Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tastes that have gone to sh1t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Since the less sugar and making bars smaller thing happened all chocolate bars are gone to sh!te

Get yer chocolate from Lidl and Aldi, delicious stuff and in large quantities. Win Win :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Get yer chocolate from Lidl and Aldi, delicious stuff and in large quantities. Win Win :):D

it's far from delicious. the dark chocolate is like gnawing on a stick of wax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I remember glass bottles of lucozade in the 80's/90's were wrapped in clear orange plastic.The actual sight and sound of the noisy plastic heightened the sugar explosion that was within.Glorious.

As a 10yo I was able to climb lamposts thanks to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Eddie Rockets

Recently got a very expensive takeaway lunch. Most ended in the bin. Why all the **** on the fries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

You should try it, dark chocolate does have a sensual affect before bedtime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Greyfox wrote: »
    they still taste amazing, almost as good as sex

You must be having some seriously bad sex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Was in Tesco recently and spotted Findus crispy pancakes. Now there’s a blast from the past I thought, used to love the ham and cheese ones so I grabbed a box.
    My god they are absolutely vile, the filling was passable as food but the breadcrumb coating? F*ck me it was so bad. Sawdust would have done as good a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The proper coke called Mexican coke is way more expensive as the cheaper stuff as all additives, when I was in the states a few years ago. My brother in the testing department was laughing at all the people buying almond, soya milk. He says there's only a few tiny drops of actual almond in a carton, he reckons cows/goats milk is actually the best milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Cadburys tastes like the scrapings of a commode

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Spicebags.

What the actual fook is the fascination with these ? Even heard Ivan Yates inform us today that they had been voted Ireland's favourite takeaway food.:confused:

Go and ask the back of my balls.

I've only had the one spice bag granted, but it was fcuk all to write home about. Bag of your typical Chinese fake chips, some meat textured stuff and a few bits of chilli and onion covered in a salty/spice mix, which I didn't find appealing I the slightest- and left me wondering what exactly the big fuss is on them any way :confused:

It's certainly no chicken Saag, pilau rice, garlic onion and coriander naan/ or even a battered sausage/burger and real chipper chips.
    Seconding this. Sure standards are different from one place to the next, but I tried one last month to give it a go and it must have been the most bland thing I've ever had from any takeaway ever. Chinese takeaways in Ireland in general are such a shambles though, especially since actual Chinese food is so feckng tasty and diverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

miezekatze wrote: »
    emo72 wrote: »
    as you get older your taste buds degrade? has anyone thought of this as a possibility? would explain a lot. even though its quite sad.

I think it's probably the other way around. As you get older you taste more and more different things and your tastebuds get more refined. A lot of the examples in this thread are junk food you would have mainly eaten as teenagers. Then you try it again years later and don't understand how you could ever like that stuff so much. That's my theory anyway. Most of the food/drinks I liked as a teenager I don't like anymore now. I guess a lot of recipes were changed over time though, and I really dislike the taste of most artificial sweeteners.
    Apparently your taste buds just get sweeter, making what was disgusting when you were a kid yummy when you get older, and what was yummy when you were a kid taste far, far too sweet as an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    You must be having some seriously bad sex

No, im having good sex these days. Cadburys choc though is never anything less than amazing, find it hard to go a whole day without the stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

When is dark chocolate not like a stick of wax?

Not so much a taste, but I've noticed certain crisp brands are full of salt into some of their crisps, so much so that you feel ill after a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fish fingers.

I remember these as my favourite food as a kid, and when I came back to Ireland recently I was all set with a box of fish fingers, two slices of bread and a bottle of ketchup.

Everthing ready I tried one fish finger before putting the rest in a sandwich, pure disgusting, the breading had a pasty taste and the fish tasted like nothing. Made me cry all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Oh sweet jesus years ago myself and a few friends went out to watch match to pub and as I was doing communion photo studios next day so decided not to drink alcohol and drank 3 lukozade....twice on way to work next morning I had to stop car to chuck up....

Never drank the shyte since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Most chocolate is horrible now because it's stuffed with palm oil. It's almost impossible to find chocolate that doesn't contain it. Aldi's isn't bad. One of the few that still has cocoa butter instead of palm oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Chipstix have definitly changed the past year or 2 ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Fish fingers.

I remember these as my favourite food as a kid, and when I came back to Ireland recently I was all set with a box of fish fingers, two slices of bread and a bottle of ketchup.

Everthing ready I tried one fish finger before putting the rest in a sandwich, pure disgusting, the breading had a pasty taste and the fish tasted like nothing. Made me cry all night.

I've heard they are putting actual REAL fish into them now. Disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Sour cream and onion Pringles used to be demolished in my gaff. Now they never even get finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Anything that has "New and Improved Recipe", or along those lines.

Basically means been made **** either due to new laws, or cutting corners on ingredients to further profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

emo72 wrote: »
    as you get older your taste buds degrade? has anyone thought of this as a possibility? would explain a lot. even though its quite sad.

Quite the opposite I have found ( nearing 80 here) Things have more tastee and texture and pleasure than ever

But the spices, curries and highly flavoured stuff you all seem to eat these days does deaden and change taste buds inevitably.

My food is plain and simple and Wispa bars, Roses and all the stuff claimed here to be different are the same as they have always been WISPA is chocolate heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Spicebags.

What the actual fook is the fascination with these ? Even heard Ivan Yates inform us today that they had been voted Ireland's favourite takeaway food.:confused:

I've only had the one spice bag granted, but it was fcuk all to write home about. Bag of your typical Chinese fake chips, some meat textured stuff and a few bits of chilli and onion covered in a salty/spice mix, which I didn't find appealing I the slightest- and left me wondering what exactly the big fuss is on them any way :confused:

It's certainly no chicken Saag, pilau rice, garlic onion and coriander naan/ or even a battered sausage/burger and real chipper chips.

Yeah but you have to put it into the context of the standard of shoite that people happily shovel in to themselves on a regular basis. Spice bag falls perfectly into that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Kit Kat - used to be my favourite bar, fúcking inedible now.

In fact the best thing about the new Kit Kat "chunky" is that it's now half the size it used to be!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

A lot is coming from the UK

Brexit means **** food. Tow Britain into the north sea and sink it.

Was in Tesco recently and spotted Findus crispy pancakes. Now there’s a blast from the past I thought, used to love the ham and cheese ones so I grabbed a box.
    My god they are absolutely vile, the filling was passable as food but the breadcrumb coating? F*ck me it was so bad. Sawdust would have done as good a job.

They were always like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kevthegaff wrote: »
    The proper coke called Mexican coke is way more expensive as the cheaper stuff as all additives, when I was in the states a few years ago. My brother in the testing department was laughing at all the people buying almond, soya milk. He says there's only a few tiny drops of actual almond in a carton, he reckons cows/goats milk is actually the best milk

Not much use for lactose intolerance though :/ undoubtedly they're not as nice but an OK substitute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Spicebags.

You were going relatively well until you tried to say chicken saag was edible, thus rendering the rest of the opinion void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Done the exact same thing myself about 2 or 3 months ago, minced beef and onion, hadn't had them in probably 20 years. I used to absolutely love the things
    Couldn't even finish one, it was so disgusting! I put the rest of the box in the microwave and threw them out to the crows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

[quote="sbsquarepantsI put the rest of the box in the microwave and threw them out to the crows![/quote]

Sorry this made me laugh. I thought I was the only one doing this. The crows my area get a very varied menu.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You were going relatively well until you tried to say chicken saag was edible, thus rendering the rest of the opinion void.

Chicken Saag is amazingly good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Patww79 wrote: »

Like most meals, they can vary from chef to chef, but I stand over my assertion that chicken Saag is probably (when made correctly) the tastiest Indian curry one could eat.

Spinach with chicken in a spicy tomato and mint sauce.

Delicious.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Chicken Saag is amazingly good
    Like most meals, they can vary from chef to chef, but I stand over my assertion that chicken Saag is probably (when made correctly) the tastiest Indian curry one could eat.

Spinach with chicken in a spicy tomato and mint sauce.

Delicious.

If you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mojesius wrote: »
    Vienetta. Not enough chocolate crisp anymore and the ice cream is watery ****e
    Have you tried storing it in the freezer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sour cream and onion Pringles used to be demolished in my gaff. Now they never even get finished.

Had a box 2 weeks ago, there still the same and still amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Two things have added to a disimprovement in how things taste IMO.

1. Packaging- Things like chocolate being wrapped in plastic invariably leads to a reduction in taste. Chocolate wrapped in foil and paper always tastes nicer. This seems to be true for things like milk and meat also. Milk from those 2L plastic bottles tastes like ****e. Meat from the butchers tastes far superior to the vacuum packed stuff in a plastic trays.

2. Sweeteners- Don't drink a lot of soft drinks but when I do the taste of those sugar tax avoiding sweeteners is rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

sideswipe wrote: »
    Two things have added to a disimprovement in how things taste IMO.

1. Packaging- Things like chocolate being wrapped in plastic invariably leads to a reduction in taste. Chocolate wrapped in foil and paper always tastes nicer. This seems to be true for things like milk and meat also. Milk from those 2L plastic bottles tastes like ****e. Meat from the butchers tastes far superior to the vacuum packed stuff in a plastic trays.

I wonder if you're comparing the actual chocolate back in the day when it was wrapped in paper to the chocolate that now comes in plastic. My guess it's the recipe rather than the packaging. If anything I think the plastic will keep a better taste.
    sideswipe wrote: »

2. Sweeteners- Don't drink a lot of soft drinks but when I do the taste of those sugar tax avoiding sweeteners is rank.

And cause migraine in some poor buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dealz brought out a bar to rival Toblerone when they reduced the size of the bar. Called Twin Peaks, there was much ado about it in the press.

And they were actually nice.

Then, the disappeared off shelves. And now they are back. With a different shape, which is fair enough (i'd say the makers of Toblerone had a few legal words to say to them).

However, they've also changed the chocolate. And it is now vile. It doesn't just taste like the cheapest chocolate you've ever tasted, it also tastes as though that cheap chocolate was burned during the melting process. Its legit horrible now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wonder if you're comparing the actual chocolate back in the day when it was wrapped in paper to the chocolate that now comes in plastic. My guess it's the recipe rather than the packaging. If anything I think the plastic will keep a better taste.

Yeah, you're not wrong. A lot of recipes have changed to lengthen shelf life. It reminds me of the waxy ****e chocolate you get in hot countries like Australia. But a lot of the places that pride themselves as chocolatier destinations like Belgium and Switzerland don't tend to do the plastic wrapping. As somebody mentioned the stuff from Lidl and Aldi is much nicer. Funnily enough they do both plastic and foil and paper- the stuff in plastic is always tastes inferior to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I will have to add Bisto to the list,pure salt is all i can taste

• Advertisement

They do? If I've been popping pills all these years and all the Pepsi Max was causing them I'll be extremely unhappy. Sweetener is not one I've ever heard before (like you always hear people say chocolate etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Fanta Orange and Lemon used to be lovely back in the 80's. Now it's undrinkable artificial poison.

Cadbury's Roses have gone to Hell also. The horrible flavour from the strawberry creme one seems to contaminate all the others in the box.

Gateaux Swiss roll I bought one the other day and threw it out taste like plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I cry when I think of what they did to Creme eggs.

I've bad news for you. They were always shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Aldi Dairyfine chocolate bars are gorgeous, the fruit and nut ones especially, I'd have one of those over Cadburys chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Aldi Dairyfine chocolate bars are gorgeous, the fruit and nut ones especially, I'd have one of those over Cadburys chocolate

The roisins mint bars from aldi are quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

recyclebin wrote: »
    I had Mighty Munch lately and they were pretty spicey. I think they were very mild for a few years but are back like they used to be.

They're monster munch dude.

Get your sh1t together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

There is a chinese takeaway in our area that made the best takeaway food ever.

It changed owners and the standard has gone disgracefully bad.

A lamentable situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Cadburys Dairy Milk is imported from england since Cadburys in Colock closed down a few years ago.Their factory in Rathmore,Cork is also closed I believe.Cadburys Roses I think are made to an american recipe i.e less cocoa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

KFC has gone downhill massively in the last few years. The fries used to be nice but have changed to thinner fries, that are usually stale. Even the skin and gravy has lost its appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Butchers was closed one day so ended up getting Moy park chicken kievs recently, absolutely vile, I'm amazed they are allowed classify it as food!
    4pack for e3, enough said!

• Advertisement
Advertisement