Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I report companies not applying the sugar tax. Mod Warning Pst 27

Options
  • 17-10-2018 7:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 14

Hi everyone.
    I sent my 8 year old son to a birthday party at a fun-centre (bouncy castle, obstacles, trampolines, crash mats etc).

I wasn't there with him, the mother kindly arranged a minibus to pick up all the kids from her own house and bring them to the centre and dropped them all back at their own houses after the party.

When my child got home he was hyper. It turns out that the kids were all given bags of sweets and cake as you do at a party. But the kids were also given cans of full fat cola.

Giving a child cans of full fat Cola is a stupid thing to do. He was hyper for the day. I rang the fun centre and demanded to know why they didn't give them diet cola instead but I was given a frosty reception.

Since the sugar tax came in, you shouldn't be giving sugary drinks for free and you can only give diet drinks. It's a disgrace that the kids were given full sugar / fat cola. He was hyper for the evening when he came back home.

Can I report the fun centre giving children full cola for irresponsibility towards children?

Mod Warning

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Emma K09

What does everyone else think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

OUTRAAAAAAGE !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭redlead

There is no fat in cola.

That aside, I presume you are taking the mick; I certainly hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

*followsthread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Emma K09 wrote: »
    What does everyone else think?

I think I'm glad we're just past this point in our lives and managed to avoid having to deal with this problem.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    There is no fat in cola.

That aside, I presume you are taking the mick; I certainly hope so anyway.

Full fat / full sugar sorry. I mean non-diet. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Have you ever heard of Aspartame? I think you need to educate yourself on the ingredients of diet drinks, and stop worrying about one can of 'full fat' cola at a kids party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

He went to a birthday party.

He's 5.

Of course he had sugar.

In future if you don't want him to have sugar dont let him go to party's where you don't control the drinks.

Or put strict rules in place before he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Sugar doe snot make kids hyper (link). However, if your child was on a restricted diet for whatever reason, the parent in charge should have been aware of it and protected your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For a troll, this is such a poor attempt. 2/10.

Try harder next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sounds to me like your kid is a sugar tax evader. I'll be reporting him to revenue.
    Hope he kept receipts for all his crayons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

The horror. The horror.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Sugar doe snot make kids hyper (). However, if your child was on a restricted diet for whatever reason, the parent in charge should have been aware of it and protected your child.

He's not on a protected diet, he's just hyper from sugar. I thought it was common sense not to give a child cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would give you a frosty reception too if you demanded I do something . And of course the drinks weren't free they were paid for in the birthday package

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Ive been informed previously by a close friend who works in customs that they are actually dealing with these sort of breaches of legislation. I think if you go onto the revenue website you will be able to find your nearest customs base and can then formally make a complaint to them who will then investigate it, whether it be some form of covert work or that of a search warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Maybe I'm open to correction but since when can they only give out diet drinks to children ?

My understanding was a tax was brought in on the sugar content of beverages so maybe in this situation the supplier bought the drinks thus paying the net amount plus vat and sugar tax

They decided to give out the drinks for free but the tax is paid by the supplier to the Revenue and not resold to a consumer

Never heard of a law that children aren't allowed to be given drinks containing sugar since a tax was brought in?

Am I wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

How do you know the drinks were free? Surely they were paid for by the parents?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would give you a frosty reception too if you demanded I do something . And of course the drinks weren't free they were paid for in the birthday package

But there was no limit so the drinks technically weren't really paid for. My child had 2 cans, other kids and 3 or four. They were small cans from a multipack. 200 ml or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

RossieMan wrote: »
    For a troll, this is such a poor attempt. 2/10.

Try harder next time.

Diet troll

Fk me if this is the depressing state of affairs that happens with stupid laws.... I give up

If kids aren't meant to have sugar then the kids shouldn't go to the party, honestly what did you expect?

I have 2 kids myself and if I let them go to a party, I'm not naive so, I know whats going to happen. It's a treat for them and I deal with it

I honestly don't know what you expect but your bar is set way too high if your actually seriously complaining about sugar at a kids party

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sugar does not make kids hyper. Period.

• Advertisement

wally1990 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm open to correction but since when can they only give out diet drinks to children ?

My understanding was a tax was brought in on the sugar content of beverages so maybe in this situation the supplier bought the drinks thus paying the net amount plus vat and sugar tax

They decided to give out the drinks for free but the tax is paid by the supplier to the Revenue and not resold to a consumer

Never heard of a law that children aren't allowed to be given drinks containing sugar since a tax was brought in?

Am I wrong

In my opinion it's just irresponsible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

In my opinion it's just irresponsible though.

So you drop your kid off at a party and expect other people to be responsible for it?
    If your so precious maybe use some parental responsibility the next time and stay with your kid to see it doesn't drink cola.

But there was no limit so the drinks technically weren't really paid for. My child had 2 cans, other kids and 3 or four. They were small cans from a multipack. 200 ml or so.

Of course they weren't free for heavens sake . And if you are that fussed over what your child has then either give him water or stand over him or keep him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

He's not on a protected diet, he's just hyper from sugar. I thought it was common sense not to give a child cola.

Caffeine may be your problem instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Hi everyone.
    I sent my 8 year old son to a birthday party at a fun-centre (bouncy castle, obstacles, trampolines, crash mats etc).

I wasn't there with him, the mother kindly arranged a minibus to pick up all the kids from her own house and bring them to the centre and dropped them all back at their own houses after the party.

When my child got home he was hyper. It turns out that the kids were all given bags of sweets and cake as you do at a party. But the kids were also given cans of full fat cola.

Giving a child cans of full fat Cola is a stupid thing to do. He was hyper for the day. I rang the fun centre and demanded to know why they didn't give them diet cola instead but I was given a frosty reception.

Since the sugar tax came in, you shouldn't be giving sugary drinks for free and you can only give diet drinks. It's a disgrace that the kids were given full sugar / fat cola. He was hyper for the evening when he came back home.

Can I report the fun centre giving children full cola for irresponsibility towards children?

I think you should be reported to Tusla. What responsible parent would let their kid to party where sugar is served.

Just in case you are actually serious, I would suspect your child was much more likely hyper from the excitement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MOD

Easy on the troll calls folks, any concerns please report posts.

This forum generally isn't a joking forum, so please ease up on the tone in response.

If this goes further down, I'm just going to close it out.

For those of you who've come from the front page, please enjoy your visit!

So you drop your kid off at a party and expect other people to be responsible for it?
    If your so precious maybe use some parental responsibility the next time and stay with your kid to see it doesn't drink cola.

But it's common sense not to give 8 year old kinds cola. It's not asking much. We only have diet drinks in the fridge at home. How is it my responsibility not to give kids fattening sugar and sugar that will make them hyper for their parents at home.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think you should be reported to Tusla. What responsible parent would let their kid to party where sugar is served.

Just in case you are actually serious, I would suspect your child was much more likely hyper from the excitement.

And from the freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Emma K09 wrote:

Sugar coke is better for the kids than diet coke. Neither one is good for you. The sweeteners used in diet cola are actually laxative. Not in high enough dose to run through the kids but long term use can be dangerous

You are better off not giving kids any fizzy drinks at all
    Emma K09 wrote:

Retail outlets don't have to charge the sugar tax. So long as revenue gets paid it makes no difference if its paid by the customer or paid by the retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I'm guessing the birthday child's parents paid for the sweets and drinks. I can't see how you could report them unless it's bootleg cola the play Center is dealing in. If I were you I would chalk it up to experience and give the parents at the next party a heads up of what your child can have

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement