Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

84% Irish myself, the rest being a mix of English (8%), Spanish (5%), Greek/Turkish (2%), Nordic (1%). Plus the results of that bloody type survey keep changing since they are actually reliant and those who supply actual details of their ancestry. Mind thats off topic for here.

Beyond that, I want better for the Travelling community, but first they must want it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I mean I'm native Irish (as far back as anyone in either side of the family knows, at least 5-6 generations in the Pale, never mind anywhere else!).

Those DNA kit yokes say we're 96% Irish, although I take that with a grain of salt.

Where does it end?

We're the same, not a planter's surname in sight on the family tree. All ancient Irish. We shouldn't have to pay tax. :D

Although I did show up in a DNA test with twice the amount of 'Iberian' in me as normal in an Irish person.

We think that one of our womenfolk might have got loose with a Spanish sailor back in 1588.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

blanch152 wrote: »
    The last Census looked at travellers in depth.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itseah/

What these figures show us is that traveller culture results in women being taken out of education at a young age, married off and turned into baby factories.

Some say traveller culture is a good thing, I don't.

Now it doesn't have figures on life expectancy, but the population profiles would support the idea that there is a lower life expectancy.

This is from a UCD report back in September 2010. It's a bit out of date by now but it does show life expectancy figures. Full link below if you have the time.

https://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/AITHS_SUMMARY.pdf

u7A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm on my phone. It's a nightmare trying to multi quote using the mobile app. I have read all the replies, will reply when I'm back at my desk. Chill, petal.

You still not back at your desk?

Or are you ready to admit you're just trolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they don't even give the young kids a chance!

most traveller families do not take up the free preschool place that are FREE for their children. ITS FREE!!! you just have to bring them there 5 days a week. maybe thats the issue - no free transport.
    where the kids might learn a few basic skills to help them - washing hands, social skills, proper language and vocabulary, counting, letters, how to play etc
    any difficulties might be picked up on - speech and language, sight etc that could be treated while the child is young

they land into primary school at 5.
    usually with no uniform, books or anything.
    Then go running to the local social welfare officer to look for more money for that.
    You may laugh,be amazed ,or call me a liar,at Scoil an spioraid naoimh bishoptown, when my son attended, school provided( 3 years) 2 taxis to and from school to campsite off the straight road cork,this changed to a wait for it. LIMO ,excuse that it was cheaper as there were another few traveller kids needed to attend,( at the time I was traveling 13 miles each way,,I was bloody incensed- I questioned the vice head,now principal,( Brian Cuthbert- ex Cork football coach)and was told no comment,it was aired on Red FM who also couldn't get a comment from the school,I went with a video cam stood opposite the entrance to the site, captured every vehicle leaving and entering ,back to the school - still no joy,my point was I was driving a 11 ye old banger yet still made it to school,yet all the travellers vehicles were much newer than mine and they couldn't be bothered to bring their kids on the 10 m drive to school,,,,crazy stuff,this has now stopped AFAIK,100 percent true,pm me anyone who doesent believe me,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

You may laugh,be amazed ,or call me a liar,at Scoil an spioraid naoimh bishoptown, when my son attended, school provided( 3 years) 2 taxis to and from school to campsite off the straight road cork,this changed to a wait for it. LIMO ,excuse that it was cheaper as there were another few traveller kids needed to attend,( at the time I was traveling 13 miles each way,,I was bloody incensed- I questioned the vice head,now principal,( Brian Cuthbert- ex Cork football coach)and was told no comment,it was aired on Red FM who also couldn't get a comment from the school,I went with a video cam stood opposite the entrance to the site, captured every vehicle leaving and entering ,back to the school - still no joy,my point was I was driving a 11 ye old banger yet still made it to school,yet all the travellers vehicles were much newer than mine and they couldn't be bothered to bring their kids on the 10 m drive to school,,,,crazy stuff,this has now stopped AFAIK,100 percent true,pm me anyone who doesent believe me,,,,

Can't even read that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

tretorn wrote: »

That's what a lenient court system results in, they don't care ffor or respect the Gardai or the Justice system because they have no reason to fear - do any crime short of murder, have 100s of convictions and you're still looking at a fully suspended sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

BBFAN wrote: »

I could read it with ease. Why can’t you read it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is just one of these things that people may not like but it's these things the government has to try and get this minority group to attend school. I'm speaking about the taxi thing not a limo.
    It's similar to homework groups that are ran by community groups, uniform allowances, lunches/breakfasts in deis schools, books, etc.
    I sort of get why the principal couldn't comment on another families circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBFAN wrote:

Why? it's in fairly understandable English.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is traveller health and life expectancy not a result of their actions rather than them being denied their human rights?
    Wrong question, with respect. Your question is a bit like asking 'are poor people poor because of circumstances, or because they are stupid?'. Neither answer is correct. A better question might be, 'are traveller children achieving optimal educational and life-expectation outcomes in their current living conditions?'. The answer to that is an unambiguous No, and it's all to do with upbringing.
    most travellers appear to shun education
    Any evidence for this? Or just something you invented on a whim?
    That must be the same farm they send all the old, sick dogs to. I bet the f*ckin pony regretted it shortly after. How could anyone in their right mind sell an animal to a traveller.
    I've always been amused when people expressed shock or disgust at our selling that pony to the travellers. That family had no plumbing, and about five kids in their van - but sell them a pony and, woah - the middle classes are clambering over their own outrage.

There is a certain segment of Irish society which places greater value on a bloody pony than they do on the life of a human child.

nobody is promised optimal outcomes in this world man.

nobody is promised optimal outcomes in this world man.
    Of course.

But there's a big difference in being unable to guarantee an optimal upbringing, and going out of your way (in fact, spending money) to deprive a child of that upbringing.

Just look at the homelessness crisis. We're spending more money to put families in temporary, chaotic accommodation than it would cost to provide them with a home.

Of course.

But there's a big difference in being unable to guarantee an optimal upbringing, and going out of your way (in fact, spending money) to deprive a child of that upbringing.

Just look at the homelessness crisis. We're spending more money to put families in temporary, chaotic accommodation than it would cost to provide them with a home.

So, what do you think the government should do?
    They've pumped loads of money in education in the last few decades. Kids get access to SNA, resource hours, get laptops/iPads when required, they are homework groups/clubs and in second level these are there to align with LCA and youth reach if the traditional leaving cert wasn't for you.
    We've seen houses thrown back in the govemrents face in the last year because they weren't good enough.
    They government are doing more than ever to help members of the travelling community yo get an education.
    They even provide allounces for books and uniforms.
    They only other options would be to pay people attend school or fine people harshly for non attendance.

So, what do you think the government should do?
    Don't be asking me such easy questions.

1) Provide halting sites which are capable of accommodating families -we have vast amounts of academic research publications describing how well children do, when surrounded by their families.

2) Fund homework clubs and other extra-mural student supports for travellers and other non-traditional CAO applicants.

None of this should cost more than about 30-45 million, it would make a phenomenal difference to our society, and yet most of our politicians show zero interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Righty-O.
    You are going on "mute".

1) Provide halting sites which are capable of accommodating families -we have vast amounts of academic research publications describing how well children do, when surrounded by their families.

2) Fund homework clubs and other extra-mural student supports for travellers and other non-traditional CAO applicants.

None of this should cost more than about 30-45 million, it would make a phenomenal difference to our society, and yet most of our politicians show zero interest.

1) They often do this but all this turning down houses/sites over horses has to be stopped. It's happened in Cork and Thurles.
    2) They are loads of schools with homework clubs and external groups in place at the moment of course they could have more.
    No issue with courses being provided. There's a large range of PLC courses at the moment. It's important tough that courses have some hope of getting you into employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Kivaro wrote: »
    Righty-O.
    You are going on "mute".

I haven't come across a mod that's so obviously on a wind-up in a thread before. His initial post calling other posters idiots didn't even get carded. Pointless engaging with someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Won't you mean,pm I'll give u a number,or better still contact red FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What does this even mean?
    Are Traveller children not completely surrounded by their families and extended families already? Much more than any other group of society who tend to have working parents and tend not to live with their extended family as neighbours.

According to your own point, Traveller kids should be the highest achievers in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What does this even mean?
    Are Traveller children not completely surrounded by their families and extended families already? Much more than any other group of society who tend to have working parents and tend not to live with their extended family as neighbours.

According to your own point, Traveller kids should be the highest achievers in Ireland.

They are taught how to steal and scam to the highest possible level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I doubt that Margaret Cash makes no contribution to the Government, I assume she pays up to 23% VAT on items that she purchases.

200.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Regarding 1)
    They are given housing/halting sites for their families. That is a house and space for their caravans. What happens? They ask for more!
    This is the problem. The vast majority of people are not racist against Travellers but they can definitely see that not only do they get special treatment they come asking for more.

There as been numerous cases of them being given new houses, they not only ruin but they then go asking the council to repair/clean them up!

Don't let it be forgotten that it was the houses in Thurles that Peter Casey initially commented on that started that entire reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Of course.

No we’re not, the government are spending 5 billion this year on housing.

Emergency accommodation is a drop in the ocean compared to that.

At least state wine facts instead of nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    That's what a lenient court system results in, they don't care ffor or respect the Gardai or the Justice system because they have no reason to fear - do any crime short of murder, have 100s of convictions and you're still looking at a fully suspended sentence.

Why fix a gift that keeps on giving? They could have come down HARD like a tonne of bricks on their nonsense a long time ago, and maybe that day will come. But the Gardai get overtime, the Barristers get guaranteed highly paid work, the Welfare Departments get to make recommendations, and the Judiciary carry on.

We'll make report after report after report and nothing gets done and nothing will change, and anyone who does even try implement change gets called a Fascist.

Wrong question, with respect. Your question is a bit like asking 'are poor people poor because of circumstances, or because they are stupid?'. Neither answer is correct. A better question might be, 'are traveller children achieving optimal educational and life-expectation outcomes in their current living conditions?'. The answer to that is an unambiguous No, and it's all to do with upbringing.

It's not the wrong question.

Poor people can be poor because of their actions (lazy, poor employment skills etc.). But they can also be poor due to factors outside of their control such as no jobs/recession/no transport for work etc.

There aren't that many factors outside of the control of travellers that lead to the shortening of their life-expectancy. I can't think of any really (but it is early in the morning so my brain mightn't be working properly). Diet is certainly under their control. Going to school and doing the leaving cert is certainly under their control. Accessing medical treatment is certainly under their control. Not engaging in feuds and hacking the fcuk out of each other at funerals and weddings is certainly under their control. Not driving a van with a pile of kids in the back with no seat-belts is certainly under their control.

I am going to guess that you'll say that housing isn't under their control. Well, then they are in the same boat as the rest of us in that regard. If they don't have the option of buying a house, they go on a waiting list like the rest of us. They aren't excluded from applying for council houses. They have the same rights or even more rights than the rest of us in that regard.

At some stage travellers are going to have to start taking responsibility for their life choices and in reality, they will have to change.
    Any evidence for this? Or just something you invented on a whim?
    Ah come on, how many times has it been mentioned here that the percentage of travellers who finish the leaving cert is far far lower than the percentage of settled people who finish the leaving cert.

But don't take my word for it. The ESRI say that 8% of working age travellers completed the leaving certificate compared to 73% of non-travellers. https://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS56.pdf
    I've always been amused when people expressed shock or disgust at our selling that pony to the travellers. That family had no plumbing, and about five kids in their van - but sell them a pony and, woah - the middle classes are clambering over their own outrage.
    Go to the nearest donkey sanctuary and ask if you can adopt a donkey. Tell them that you have no land, no plumbing, yourself and your five kids are living in a van and see will they allow you to adopt a donkey?

Those people were hard pressed to look after themselves let alone a pony.

If my living circumstances were as you outlined above, I think I'd have better things to do with my money than to buy a pony.
    There is a certain segment of Irish society which places greater value on a bloody pony than they do on the life of a human child.
    You are getting carried away there. Caring about animal welfare doesn't stop people from caring about human life. They aren't mutually exclusive things. If the traveller family are hard set to look after themselves, how can they look after a pony too? That means even less time and resources to look after their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BattleCorp wrote:
    Poor people can be poor because of their actions (lazy, poor employment skills etc.). But they can also be poor due to factors outside of their control such as no jobs/recession/no transport for work etc.

Fcuking hell, ignorance is bliss!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fcuking hell, ignorance is bliss!

I don't see my comment as being made through ignorance.

There are many factors why a person can be poor.

If they choose not to work, choose not to gain skills that would make them employable, then that could be a factor in making them poor. Those instances would be due to personal decisions.

But I did not say that's the only reason why people can be poor. Mostly it's because of environmental factors. The recession made lots of people poor. Being from certain areas with no employment locally, no transport to other areas where there is employment etc. can also make people poor through no fault of their own.

Where's the ignorance in that statement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Same crowd who were a bit "problematic" at the 4* Kingsley , and thrown out, after being given temporary accommodation when their caravans were damaged in storm Ophelia?
    Later pitch up in City Hall decrying their treatment :

https://www.96fm.ie/news/11-traveller-families-stage-sit-in-at-cork-city-ha/

BattleCorp wrote:
    If they choose not to work, choose not to gain skills that would make them employable, then that could be a factor in making them poor. Those instances would be due to personal decisions.

You should probably do some more research into the causes of long term unemployment, and maybe change your resources of information, you ll find that the use of terms such as 'laziness' is just 'lazy research'.

You should probably do some more research into the causes of long term unemployment, and maybe change your resources of information, you ll find that the use of terms such as 'laziness' is just 'lazy research'.

And you should read the second part of my last post where I said that laziness isn't the only cause of long term unemployment. It's not even a major part of it.

I've said that unemployment is mostly caused by factors that people can't control such as no jobs, no transport etc.

You don't believe that there are lazy people out there? People too lazy to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So... what you're implying here, and apparently have said or implied at least twice - is that we should take the word of some stranger on the internet, and his stated experience of travellers, and - what? Apply it to travellers generally?

I'm sure it's obvious to most people that this logic falls at a number of hurdles.

What I'm saying is I've had one application from a traveller in years of recruitment, various roles btw.

You had stated that most/all employers or potential employers on this thread would not hire a traveller, I shared my experience which said otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Odelay wrote: »
    I could read it with ease. Why can’t you read it?

Doesn't fit the agenda, that's why.

Not bothered explaining why you should be ashamed of yourself for selling a pony to travellers because Battlecorp has already said it more succinctly than I could at this hour.

As for the above, 1) They are already provided with halting sites and those that they don't ruin and rob the copper from are very capable of housing multiple families. If they could stop feuding for a while that is.
    2) Exactly when do we stop funding everything and ask them to do something for themselves? Like make sure their kids go to school instead of robbing shops. This hand holding helps no one. We've tried it, doesn't work.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And you should read the second part of my last post where I said that laziness isn't the only cause of long term unemployment. It's not even a major part of it.

I've said that unemployment is mostly caused by factors that people can't control such as no jobs, no transport etc.

You don't believe that there are lazy people out there? People too lazy to work?

you really should look into this lazy thing, you may realise the laziness is actually on your side of things, in the form of 'lazy research'

you really should look into this lazy thing, you may realise the laziness is actually on your side of things, in the form of 'lazy research'

"So you're saying" all the unemployed are actually engaged with social services and actively looking for employment?

Or, as he said there are several reasons for unemployment, one of which is laziness...

Lazy signalling there yourself boss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No it totally makes sense, lazy people are an urban myth like the bogeyman. Couldn't possibly be real.

"So you're saying" all the unemployed are actually engaged with social services and actively looking for employment?

Or, as he said there are several reasons for unemployment, one of which is laziness...

Lazy signalling there yourself boss...

theres been plenty of research into the root causes of unemployment, labeling the behavior of these individuals as 'laziness' is just 'lazy research', and ultimately, 'ignorance'

This is just one of these things that people may not like but it's these things the government has to try and get this minority group to attend school. I'm speaking about the taxi thing not a limo.
    It's similar to homework groups that are ran by community groups, uniform allowances, lunches/breakfasts in deis schools, books, etc.
    I sort of get why the principal couldn't comment on another families circumstances.

Its about a 2.5km cycle to the school, a lot of it on off road cycle paths though.

But the Amish have been sneaking into their site and dumping stuff over the fence into a pond

https://imgur.com/a/lSeR9LA

2222BNva02_th.jpg

• Advertisement

theres been plenty of research into the root causes of unemployment, labeling the behavior of these individuals as 'laziness' is just 'lazy research', and ultimately, 'ignorance'

Cool your jets.
    He said one of the reasons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My dyslexic colleague said it took her just five minutes, agreed the font makes it look hard to read, but will overcomes that as proven by the statement made by colleague.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bredabe wrote: »
    My dyslexic colleague said it took her just five minutes, agreed the font makes it look hard to read, but will overcomes that as proven by the statement made by colleague.

What the poster meant is there are no spaces and it's extremely difficult to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What the poster meant is there are no spaces and it's extremely difficult to read.
    I get that, but I question the motivations, if someone with a reading disorder could read it slightly slower that people without did. Therefore it seems there is a lack of will involved.
    Which is being used to belittle the writer.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Couldn’t read it but knew(decided) it was crap

I'm on my phone. It's a nightmare trying to multi quote using the mobile app. I have read all the replies, will reply when I'm back at my desk. Chill, petal.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    You still not back at your desk?

Or are you ready to admit you're just trolling?

Still not at the desk by the looks of it. I look forward to Tyrant getting back to his/her keyboard.

Don't forget about the questions asked of your UCD study 3 days ago btw....

Still not at the desk by the looks of it. I look forward to Tyrant getting back to his/her keyboard.

Don't forget about the questions asked of your UCD study 3 days ago btw....
    I did reply after posting that.

I'll reply again when I get the chance; people often want to hear detailed responses with scholarly links. Other times, it almost seems to me that some people are only too delighted to get a response, so that they can vent all their weird anger.

I did reply after posting that.

I'll reply again when I get the chance; people often want to hear detailed responses with scholarly links. Other times, it almost seems to me that some people are only too delighted to get a response, so that they can vent all their weird anger.

You only replied to the things you wanted and then ignored the responses.

You were demanding 'evidence' for peoples views a few nights ago and posted your own 'evidence' which people ripped up. You ignored follow up questions.

Anyway forget it, it's obvious you are just trolling anyway.

You only replied to the things you wanted and then ignored the responses.

You were demanding 'evidence' for peoples views a few nights ago and posted your own 'evidence' which people ripped up. You ignored follow up questions.

Anyway forget it, it's obvious you are just trolling anyway.
    Lad, it's Friday night; sorry if I'm not diligently trawling through boards to make sure I reply to everyone.

Chill out. The fact that I'm barely reading the thread, and that you are asking for a reply, suggests to me that I'm probably not the one seeking attention here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Absolutely. If you are brought up to believe that working 40 hours a week is a mugs game and there is an easier option of filling out a few forms and getting the weak settled folk to subsidise your existence based on your "culture", why would the kids think any differently?

Adult travellers are the problem. They take the young ones out of school between the ages of 12-15 because they don't want them mixing with settled kids. God forbid a traveller girl would get into a relationship with a settled male and want a life for herself outside the confines of being a baby factory. God forbid that traveller kids would realise that education means that you can actually have a career that gives you fulfilment. Not all jobs are minimum wage but you have to get educated to get them. My brother is a programmer and he is the stereotypical nerd. He LOVES his job and bores the rest of us to tears with his "exciting" stories.

They could become doctors, firefighters, paramedics etc if only they stayed in school. They are not pushed out of school by settled people. The government spends loads of money trying to keep them there but the adults won't have it. They want to keep them isolated and uneducated because an uneducated teen is far more compliant than a mid 20's adult with a university education and options.

You are living in la la land. 60 years ago many people have stories about letting Travellers stay on their land and the Travellers did farm work etc. Those days of Travellers being Travellers and self sufficient are long gone. Nowadays most "Travellers" live in houses provided by the state taxpayer and are subsidised by social welfare/medical cards, also provided by the state taxpayer.

Your comparison with the poor also doesn't hold weight. As has been quoted many times on this thread, Margaret Cash herself said "I'm not poor, I'm homeless. I'm on benefits just like everyone else". They have money, they just spend it stupidly on gaudy furniture and expensive communion outfits. God forbid they'd spend it on their kids education or giving them a healthy diet.

Welfare is their "income" to spend how they see fit but don't be saying that they are discriminated against. They are adults who have the same choices as everyone else. They make poor choices and foist those same choices on their children by depriving them of an education and a fair shot at life. The cycle rinses and repeats.

I have a serious question for you. What do you think is the future for Margaret's daughter? Do you think she will finish secondary school and go onto university or will she be taken out of school before finishing the Junior Cert and married off to someone? If she is married off, is that because of settled discrimination? That child is only 9 years old. Right now she is an innocent child with the world at her feet but what future should she have and who gets to decide it? Should she be married off in her teens or should she get educated and decide for herself in her 20's?

Please answer those questions. You have very strong views on how Travellers have it so hard but show little to no insight into how Travellers themselves can overcome these issues. Tell us what we can/should do to change the trajectory of Margaret's daughter's life, or do you think we should just leave her be and let Traveller culture takes it's course? I honestly want to know what you think. Should that 9 year old finish education or become a product of Traveller upbringing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement