Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor options for double opening windows

Options
  • 17-10-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

What are the sensor options for this window? The old window only had one opening and was wired with a red and black wire. On the new windows, There are 2 windows in the room, each with 2 openings. One window has two cables and the other has one cable.

A sensor on the horizontal bar over each opening? Or the original sensor over one opening and a reed switch on the other?

EDIT: just noticed that the image is rotated 90 deg. Cable comes from top of the window.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭dclifford

Here is the old window with sensor with 2 cables.

EDIT: just noticed that the image is rotated 90 deg. Cable comes from top of the window.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you want to cover all 4 openings get the sensor to where the X is and drill behind each contact and fish the cables into that sensor.
    Also worth a try to put a junction box to the very left & see can you fish the feed cable to the sensor also.

There are only 2 openings, on each window. The top 2 are dummy and do not open.
    Do you think one sensor could cover 2 openings? Or do I need a sensor for each opening?

EDIT: just noticed that the images in earlier posts are rotated 90 deg. Cable comes from top of the window.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A sensor on its own would not be great.
    Ideally a sensor & 2 contacts.

Got it all sorted. I used a sensor with reed switch on each opening.
    I put a junction box at the top where the cable comes in at the window. I ran the cable around the frame, stapling to the wall and then in horizontally to the sensors.

Pretty happy with the finish, nice and neat.

Learned something new. A round stapler and robertson screwdriver added to the collection too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement