Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake news from Threshold

Options
  • 18-10-2018 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Irish Times today:

Threshold apologises for falsely claiming landlords were charging ‘viewing fees’

Housing charity says it ‘incorrectly characterised’ upfront tenant payment to media

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Irish Times today:

Threshold apologises for falsely claiming landlords were charging ‘viewing fees’

Housing charity says it ‘incorrectly characterised’ upfront tenant payment to media

link for reference

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/threshold-apologises-for-falsely-claiming-landlords-were-charging-viewing-fees-1.3667085

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Dont ever change Threshold, dont ever change.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

"Homelessness" is a multi million Euro industry. These organisations need to keep the wheels oiled and turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The labour party neatly copy-pasted the threshold statement into their manifesto....

https://twitter.com/labour/status/1052128951127162880

Who needs research into a topic when you are desperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Handy thing now is that if anyone did actually think of it as an idea in the future, the uproar is already there against it.

Threshold need to really re-evaluate their public statements and the sometimes illegal and frequently inaccurate "advice" they give callers as they aren't helping anyone they're mean to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The problem we have with rented housing can be summed up with the following three statements;

1. If a tenant has a problem landlord, the best advice they can be given is to stay in a property (even if outside terms ease) and don't pay any rent.

2. If a landlord has a problem tenant, the best advice they can be given is to pay them off to leave, or toss them out / change locks and take comfort in the fact that the fine they will get is likely smaller then the loss they may otherwise face.

3. Taking the above steps has almost no negative secondary consequences... both parties will have no charges brought, no impact on credit, no impact on future attempts to be a landlord or tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Its incredulous that state money meaning your money and my money is used to prop up this "voluntary sector" with its own agenda which is contrary to helping the homeless and the providers of homes for the homeless.

Ive a couple of properties which are empty and will remain empty until there is equity in the market. I use <snip> and if I get a corporate inquiry I will consider a letting.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Now Labour and anyone else that propagated this bile should issue a retraction to ensure no one actually believes that Irish landlords are charging viewing fees. Really goes to show the current way that news is reported and highlights the underlying simmering hatred of landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

aluminium wrote: »
    Its incredulous that state money meaning your money and my money is used to prop up this "voluntary sector" with its own agenda which is contrary to helping the homeless and the providers of homes for the homeless.

Ive a couple of properties which are empty and will remain empty until there is equity in the market. I use spotahome and if I get a corporate inquiry I will consider a letting.

You counter the small risk of not being paid rent by not renting at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

davindub wrote: »

I must admit I find this puzzling. I’ve rented a property In Dublin for 16 years. Three sets of tenants in those years & not one missed month in rent. I’m not receiving top rent for it as I was caught out by the RPZ rules. But there is now only 30k left on the mortgage & although my tax bill is rising it’s been a worthwhile investment with minimal effort & hassle on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

steamsey wrote: »
    Now Labour and anyone else that propagated this bile should issue a retraction to ensure no one actually believes that Irish landlords are charging viewing fees. Really goes to show the current way that news is reported and highlights the underlying simmering hatred of landlords

Sure weren’t the labour shills looking to implement legislation to block payments following the fake article.

Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

davindub wrote: »

Yes without a doubt. I am mortgage free and the way I look at it is the capital value is raising daily, and last year was, is and will be the last time I get screwed over by a tenant.
    In one of my properties I rented it through <snip> to a UK company for 5 months. I got 2800 per month, 5k deposit and got the house back in the same condition as it was when they moved in. I put in a cleaner every Friday (They went back to the UK from Friday morning until Monday evening). - and that was in Huntstown Clonsilla.
    I will get similar "Guests" again. Taking other things into account I have changed my tax classification from Schedule D Case 5 to Schedule D case 2.

Advertisement