Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching

• 17-10-2018 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

On my deer lease, I have come across poachers more than once recently , I have got pictures of them on trail cameras. But Im not sure what I can do.

What do you do if you come across a poacher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

I would show to owners or game warden .. is it at night or during normal hunting hours .. not that matters if you paid for lease .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Richard308

Call to local Garda station if they’re not on the lease and landowner hasn’t given permission. It’s an offence to enter lands you’ve no permission to be on with firearms whether you shoot anything or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I would show to owners or game warden .. is it at night or during normal hunting hours .. not that matters if you paid for lease .

Both, cameras have picked up faces pretty clearly.
    Gardai have been informed previously but they dont seem interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Chiparus wrote: »
    What do you do if you come across a poacher?

Nothing....... that’s unless you own the land and you are prepared to go down the legal route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

See if you can locate their vechicles.a polite note and their pics left on the windscreen might get the message across.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Both, cameras have picked up faces pretty clearly.
    Gardai have been informed previously but they dont seem interested.

sometimes its better to spell out the offence to the gardai, in this case the offence would be 'trespass with a firearm'. Now as you're not the land owner i'm not sure if they'd listen to you on that charge, your other route would be to contact the NPWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

If it’s on coillte land, you need to report it to the forest manager.

Things are happening , we have photos of people with guns, lamps and carrying deer out. Gardai taking it seriously now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Rifter

Things are happening , we have photos of people with guns, lamps and carrying deer out. Gardai taking it seriously now.

Link?

Rifter wrote: »
    Link?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

What do you mean?

He wants you to link to the photos, Which you shouldnt as it may jeopardize any legal proceedings.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Rifter

What do you mean?

Sorry Chiparus I misread the "we" in your post, I thought the information you were posting was in the public domain. Obviously it would be silly to post evidence of a crime.

I hope the poachers are nailed in court, however given the way our courts are and from reading past sentences for poaching I won't be holding my breath.

Rifter wrote: »
    Sorry Chiparus I misread the "we" in your post, I thought the information you were posting was in the public domain. Obviously it would be silly to post evidence of a crime.

I hope the poachers are nailed in court, however given the way our courts are and from reading past sentences for poaching I won't be holding my breath.

I would love to post some of the pictures, really suprising the blatent nature of the poaching , day and night . Have a fair idea of who they are , and so do the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

Its happening all over the country, in tipp lamping deer is going on around silvermines,templederry,areas, a lad said to me they are evan posting plcs of the meat,minced and burgered on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

In today's Mirror there is a report of poachers killing three deer in Roscommon, Gardai have been given the reg number of a van believed to have been involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hawlk

Anyone have info on the item that was on radio West during the week in the Ballygar /Creggs area re the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ayagerard

hawlk wrote: »
    Anyone have info on the item that was on radio West during the week in the Ballygar /Creggs area re the above.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-hunting-cruel-poachers-deers
    (Gardai hunting cruel poachers as three deer found with heads and legs hacked off in Co Roscommon,)
    google link above i think its what you are looking for , next you will see is best practice stating rifle in one hand and shovel in the other while no atempt was made here i will admit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

That story was absolute pure ****e once again at worst the lads dumped the waste no evidence of poaching as far as I can make out.
    Deer had their "heads and legs cruelly hacked off" they must have still been alive while the cruel men cut their feet off😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

to be honest your just banging your off a wall trying to get a response from guards and the game warden, in order to get a conviction you need to catch them red handed on the land and with deer. no harm to leave a warning on the windscreen with pictures of them.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    to be honest your just banging your off a wall trying to get a response from guards and the game warden, in order to get a conviction you need to catch them red handed on the land and with deer. no harm to leave a warning on the windscreen with pictures of them.

Judges even will not convict:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-father-and-son-simply-strayed-onto-deer-hunting-land-897827.html

Although hopefully the guards will refuse to relicense them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-father-and-son-simply-strayed-onto-deer-hunting-land-897827.html

Ah but shur the son was hard working, how could you prosecute someone who is hard working?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

That's a basterd you had them on a platter for them and they got away Scot free
    I've been thinking about putting up a trail camera on one of my permissions but this shows there no point

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I always thought ignorance was not a defence in law. Strayed onto land, ya and I'm the Queen of England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

And why should they refuse to relicense them. There was no conviction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Convict them of what?

No shots fired, no deer in their possession. Poaching is the illegal trespass to hunt game. As no game was hunted or shot they are not guilty of poaching They trespassed, however unintentional, and were given the probation act for it.

Justice at work if you ask me. You cannot convict someone on what they may have intended to do, and none of us know what that may have been so the old adage about innocent till proven guilty still applies.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

We talk about poaching in such broad terms that we sometimes forget what it actually means. The other side of the coin is the nonnpoaching-poaching.

What i mean by this is lads over shooting, lads shooting without deer lcienses (on land they have permission for), etc.

Recently in Tullamore court a man was found guilty of shooting several deer without the deer license (not sure if he used a rifle or shotgun) but he left the deer where he shot them. He owns the land and didn't want the deer feeding on the feed he left for his livestock.

A genuine concern for any farmer, but instead of getting someone in, which wouldn't have cost him a penny (free shooting), he shot them himself and left them there to rot.

His "Punishment"? €500 fine. Thats all.

This type of carry on is more of a conern to me that other types of so called poaching.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    And why should they refuse to relicense them. There was no conviction.

They admitted illegal trespass with a firearm.
    Guard has good reason to revoke the license.

Cass wrote: »
    Convict them of what?

They admitted illegal entry with a firearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If anything, Irish Hunting will be the ones being sued under Data protection
    and privacy law, for setting up a covert surveillance system and not informing the general public that such is in operation in an area.:(
    Yes, it is that pathetically stupid these days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

They admitted illegal entry with a firearm.

And got the probation act as a result.

job done.

Advertisement