Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Selling

Options
  • 17-10-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I received information today that after 15 months our landlord is selling the apartment and have to get out by Feb 1st 2019.

We recently received an email back in June from the estate agents asking did we want to let for another year and we communicated back to say yes.

We also received a rent increase demand by 60e last month again which we agreed.

A solicitor friend did say that as we agreed via email to the estate agents "we were happy to stay another 12 months and didn't physically resign the lease, that would make it hard to stay the extra 7 months or argue to being evicted.

This is the second time in two different apartments in the last 2 years different landlords have wanted to "sell" up and it is absolutely infuriating in the stress and upheaval it causes.

Once you get that dreaded notice "you're gone in 3 months" it feels no longer like a "home" and really you couldn't be bothered with the place.

Can we give 4 weeks notice at anytime to leave the dwelling and not be penalised if the 3 months notice is binding in having to go by February 1st?

If anyone has any further information or experience please let me know.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your only required to give 42 days, but if the landlord wants you out, then you should be able to come to a agreement about looking for accommodation in this market and leaving at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Unfortunately if you didn't actually sign a new fixed term lease with a specific end date, you are simply under a Part 4 tenancy now, and your landlord can end the tenancy to sell the property. As long as the notice is correct and the notice period is sufficient given your length of tenancy (which it is if you've only been there 15 months; only 42 days notice from the landlord is required, so he has provided much more than the minimum requirement), then it is valid and you will need to vacate.

As Cuddlesworth mentioned, you must also technically give 42 days notice to end the tenancy yourself, and you would be responsible for rent during that period even if you physically vacate beforehand, but you and the landlord can agree on a shorter notice period if both parties desire it. The landlord will likely be happy enough that you are vacating without any trouble and would probably agree to a shorter notice period if you do manage to find a property you can move into quickly; it's a far better outcome for them than having you overhold and disrupt a potential sale, and only a foolish landlord would push back on that request for the sake of squeezing a few extra weeks' rent out of a departing tenant and risk turning an amicable departure into a hostile one. Just have a chat with your landlord and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

wayne25 wrote: »
    I received information today that after 15 months our landlord is selling the apartment and have to get out by Feb 1st 2019.

We recently received an email back in June from the estate agents asking did we want to let for another year and we communicated back to say yes.

you could argue that you've committed to further 12 months fixed term by email if you really want to stay, but it gives you only few more months anyway.
    This is the second time in two different apartments in the last 2 years different landlords have wanted to "sell" up and it is absolutely infuriating in the stress and upheaval it causes.

do you know if the previous place actually sold, or just re-let at higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wayne25

meijin wrote: »
    you could argue that you've committed to further 12 months fixed term by email if you really want to stay, but it gives you only few more months anyway.

do you know if the previous place actually sold, or just re-let at higher price?

Thanks everyone for the input. Previous place was sold and then the new owner re let the place out.

I know its only 5 months in the difference if we do argue the extension but it gives more time and less stress.

Feel as nothing was physically signed with lease extension that nothing can be done. Silly oversight really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Theres been alot about landlords selling up not been true. I think the ordinary tenant doesnt realise its not the cash cow pertrayed by the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is nothing to stop you opening a dispute with the RTB claiming that the landlord is attempting to terminate a fixed term lease. Once you open a dispute the Tenancy continues. You can keep going through an appeal if necessary. You should be easily able to get the full balance of your 12 months.

There is nothing to stop you opening a dispute with the RTB claiming that the landlord is attempting to terminate a fixed term lease. Once you open a dispute the Tenancy continues. You can keep going through an appeal if necessary. You should be easily able to get the full balance of your 12 months.

I will do that and seek further advice. In my book a 12 month renewal in July gone is a 12 month renewal agreed in good faith with our estate agent till July 2019.

Thanks again everyone.

I will do that and seek further advice. In my book a 12 month renewal in July gone is a 12 month renewal agreed in good faith with our estate agent till July 2019.

Thanks again everyone.

Good luck getting a reference from your LL if you try that stunt and without a reference you haven’t a hope of getting another rental especially if it goes fully through the RTB and your name is on the website for any future LL to see.

You are much better off to just start looking straight away and agree with your LL that if you can find somewhere that you will be allowed move out fairly quickly without any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Is it any wonder landlords are trying to get out of the market:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks again everyone.

You unfortunately didn’t sign a lease, so you’re covered by Part IV. Landlords can terminate Part IV tenancies on several basis, as you know. I wouldn’t think it matters that you agreed to 12 months.

The only thing I can think of is did you have a lease from the original 12 months? If so, what did that say about termination or break clauses? There could be argument to be made that the terms of the first lease could be continued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its a business although not necessarily treated the same as other businesses. However if you manage it right there is money to be made. No more than any other business if your income doesn't reward your efforts move out and move on but don't expect any sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Good luck getting a reference from your LL if you try that stunt and without a reference you haven’t a hope of getting another rental especially if it goes fully through the RTB and your name is on the website for any future LL to see.

All the Lanlords on here harping on about having no reference from present Landlord if you upset him in any way. In 40 years of renting numerous properties I have NEVER been asked by ANY Landlord or agency for a landlord reference. They were only interested in my employment details which they only sometimes checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

same, rented for years, moved a lot, never once was asked for a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Certainly when dealing with landlords direct rather than an estate agent references arent that important. The reference isnt worth the paper its written. In work how many times have we given good references just to get rid of some waster. The same applies with bad tenants.
    Most landlords are able to size up people and its the amateur landlord that cant read between the lines and cant spot a chancer that gets caught out.

In the U.K. it is different and there are companies who's job it is to check out references

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Edgware wrote: »
    Certainly when dealing with landlords direct rather than an estate agent references arent that important. The reference isnt worth the paper its written. In work how many times have we given good references just to get rid of some waster. The same applies with bad tenants.
    Most landlords are able to size up people and its the amateur landlord that cant read between the lines and cant spot a chancer that gets caught out.

In the U.K. it is different and there are companies who's job it is to check out references

Yes, the UK agents employ a credit check company who not only checks with your former landlords but also your ability to pay the rent.

In relation to the references, I would have to disagree, they are being continually checked now & a letter alone would not suffice, often a tenant is required to provide a landlord telephone number also and if there is a hint of anything dodgy going on, they are immediately disregarded.

Why? Simply because there is huge competition for any rental properties in urban areas now and the legislation concerning removing a troublesome tenant
    is so restrictive to landlords that checking these references authenticity has never been more important & necessary.

Of course, there are always going to be a few small time landlords who dont carry out due deligence but these are becoming fewer and fewer especially since the publication of numerous articles mentioning the huge fines the PRTB are dishing out for landlords who are not following proper procedure. Most LL's are now aware of the huge risks involved in getting in the wrong type of tenant and why would they take the risk when there is such competition for properties.

If you think a good reference from your previous landlord doesnt matter, you are seriously mistaken especially in todays market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You are much better off to just start looking straight away and agree with your LL that if you can find somewhere that you will be allowed move out fairly quickly without any hassle.

My girlfriend took a case against a previous landlord, and won and was awarded damages. Her name is on the RTB website and she has moved twice since then, and not had an issue

Its a business although not necessarily treated the same as other businesses. However if you manage it right there is money to be made. No more than any other business if your income doesn't reward your efforts move out and move on but don't expect any sympathy

Sympathy is not wanted, actual advice was? Can't you read my first post? It's the willy nilly attitude of landlords turfing hundreds of people out every month into homelessness in most cases, but hey, that's "business" Edgware, you in your little lovely bubble!
    Slainte!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Seems that's exactly what the OP's LL is doing.

Sympathy is not wanted, actual advice was? Can't you read my first post? It's the willy nilly attitude of landlords turfing hundreds of people out every month into homelessness in most cases, but hey, that's "business" Edgware, you in your little lovely bubble!
    Slainte!

Thats a load of nonsense to be fair, anytime a landlord seeks to maximise their investment after more than likely making up the shortfall from low rents due to the property crash over the last few years, the line about homelessness is peddled out.

Plenty of empty houses in the country for people who are supposedly homeless to live in, just not in their desired location.

Not the fault of the landlords either that Fine Gael decided not to build any social housing over the last few years.

Thats a load of nonsense to be fair, anytime a landlord seeks to maximise their investment after more than likely making up the shortfall from low rents due to the property crash over the last few years, the line about homelessness is peddled out.

Plenty of empty houses in the country for people who are supposedly homeless to live in, just not in their desired location.

Not the fault of the landlords either that Fine Gael decided not to build any social housing over the last few years.

Government fully to blame? Landlords not? no? Right so.

Desired location? Yes. That is ESSENTIAL to families and couples who've their employment, family, schools & gyms in the area.

Tell you one thing, the sooner it's compulsory for LLs and estate agents in fully assisting people to new accommodation before they have to leave the better. Nothing found? Folk stay put when their leases are terminated by LLs at an early stage.

A lease when it's renewed by 12 months, needs to be just that. 12 months.
    Not 4, 6 or 8 months, the full term, regardless of the "need" to sell the property.

• Advertisement

Desired location? Yes. That is ESSENTIAL to families and couples who've their employment, family, schools & gyms in the area.

Tell you one thing, the sooner it's compulsory for LLs and estate agents in fully assisting people to new accommodation before they have to leave the better. Nothing found? Folk stay put when their leases are terminated by LLs at an early stage.

Not 4, 6 or 8 months, the full term, regardless of the "need" to sell the property.

Yes, of course, the landlords and agents should help you fully because you cant find a place by yourself to rent for the current market rate.

History has shown us that any government intervention in the property market always has long negative impacts. Rent controls in NY being a good example.

How about taking some responsibility, removing the chip from your sholder and finding somewhere affordable to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

As others have said. You need to be careful especially if it’s a legitimate eviction.normally leases would need to be signed by the ll or estate agent acting on their behalf.
    Any time I get new tenants I search their name on the RTB database for any dispute, no matter what the issue is, if I see your name on the RTB, I will not be taking you in.

TBH any decent 12 month lease would have had a break clause in it anyway.

Yes, of course, the landlords and agents should help you fully because you cant find a place by yourself to rent for the current market rate.

History has shown us that any government intervention in the property market always has long negative impacts. Rent controls in NY being a good example.

How about taking some responsibility, removing the chip from your sholder and finding somewhere affordable to rent.

This not an affordability issue at all. It's the lack of giving a damn with turfin good decent tenants out without an after thought of the consequences and stress caused to people.

And I can tell you there is no chip, I have no issue with the sale as such, I've issue with not being allowed to continue a lease that was to last to July 2019 and only asked to be continued in late June along with a rent increase which we'd no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Why is it up to the landlord to find YOU accommodation. That’s like saying you hand in your notice in work, if the you or the company can’t find a replacement. You need to stay out until we do get the right talent.

TBH any decent 12 month lease would have had a break clause in it anyway.

For no rent late rent or damage. Absolutely. To sell a place should not disrupt an agreed tenancy with 8 months still left. Sell it yes no problem but have some decency until lease expires.

It's just business Wayne I'm afraid. The rent increase is a non-issue the LL is forced to do that by the current legislation or risk getting stuck below market rates and devaluing the property. Plenty of people are 'accidental LL's' and will get out as soon as equity allows. That's happening a lot at the moment. If you want to blame someone blame the people that are making it so high risk to remain a LL.

For no rent late rent or damage. Absolutely. To sell a place should not disrupt an agreed tenancy with 8 months still left.

For the reasons allowed under Part IV unless it was drafted by a rank amatuer.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Why is it up to the landlord to find YOU accommodation. That’s like saying you hand in your notice in work, if the you or the company can’t find a replacement. You need to stay out until we do get the right talent.

I handed in no notice. It was issued to me so your comparison is silly. My point is again, that a lease should be the full term. 8 months remained on mine and that should be the case in selling up in July 19. and having some sort of respect to people who've looked after and paid rent timely, we're talking an extra 5 months here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Funny how the OP is annoyed at a landlord who is following the exact letter of the law, and yet wants to open a frivolous RTB complaint to delay the lawful termination of tenancy; and to add insult wants to give just 4 weeks notice instead of the legally required 42 days.

Little bit hypocritical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement