Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Haven't researched this - I'd say there's an enormous differential.

So you question how many posters here may not have finished school but you have no idea how many travellers are in the workforce? I'll give you a clue it's a very small number. Any thoughts why or do you seek to blame everyone other than the traveller?

So you question how many posters here may not have finished school but you have no idea how many travellers are in the workforce?
    I have a rough idea of both, based on ESRI stats. I'm not so much as interested in the precise figures, just wondering whether people are capable of drawing a correlation between their upbringing, and that of young travellers today.
    I'll give you a clue it's a very small number. Any thoughts why or do you seek to blame everyone other than the traveller?
    In the past, on this website, I've been accused of being a racist for suggesting that traveller parents (indeed, all parents) who consistently fail to send their children to school, should have their children taken away.

I certainly don't deny that travellers, in general, need to improve their efforts in ensuring that all of their children are capable of participating in our economy. At the same time, it's obvious that employers are discriminating against travellers, which can render all of that hard work futile.

I have a rough idea of both, based on ESRI stats. I'm not so much as interested in the precise figures, just wondering whether people are capable of drawing a correlation between their upbringing, and that of young travellers today.

You mean must people want to provide for themselves and work hard to do so whereas travellers seek to have others provide for them just as Mags does.

I certainly don't deny that travellers, in general, need to improve their efforts in ensuring that all of their children are capable of participating in our economy. At the same time, it's obvious that employers are discriminating against travellers, which can render all of that hard work futile.

If it's so obvious you will have no problem backing up your claim, when you are ready.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So you question how many posters here may not have finished school but you have no idea how many travellers are in the workforce? I'll give you a clue it's a very small number. Any thoughts why or do you seek to blame everyone other than the traveller?

Do you have a source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

60% off youth and 80% overall.
    I just skimmed the article tough.
    More younger people in sine form of education tough.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/traveller-youth-and-high-unemployment-highlighted-in-census-1.3253673%3fmode=amp

If it's so obvious you will have no problem backing up your claim, when you are ready.....
    Gladly. What statement would you like to see evidence for?

Just an example of high profile people Gavin Duffy and Sean Gallagher said during the presidential election and they'd gladly hire and live beside travellers.
    wHy wOulD tHeY LiE?

Gladly. What statement would you like to see evidence for?

You claimed employers are discriminating against travellers. Your claim, back it up.

wHy wOulD tHeY LiE?

When I look at Twitter/etc. There view is very popular. They were applauded for it as was Michael D. So all those people out there must love members of the travelling community and would gladly work/hire(If they applied) or live near travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I look at Twitter/etc. There view is very popular. They were applauded for it as was Michael D. So all those people out there must love members of the travelling community and would gladly work/hire(If they applied) or live near travellers.

I spat out my tea in my very expensive China tea cup .....

You claimed employers are discriminating against travellers. Your claim, back it up.
    Ah sure you're only throwing me soft-balls now, you're being too gentle.

Krieger et al, All-Ireland Traveller-Health Study, 2005; in which travellers experienced almost twice as much discrimination as black Americans when applying for employment.

Ask me a harder one. This is too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

But they find their first cousin so damn attractive.
    Ya Biddy looked so hot with the fake tan she had on the day of her First Communion

Okey dokey, Mags has claimed the Gubbermint is robbing her blind. Since she makes no contribution to government coffers but receives all her income from the state can you explain her logic in her contention to being robbed?

Twitter is not representative of public opinion, it contains a huge in-built demographic anomaly - its users are typically middle-class, educated, average-income earners or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Krieger et al, All-Ireland Traveller-Health Study, 2005; in which travellers experienced almost twice as much discrimination as black Americans when applying for employment.

How many have you or any of your family/friends have employed them to "do the gutters" " cut the hedge etc?

Okey dokey, Mags has claimed the Gubbermint is robbing her blind. Since she makes no contribution to government coffers but receives all her income from the state can you explain her logic in her contention to being robbed?
    Your turn to provide evidence, my dude. Can you quote me what she said? I haven't read it.

Twitter is not representative of public opinion, it contains a huge in-built demographic anomaly - its users are typically middle-class, educated, average-income earners or higher.

You could have just said those that work.

Edgware wrote: »
    How many have you or any of your family/friends have employed them to "do the gutters" " cut the hedge etc?
    We had them camp at the front gate to our farm once upon a time. Lovely people, wonderful horsemanship, very enviable. Even managed to sell them a pony. No regrets.

Your turn to provide evidence, my dude. Can you quote me what she said? I haven't read it.

So you don't want to answer a question you asked for? If you wish to find out where she said it, you could listen the podcast quoted here from 4fms Niall Boylan show. I'm not trawling posts for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

1m 30seconds

https://www.classichits.ie/podcasts/niall-boylan/episode/margaret-cash-interview/?autoplay=1

Yes and those are the people who do the hiring in my experience. So they all seem to be on board for hiring travellers when they seek employment. Norah Casey is another name that springs to mind.
    The government should also look at housing or building traveller accomdation in these areas because it's seems to be what the demographic want. It might speed things up.

Looks like I asked the Tyrant a hard question........ tumbleweed...... It's ok though I don't understand how the Gubbermint is robbing her blind either .

Looks like I asked the Tyrant a hard question........ tumbleweed...... It's ok though I don't understand how the Gubbermint is robbing her blind either .
    no - I just don't know what you're on about. Unlike your good self, I don't follow all of her statements.

What's the exact quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

no - I just don't know what you're on about. Unlike your good self, I don't follow all of her statements.

What's the exact quote?
    Ah here. Talk about deflection!! Your posts are a fcuking joke.

“De gubbermint is robbin us alive!! De gubbermint is robbin us alive!! Winter is cummin! Winter is cummin!”

Post 6926 from john4321 especially for you up there.

Ah here. Talk about deflection!! Your posts are a fcuking joke.
    Simply asked a question, David.

Seems to me that she just expressed some concern for people sleeping on the street over winter.

What exactly is the problem here, what exactly am I being asked to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Simply asked a question, David.

Seems to me that she just expressed some concern for people sleeping on the street over winter.

What exactly is the problem here, what exactly am I being asked to prove?
    Plumbthedepths asked you “Mags has claimed the Gubbermint is robbing her blind. Since she makes no contribution to government coffers but receives all her income from the state can you explain her logic in her contention to being robbed?”.

You asked for evidence of her comment. You were given the audio of same in which she very clearly makes the comment in Post No. 6926.

You continue to deflect. Impossible to take your obtuse posts seriously. Onto my ignore list you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

What planet are you on?

There are so many soundbites out there of her complaining that the gubbermint is robbing her blind that I've heard it as a ringtone.
    I get the feeling though that she has a different interpretation for "robbing" when she appears in court for it.

Plumbthedepths asked you “Mags has claimed the Gubbermint is robbing her blind. Since she makes no contribution to government coffers but receives all her income from the state can you explain her logic in her contention to being robbed?”.

You asked for evidence of her comment. You were given the audio of same in which she very clearly makes the comment in Post No. 6926.

You continue to deflect. Impossible to take your obtuse posts seriously. Onto my ignore list you go.
    Not deflecting anything, David. Calm yourself down.

I doubt that Margaret Cash makes no contribution to the Government, I assume she pays up to 23% VAT on items that she purchases, just like the rest of us. I don't follow her personal life as closely as you do, so perhaps she also pays income tax in her own right, or with a partner. I'm sure you'll be along shortly to fill me in on the minor aspects of her P60!

Sure lookit, we all have hobbies. I suppose yours is just a little less conventional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Lads, after looking at the last post above, I wouldn't be inclined to feed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I doubt that Margaret Cash makes no contribution to the Government, I assume she pays up to 23% VAT on items that she purchases, just like the rest of us.

*****Looks at thread title********

Seriously, I can't stop laughing

Kimbot wrote: »
    *****Looks at thread title********

Seriously, I can't stop laughing
    *Traveller allegedly shoplifts*

"OMG I was right all along! They're all thieves!!!!LL1!"

Alright, lets start this again when you're willing to come at this discussion with a bit of evidence. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Dante7 wrote: »
    As always, education is the answer. Education and contraception to empower women is how it progresses. Be very careful of any organisation trying to tell you otherwise.

American researchers have come up with a basic formula for any child from a disadvantaged background who wants to advance into the middle class: Finish high school, get a full-time job, and wait until at least age 21 to get married and have children. People who do these basic things have a very good chance of escaping their background.

But look at how Travellers do on these metrics. Only about 8 percent of Traveller children complete secondary education, with the majority dropping out of school between the ages of 12 and 15. Only a small minority of Travellers have full-time jobs -- in fact, there are more adult male Travellers on disability allowance than there are in full-time employment. And many Travellers marry and have children while still in their teens themselves.

Margaret Cash is Exhibit A here. Left school at 12, married at 15, pregnant at 16, and a mother of seven by 27.

Anybody who genuinely cares about Travellers' well-being should be trying to stamp out traditions of early school-leaving, rampant unemployment, and girls getting married as young as 16.

Remarkably, though, people who criticize these aspects of Traveller culture are labelled racists and right-wing bigots. It makes no sense.
    Isn't it illegal to get married at 15?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Alright, lets start this again when you're willing to come at this discussion with a bit of evidence. Thank you.

Will you go away out of that, if you want evidence go look for it yourself. The woman has convictions for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Have you a link to that paper?

• Advertisement

Nothing alleged. She admitted it!

Will you go away out of that, if you want evidence go look for it yourself. The woman has multiple convictions for theft alone.
    No offence to Margaret Cash, but I'm not really interested in her.

I asked for evidence in relation to travellers, in general.

I won't get it, mind you, but asking is half the battle.

Have you a link to that paper?
    https://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/AITHS_SUMMARY.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

We had them camp at the front gate to our farm once upon a time. Lovely people, wonderful horsemanship, very enviable. Even managed to sell them a pony. No regrets.

Was this in 1950?

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Was this in 1950?
    1998 or thereabouts, not far from Nenagh, my fellow Tipp-man (if I remember correctly)

• Advertisement

No offence to Margaret Cash, but I'm not really interested in her.

I asked for evidence in relation to travellers, in general.

I won't get it, mind you, but asking is half the battle.

I wasn't generalizing travellers so I'm not going to provide you with this evidence you crave, as I said you can go look for that yourself. My comment was specifically about her paying vat, but it doesn't matter if she gets a 5 finger discount, the money she does buy anything with comes straight out of government coffers so she's not really providing anything.

Oh and if you are not interested in Margaret what the hell are you doing in this thread? You want to discuss something else then go post a new thread, this one is about Margaret

I wasn't generalizing travellers so I'm not going to provide you with this evidence you crave
    Oh! Guilty me! Asking for evidence of your claims, how DAFT!
    Oh and if you are not interested in Margaret what the hell are you doing in this thread? You want to discuss something else then go post a new thread, this one is about Margaret
    I have so many questions.

Firstly, why are you referring to a stranger by their forename? But that question is minor in relation to my next question --

You've decided that this thread is about "Margaret"?! Do you have any idea of how pathetic that sounds? That you are following online the activities of some single mum, and making sure that nobody speaks out in her favour? Ah here, have a word with yourself, lad.

Oh! Guilty me! Asking for evidence of your claims, how DAFT!

I have so many questions.

Firstly, why are you referring to a stranger by their forename? But that question is minor in relation to my next question --

You've decided that this thread is about "Margaret"?! Do you have any idea of how pathetic that sounds? That you are following online the activities of some single mum, and making sure that nobody speaks out in her favour? Ah here, have a word with yourself, lad.

What claim did I make that requires evidence?

The only person that needs to have a word with themselves is you "lad" cos your the one taking the piss at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The paper you quoted below shows that 90% of travellers are unemployed. 'Twice as much discrimination as Black Americans when applying for employment'. Does that mean 45% of Black Americans are unemployed? Doubt it

The paper you quoted references Krieger but does not link to Krieger's research on Discrimination of Travellers regards employment. It does not describe how the data was gathered or calculated, which is what I suspect you were asked to show.

What claim did I make that requires evidence?

The only person that needs to have a word with themselves is you "lad" cos your the one taking the piss at this stage.
    The internet is wonderful, isn't it?

All sorts of head-bangers can make all sorts of statements, and never have to back them up.

Ah well. We can all judge these posters on the basis of their evidence, or lack thereof.

A 10 year old study based on self-reported experiences of discrimination, in which it states that discrimination, or perceived discrimination in this case, may arise from a number of factors and not just ethnicity. Rock solid stuff.

The paper you quoted references Krieger but does not link to Krieger's research on Discrimination of Travellers regards employment. It does not describe how the data was gathered or calculated, which is what I suspect you were asked to show.

It references a 2005 paper by Krieger in which she uses an EOD (Experiences of Discrimination) model that she developed and published a paper on in 1990.

But it essentially just boils down to asking "Have you ever experienced discrimination when getting hired or getting a job?". Very scientific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

A 10 year old study based on self-reported experiences of discrimination, in which it states that discrimination, or perceived discrimination in this case, may arise from a number of factors and not just ethnicity. Rock solid stuff.

Yes it mainly says that Travellers feel that they have no employment opportunities due to lack of education.
    This is exactly what we are all saying.

Instead of solving the issue by availing of education, they decide to continue not getting an education and then moan about lack of employment opportunities. :rolleyes:

What's the exact quote?

I told you she claimed the government was robbing her blind despite all her income is derived from the state. Another poster linked the radio interview to where she made this claim which I see you ignored so you can claim ignorance. So maybe scoot back a few posts and listen to the interview. You did ask for a hard question, so again can you explain Mags logic as to how the state is robbing her blind considering all her income is given to her by the state.

Yes it mainly says that Travellers feel that they have no employment opportunities due to lack of education.
    This is exactly what we are all saying.

Instead of solving the issue by availing of education, they decide to continue not getting an education and then moan about lack of employment opportunities. :rolleyes:

The report comments on positive aspects of traveller culture with this line:

"Many positive aspects of Traveller culture and value systems should be better promoted. The strong sense of community, family support, religiosity, and valuing of Traveller culture and identity emerge from the data"

I'm fairly sure one of the other blow-ins who came in on a wind up earlier in the thread cited the same things as the bolded part above. Looks like they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement