Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tastes that have gone to sh1t

1235»

Comments

• road_high wrote: »
    They are dreadful really bad. I can see them going back to the old recipe as I’d say sales have collspsed. They’re a completely different product and not in a good way

Yeah, there’s one thing for sure, I won’t be buying any Cadbury products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hmmm. I haven't seen this in hospital. We use a product called glucotabs.

I worked in paediatrics ! Much easier to use liquids for kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

B0jangles wrote: »
    They are kind of like the toffee revel, aren't they?

Revels - apparently they used to be orange, toffee, coconut and peanut which sounds pretty nice, but they switched at some point to coffee, toffee, coconut and raisins.

Urgh.

Probably closer to the Poppit box of toffees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Tanora..... used to be lovely but not even all that tangerine-y anymore. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Origina in my youth was a beautiful drink. It disappeared from Ireland for years and came back the last few years but tastes more watery and bitter now. Not at all how i remember it (sweet and juicy!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just had a mars bar.....my god it was rotten:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Completely agree about the yellow snack. God awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

What's with all the cheap sh1te food everywhere now

Chickens and processed sh1te and cheap sh1te biscuits and bars

There's hardly any fresh or quality food now in supermarkets with the race to the bottom on prices.

I thought food production was moving away from the era of the tin can and the dried food that came in in the 60s and 70s but it's actually going backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

If you went into any supermarket now and filled your bag up with the junk on the shelves without paying close attention

You'd throw half it out as it's not fit for tasting or eating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thomyokk wrote: »
    If you went into any supermarket now and filled your bag up with the junk on the shelves without paying close attention

You'd throw half it out as it's not fit for tasting or eating

That's exactly it. Years ago I would only buy Cadbury chocolate as loved the taste of it. Now I wouldn't go near it if you paid me. I prefer to spend more on green + black brand + eat less than that sugary cheap crap. Surely sales must be plummeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's hardly any fresh or quality food now in supermarkets with the race to the bottom on prices.

I thought food production was moving away from the era of the tin can and the dried food that came in in the 60s and 70s but it's actually going backwards.

I haven't seen any supermarkets near here shrink their fresh food sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Processed chicken tastes much nicer than normal chicken for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

XL Bacon double cheeseburger from BK just doesn't taste good anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

THESE YOKES!!

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Used to love em as a kid. Just seeing them made everything feel so Christmassy! And they were delicious.

Now they're an absolute box of shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dearbhla01

Cream crackers, they used to be way nicer, now too dry or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Hotel up home used to do a great scampi and chips year ago. We'd actually go in there specifically for the scampi at times. Then it was taken over by new management. They did a lovely renovation job on the hotel, and kept the food menu broadly similar, but changed the recipe for the batter on the fish.

Its now absolutely rotten, actually bordering on inedible. When I asked, they claimed that it was to do with new regulations around healthy food, that batter now has to be made with sparkling water or some sh!te like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

The oft lauded 'Star Bar' ain't what it used to be either.
    I had one recently. Aside from being smaller (of course) than it used to be, the filling wasn't the same - more brittle. I was able to snap the thing cleanly in half. Blander taste too. :(

The CEO's of Mondelez should be tried in the Hague for crimes against humanity!

Might have been cold. I had a star bar today and there's no way in the world you'd snap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

appledrop wrote: »
    I prefer to spend more on green + black brand + eat less than that sugary cheap crap. Surely sales must be plummeting?

There not, Cadbury still sells very well over here. Thank God, as Cadbury still tastes amazing and much nicer that that disgusting 70% cocoa crap

Laois_Man wrote: »
    THESE YOKES!!

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Used to love em as a kid. Just seeing them made everything feel so Christmassy! And they were delicious.

They were always ****e lol

• Advertisement

Well I think you’re right- look at Superquinn now they did actually sell quaility food, they specialized in fresh food. But they eventually went tits up- compare them to what’s on offer now in your average Super value or Aldi Lidl. There’s just no comparison, more food is pre packed now with no handling. All to do with costs I guess

valoren wrote: »
    Completely agree about the yellow snack. God awful.

The “new” ones are vile and Mondelez have taken the piss take to new heights with them. I barely finished a packet and not buying them again either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Laois_Man wrote: »
    THESE YOKES!!

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I used to think they were ****e when I was a kid and I'm currently pushing 40 - eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Greyfox wrote: »
    There not, Cadbury still sells very well over here. Thank God, as Cadbury still tastes amazing and much nicer that that disgusting 70% cocoa crap

People are creatures of habit, but Cadbury chocolate is gone to sh1te. Pure sugary gloop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People are creatures of habit, but Cadbury chocolate is gone to sh1te. Pure sugary gloop.

You can blame Kraft for that. Took over Cadbury and changed the recipe to cheap sh!te so that they could maximise profits

Has anyone actually eaten a diary milk lately? There not even 10% as bad as is being said. You'd swear they were sawdust under the wrapper.

Your wrong. I eat the milk chocolate version with almonds which is only 37% cocoa not 70%. That's dark chocolate your thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Old Jamaica ginger beer was soooo good, until they decided to replace the sugar with some horrible sweetener! :mad:

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually eaten a diary milk lately? There not even 10% as bad as is being said. You'd swear they were sawdust under the wrapper.

They are disgusting. You used to be able to break off the square + let it melt in your mouth. Lovely + chocolatey. Now if you tried that it wouldn't melt anyway + your left with a horrible artificial aftertaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think Cadbury's stuff is horrible now to be fair, it's still tasty and an enjoyable treat, but it's a fair drop from what it used to be.

I used to scoff at the thought of having anything other than a tin of Roses at Christmas, but they've become so bland that I prefer Quality Street now.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Not all the products are gone bad. But the likes of Roses and the yellow snack bars are dreadful. They’ve been selective in which they tampered with

I used to think they were ****e when I was a kid and I'm currently pushing 40 - eek!

I was a kid in the late 80s mid nineties. They were in every house around Xmas as they were cheaper than any of the others. Can still taste the vile lemon jellies and liquorice toffees- they stayed around well into January!!
    Roses were a rare treat and they were delicious. Either in a tin or a plastic see through tub with a little label tag on. Now they are utter ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nonsense. It's still amazing stuff, if it was as bad as people say then shops would have something else close to the till. People don't repeatedly buy things they dont like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Nonsense. It's still amazing stuff, if it was as bad as people say then shops would have something else close to the till. People don't repeatedly buy things they dont like

The stuff next to the till is likely the stuff still made in Ireland. Why do they buy the other stuff, because of branding and not quite realising its not as nice anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

It just another case of nanny state and and the so called "corporate responsibility" that seems to infect things these days.

Since we seem to have lost control our own consumption of food and treats etc, leading to a obesity epidemic, the government and the food companies have decided to step on and do it for us.

7up

Just had some this evening + much flatter + kind of tasteless. I read the can + there it is 30% less sugar + artificial sweeteners instead now.

F##k off nanny state if I decide I want a treat I don't want it messed with due to your stupid sugar tax.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cadburys chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cadburys chocolate

heartily disagree; something wrong with your tastebuds ie maybe eating too much spcy stuff. Cadburys is lovely, as it was when I first had it as a child.

OK so send me all your cadbiury stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

ablelocks wrote: »
    the common denominator for the majority of posts in this thread is the fact that American Multinational, Mondelez (formerly Kraft) bought Cadbury a number of years ago and to increase customer satisfaction shareholder profits, went about enhancing the recipes across the majority of products by using less cocoa with cheaper "filler" ingredients and using more sweeteners rather than sugar.

Kraft foods may be ****e but they (Cadbury bars) don't have sweeteners. I say this as I'm sensitive to sweeteners and check my labels. Chocolate is OK. Fizzy drinks however, is a different story. I miss sprite, 7up and lucozade. They all have sweeteners. Even San Pellegrino, a premium product with a premium price changed their recipe and is including sweeteners. I want my sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

[PHP][/PHP]
    Kraft foods may be ****e but they (Cadbury bars) don't have sweeteners. I say this as I'm sensitive to sweeteners and check my labels. Chocolate is OK. Fizzy drinks however, is a different story. I miss sprite, 7up and lucozade. They all have sweeteners. Even San Pellegrino, a premium product with a premium price changed their recipe and is including sweeteners. I want my sugar.

My wife gets migraines due to sweeteners and checks all products for sweeteners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

[PHP][/PHP]

My wife gets migraines due to sweeteners and checks all products for sweeteners.

I don't think the issue with chocolate is a reduction in sugar content, it's dropping the cocoa butter content and replacing it with something cheaper like palm oil, changes how it melts and how it tastes...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I don't think the issue with chocolate is a reduction in sugar content, it's dropping the cocoa butter content and replacing it with something cheaper like palm oil, changes how it melts and how it tastes...

This is it exactly not about the sugar it's the cocoa butter that has changed. The bar no longer melts in mouth + leaves a horrible kinda slimy taste in your mouth it's gross.

So weird - I bought a 1.75 litre bottle of rock shandy but instead of orange and lemon it tastes like fanta exotic/ passionfruit or something. Mango maybe. Tastes ok but just nothing like it did even the last time I drank it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

appledrop wrote: »
    This is it exactly not about the sugar it's the cocoa butter that has changed. The bar no longer melts in mouth + leaves a horrible kinda slimy taste in your mouth it's gross.

It's not chocolate, it's vegelate.
    Also, palm oil kills orangutans.
    But anyway, if you want chocolate, buy chocolate.

I always chewed my Dairy Milk so I probably wouldn't notice as easy. Still love a bar of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

So weird - I bought a 1.75 litre bottle of rock shandy but instead of orange and lemon it tastes like fanta exotic/ passionfruit or something. Mango maybe. Tastes ok but just nothing like it did even the last time I drank it!

I don't know what they've done to Rock Shandy but it's horrible now.
    I honestly think Club orange is the only thing that hasn't changed - yet.
    I would have said regular coke as well, but that all seems to be really flat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Icebergers aren't as nice either. I think the chocolate sponge/biscuit whatever it is, is the problem. Was disappointed because I remember them been nicer

Are Actimels changed now as well? They used have a semi sweet taste like yoghurt but different now. Sugar taken out also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Music for sure. When you think of the contemporary music that some people like and consider good these days, yet listen to this from more than 200 years ago, you realise musical taste has gone down the lavatory since then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Music for sure.
    If you listen to Ads you can guess the target audience because they'll use music popular in their teenage years.

At this stage I can't generic music from the turn of the century onwards apart. And the autotune stuff is just muck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement