Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit and goggles recommendation

• 17-10-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice re wetsuits. Beginner triathlete,. 6 ft 4 100 odd kgs. Any brandsto recommend? Also my goggles are letting in more water than the Titanic so looking fir recommendations for a new pair too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Wetsuit...go to base to race or cyclesuperstore and try one on. Don't buy one without trying it on first. The fit is more important than the brand. I swim in an entry level suit that fits lovely and am always at the very front end of the swims. The staff in both will give you excellent advice. Get a reasonably priced one to begin in case you end spending €100s and not taking to the sport.

Goggle's..I use aquashere ones. Fit my blockhead comfortably but they are €20 a pop and only last me about 4-5months. Essentially try on a few pairs and see what fits best. Get them online once you find a set you like. Wiggle & Chain reaction websites have offers from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Stupid question but is it normal to go through a couple of pairs of goggles a year/season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Depends on how much swimming you do and where...open water can be hard to keep them clean and they tend to fog up a bit quicker after a few months use which is head wrecker on longer swims. once it gets annoying I retire them for pool use and get a new set for open water.

Goggle's in the pool last a lot longer and don't fog up as much as there's less temperature differential.

Go through about 2-3 pairs a year but I'm fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Agree re wetsuits, fit more important than brand. I settled on TYR goggles after trying several brands - last me 2/3yrs in open water and pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I remember the best advice I ever got regarding swimming. * Was at a training camp in Italy, Flora Duffy was on it as well and her advice to myself and Liam Dolan was "you cannot swim properly if you look like a twat. Proper racing goggles only".

Get these, get them to fit and they will last for ever and be super comfortable.

https://malmsten.com/en/selected-when-it-counts/swedish-goggles

* Maybe not the best advice but the most memorable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Swedish goggles look cool, as do all racing googles. My kids wear these and these when training and racing but I've tried wearing them a few times and after a few hundred metres get headaches and in open water I can't see a bloody thing with them (but they do look cool).

I used to wear Speedo Biofuse all the time for both pool and OW and they have always been a good reliable pair of goggles, cheap and easy to find in most sports shops. I now use Zoggs Predator googles, with clear lenses for the pool and tinted lenses for OW, they are more expensive and I've only ever bought them online but they last a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

R

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Another vote for Zoggs Predator goggles. Good offers on some wetsuits and goggles on Wiggle at the moment as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Used to use Speedo biosphere but last 3/4 years have been zoggs predator a swell.

Blue with clear lenses in the pool or dark days, polarised dark most open water swims.

Go through 1-2 pairs a year. Almost always snapped at the bridge until I learned to put them on differently now they wear out by getting dirty and fogged up or scratched.

I keep a new pair in the car all times, current pair in the swim bag and the last pair as an emergency in the swim toy bag.

Advertisement