Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adapers - gigabit realistic?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I recently got fibre to home broadband installed and have a healthy 900+mbps via wired conn to the router.

Previously, I had a powerline adapter set up to carry connectivity to my home office in the attic.

With a setup that supposedly is capable of 500mbps between the adapters, the manufacturer app says there's a 148mbps link between my adapters (cat6 cables either end) but speeds tests say I'm getting 64mbps to the PC, albeit with 6ms latency.

Will a gigabit powerline adapter set up deliver more of the gigabit available?

As the current set up is getting nowhere near the supposed 500mbps, will a gigabit kit do any better?

It's a bit frustrating to have all that bandwidth available and not be able to use it :)

Cheers,

LD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Everyone's buying connections they have no hope of using.....

500 is the signalling rate, not the throughput. Just like ac1200 wireless doesnt manage near 1200Mb. On a really good day you might get 200Mb over Poweline. Half duplex. Run cables or downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

ED E wrote: »
    Everyone's buying connections they have no hope of using.....

500 is the signalling rate, not the throughput. Just like ac1200 wireless doesn't manage near 1200Mb. On a really good day you might get 200Mb over Poweline. Half duplex. Run cables or downgrade.

Well, it was a free upgrade from fibre to cabinet, so it made sense anyway.

Realistically, the latency is worth as much as the bandwidth for home VPN use, and everything else (Netflix, etc) has definitely benefited.

Cables might be an option, I could run a cat6 externally and in through the eves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Well, it was a free upgrade from fibre to cabinet, so it made sense anyway.

Realistically, the latency is worth as much as the bandwidth for home VPN use, and everything else (Netflix, etc) has definitely benefited.

Cables might be an option, I could run a cat6 externally and in through the eves.

Running cable is best for those sort of speeds but remember not every device in your home needs anywhere near that speed either.

So, after rooting about a bit, I remembered that I had made a long cable once upon a time to do a data transfer to set up a NAS box.

I connected the gigabit switch in the attic down the stairwell and into the router in the sitting room and achieved 916mbps with a latency of 4ms! Which sort of caps it really, I need to run a cable. The long cable is just CAT5e and seems well up to the job.

That's next weekend's activities sort then :)

I went ahead and ran the cable, and I'm pretty happy with the results.
    f6a5Ih.jpg

That'll do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement