Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Mags is quite an IRA supporter isn’t she?
    She retweet’s a lot of ira posts like today someone called Laura Costello going on about up the IRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

SirChenjin wrote: »
    What gets me is that Travellers see being on the housing list as some sort of achievement! Travellers absolutely believe that being on a list is some sort of hardship with the ultimate prize being a forever home. It's crazy. Never work (well tax paying work) and get everything handed to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She retweet’s a lot of ira posts like today someone called Laura Costello going on about up the IRA

I believe she is some kind of anarchist. She loves bombing in the north and riots like the yellow vests in France. Anything that involves chaos and destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sharing ira posts on Facebook is about as sure a sign of an idiot as one could ever wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

AllForIt wrote: »
    Travelers in comparison to the Irish of old have no intention of bettering themselves not only because if they did they wouldn't feel they are travelers anymore and no different from the rest of us. I'm loath to use the term settled ppl except to say I'm loath to use the term.

The Irish of old immigrated all over the world to better their lives when it wasn't possible in Ireland at the time they did. I think it is absurd to compare the Irish of old to travellers when the prosperous but not perfect condition of this country today came about precislty because of the hard working ethic of previous generations , for which the current traveller generation can thank for they generous social welfare payments. Travellers have done absolutely nothing to add to the economic advancement of this country.

It is not racism to point out the reality of the traveller attitude. Your right to point out insulting language as you quoted, there is no need for that, and it damages the valid points ppl have to make. But I don't accept that racism is the root cause of traveller issues.
    Yeah the Irish in Britain and the US who were looked down on, said **** you and made something out of themselves. Especially in the US. That's how you quell prejudice - not by continuously proving the prejudiced right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the travellers, but this is going too far, and puts me in mind of old punch cartoons.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.c.photoshelter.com%2Fimg-get%2FI000061BPeVzxh_w%2Fs%2F900%2F720%2FVictorian-Cartoons-Punch-1849-02-24-79.jpg&f=1
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.c.photoshelter.com%2Fimg-get%2FI0000O5jdoLduYFA%2Fs%2F900%2F720%2FIreland-John-Redmond-Cartoons-Punch-Magazine-Raven-Hill-1909-12-22-435.jpg&f=1
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F3b%2Fa1%2F39%2F3ba139aff5a771f0b92fac7ef6e1590c.jpg&f=1
    The British weren't just making **** up. Poor, uneducated groups tend to have these problems. The travellers would be grand if only their kids saw out their education. Spewing bile about them being subhuman is pig-ignorant.

Give me a break, the British empire from the mid 19th century to the early 20th century were vile thieving murdering racists who often portrayed themselves as victims - "White man's burden" - rather than owning up to their own shame, leading to a mindset that still exists today.

They've got more in common the travellers than law abiding Irish people!

(Remember, being nice and reasonable to the British trying to block Irish freedom never actually worked.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Gravelly wrote: »
    Sharing ira posts on Facebook is about as sure a sign of an idiot as one could ever wish for.

Maybe Kitty Holland will bring it up when she invites the Cash clan round for Sunday brunch.

Our Kitty can then tell her what she thinks of her religious beliefs aswell.

Unless.... , she, is, by any chance,.......a hypocrite.

SirChenjin wrote: »

Aren’t they all cousins?

“A homeless Galway cousin of the family of ten that perished in a fire in portacabins in Carrickmines in 2015, has said it was “insensitive” and “unacceptable” of the authorities here to offer her similar temporary accommodation on the same week the inquests were being held in Dublin.

Ballinasloe-born and Manchester-reared Martina Lynch said she was still traumatised by the death of her cousins – five adults and five children – at a fire at a Traveller halting site in South Dublin.

The inquest into the deaths were held last week – the same week she was offered a “portacabin” to live in near the COPE Day Centre in the city.

Ms Lynch said she has been on the County Galway housing waiting list since 2007. She has been couch-surfing at her sister’s Ballinasloe home since last November, because she was thrown-out of her emergency accommodation Bed and Breakfast over what she described as an unproved allegation of smoking cigarettes in her bedroom.

“I spent two nights sleeping rough on the streets after that and now I’m with my sister, sleeping on her couch since November, but she has children and there isn’t any room for me. I suffer from depression and I’m desperate. I just want a home and the County Council doesn’t want to know.

“They said that I was aggressive, and I would agree that I was angry after being thrown out, but it’s becauase I’m not getting help and I have apologised. They have offered me a portacabin on the Seamus Quirke Road. How dare they, in the same week an inquest into the fire that killed ten of my cousins is going on in Dublin. They are for building sites, not for living in,” she said.

Ms Lynch said the portacabin offer was a “joke”; not only was it “insensitive” given the timing, it was unsuitable accommodation and doesn’t fulfil her housing need, she said.

“I’m at the end of my tether. I’m just so fed up with it all, to be honest. There are so many boarded up houses around the county, and in Ballinasloe, but the Council told me they didn’t have the money to do them up.”

Acting Director of Services for Housing, Michael Owens, said the County Council was precluded from commenting on individual cases.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"How dare they"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gravelly wrote: »
    Unfortunately, as Casey found out, there is no debate - it's either shut your mouth or be called a racist. There's no space in Irish media or politics for a debate, therefore people will lash out in frustration on the forums they can.

A dishonest narative creates a vacuum

The current media narative is a lie and does great harm

BattleCorp wrote: »
    They don't value it because there's more money to be had the other way. As the saying goes 'a crooked pound is as good as an honest pound'. And that was said to me by a traveller.

Look, all the discussion in the world isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. Travellers won't engage and tow the line when it comes to responsibility etc. They won't change unless they have to change. And that's not going to happen because we are bending our laws to suit them. Or at least not enforcing them. Here is one example - So what if it's their culture to keep horses, so we have to get them accommodation with stables etc?

Could I say the same if I was from gentry and fell on hard times? Us gentry always had horses, I need stables with my council house? Get ta feck.

Nothing but carrot this past three decades, travellers are spoiled beyond belief

tuxy wrote: »
    Because they don't want their culture to die out. If they went to school and got jobs it would only take a few generations for them to be completely indistinguishable from the rest of the population.
    Their whole culture depends on the continuation of this ignorant old fashioned ways.
    This is why I find their ethnic status odd, does the government want them to go to school and integrate with society or to continue as is?

The government have pawned off the traveller issue to the quangos and the PC media, the government agree not to tell the truth about the reality of the situation, at least publically, in turn the PC media give broadly positive coverage of the government in return, the left wing media hate middle Ireland so venerate traveller's to annoy us

Worship of minorities is a religion of the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I only came across this movie recently, the opening scene is very relevant for the Ireland of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Was in Mickey D’s Limerick getting coffee and a woman who had mobility problems had left the counter and was just about to sit down at the priority seats near the door when traveller tan monsters (like literally dosed in the stuff) walked in the door and shouted those seats are taken. Within seconds the doors were opened fully and two more women came along prams where wheeled in. They sat there for 15 minutes and the ones with the prams left without ordering anything. Their disdain for the disabled is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

These traveling sales people are a common problem around the country, looks like our favorite minority is behind it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0129/1026215-bantry-cork/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

McGrath5 wrote: »
    These traveling sales people are a common problem around the country, looks like our favorite minority is behind it.

Shocking criminal behaviour there ... that lady cancelled the cheques, but kept the goods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah those Amish. Up to no good as usual, Dougal.

trout wrote: »
    Shocking criminal behaviour there ... that lady cancelled the cheques, but kept the goods!
    How long before the "salesmen" realise they've been had and return looking for their money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How long before the "salesmen" realise they've been had and return looking for their money?

They’ll have had the cheques cashed in a local shop or business and be long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mayota wrote:
    They’ll have had the cheques cashed in a local shop or business and be long gone.

According to the report in the Times the lady managed to get several of the cheques cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

mayota wrote: »

That's the bit I'll never understand. Who in their right mind would cash a cheque for any of these skangers. When all the cheques are stopped the businesses will lose out............and they'll deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

According to the report in the Times the lady managed to get several of the cheques cancelled.

if they managed to find somebody stupid enough to take the cheque from them before she did this it becomes somebody elses problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Neither report that I have seen on this mentions whether or not they are travellers. I'm quite certain that they are, of course, but I don't think it has been confirmed either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Neither report that I have seen on this mentions whether or not they are travellers. I'm quite certain that they are, of course, but I don't think it has been confirmed either way.

If it was confirmed by media that they were travellers, there'd be unmerciful screeching from that minority shouting racism.
    We all know who committed this crime, but we're not allowed say, cause it's not pc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

airy fairy wrote: »
    If it was confirmed by media that they were travellers, there'd be unmerciful screeching from that minority shouting racism.
    We all know who committed this crime, but we're not allowed say, cause it's not pc.

Give over. The majority aren't racist that's why. I'm not even defending Travelers, just your idea that only the minority aren't racist is an insult to Irish society never mind Travelers. I don't believe we're a nation of silent racists. Racists tend to like the sound of their own voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Give over. The majority aren't racist that's why. I'm not even defending Travelers, just your idea that only the minority aren't racist is an insult to Irish society never mind Travelers. I don't believe we're a nation of silent racists. Racists tend to like the sound of their own voice.

What are you on about. He is right. If a newspaper said they are travellers , joe Duffy would be roaring crying about the racist comment. Unless a traveller has been convicted of a crime
    , you won’t hear any news outlet use the word traveller , even though we all bloody know it’s them that’s committing crimes

airy fairy wrote: »

This nonsense about not being able to criticise travellers needs to stop. I don't know where it started but it's brought up here all the time. It's like something out of a Daily Mail comment section.

There's only a handful of people in here, and they aren't taken seriously, who'll shout racism at traveller criticism. You shouldn't be afraid of what someone who thinks the settled people are dumping waste in halting sites or someone who thinks travellers are comparable to the Amish says. You need to toughen up if those types intimidate you.

This idea that you can't criticise travellers because of "PC GONE MAD" needs to die.

hawkelady wrote: »
    What are you on about. He is right. If a newspaper said they are travellers , joe Duffy would be roaring crying about the racist comment.

Oh noes, John Connors will be on Joe Duffy so nobody can say anything.

It's crazy how soft people are becoming if they think they can't criticise or mention travellers because of what some muppet says on a phone-in show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

What are you on about. He is right. If a newspaper said they are travellers , joe Duffy would be roaring crying about the racist comment. Unless a traveller has been convicted of a crime
    , you won’t hear any news outlet use the word traveller , even though we all bloody know it’s them that’s committing crimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HBWKNGNE8

Funny how often Joe asks how do you know they are travellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's crazy how soft people are becoming if they think they can't criticise or mention travellers because of what some muppet says on a phone-in show.

From reading this thread i dont think people have too much of problem criticising travelers :)

This nonsense about not being able to criticise travellers needs to stop. I don't know where it started but it's brought up here all the time. It's like something out of a Daily Mail comment section.

There's only a handful of people in here, and they aren't taken seriously, who'll shout racism at traveller criticism. You shouldn't be afraid of what someone who thinks the settled people are dumping waste in halting sites or someone who thinks travellers are comparable to the Amish says. You need to toughen up if those types intimidate you.

This idea that you can't criticise travellers because of "PC GONE MAD" needs to die.
    Did you see what happened to Peter Casey? He was absolutely torn apart by the media and other politicians, despite most of the country agreeing with him. It's not the people that are the problem. It's the media. For some reason I can't figure out they won't do proper reporting on travellers and stick to the narrative that their some sort of hard done by minority.

Tell me why that article on RTÉ website didn’t say that those lads selling 12 chainsaws to an old lady were travellers ?? I’ll wait ... there is a reason they didn’t you know !

Elderly woman pressured into buying 12 chainsaws, 11 generators and 7 power washers

Gardaí have issued fraud advice to the public following the incident.

https://www.thejournal.ie/elderly-woman-pressured-into-buying-12-chainsaws-11-generators-and-7-power-washers-4464707-Jan2019/

Comments are closed for legal reasons.

Be interesting to see what happens when the matter comes before the courts

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Elderly woman pressured into buying 12 chainsaws, 11 generators and 7 power washers

Gardaí have issued fraud advice to the public following the incident.

https://www.thejournal.ie/elderly-woman-pressured-into-buying-12-chainsaws-11-generators-and-7-power-washers-4464707-Jan2019/

Funny how the Journal don't allow comments on the story

I wonder why that is? ...

Criminal proceedings? Thankfully the cheques were stopped.

Criminal proceedings? Thankfully the cheques were stopped.

Yeah i edited my response accordingly

Some cheques were but i wouldn't be sure all were

You can pass judgment with out all the facts as you like. I'm saying I don't believe racists are in the majority.

Did you see what happened to Peter Casey? He was absolutely torn apart by the media and other politicians, despite most of the country agreeing with him. It's not the people that are the problem. It's the media. For some reason I can't figure out they won't do proper reporting on travellers and stick to the narrative that their some sort of hard done by minority.

Rightly. Casey was the only knac*** is that whole embarrassing run for President. He was torn apart because only a minority were fooled by his stirring up hate to get noticed in a race full of chancers. The majority voted on that one.

Tell me why that article on RTÉ website didn’t say that those lads selling 12 chainsaws to an old lady were travellers ?? I’ll wait ... there is a reason they didn’t you know !

So we don't know they weren't so they must be ;) got it.

So we don't know they weren't so they must be ;) got it.

You must live in a cave with no WiFi. Believe me,it was either travellers or those pesky coillte lads selling their chainsaws again .. they’re always at it !!
    Ps, cause I sense you might be a bit gullible , that was a joke about the coillte lads ... it was definitely travellers.

• Advertisement

I can only speculate but my guess is that they have some internal policy of not naming the ethnicity of criminals or suspects until they can publish names. Even at that, they tend not to mention ethnicity and instead opt for country of origin. When it comes to travellers, the most you'll get will be "John Fingers Ward, his cousin, John Slashhook Ward and their father, John Shíteinabucket Ward of no fixed abode in Rathkeale were arrested today on suspicion of causing affray at a graveyard during a funeral in Longford" so you can usually work out that they might be travellers.

I don't agree with this policy, as it happens. If you live in the country and you're hearing about gangs up to no good in the area, it would be helpful to know what to look out for. If RTE know that these are traveller gangs, they should publish that information.

My main argument in the earlier posts is that there are too many people who have this mistaken belief that you can't criticise travellers without being crucified.

Rightly. Casey was the only knac*** is that whole embarrassing run for President. He was torn apart because only a minority were fooled by his stirring up hate to get noticed in a race full of chancers. The majority voted on that one.

Casey was torn to shreds because beyond "I don't like travellers", he had nothing to offer. It was cynical pandering.

His voters got a hard time because anyone who falls for this kind of pandering is the kind of person who shouldn't look at a monorail catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Guys if you want to discuss the chainsaw incident! There a thread here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057950902

You must live in a cave with no WiFi. Believe me,it was either travellers or those pesky coillte lads selling their chainsaws again .. they’re always at it !!
    Ps, cause I sense you might be a bit gullible , that was a joke about the coillte lads ... it was definitely travellers.

Because I'll only get the truth from threads like this?
    It may well have been Travelers. I don't know. Saying RTE or who ever won't say it was, when they likely don't know for a fact, is because the minority that aren't racist will kick off is bollocks quite frankly. It's stirring, scaremongering with a touch of conspiracy theory.

The reason why threads like this aren't seen on the news is because IMO the majority aren't racist and don't want news based on a hunch, how ever right that hunch might be.

If they had been caught and charged then they could do a background check and identify them as travellers if that was the case.

Even though travellers are known for this kind of thing they can't print that it was them with out details of the suspects.

You need to understand the basic point that for liberals, once you have a minority profile, you are a sacred cow, everything else flows from this base point in terns of discussion, on matt Coopers dreadful radio show a fortnight ago, a panel discussion on the weeks events moved to the tinkers who caused havoc in new Zealand, one of the PC bot number 2 on the panel took off and managed to turn the marauding travellers into victims of prejudice on the part of the kiwi press and society, this despite the blatantly obvious glaring fact that new Zealand doesn't have a traveller community and the new Zealanders just naturally reacted to the lawless savages in their midst

A narative surrounding travellers exists in the PC Liberal Bible and the media practitioners adhere to the faith fullsomely

Casey was torn to shreds because beyond "I don't like travellers", he had nothing to offer. It was cynical pandering.

His voters got a hard time because anyone who falls for this kind of pandering is the kind of person who shouldn't look at a monorail catalogue.

Did he actually say that, though? Why don't we go over his actual comments and see what, exactly, is wrong with what he said:
    They're not paying their fair share of taxes in society

Statistically have a high percentage of unemployed paying 0 in income tax, and over-represented in the prison population placing a huge burden on taxpayers. Plus does anyone in the land believe they declare all their income to revenue? Do they F***. So this one is true.
    In response to the ethnic minority issue: "Load of nonsense, they're not from Romany or whatever"

Also true, they're not from Romany.
    "Somebody needs to sit up and say this is nonsense. Here we are giving them luxurious houses and they’re turning them down because they’ve no stables."

Again, true. They did turn them down and somebody does need to talk about it.
    They are encouraged to think that they are different, they are not. They should think and act as Irish people, not necessarily as different to everyone else, then their children end up thinking that they are different and it’s harder for their children to fit into society

Subjective......but there's nothing derogatory or defamatory in calling travelers Irish. His point about the divisive nature of being 'different' is right on the money.
    On Pavee Point: They let down the Travelling community. They should have gone down there and said ‘you are not looking good here’ and they should have represented the Travelling community.

Also true. Pavee point are lightning rods for taking offense when travelers are painted in a less than positive light......EXCEPT when it is the travelers' own actions which are doing the painting. Show me one example of PP condemning the actions of travelers, either singularly or as a whole?

And finally......
    Let's call a spade a spade. Your house price doesn't start going through the roof as soon as you get two dozen Travellers moving in down the street from you

Anyone who says they would purchase a new gaff next door to a halting site is a liar.

So, what is incorrect or untrue about any of that? Where did he ever say he doesn't like travelers? What is so inflammatory about the remarks at all? It's all true, and yet PP do their usual job of screaming blue murder when the poor auld tinkers are in the crosshairs.

Gimme a break.

Where will they be when the next pub or hotel is trashed? OR when some poor horse is killed / left for dead on the side of the road in Navan?

F***in' Nowhere.

Did he actually say that, though? Why don't we go over his actual comments and see what, exactly, is wrong with what he said:

That point was flippant. He didn't literally say "I don't like travellers". My point was that his whole campaign was little more than a complaint about travellers and shag all else. Anyone with a basic knowledge of history and politics would have had alarm bells going off with that while the less informed were able to say to themselves, "He tells it like it is".

He said lots of things and then after he said he did not consider travellers an ethnic minority(something he didn't know would be so popular) a large percentage of the population agreed with him.
    Is there anything racist about saying you consider travellers to be the same race as yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

John Says that Carricmines is racist murder

https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1088122898009731072

She's a week late but Mags just shared this and says he is 100% right.

Two peas in a pod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement