Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinking Funds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As I understand it the mortgaging bank typically has an interest in the block insurance as a condition of the mortgage. If the block insurance is not paid and so the corresponding unit is not insured, then the bank must be informed as an interested party.

An omc could write to all lenders where insurance has lapsed advising there is no cover. But provide no details of owners or fee payment status. It would be a general letter.

They should of done same to owners and have a plan to remedy.

Very grim scenario where block insurance can't even be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Lantus wrote: »
    An omc could write to all lenders where insurance has lapsed advising there is no cover. But provide no details of owners or fee payment status. It would be a general letter.

They should of done same to owners and have a plan to remedy.

Very grim scenario where block insurance can't even be paid.

Well if the block insurance is paid but the apartment owner has not paid his or her portion, then it is reasonable that the apartment owner and the mortgaging bank not have the benefit of the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You’d have to have a date for last payment. My management company expects payment “immediately” per the letter we get in April. I pay in two monthly instalments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Well if the block insurance is paid but the apartment owner has not paid his or her portion, then it is reasonable that the apartment owner and the mortgaging bank not have the benefit of the insurance.

In such a case an omc should only process a claim once all outstanding fees have been paid by a non paying owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I presume from what you are saying that owner management companies can vary fees but you would prefer if they couldn't? Why not?
    I'd prefer if there were more fixed fees imposed on apartment owners, and less pressure being put on OMCs to reduce their fees - e.g. the mandatory sinking fund contribution has had a very beneficial impact on forcing many OMCs to get their act together. There is often a lot of pressure on OMCs from owners who are renting their properties to keep their fees low in the short term, at the expense of long term maintenance.

The other area the law could assist is in forcing apartment owners to pay their fees.

An offset against tax would strike me as beneficial, but even more beneficial would be stronger tools for OMCs to deal with delinquent owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement