Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother in law just been disqualified

Options
  • 18-10-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭

So my MIL who is a named driver on my policy (she's living in the UK but when here she drives our car) has just been DQD for 15 months in the UK for being over the limit.

Pulled over for a brake light out and failed a mandatory breathalyzer test. This was at 11AM in the morning after a night before with a friend. So a bit unlucky but a lesson to us all about alcohol levels still in our system.

She must have had a skinful

Either way - do I contact my insurer to have her removed as a named driver?

Obviously she won't be named on the policy at renewal (probably never again in all likelihood)

Would her being a named driver on my policy at the time of her DQD affect my premium? Couldn't imagine so but insurers are insurers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

lawred2 wrote: »
    So my MIL who is a named driver on my policy (she's living in the UK but when here she drives our car) has just been DQD for 15 months in the UK for being over the limit.

Pulled over for a brake light out and failed a mandatory breathalyzer test. This was at 11AM in the morning after a night before with a friend. So a bit unlucky but a lesson to us all about alcohol levels still in our system.

She must have had a skinful

Either way - do I contact my insurer to have her removed as a named driver?

Obviously she won't be named on the policy at renewal (probably never again in all likelihood)

Would her being a named driver on my policy at the time of her DQD affect my premium? Couldn't imagine so but insurers are insurers...

I dont see why you have to remove her from your policy?
    She is not disqualified from being insured, just from driving.

For example, she would likely keep her own policy to avoid losing her NCB.

Removing her will increase your premium unless you can replace her with another female driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

GreeBo wrote: »

Removing her will increase your premium unless you can replace her with another female driver.

well my wife is named but removing the MIL would load my policy?

so I don't have any obligation to do anything?

What happens at renewal? I would be asked whether any named driver has been disqualified.. and saying yes would surely not be good for my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

lawred2 wrote: »
    so I don't have any obligation to do anything?
    I very much doubt that. Read your policy documents very carefully, but many of them have a catch-all clause about disclosure of "material facts" - a named driver being disqualified is most definitely a material fact. It's likely that you're required to inform your insurance company that she was disqualified even if you're removing her

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

28064212 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that. Read your policy documents very carefully, but many of them have a catch-all clause about disclosure of "material facts" - a named driver being disqualified is most definitely a material fact. It's likely that you're required to inform your insurance company that she was disqualified even if you're removing her

If he removes her now, I don't see how her being disqualified is a material fact, as she can't be the cause of a claim once removed, and her being disqualified can have no bearing on the statistical possibility of any of the other drivers on the policy making a claim. I'd boot her and not tell the insurance company anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You must advise your insurer when you become aware of any conviction relating to any driver on your policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gravelly wrote: »
    If he removes her now, I don't see how her being disqualified is a material fact, as she can't be the cause of a claim once removed, and her being disqualified can have no bearing on the statistical possibility of any of the other drivers on the policy making a claim. I'd boot her and not tell the insurance company anything.

The material change has already occurred and needs to be informed

Removing her pre disqualification would have got around telling them but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GreeBo wrote: »

No insurer will provide coverage so she won't have the option of retaining her own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Personally, I'd just remove her now and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A hair-splitting moment.....

I know the OP's MIL was convicted in the UK but in In Ireland, the disqualification doesn't actually start until the period during which you can lodge an appeal has elapsed. That means that if you are convicted today and disqualified, the disqualification doesn't start until this day fortnight, assuming you do not appeal. If you do lodge an appeal, it's put on hold until the outcome of the appeal.

So if you look at it from that perspective, the MIL is not yet disqualified and the OP could remove her from his policy in the next few days without having to declare that she has been put off the road.

I know it can be interpreted differently and if there is a requirement that all convictions of all drivers on the policy be notified, the OP will have to declare it.

Advertisement