Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushroom invasion!

Options
  • 18-10-2018 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

The back garden in my new house has a large amount mushrooms. Is there a way to get rid of them without damaging the grass? Also, I've a small dog so can't use anything to harmful.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ClubDead wrote: »
    The back garden in my new house has a large amount mushrooms. Is there a way to get rid of them without damaging the grass? Also, I've a small dog so can't use anything to harmful.

Thank you

Do you have any photos of the type of mushrooms in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Ok both those type of mushroom species like soils with decomposing wood or similar to grow in - compared to the common field mushroom which will grow in grassland type soils.

That said the weather this year has resulted in more mushrooms everywhere.

One possible solution is to spread some lime or a grass fertilser to improve grass growth and to alter the pH and this may possibly prevent the same happening next year. In the meantime - perhaps just remove the mushrooms as they come up?

Edit: if its a new build and newly laid garden - it's not unknown for builders to leave a nice layer of detritus behind and put some top soil over it ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Ok both those type of mushroom species like soils with decomposing wood or similar to grow in - compared to the common field mushroom which will grow in grassland type soils.

That said the weather this year has resulted in more mushrooms everywhere.

One possible solution is to spread some lime or a grass fertilser to improve grass growth and to alter the pH and this may possibly prevent the same happening next year. In the meantime - perhaps just remove the mushrooms as they come up?

Is lime or grass fertiliser harmful to dogs?

Is lime or grass fertiliser harmful to dogs?

Lime will be readily washed into the soil - same for fertiliser. I would keep the dogs off the lawn though until it has all disappeared though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

If your observations are correct, bothof these varieties are edible, why not enjoy nature,s bounty? Whenever any Giant Puffballs invade my garden they go in the pot.
    N.B. Don't enjoy the Inkcaps with a cheeky glass of Chianti:)
    Here is a very useful link to a site I find useful for identiying fungi: https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To be honest, lots of mushrooms "look a lot like" this or that. It's their similarity that makes them dangerous to someone who's not an expert - lots of poisonous mushrooms resemble edible ones, but make one small mistake and you could end up in deep trouble. Guide books and website are great as a rule of thumb, but the variation in colour can be huge. If I were you, I wouldn't eat them unless they were positively identified by an expert mycologist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If your observations are correct, bothof these varieties are edible
    'if' being the operative word.

i wonder where the wood in the garden that the mushrooms are feeding from is coming from - if a relatively new build, possibly scraps of construction lumber under the soil?

'if' being the operative word.

i wonder where the wood in the garden that the mushrooms are feeding from is coming from - if a relatively new build, possibly scraps of construction lumber under the soil?

Good guess! We just moved into this house and had new floors/kitchen put in. The carpenters used the back garden to cut up wood. The grass was covered in sawdust and scraps of wood....good mushroom food I guess :)

Because I'm trying to get my dog used to using the back garden I decided not to try a fertilizer/lime (to be safe). I pulled up each mushroom, poked holes in the ground and poured 50/50 solution of vinegar down the holes..... If it doesn't work I'll try something else.

Advertisement