Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tastes that have gone to sh1t

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The wife's kebab......

You're going too low :P

• Greyfox wrote: »
    they still taste amazing, almost as good as sex

you’ve been having some pretty bad sex

• PaulKK wrote: »
    As far as I know everywhere outside the US still uses sugar.

Yeah only the US used corn syrup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Lads the yellow snack though. Seriously. It's ruined.

I'm never buying one again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Sky King wrote: »
    This predates it.

I think Lucozade used to be made by GSK but they sold the product. the new manufacturer has halved the sugar content. So diabetics must now drink twice the amount when having low blood sugars to get the same affect as couple years ago. The recommended amount was 100ml for low sugars. now this has increased to 200ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Had a can of Fanta Orange a while back.
    Fanta was never great, but not sure it's even drinkable now.
    Club, and all fizzy drinks have gone downhill massively over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Macaroon bars, animal bars and freddo bars. I've come to terms that I will never experience them in their true form again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Salt 'n' vinegar crisps

God, yes. The Keoghs Crinkle Cut are amazing though.

Sky King wrote: »
    Lads the yellow snack though. Seriously. It's ruined.

I'm never buying one again.

Yeah I had one last week and it tasted weird :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yeah I had one last week and it tasted weird :(

It’s like an ALDI knock off but at the same price as before. Are Mondelez trying to run Cadbury into the ground? Because they’re seriously rotten

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was doing a small shop in my local Tesco this evening.

The end of the confectionery shelf was given over to American filth...Hershey’s chocolate, Hostess Twinkies and Reese’s pieces and other desecrations of once good sweet eats. Depressing...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Bell peppers.

As a kid I'd eat a red pepper as happily as I'd eat an apple they were that sweet and juicy.

Now they're gone the same way as tomatoes these days, watery and insipid.
    I notice the ones from the "traffic light" multi packs to be the most lacking in flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

The walnut whip...is now just a whip !!!

it's fecking disgraceful. Gone are the days of opening it up, turning it upside down, carefully nibbling around the base - removing it one piece and eating it, then licking all the goo out and finally getting down to the walnut at the end as a reward for all your hard work.

Apparently the price of walnuts has risen by 20%, and they are appealing to people who don't like nuts ??

Madness - it's not even a whole walnut FFS !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Pwindedd wrote: »
    The walnut whip...is now just a whip !!!

it's fecking disgraceful. Gone are the days of opening it up, turning it upside down, carefully nibbling around the base - removing it one piece and eating it, then licking all the goo out and finally getting down to the walnut at the end as a reward for all your hard work.

Apparently the price of walnuts has risen by 20%, and they are appealing to people who don't like nuts ??

Madness - it's not even a whole walnut FFS !

The nut is still on the single units, but not the multi pack AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Has anyone seen the size of fun size mars bars these days? Its a disgrace. Like a half a thumb. Not much bigger than the celebrations version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Stab*City wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the size of fun size mars bars these days? Its a disgrace. Like a half a thumb. Not much bigger than the celebrations version.

Nothing 'fun' about chocolate that size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

Agree with aa few re Roses, but if all these products are gone so crap and if we all stop buying them, will they revert back
    and go for quality over quantity ever again.

You wont see a tin sorry plastic tub of Roses cross the threshold of our house, if plenty more did same will they ever cop on. Dont think so because to many savages just scoff em down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Quality street are the only Christmas tubs we get now - Roses and Miniature Heroes have that nasty Mondelez chocolate and not really fond of the mix in Celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Saxa salt, tasteless nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JupiterKid wrote: »

The end of the confectionery shelf was given over to American filth...Hershey’s chocolate, Hostess Twinkies and Reese’s pieces and other desecrations of once good sweet eats. Depressing...:(

A lot of them have that so they must be popular enough.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Butterfingers are nice and I don't think there's anything quite like them on the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

B0jangles wrote: »
    Butterfingers are nice and I don't think there's anything quite like them on the Irish market.

Love a Milk Dud too.

It’s seriously expensive all that stuff. I dunno if it’s the tariffs or what but it’s double the price the equivalent European sweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Would sooner stick my tongue in a blender.

Love a Milk Dud too.

They are kind of like the toffee revel, aren't they?

Revels - apparently they used to be orange, toffee, coconut and peanut which sounds pretty nice, but they switched at some point to coffee, toffee, coconut and raisins.

Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Remember when the poshest food in Ireland was a chow mein.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Like Reeses myself, not the other stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

American "chocolate" is absolute dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

namloc1980 wrote: »
    American "chocolate" is absolute dirt.

Yep, always tastes like peanut butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The Daim bar is still holding out for flavour, afraid to touch anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would happily pay more for soft drinks without artificial sweetener or chocolate bars with plenty of cocoa or corn snacks that are fried rather than baked

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Like Reeses myself, not the other stuff though.

Hershey's chocolate isn't great but you can't beat some Reese's butter cups.

I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago and got a tub of Breuer's ice cream with Reese's pieces. Off the charts! I'd happily pay 50 quid for a tub of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Cadbury's Roses!

What's going on with them? It's like eating calpol with some cheap chocolate on the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

What's going on with them? It's like eating calpol with some cheap chocolate on the outside.

Excellent description.

They've cut down on every good ingredient - cocoa mass, cocoa butter, milk, nuts etc., and replaced it all with SUGAR and cheap oils.

Ever noticed how many of the fillings are toffee/caramel/fudge/fondant now, and barely a nut to be found in a whole tub.

Mondelez are using the trust people had in the Roses/Cadbury brand to trick them into buying low-quality products - it's pretty shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

B0jangles wrote: »
    They've cut down on every good ingredient - cocoa mass, cocoa butter, milk, nuts etc., and replaced it all with SUGAR and cheap oils.

Ever noticed how many of the fillings are toffee/caramel/fudge/fondant now, and barely a nut to be found in a whole tub.

Mondelez are using the trust people had in the Roses/Cadbury brand to trick them into buying low-quality products - it's pretty shameful.

Palm oil is being used now as a cheaper substitute for cocoa butter in Cadbury's products. Actually it's being used in nearly everything lately as a cheap substitute for other oils and fats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I think a new thread called "tastes that remain unchanged" is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think a new thread called "tastes that remain unchanged" is necessary.

It would be very small.....

It seems vulture funds are to blame for a lot of it as they just want pure profit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

chocolate bars with plenty of cocoa

There a waste to good cocoa, bars with 70% cocoa or above are disgusting

Mr Kipling cakes are as amazing as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,906 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eddie Rockets

I had the misfortune of using the "Rockets on Wheels" truck yesterday

Hands down the worst burger I have had that wasn't cooked by my mother. Tasted like it had been oven baked probably for starters.

The old Liffey Valley store was filthy when I was in it recently - leather on the seats ingrained with grime. The Point Village one seems to operate with two staff to serve some large lunch crowds. Brand is going in the gutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,906 ✭✭✭✭L1011

beachhead wrote: »
    Cadburys Dairy Milk is imported from england since Cadburys in Colock closed down a few years ago.Their factory in Rathmore,Cork is also closed I believe.Cadburys Roses I think are made to an american recipe i.e less cocoa

Neither factory is closed. They just make feck all compared to years ago. Both downsized hugely in recent years, you may have misintepreted that.

Coolock makes the 8 square bars for Ireland (although UK ones turn up all the time too) and some 'complex' bars. Any bar with multiple layers or a chocolate -chocolate bond - the special Christmas and Easter white and milk bars for instance - is made in Coolock alone.

Rathmore makes all the flake/twirl insides for the entire world.

Basically, everything difficult to make or that may have trade secrets - make it in the high cost economy with expensive staff. Everything else - outsource it to Poland.

The destruction in taste is all the soy replacing real cocoa, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rockets is unreal and be I mean I was shocked at how terrible the food was.

Always loved the fries with the powder spice on them.

Loads of stores were shut over hygiene.

Some have just never come back.

I’d happily pay a bit more for Cadbury chocolates if they were the same taste and quality as I remember them from the late 80s and early 90s. That’s why they were a treat and not the Omni present cheap crap that they have been reduced to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

road_high wrote: »
    I’d happily pay a bit more for Cadbury chocolates if they were the same taste and quality as I remember them from the late 80s and early 90s. That’s why they were a treat and not the Omni present cheap crap that they have been reduced to

But their bars are more expensive than ever now.

But their bars are more expensive than ever now.

The individually sold bars perhaps but the multipacks are always “on offer” now as are the cheap so called Roses.
    Doing the small multipack ones 3 for €5 at the moment. They were circa £2 back in the day!
    There’s a good reason why get can sell them so relatively cheap now and that’s down to the crappy ingredients

• Had a yellow snack yesterday. Tasted like cooking chocolate. Ew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Loop d Loops, gone to sh1te!! The green bit isn’t even green it’s just a yellowy colour!!

Tangle Twisters seem great again now despite them being changed years ago!!

Seems like my 17 year campaign to “Make Tangle Twisters Great Again” finally got somewhere!!

Loop the loops now use cabbage to give them their green colouring. Taste like crap now and used to love them. All to save us from the artificial colourings!!

Right, here we go ... < cracks knuckles >

7-up, fanta orange, lucozade, fanta lemon, san pelligrino (all of them), irn bru, dr pepper, all store brand cola and soft drinks.. the only drinks left standind are coca cola, pepsi, club orange and arguably rock shandy (which, even though it has disgusting artificial sweeteners, also contains 55 kcal sugar per 100 mls, allowing it to taste ok).
    Cordials ate nearly all bad as they dont add sugar.

Coco pops, weetos, cheerios, nesquik.. most cereals really. And they had to eliminate ricicles, the sweetest of all

All chocolate which has reduced the content of cocoa mass and increased the quantity of cocoa butter, or worse, added a “blend of vegetable fats” (shea, palm, rapeseed etc). Chocolate typically only tastes good when cocoa mass comes before cocoa butter in the list of ingredients so i tend to only eat dark chocolate now. Wuite sad really to think that the most universally liked food, chocolate, has become a tastless flabby lump of candlewax.

I wonder is the issue that consumers demand to eat these foods regularly whereas in previous times people took it for granted that they were treats that were expensive, and that because they demand them regualry they demand the price is low, and to keep the price low they must be made with inferior ingredients. I understand why sugar contents have been lowered (sugar tax and people being more self-absorbed and concerned about their appearance since the late 2000s and therefore trying to not eat calorific food

Had a yellow snack yesterday. Tasted like cooking chocolate. Ew.

They are dreadful really bad. I can see them going back to the old recipe as I’d say sales have collspsed. They’re a completely different product and not in a good way

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Very surprised to hear that . Hospitals usually have Lucozade in the fridge to use to raise low blood sugar quickly
    Mind you the blessed change in the amount of glucose now in Lucozade has caused problems for diabetics who use it for a low episode

Hmmm. I haven't seen this in hospital. We use a product called glucotabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement