Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on Charlestown, Co Mayo

Options
  • 18-10-2018 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have any information about charlestown, my daughter is about to close on a property there, and was wondering what the population of the town is, including residents of the town.  
    Is it safe, as I have heard about different religions moving into many parts of Mayo, and am a little concerned, not saying that it might be a bad move for her, but just need to know if it would be the right move for her.
    any advice anyone could offer would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Very familiar with charlestown pass through it nearly daily and have a friend that lives there. Its a peaceful town in general not much trouble of any anymore really. Used to he a great place on saturday nights but only a few weeks ago lost its late bar so its night life has been steadily om decline for years unfortunately. Knock aiport is less than 10minutes away sligo town is 35mins away castlebar is 30mins away.
    Its a grand little town to be fair no crime concerns and i havent heard of any trouble or rough characters around for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colette dunne

thanks for responding, 
    you mentioned the bar in town lost its late licence, does that mean that there are no bars now in the town, just curious.
    any information about the type of people that reside there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

thanks for responding, 
    you mentioned the bar in town lost its late licence, does that mean that there are no bars now in the town, just curious.

There are plenty of them, just no late one to stagger to after 12. There are a few nice pubs around the square, Murray's is always a welcoming place on a cold day, always a warm fire

thank you for the information.
    looks like charlestown will be the place then so.

I have asked this question in another forum, but seeing as this is a Mayo forum i may as well ask.
    By any chance, could anyone recommend, A Plumber, An Electrician, And, A good Roofer, preferably one who could make safe a really bad flat roof.
    the internal ceiling has collapsed due to the damaged flat roof, and it has caused excessive water damage throughout the building, wiring is good, just need fixing where the roof collapsed. 
    any help or information would be appreciated, and if anyone could give us an idea on costs, that would be awesome, we need a make safe, until the good weather comes back, and until we can afford to get possibly a new roof altogether if needed.
    thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have any information about charlestown, my daughter is about to close on a property there, and was wondering what the population of the town is, including residents of the town.  
    Is it safe, as I have heard about different religions moving into many parts of Mayo, and am a little concerned, not saying that it might be a bad move for her, but just need to know if it would be the right move for her.
    any advice anyone could offer would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    You are coming across very racist Colette.
    What exactly do you want to know?
    How many blacks, Muslims, travellers there are?

Surely your daughter isn't buying on a whim and can make her own decisions.

For what it's worth I checked the CSO website and Charlestown seems to be too small to be broken out by nationality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

In fairness to the woman I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to know if the town has a large population of travellers, it might not be PC to say but it would be a deal breaker for most if they were being honest.

I know the town, it is a nice, quite area, central to a lot of larger towns in the area

im not racist, and there are many people on other sites who recommend staying away from certain parts of the country.
    she is moving on a whim, as you call it, and its what she can afford.
    she chose the area, and I as her only parent am asking a real question.
    so asking an upfront honest question makes me racist now.
    thanks for the comment

rustynutz wrote: »
    In fairness to the woman I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to know if the town has a large population of travellers, it might not be PC to say but it would be a deal breaker for most if they were being honest.

I know the town, it is a nice, quite area, central to a lot of larger towns in the area
    thank you, for your reply,
    yes, I am concerned for my daughters safety, as would any parent, she's had more than her share of incidents in dublin this year alone, so it is something I want to avoid.
    I look after my own.

thanks again for responding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

you might see liam or noel gallagher there from time to time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

She will probably die of boredom in Charlestown.
    Charlestown, Swinford and Kiltimagh are know as the black triangle. It has no industry and a huge problem with people leaving to go to the bigger towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

Hardly much now as there granny is no longer with us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I've cleaned up this thread, its turning into absolute trolling. If the poster continues this then they will be banned off this forum, to add to the various other bans they have clocked up already. No more warnings.

yop wrote: »
    I've cleaned up this thread, its turning into absolute trolling. If the poster continues this then they will be banned off this forum, to add to the various other bans they have clocked up already. No more warnings.

who you referring to?.

6541 wrote: »
    She will probably die of boredom in Charlestown.
    Charlestown, Swinford and Kiltimagh are know as the black triangle. It has no industry and a huge problem with people leaving to go to the bigger towns.
    thank you for the information,  
    She is hoping to study at a university in galway, and is aware that a car will be needed.  and is about an hours commute from the town. so you are saying that the work situation is kind of hopeless there, or have I picked that up wrong.
    i do get that small towns aren't for everyone, but surely it can't be that bad, that there aren't any younger people in the town.
    thanks again for the response.

thank you for the information,  
    She is hoping to study at a university in galway, and is aware that a car will be needed.  and is about an hours commute from the town. so you are saying that the work situation is kind of hopeless there, or have I picked that up wrong.
    i do get that small towns aren't for everyone, but surely it can't be that bad, that there aren't any younger people in the town.
    thanks again for the response.

colette ignore the idiots on here............................................

rustynutz wrote: »

thanks for the reply.

I don't wish to offend, but who might these people be, sorry, but I've been away for a while.

I don't wish to offend, but who might these people be, sorry, but I've been away for a while.

lol goodluck.................................................................

maybe i don,t really wanna know how your garden grows..........................

thanks for responding, 

There are plenty of them, just no late one to stagger to after 12. There are a few nice pubs around the square, Murray's is always a welcoming place on a cold day, always a warm fire
    so are you saying there is an older population in the town, as apposed to younger.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »

well, I guess this forum is not about gaining answers to questions, but more about insulting and taking stabs at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

well, I guess this forum is not about gaining answers to questions, but more about insulting and taking stabs at people.

he wasn't offending you ,he was reciting lyrics to an Oasis song
    Liam and Noel Gallagher were brothers in Oasis :)

they have family in Charlestown

he wasn't offending you ,he was reciting lyrics to an Oasis song
    Liam and Noel Gallagher were brothers in Oasis :)

they have family in Charlestown
    thank you for clearing that up, I wasn't aware of that.

bassy wrote: »

my apologies, I was not aware these were lyrics, and don't know much about the band in question.
    and I mean no disrespect to their ancestry either, so I apologise for my remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭GIMP

I have asked this question in another forum, but seeing as this is a Mayo forum i may as well ask.
    By any chance, could anyone recommend, A Plumber, An Electrician, And, A good Roofer, preferably one who could make safe a really bad flat roof.
    the internal ceiling has collapsed due to the damaged flat roof, and it has caused excessive water damage throughout the building, wiring is good, just need fixing where the roof collapsed. 
    any help or information would be appreciated, and if anyone could give us an idea on costs, that would be awesome, we need a make safe, until the good weather comes back, and until we can afford to get possibly a new roof altogether if needed.
    thanks in advance.

Try these guys, they are very reputable for roofing and based in Kilkelly which is nearby.

http://www.deaneroofing.com

GIMP wrote: »
    thanks in advance.

Try these guys, they are very reputable for roofing and based in Kilkelly which is nearby.

http://www.deaneroofing.com
    thank you, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That was a single incident 20 years ago. What are you trying to suggest? Google any town and you'll find plenty of the stories that made local and national news.

Advertisement