled the warning light and sent him on his way. The light never came on again. He was charged an hours labor and that was that.

Car99 wrote: »
    injector light what does that look like? Like a little torch ? Get some fuel injector cleaner additive and give it a good long drive keeping the revs up .
    ok ill do that than you very much carr99

RustyNut wrote: »
    A friend had the exact same problem last year in the UK, He broght it to a dealer who plugged in the computer cancelled the warning light and sent him on his way. The light never came on again. He was charged an hours labor and that was that.
    thank you very much ill try that as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

What year is it? There is no TDI ducato its either TD, iDTD or JTD.

yes its a jtd 2001

yes its a jtd 2001

You need a 3pin adapter to read the codes in those most places wont have it. If you have or can borrow a windows laptop then you can buy the cables and read/ reset the codes yourself with the demo of multiecuscan.

Did the light stay on after turning off and on again?

Could be a ton of different things. Has it had a new diesel filter recently? If it didnt go into limp mode when the light came on then a common cause was the loom for injector number 4 being slight too short causing it to intermittently disconnect.

With a vehicle that old with that low mileage I would be checking the deisel tank and lift pump strainer for rust as condensation is common in vehicles that sit around.

yes it stayed on its been serviced every year and im not sure about filter i have a lap top what do i order and where is it fitted to the motor the thing is its running great it starts and tics over sweetly no power problems either all i've done is fill the tank up

• Advertisement

reset the codes yourself with the demo of multiecuscan.
    the above im not too sure what the code is can you explain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The injector symbol on FIATs is equivalent to Check Engine Light, Merc calls it EDC but all the same. Basically the engine management is calling for help and the light shouldn't come up without a good reason for it. I would be inclined to get the fault code actually read for piece of mind as it could be an early warning for something easy to fix now but potentially harmful if left to develop. In any case it's easier to deal with the potial issue here in Ireland as opposed to when trying to catch a ferry for example.

Resetting codes without actually checking what causes it defeats the purpose.

samih wrote: »
    The injector symbol on FIATs is equivalent to Check Engine Light, Merc calls it EDC but all the same. Basically the engine management is calling for help and the light shouldn't come up without a good reason for it. I would be inclined to get the fault code actually read for piece of mind as it could be an early warning for something easy to fix now but potentially harmful if left to develop. In any case it's easier to deal with the potial issue here in Ireland as opposed to when trying to catch a ferry for example.

Resetting codes without actually checking what causes it defeats the purpose.
    so i suppose going to a dealer or mechanic is the answer i will go to a shop to have it looked at thanks for the advice

You need a 3pin adapter to read the codes in those most places wont have it. If you have or can borrow a windows laptop then you can buy the cables and read/ reset the codes yourself with the demo of multiecuscan.

Did the light stay on after turning off and on again?

Could be a ton of different things. Has it had a new diesel filter recently? If it didnt go into limp mode when the light came on then a common cause was the loom for injector number 4 being slight too short causing it to intermittently disconnect.

With a vehicle that old with that low mileage I would be checking the deisel tank and lift pump strainer for rust as condensation is common in vehicles that sit around.
    yes thanks for your advice ill go to dealer and let them check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Good choice OP! Hope it's something simple and easy to spot like autumnalcore suggests can be fixed with insulating tape.

samih wrote: »
    Good choice OP! Hope it's something simple and easy to spot like autumnalcore suggests can be fixed with insulating tape.
    i worked on diesel a long long time ago when the only electrics where heater plug cable yes ill check for water contamination and ill put fuel additive in the tank but after that electronics not so common in the late 70 early 80

Dont be surprised if the dealer no longer has the kit to connect to it. Multiecuscan is very easy to use once setup. Cable and adapter is probably less than a quarter of price of a single trip to the dealer.
    This guy isnt the cheapest but is offering support https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-USB-3-PIN-OBD2-II-KKL-409-1-Diagnostic-lead-Works-MultiEcuScan-V4-0/192453027995?hash=item2ccf18289b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Seen this on 3 Ducatos.
    Are your fans coming on like they should be when it heats up sitting in traffic?

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Seen this on 3 Ducatos.
    Are your fans coming on like they should be when it heats up sitting in traffic?
    that i cant say for sure ive been driving on main road and motor way if i was idling at a stop sign or traffic light maybe only min max but the gauge stays at the same point after a long run no increase in temp if anything a decrease as i said before all seem to be running with no problem but i rang dealer in swords and he said something about its so seldom he uses the computer for this particular old model he will ring me back to tell me if his diagnostic gear is working so it seems your right about finding it hard to get a garage that has the necessary equipment so ill have to give it a lot off taught as to my next move im putting diesel additive in tomorrow and who knows but i must find a more permanent solution for problems that will surely arise in the future but thank you for the advice and consider buying the cable etc for the future
    ps the dealer said if he can do diagnostic on the motorhome problem i would be an hour and 90 euro

that i cant say for sure ive been driving on main road and motor way if i was idling at a stop sign or traffic light maybe only min max but the gauge stays at the same point after a long run no increase in temp if anything a decrease as i said before all seem to be running with no problem but i rang dealer in swords and he said something about its so seldom he uses the computer for this particular old model he will ring me back to tell me if his diagnostic gear is working so it seems your right about finding it hard to get a garage that has the necessary equipment so ill have to give it a lot off taught as to my next move im putting diesel additive in tomorrow and who knows but i must find a more permanent solution for problems that will surely arise in the future but thank you for the advice and consider buying the cable etc for the future
    ps the dealer said if he can do diagnostic on the motorhome problem i would be an hour and 90 euro
    iis there many good mechanics in and around the north county dublin area that are used to and have a good reputation working on fiat ducato 2.8 appreciate some contacts if you now any when i bought the motor h every service and repair came with records since its manufacture the guy even changed the timing chain only 28000 on the clock he was very good at minding it i did get a bargain but all his repairs and services were carried out in preston england to my knowledge its never been out of britain till i purchased it

• Advertisement

Check if your fans are seized... don’t waste money on injector cleaner unless you’ve already bought it.
    I think I have one of those 3 pin cables still here(limerick).
    I think what happens is the fans seize/partially seize due to lack of use and when they are called upon cause a huge draw and a week point on the loom suffers.
    But if u can read the codes you’ll be pointed in the right direction.
    Marty.

what fan do you thin seized and where is it located do you mean the radiator cooling fan or am i missing something as regards another fan funny do i tried to demist the windscreen that morning and noticed the fan in the heater was not working so i checked and found fuse blown i replaced the fuse and it worked but ithe blown fuse also would not let the engine start till i changed it its then i first noticed the little injector light on i may well have been on before that i didn't notice is it possible the two are connected

i must let it tick over till it heats up lift the bonnet to see if fan comes on

There’s 2 fans behind the rad... primary and secondary... the circuit to them is checked during the ecu boot.
    They could well be the cause of the light, and if so you don’t want to find out the hard way... so best check at least 1 is coming on.

There’s 2 fans behind the rad... primary and secondary... the circuit to them is checked during the ecu boot.
    They could well be the cause of the light, and if so you don’t want to find out the hard way... so best check at least 1 is coming on.
    ok ill do that tomorrow evening and lets hope they come on thank you for that advice im not to familiar with all the jargon what is the ecu boot im learning

The ecu is onboard computer that manages/monitors pretty much everything... it’s a computer so it “boots” up... and as it does it runs a few checks everytime you turn the key.

The ecu is onboard computer that manages/monitors pretty much everything... it’s a computer so it “boots” up... and as it does it runs a few checks everytime you turn the key.
    thanks for that ill check fans does both of those fan control the engine from over heating or is one for controlling engine temperature and the other for the same purpose or different

thanks for that ill check fans does both of those fan control the engine from over heating or is one for controlling engine temperature and the other for the same purpose or different
    ill not drive it till i get the problem sorted its my partner and i first time to have a motorhome and we are very novice at it but she loves it s do i

Ah don’t be put off driving it.
    The fan won’t be called for 99% of the time... I was just letting u know a potential disaster that could be causing the light to come on... so check the fans, and see if you can get one to come on for peace of mind.
    It was my experience and 2 other lads I helped out through this forum all turned out to be the same issue. (Damaged cable in loom causing one or both fans not to power up when called upon)... and mine never overheated in 3 years I drove it with this light!
    Marty.

• Advertisement

Ah don’t be put off driving it.
    The fan won’t be called for 99% of the time... I was just letting u know a potential disaster that could be causing the light to come on... so check the fans, and see if you can get one to come on for peace of mind.
    It was my experience and 2 other lads I helped out through this forum all turned out to be the same issue. (Damaged cable in loom causing one or both fans not to power up when called upon)... and mine never overheated in 3 years I drove it with this light!
    Marty.
    but are these fan supposed to cool the engine as well if they dont work wont it over heat or is the cooling fan a third fan

Advertisement