Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest restaurant in town

Options
  • 18-10-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Asked for steak recommendions last week but if I was to include any style Italian Indian Mexican etc can you give me recommendations for those

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Asked for steak recommendions last week but if I was to include any style Italian Indian Mexican etc can you give me recommendations for those

First off, you have to accept that you won't get the whole fine dining silver service experience in Galway. I just don't think it exists here.

Now, you will get fine dining, but without the whole "poshness".

Try Aniar or Loam for Michelin star, yet casual and relaxed.

Kai really ticks all the boxes. It's absolutely lovely and they really care about what they do.

After that, I'm kind of stumped. They're all just okish.

Sorry, forgot to add, for Fish and Chips that's just great, try Hooked.

Beautiful view; upstairs in O'Gradys on the Pier, Barna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Italian - La Collina, Salthill
    Indian - Kashmir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

?Cee?view wrote: »
    First off, you have to accept that you won't get the whole fine dining silver service experience in Galway. I just don't think it exists here.

Now, you will get fine dining, but without the whole "poshness".

Try Aniar or Loam for Michelin star, yet casual and relaxed.

Kai really ticks all the boxes. It's absolutely lovely and they really care about what they do.

After that, I'm kind of stumped. They're all just okish.

Sorry, forgot to add, for Fish and Chips that's just great, try Hooked.

Beautiful view; upstairs in O'Gradys on the Pier, Barna.
    I'd go Loam over Anair but 100% on Kai and Hooked

Papa Rich (there are a few of them) I find great but I'm no expert on Asian.

I like:
    Il Vicolo for Italian ( lovely room)
    Dela is a good all rounder
    Dough Bros for Pizza (Prob too casual)
    Bite Club (again prob to casual)
    The Universal - does great food but is more pub than restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Do you want fancy decor or just focusing on the food.

If the former:
    Pullman train carriage https://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/pullman-restaurant-galway/

G hotel restaurant

Sushi restaurant above Radisson hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Petit Pois for a nice meal out. I'll second the Pullman and drinks afterwards in the hotel for a posh night out.

Indian: Try Kumars to eat-in or Eastern Tandoori for take away
    Mexican: there is only Boojum.
    Burger: Chili Shack
    Sushi: Tomodachi
    Asian street food: Papa Rich in BORN
    Pub grub: Cellar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Petit Pois for a nice meal out. I'll second the Pullman and drinks afterwards in the hotel for a posh night out.

Indian: Try Kumars to eat-in or Eastern Tandoori for take away
    Mexican: there is only Boojum.
    Burger: Chili Shack
    Sushi: Tomodachi
    Asian street food: Papa Rich in BORN
    Pub grub: Cellar

+1 for Tomodachi, as authentic as you will get in Galway and never had a bad meal there

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

dinneenp wrote: »
    Do you want fancy decor or just focusing on the food.

If the former:
    Pullman train carriage https://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/pullman-restaurant-galway/

G hotel restaurant

Sushi restaurant above Radisson hotel

The sushi restaurant in the Radisson is closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

detoxkid wrote: »
    The sushi restaurant in the Radisson is closed :(

Yes, that was RAW. Not sure if anything has gone in there yet. Not a great view whereas Tomodachi has good people watching. Don't forget Kappa-ya and Wa Cafe which is doing some remodeling and putting in a sushi bar to offer Omakase. Yoshimi went to Japan for training and Wa became a ramen shop while she was away. Not sure if the new menu is 100% ready but any sushi lovers should support her and stop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

McTigs wrote: »
    I'd go Loam over Anair but 100% on Kai and Hooked

Papa Rich (there are a few of them) I find great but I'm no expert on Asian.

I like:
    Il Vicolo for Italian ( lovely room)
    Dela is a good all rounder
    Dough Bros for Pizza (Prob too casual)
    Bite Club (again prob to casual)
    The Universal - does great food but is more pub than restaurant

I'm not from Galway but I'd second Dough Brothers for pizza. Totally informal dining but amazing pizza. We try to pay a visit on our trips west. It is a victim of its success in that there can be queues but if you go early enough you don't have to wait too long for a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Petit Pois for a nice meal out.

Definitely Petit Pois for a super high quality meal (and wine) in a casual setting. A great all-rounder. Also, Oscar's for seafood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Can only echo most of the above e.g. Loam, Aniar, Universal, Hooked, Petit Pois, Bite Club and Papa Rich. Tartare do excellent small plates, brunch and lunch too, wine is very good too there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’d add Ard Bia at Nimmos to the list. Good quality locally sourced food. Upper end of price range but worth it for a treat.
    If we’re allowed to include villages nearby I’ll say the White Gables in Moycullen. Never had a bad meal there, delicious traditional Irish food, large portions and nicely decorated rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Lunch at Kai is probably my favorite in terms of price/quality ratio but if you're there much after 12.30PM you'll be waiting to get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Lunch at Kai is probably my favorite in terms of price/quality ratio but if you're there much after 12.30PM you'll be waiting to get a table.

Their fish fingers. The best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Some of my favourites are: Kai, Ard Bia, Aniar, Oscars, Cava, Petit Pois and West (out in Barna)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Petit Pois and Pullman are my favourites. Loam and Aniar are good but lacked the experience I prefer. Also Kai unreal food but decor not to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Best" budget option but still very very nice - Papa Rich Woodquay

Advertisement