Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just out interest Shoesdayschild what would you do if the pain got to much?
    If it became so bad you couldn't leave the house or you could barely move with pain.
    Would you accept social welfare or would you rely on family.

I've seen people with good jobs. Nice lifestyles, cars, clothes, holidays you name it. Then due to illness or ill health they lost this. They receive there weekly payment off the government and they don't have the lifestyle they once had. They loose touch with friends simply because they can't afford it anymore. They aren't overly happy in there lives and if they could go back they'd do anything possibly but they can't of course they are people who milk the system and this can be dealt with but some people do need the support.
    When the pain gets too much I adjust medication. I’m currently on a med that is causing my hair to come out but I can close my hands, and stand on my feet.
    When I left my job to take care of my dying father, I didn’t apply for social welfare. If the time ever comes that I absolutely have to, I won’t feel bad about it because the government have taken enough money off me in the way of prsi, usc, income tax, and inheritance tax. But I intend on working for as long as I possibly can, and if I’m ever in a situation that I can’t, I hope my business is doing well enough that it can take care of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When the pain gets too much I adjust medication. I’m currently on a med that is causing my hair to come out but I can close my hands, and stand on my feet.
    When I left my job to take care of my dying father, I didn’t apply for social welfare. If the time ever comes that I absolutely have to, I won’t feel bad about it because the government have taken enough money off me in the way of prsi, usc, income tax, and inheritance tax. But I intend on working for as long as I possibly can, and if I’m ever in a situation that I can’t, I hope my business is doing well enough that it can take care of me.

That's good to know.
    Now I never deny that people milk the system. It drives me mad.
    Most people I know who had good jobs that end up on illness benefit/disability. Tried medication, every type of alternative therapy possible but they came a time and they simply weren't up to work and if they did make it in others were doing there work for them.
    Now there are times when people can change jobs but this isn't always possible.
    In a few years tough how would you feel if you were on some kind of social welfare payment and you were constantly being told get up the pain can't be that bad? I'm able to manage with pain why can't you.
    By the way sorry if you think I'm having ago at you.

That's good to know.
    Now I never deny that people milk the system. It drives me mad.
    Most people I know who had good jobs that end up on illness benefit/disability. Tried medication, every type of alternative therapy possible but they came a time and they simply weren't up to work and if they did make it in others were doing there work for them.
    Now there are times when people can change jobs but this isn't always possible.
    In a few years tough how would you feel if you were on some kind of social welfare payment and you were constantly being told get up the pain can't be that bad? I'm able to manage with pain why can't you.
    By the way sorry if you think I'm having ago at you.
    When I was diagnosed with my arthritis, it was so severe I couldn’t close my right hand. Couldn’t open jars, turn off a tap, hold a hair brush, hold a steering wheel. I went private and saw a rumathologist very quickly but still needed two emergency apps while waiting for the appointment. I was on an insanely high dose of steroids prescribed by the doctors in accident and emergency because my own gp wouldn’t give me anymore steroids as he felt I had taken them as much as I should. In my line of work, I rely on my hands, like most people do.

When I met the rumathologist he asked if I had any questions and my question was “I won’t have to give up work, will I?” My hands were so bad I didn’t think I’d ever be able to use them properly again. He said he would make sure I was able for work for as long as I wanted. So I have complete faith in him looking after me and slowing this condition down.

I’m 30, I hope to work for at least another 30 years. I own my own business. I pay and contribute enough that if I have no other choice down the line, I won’t feel bad. I’ve never been on the dole. I have never so much as claimed an eye test on my stamps. I won’t feel bad if I’m so unwell that I physically cannot do any sort of work. I may not be able for my actual hands on job, but could I work part time doing admin work? Answering phones?

And listen, I’m prepared for the fact I may not be able to work down the line. That’s why I save. I work hard now. I’m trying to work at my business. I intend to be comfortable and live on my own buck when I’m older. I’m building my future now. I’m not waiting to see what happens. Does that answer your question?

I won’t feel bad
    Does that answer your question?

All you had to say was I won't feel bad.
    All my point was I've seen hard working people who've always worked and done there best and then they end up on disability/etc and it's hard for them especially when they are told by people to get over yourself I have pain to.

All you had to say was I won't feel bad.
    All my point was I've seen hard working people who've always worked and done there best and then they end up on disability/etc and it's hard for them especially when they are told by people to get over yourself I have pain to.
    Who are overshadowed by people who simply don’t want to work, waiting for any excuse at all to avoid work. I fully support genuinely sick and disabled people receiving state support, better quality of life, easier access to treatment. My initial consultation with my consultant was 200 I think, 100 if you need injections, and 150 for your check ups. I had my app within weeks. I’m aware there’s people who can’t do that and they’re left for months waiting when they cannot wait. That’s not right or fair.

You’ve the likes of Margaret cash and 98% of the rest of the travellers, and a string of single mothers who think it’s the states responsibility to feed and clothe and house them and their children, you’ve the workshy wasters hiding behind a guise of “disability” but it doesn’t stop them living their live to it’s full potential in every other area except work. You have the long term dolers who assume the government owe them a living, and they’re all taking from the actual needy, the people who cannot help themselves.

I read some spending diary of an elderly man just tonight who “treated” himself to a pate from lidl for 79 cent. It’s people like Him, the elderly and the disabled and the sick that we should be looking after. Not workshy wasters like mgt €€€

Who are overshadowed by people who simply don’t want to work, waiting for any excuse at all to avoid work. I fully support genuinely sick and disabled people receiving state support, better quality of life, easier access to treatment. My initial consultation with my consultant was 200 I think, 100 if you need injections, and 150 for your check ups. I had my app within weeks. I’m aware there’s people who can’t do that and they’re left for months waiting when they cannot wait. That’s not right or fair.

You’ve the likes of Margaret cash and 98% of the rest of the travellers, and a string of single mothers who think it’s the states responsibility to feed and clothe and house them and their children, you’ve the workshy wasters hiding behind a guise of “disability” but it doesn’t stop them living their live to it’s full potential in every other area except work. You have the long term dolers who assume the government owe them a living, and they’re all taking from the actual needy, the people who cannot help themselves.

I read some spending diary of an elderly man just tonight who “treated” himself to a pate from lidl for 79 cent. It’s people like Him, the elderly and the disabled and the sick that we should be looking after. Not workshy wasters like mgt €€€

If you have read my posts on here I have very little time for Margaret Cash or others similar to here.
    I have very little time for people who milk the system or engage in criminality.
    I also didn't defend people who claimed falsely claimed disability allowance.
    I feel sorry for people who generally need the help and are made feel guilty for accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I’m 30, I hope to work for at least another 30 years. I own my own business. I pay and contribute enough that if I have no other choice down the line, I won’t feel bad. I’ve never been on the dole. I have never so much as claimed an eye test on my stamps. I won’t feel bad if I’m so unwell that I physically cannot do any sort of work. I may not be able for my actual hands on job, but could I work part time doing admin work? Answering phones?

I have MS and thankfully am still able to work full time, albeit often through the fog of fatigue.
    I am aware that it likely won't always be the case, so have made sure to set up a decent pension etc, made other arrangements for worst case scenario down the line.
    It gauls me that there are so many out there who simply "choose" the lifestyle that Cash does. Have they zero pride in themselves? No aspirations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder if a day can go by where someone won’t try knock people who are social welfare for genuine reasons. :rolleyes:

As someone who is, I can assure you I’m not living a life of luxury. Half the time I have to choose between new clothes I need or food. I envy anyone capable of work and I strive to find a job I can do with the bull**** I’m dealt re headaches, depression etc. But every time I’ve applied for a job and sat an interview I get a rejection and then feel more depressed :pac:

Of course, there are people who are on social welfare for genuine reasons, nobody is disputing that. Will a day ever go by when somebody questioning national statistics relating to thousands of people not be accused of attacking a particular individual?

The statistics are clear. Ireland has one of the highest rates of disability social welfare in the world. At the systemic level there are only three possible reasons:

(1) The system is too generous in what is considered a disability
    (2) There is significant fraud within the system
    (3) Irish people are inbred leading to higher rates of disability

I am agnostic on the three reasons, because there is little research as to which is true. However, saying all of the above is not an attack on any individual, because even if all three reasons are true, and you corrected for them, you would still have individuals fully entitled to social welfare disability payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It gauls me that there are so many out there who simply "choose" the lifestyle that Cash does. Have they zero pride in themselves? No aspirations?

From what I gather, it seems like culturally she's been born and raised to this, and it's really difficult to break those bonds. Married off young, pulled from school, family of criminals, basically raised to be aggressive, hostile and thieving.

I think she's incorrigible at this point, bar some dramatic life change that might shock her enough to change her attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have MS and thankfully am still able to work full time, albeit often through the fog of fatigue.
    I am aware that it likely won't always be the case, so have made sure to set up a decent pension etc, made other arrangements for worst case scenario down the line.

Cash clearly has aspirations and is fighting for something better. Lacking education and coming from a culture where victimhood is enshrined, she's doing this the only way she knows how, by shouting and screaming about her rights and entitlements.

She's the product of a system that has for a couple of generations now sought to make problems go away, at least in the short term, by throwing money at them.

There's little or no long term thinking in this country, no leadership, no hard decisions to create a better future, just soft options, right here, right now and to hell with the consequences. It's not unique to welfare, look across the public service and the various pay deals and general waste, look at the failure to invest in infrastructure and the repeated abandonment of game changing projects in favour of half assed alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

alias no.9 wrote: »
    There's little or no long term thinking in this country, no leadership, no hard decisions to create a better future, just soft options, right here, right now and to hell with the consequences. It's not unique to welfare, look across the public service and the various pay deals and general waste, look at the failure to invest in infrastructure and the repeated abandonment of game changing projects in favour of half assed alternatives.

Well said.

Seems politicians main concerns are managing things in such a way they will survive the next elections. Rather than focusing on actually making things better overall in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The irony of the fact is the Cash is part of the reason there is a homeless crisis at minute too

But blame someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Certainly a great example of the entitlement culture

Left school at 12, married at 15, first kid at 17/18, 7 kids by 28
    Never worked a day in her life
    Totally dependent on welfare
    39 convictions
    Yet the government are robbing her by not providing her with her home forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

KrustyUCC wrote: »

39 convictions

And even if she wanted a job she is unemployable at this stage. That’s the welfare state for you.

Can't disagree with your statement

Even if she wanted a job and then subsequently got one, her job would want to be worth bout €90,000 to get what she currently receives in welfare

Yet poor old Margaret and many of her supporters see her as a victim

They even explain away her theft from Penneys

Sure she stole to put clothes on the childrens backs

Any mother would do the same lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Can't disagree with your statement

Even if she wanted a job and then subsequently got one, her job would want to be worth bout €90,000 to get what she currently receives in welfare

Yet poor old Margaret and many of her supporters see her as a victim

They even explain away her theft from Penneys

Sure she stole to put clothes on the childrens backs

Any mother would do the same lol

She costs the state around the same as employing two nurses. That's leaving out the cost of her "free" legal aid for her crime sprees, the cost of incarcerating her husband, and the future cost of supporting her children, if they follow in her footsteps.
    Imagine all the good those two nurses would do (not to mention the income tax they would pay). The social welfare system badly needs to be overhauled to cut out these lifelong spongers.

39 convictions

sounds like a culture we need to be protecting and preserving indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great bunch of lads them travellers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Great bunch of lads them travellers....

Careful now before you're branded a racist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Effects wrote: »
    That goes on no matter what level you're at.

I know an accountant that takes payment in cash so you save the vat on his fee.

I know a solicitor that does the same. He's got a lovely boat that he sails.

I know a civil servant that scams an extra allowance of €150 per month from her department for an expense that's already covered by her department in a separate payment to her, "everyone does it".

I've a friend who rents out his house but tenants pay separately. He claims it under the rent a room scheme so avoids tax on the first €14,000.

Sounds like a nice story but unfortunately one can't claim rent-a-room relief if your income from renting is over 14,000.

It is not on the "first 14,000". It is only open to those with rental income of less than that amount. 14,001 and you can't avail of it.

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    She costs the state around the same as employing two nurses. That's leaving out the cost of her "free" legal aid for her crime sprees, the cost of incarcerating her husband, and the future cost of supporting her children, if they follow in her footsteps.
    Imagine all the good those two nurses would do (not to mention the income tax they would pay). The social welfare system badly needs to be overhauled to cut out these lifelong spongers.

Yet the gubberment is robbing here even though she can't say how
    van_beano wrote: »
    The Niall Boylan interviews was my favourite

https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/1047526900242022401?s=21

I wish they'd rob me the way they're robbing her for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Careful now before you're branded a racist...

Don't they all have lovely bottoms.....

I wish they'd rob me the way they're robbing her for a change.

If everybody was robbed the same way poor Maragaret is Ireland would be bankrupt

If everybody was robbed the same way poor Maragaret is Ireland would be bankrupt

That's the trouble - those of us who go out and work have to pay for the likes of Margaret. Imagine the amount of hours you or I work to keep her in the style she's accustomed? I couldn't afford 8 kids, because I have to pay for hers as well as my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I wonder if a day can go by where someone won’t try knock people who are social welfare for genuine reasons. :rolleyes:

As someone who is, I can assure you I’m not living a life of luxury. Half the time I have to choose between new clothes I need or food. I envy anyone capable of work and I strive to find a job I can do with the bull**** I’m dealt re headaches, depression etc. But every time I’ve applied for a job and sat an interview I get a rejection and then feel more depressed :pac:

If the state wasnt spending so much of its revenue on the parasites like Ms. Cash et al. , it might be able to afford better supports and measures for those who genuinely need state assistance.

I cant imagine anyone having a problem with that. Hell I'd even suck up a % on my tax, if i knew it was going to provide better services for genuine people.

(Sorry for your troubles BTW)

That's the trouble - those of us who go out and work have to pay for the likes of Margaret. Imagine the amount of hours you or I work to keep her in the style she's accustomed? I couldn't afford 8 kids, because I have to pay for hers as well as my own.

100%

Many I know have had to move huge distances from where they are from and have a support network etc just to afford somewhere to live

Margaret is complaining about a B&B in Drumcondra. It's just not a home forever in Tallaght

Many couples need to carefully think can they afford kids or another one. Others just pop them out no issue

Sure it's worth a bigger home and more welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Not another TV interview today.. Why are the media still giving this woman the time of day? She has to be one of the worst spokespeople for any cause I've ever seen.

44758666_534015893736038_1389950342967328768_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=dd17a0afd3a6c91609b0efa32508859b&oe=5C80301F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Is the garden of remembrance still there?

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    Not another TV interview today.. Why are the media still giving this woman the time of day? She has to be one of the worst spokespeople for any cause I've ever seen.

44758666_534015893736038_1389950342967328768_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=dd17a0afd3a6c91609b0efa32508859b&oe=5C80301F

I'm surprised she is given so much air time because she doesn't fit the hard working homeless that you often hear about.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised she is given so much air time because she doesn't fit the hard working homeless that you often hear about.

Yeah, whoever decided that she's a good poster child is a great example of the dire state of our mental health services

That was some turnout for today’s protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think she's just excited for the next series of Game of Thrones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lovely i reckon more people might vote Peter Casey after watching that

Another edifying contribution from a member of that community

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/man-jailed-for-stealing-money-from-97-year-old-man-in-newmarket/

• What a ****ing scumbag. A 97 year old man ffs. How can these cnuts sleep at night? Waaah they’re an ethnic minority they have it awful hard..
    do they FCUK

What a ****ing scumbag. A 97 year old man ffs. How can these cnuts sleep at night? Waaah they’re an ethnic minority they have it awful hard..
    do they FCUK

103 previous convictions...

Tell me again about this marginalised, deprived, discriminated against ethnic minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ricero wrote: »
    Lovely i reckon more people might vote Peter Casey after watching that

Looks like she's trying to dip into the others one's pocket

• 103 previous convictions...

Tell me again about this marginalised, deprived, discriminated against ethnic minority.

That judge is probably a racist anyway. And the Garda. Oh and the jury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

She has the children with her all the time while working people have their child stuck in creches for maybe ten hours a day.

it would make your blood boil.

tretorn wrote: »
    She has the children with her all the time while working people have their child stuck in creches for maybe ten hours a day.

it would make your blood boil.

In fairness, i wouldnt wish that on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

who is this person and why is there a whole thread devoted to her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Is winter here yet? Apparently it was a-comin' fast :cool:

who is this person and why is there a whole thread devoted to her ?

This is her second thread. She has being in the news in the past few months and draws attention to herself because of her rants and social media us. She's also very topical because of homelessness crisis. Things in the media tends to get discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

In fairness, i wouldnt wish that on anyone

Theres lots of parents though who have only a couple of hours to spend with their children for five days a week. Not everyone would want to be with their children all the time but lots would like shorter working hours and its not possible because of poor enough wages and high creche costs. This also puts people off having another child and MC will probably have three more children by the time she is thirty.

Sometimes I think she has more sense than most people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

An SNA who works in West Dublin said the vast majority of people who get one on one SNAs are non national. The non national children are autistic and wont get services in Poland or Lothuania or Estonia for example. The parents hear through the grapevine that the Irish are a soft touch if you need one on one for a child with a disability. We cant keep going with this and we should be concentrating resources on Irish children.
    Its not right that people are bringing autistic children here for one reason only and thats to get extra resources free of charge. I wont get much if I go to Poland so what's in it for me to have so many Poles here, we need to make things less attractive.
    How much is child benefit in Poland and can you spend your life on welfare there.
    Your SNA friend doesn't know their ass from their elbow. No "one to one SNAs exist any more and aren't no child is automatically given resource hours any more either, no matter what their diagnosis. Any how can someone be a "non national?" They are, according to you Polish nationals.

103 previous convictions...

.....What are we supposed to do with people like that? As a country and society like.

I've made a good few posts arguing we should have better rehabilitation etc etc. in our prisons and I genuinely believe that it would be useful in many cases.

But someone like that....who has so little human decency left in him, what are we supposed to do with people like that? Can't kill him (cause it'd be illegal), can't give him a life sentence for stealing 700 euro (aside from the fact life means what? 7 years? 12 years?)....what do we do?

And, importantly, what do we do with a culture where this is considered acceptable? Where people like these aren't shunned but just accepted.

109 convictions.....

I'm sure there's people out there going : ah but he's a good father, he loves his childers yada yada yada....

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

This is her second thread. She has being in the news in the past few months and draws attention to herself because of her rants and social media us. She's also very topical because of homelessness crisis. Things in the media tends to get discussed.

I must have skipped all media news on her . anyway was just curious

Theres lots of parents though who have only a couple of hours to spend with their children for five days a week. Not everyone would want to be with their children all the time but lots would like shorter working hours and its not possible because of poor enough wages and high creche costs.

Or long commutes to and from Dublin because they can't afford to live near their work. And why can't they afford to live near their work? Cause of scum like MC who are taking up houses for no other reason than 'yeah but I want to live here'

**** off to ballybackarseofnowhere with ya Margaret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Vote Casey no 1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement