Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Go for a drink in a pub when travelers are there, see what you think about it then.

You're a racist nothing wrong with these people.

Sorry Mods I know the page is slow to load now with all of those videos but I am just demonstrating how utterly removed from reality repeated posts are from 2 or 3 posters that haunt all of these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sorry Mods I know the page is slow to load now with all of those videos but I am just demonstrating how utterly removed from reality repeated posts are from 2 or 3 posters that haunt all of these threads.

I have already addressed the points you made with the videos in previous posts:

ANY scumbag can be in a fight traveller or non-traveller.
    I could post lots of videos of non-traveller fights put what would that prove?
    Scumbags fight no matter where they are from.
    I put up a post about the list of murders committed in Ireland for people to trawl through to see how many travellers committed them, as the majority of murders in Ireland are committed by non-travellers.

What you have done by posting those videos is lazy stereotyping.
    Yes, traveller crime might be higher then non-traveller crime.
    But if you compared travellers to non-travellers living in other disadvantaged parts of Ireland would there be that much difference?
    The mentality by the disadvantaged criminal element of both travellers / non-travellers is the same.
    Both use disadvantage as an excuse.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I put up a post about the list of muders committed in Ireland for people to trawl through to see how many travellers committted them, as the majority of murders in Irelnad are committed by non-travellers.

What you have done by posting those videos is lazy sterotyping.
    But if you compared travellers to non-travellers living in other disadvantaged parts of Ireland would there be that much difference?
    The mentality by the criminal element of both travellers / non-ravellers

i dont think there is any "might be" about it.

WARNING: CONTAINS THE USUAL EXCUSES

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

the majority of murders in Irelnad are committed by non-travellers.

Obviously, since the vast, vast majority of people in Ireland are "non-travellers" - if the majority of murders were carried out by travellers, it would be astonishing (and I bet you'd still come on and defend them!).

i dont think there is any "might be" about it.

WARNING: CONTAINS THE USUAL EXCUSES

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.

Quote from you link the bit in bold even I am shocked but I suppose I should not be really should I?

I could post lots of videos of non-traveller fights put what would that prove?
    Scumbags fight no matter where they are from.
    I put up a post about the list of murders committed in Ireland for people to trawl through to see how many travellers committed them, as the majority of murders in Ireland are committed by non-travellers.

What you have done by posting those videos is lazy stereotyping.
    The tactic of you lot on these boards is to call for links I give you 21 one of them and you call it lazy stereotyping.
    You should be on stage with that one.
    The mentality by the disadvantaged criminal element of both travellers / non-travellers is the same.
    Both use disadvantage as an excuse.

ZW3spYq.jpg

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.

Quote from you link the bit in bold even I am shocked but I suppose I should not be really should I?

To me that is obvious - again repeating myself.
    If all the people of claondalkin declared themselves an ethic group tomorrow, what would the crime rate be total population 46,813 (similar to travellers total pop. in the island of Ireland)

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/clondalkin-and-tallaght-amongst-highest-on-burglary-figures-list?category_id=5

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coping-with-disadvantage-1.381661?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-

If all the people of claondalkin declared themselves an ethic group tomorrow, what would the crime rate be total population 46,813 (similar to travellers total pop. in the island of Ireland)

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/clondalkin-and-tallaght-amongst-highest-on-burglary-figures-list?category_id=5

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/coping-with-disadvantage-1.381661?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-
    origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fcoping-with-disadvantage-1.381661.

whataboutery. We all know where the problems lie but the travelers keep insisting it is the country people at fault. They wont accept responsibility for the actions of the group and they sure as hell won't do anything about it. They want country people to solve their problems for them.

• Advertisement

ZW3spYq.jpg

stereotype-clipart-26101456-STEREOTYPE-red-Rubber-Stamp-over-a-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

It is lazy stereotyping how many fights have you seen in Dublin city centre on a weekend?
    How many fights are there in chippers on a weekend?
    Who causes them?

As I said before because the phrase 'settled people' is not used as the headline you refuse to see it.

A scumbag is a scumbag non-traveller or traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

If all the people of claondalkin declared themselves an ethic group tomorrow...

That would be a spurious claim, so...

It is lazy sterotyping how many fights have you seen in dublin city centre on a weekend.
    How many fights are there in chippers on a weekend.

As I said before because the phrase settled people is not used as the headline you refuse to see it.

and we are concerned with the proportion of people that engage in this behaviour. This proportion is much higher for travelers as well as being of a much more dangerous nature. I cant remember the last time i seen a report of a fight between country people where a slash hook was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

[
    It is lazy stereotyping how many fights have you seen in Dublin city centre on a weekend?
    Who causes them?

As I said before because the phrase 'settled people' is not used as the headline you refuse to see it.

Why do you put yourself through this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Four arrested over assault on referee

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1128/1013949-referee-arrests/

Bout time they arrested these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fcoping-with-disadvantage-1.381661.

One can only doff one's hat at blueblackblue's exceptional ability to extract large swodges of 22 carat gold whataboutery from one of his orifices, on demand.

He puts top-notch spoofers like Bertie Ahern, Eamon Dunphy and Bono into the halfpenny place.

• Advertisement

stereotype-clipart-26101456-STEREOTYPE-red-Rubber-Stamp-over-a-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

Who causes them?

Like I explained on a previous thread I have Aspergers Syndrome and the subtleties of communication and interacting with other people is not something that comes naturally to me but I keep working at it but in this little debate, I firmly believe I have owned you.

Your analogy of the people of Clondalkin is beyond stupid and I will admit there are a lot of scummers in Clondalkin but at the same time I work with loads of people from Clondalkin never worked with anyone from that so-called ethnic minority but that is not surprising really like 98% of them do not work.

Like I said I have Aspergers and part of communication is knowing when to shut up and I suspect that 21 Youtube videos might be pushing things a bit and this is nothing personal with you attack the posts, not the poster.

Attacking your posts in this has been easy but now it's time for me to bow out I have made my point and I am learning that I should give other people a chance to speak.

Repeating the same thing over and over again only annoys other posters and I have nothing fresh left to contribute to this thread maybe you should ask yourself the same question.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Like I explained on a previous thread I have Aspergers Syndrome and the subtleties of communication and interacting with other people is not something that comes naturally to me but I keep working at it but in this little debate, I firmly believe I have owned you.

Your analogy of the people of Clondalkin is beyond stupid and I will admit there are a lot of scummers in Clondalkin but at the same time I work with loads of people from Clondalkin never worked with anyone from that so-called ethnic minority but that is not surprising really like 98% of them do not work.

Like I said I have Aspergers and part of communication is knowing when to shut up and I suspect that 21 Youtube videos might be pushing things a bit and this is nothing personal with you attack the posts, not the poster.

Attacking your posts in this has been easy but now it's time for me to bow out I have made my point and I am learning that I should give other people a chance to speak.

Repeating the same thing over and over again only annoys other posters and I have nothing fresh left to contribute to this thread maybe you should ask yourself the same question.:)

I've already told gormdubhgorm that I used to drink in the same pub as them and didn't really see any bother. Told them I do business with them and went to the boxing gym with them many years ago.

My overall experiences with them have been mixed. Some are nothing short of c@nts. Nearly all of them - even the ones that come across as not quite as bad as the others - are up to some sort of scams.

There's good and bad ones. We've established that. It's pointless going around in circles about it. The point here is the societal aspect. Why do they rob, steal, dump rubbish, mug people, spend years on welfare etc?

Because they choose to live a life that's not economically viable and requires subsidy (effectively charity) from the rest of us and we're sick to our teeth of it. It's led to a build up of tension between them and us, and we have the likes of Zampadildo and Tubridy etc who will never have to experience them the same way the rest of us do fuelling the fire with their Liberal codswallop.

I await the normal 'get to know travellers they're actually all really sound' response from the same 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I commend the governments welfare rates etc that are in place for people who GENUINELY need them and for that we are a lucky country.

One of the most generous welfare countries for people who need it.

I don’t blame the government for people taking advantage of it.

I blame the individual.

The government are trying to do the right thing by people who need welfare and shouldn’t be blamed or voted out because spongers take advantage of it.

But you never miss an opportunity to blame the blue shirts or Tory boy or Leo of course.

Right so;
    You blame the individual. Fair enough.
    Now riddle me this; how many people receive welfare and of those how many do you think don't need it and are defrauding the state, i.e. engaging in criminality? Have you stats? If so is it a big enough number that it causes a knock on effect were the squeezed middle are being squeezed? Would things be markedly different for the squeezed middle if these [insert figure] fraudulent welfare recipients were rooted out?

Also, these criminal fraudsters, who is responsible for setting the welfare eligibility criteria? Who is responsible for rooting out fraudsters? Who sets how much they get and the basis under which they get it?
    Now you're right to blame the fraudster but do you seriously think whinging about criminals being criminals will help or are you just pissing against the wind or are you just defending ****ty FG governance as per usual with no stats to back you up what so ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't have political allegiances at all so I'm not a blue shirt. I didn't vote for this Govt either. I have little time for politicians of any hue or colour as my post history will support. You on the other hand seem to lean towards SF judging by your posting history.
    My point still stands that no matter who is in power there are certain people who won't work anyway.
    I asked you if SF had a policy to make people work for a living or is it just another political stunt to garner votes in the next election?

Well you'd be reading into what the mistaken have surmised before you. I can and do criticise bad policy without needing to wave any party's flag. My criticism of FF/FG policy doesn't equate to supporting SF policy does it now?

You made no point related to my comment in any other way but to say I'm a shinner. Your comment means nothing outside of that context, so unless I am Mary Lou or some SF member you made no point. And to be honest, if someone dug up my dead pet rabbit, inserted animatronics and ran him against FG/FF's finest, I'd vote for the f***ing rabbit. Put that in your FG apologist pipe comrade ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now you're right to blame the fraudster but do you seriously think whinging about criminals being criminals will help or are you just pissing against the wind or are you just defending ****ty FG governance as per usual with no stats to back you up what so ever?
    matronics and ran him against FG/FF's finest, I'd vote for the f***ing rabbit. Put that in your FG apologist pipe comrade ;)

Your continuing obsession with FG, and in particular your fascination with Leo, to the extent not just of mentioning him in nearly every post but also of adopting his partner's name as your username, can be quite scary at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well you'd be reading into what the mistaken have surmised before you. I can and do criticise bad policy without needing to wave any party's flag. My criticism of FF/FG policy doesn't equate to supporting SF policy does it now?

You made no point related to my comment in any other way but to say I'm a shinner. Your comment means nothing outside of that context, so unless I am Mary Lou or some SF member you made no point. And to be honest, if someone dug up my dead pet rabbit, inserted animatronics and ran him against FG/FF's finest, I'd vote for the f***ing rabbit. Put that in your FG apologist pipe comrade ;)

Ha ha I've never seen you criticise SF and I just wondered why?
    Let me guess you're a great admirer of their economic policies.

Squatter wrote: »
    One can only doff one's hat at blueblackblue's exceptional ability to extract large swodges of 22 carat gold whataboutery.

Why is it is termed as whataboutery when there is a counter argument to the the common consensus on this thread? Also some on this thread have already openly mentioned thier predujice against travellers.
    How can that be a balanced logical argument with prejudiced people?

But when it agrees with the prevailing view on this thread the same type of arguements are agreed without any question.

I think people need to look at the broader picture and see people as people.

Prejudice leads to negative stereotyping, when tied in with fear it is a lethal combination that can lead to discrimination.

Aside -By the way my username is
    gorm = blue.
    dubhgorm - navy (darkblue)
    It should hypenated or written as gorm is dubhgorm by right no space.

That would be a spurious claim, so...

The reason why I made that comparison is because clondalkin is an economically disadvantaged area with similar population as the travellers as a whole.

Those are the type of areas that should be compared as many are struggling and there are a lot of similarities.
    Marry young.
    Leave school early etc etc.

and we are concerned with the proportion of people that engage in this behaviour. This proportion is much higher for travelers as well as being of a much more dangerous nature. I cant remember the last time i seen a report of a fight between country people where a slash hook was involved.

Why does it have to a slash hook?
    How many times are young fellas stabbing each other in fights these days?

whataboutery. We all know where the problems lie but the travelers keep insisting it is the country people at fault. They wont accept responsibility for the actions of the group and they sure as hell won't do anything about it. They want country people to solve their problems for them.

I already said there is fault at both sides the anti-traveller comments on this thread are on the same level as the anti-settled people comments John Connors has on his twitter page.
    Both as blinkered, both polar views as prejudiced, both as stubborn.

Why do you put yourself through this ?

Because I do not like guff and hysterical prejudice.
    If people from one group do not even make the effort to interact/get to know another group and keep the blinkers on.
    I think that is wrong.
    Travellers are not apples one bad one does not spoil the bunch.
    The same with non-travellers.

I had forgotten about that completely it explains a lot.
    The phrase 'owned you' is something akin to what a 12 year old gamer would use.

No it is not stupid, read my comments about the reasons for the comparison, in the post above.

The 21 videos do not prove a point all it proves that you searched 'traveller fight'. If you searched for other videos with the name traveller just general terms to get Irish non-travellers fighting you can as well.

The 21 videos prove nothing sadly only that you know how to search you tube videos and enjoy monotonous tasks.

This is not a game where you win or lose this is a discussion. It is not a game like the other aspergers experment thread you set up.

I realise empathy is difficult for those with aspergers.
    But of all the groups you should have empathy for it should be the travellers.
    As a misunderstood minority group

quotno-travellersquot-the-racist-sign.jpg?w=469

I could find more items explaining how aspergers kids and people always 'want to win'. And get into fights because of thier emotional difficulties.
    But that would be cruel.

I think you are doing very well at practising to communicate online as it does not have the normal social awkwardness for you.
    All I can say is fair play to you.
    I hope you continue to successfully manage your condition, you are doing very well all things considered.

I hope you continue to successfully manage your condition, you are doing very well all things considered.

Better than 98% of travellers since I working paying taxes not getting state welfare and I have no criminal convictions.

All this considered I have no time for apologists.

Looking at those numbers the travellers are a social and financial disaster for themselves and wider society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ha ha I've never seen you criticise SF and I just wondered why?
    Let me guess you're a great admirer of their economic policies.

It is quite strange, you would expect Leo's partner to be a little more supportive of him than this. Outing himself as a SF supporter is probably a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Better than 98% of travellers since I working paying taxes not getting state welfare and I have no criminal convictions.

All this considered I have no time for apologists.

Looking at those numbers the travellers are a social and financial disaster for themselves and wider society.

I can't believe that she (?) put up that video about aspergers and has the gall to talk about others discrimination?

Here's a video for you, gormdubhgorm where the rules of engagement are laid out at the start. No aul bitin and no aul kickin

https://youtu.be/l28nB_p-0EE

• Advertisement

I can't believe that she (?) put up that video about aspergers and has the gall to talk about others discrimination?

Here's a video for you, gormdubhgorm where the rules of engagement are laid out at the start. No aul bitin and no aul kickin

Kicking and biting lol what are the rules for a traveller wedding or funeral I wonder?:D

Ah well.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Kicking and biting lol what are the rules for a traveller wedding or funeral I wonder?:D

Ah well.:confused:

Under 16's only

Your deliberately taking my post out of context I was saying that the poster in question should have empathy (if possible) as like those with Aspergers the Travellers are an often misunderstood minority group.

Or would the poster only have empathy for a Traveller if they have Aspergers????

:D

Anyway he was was in one thing - I have made my points, whether people want to agree with them or not, or twist my point to suit thier agendas.
    That's up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

...Travellers are an often misunderstood minority group.

Can you please explain what it is that people "misunderstand" about Travellers?

They are a self-segregating group that wants little to do with the settled community. They take their children out of school when they hit puberty so that their children don't become attracted to settled children. Deprived of educational opportunity, many Travellers are barely literate, the majority have no formal qualifications, and this leads naturally to being unable to find work: Traveller unemployment rates are above 80%. They marry almost exclusively within their in-group, with many of their girls walking down the aisle with extended family members at an age when settled girls are in Transition Year or studying for the Leaving. Some Traveller girls are married and pregnant even before they can drive a car, drink, or vote.

Travellers are disproportionately involved in anti-social behavior, crime, and, increasingly, international organized crime. They have a well-deserved reputation for feuding, wrecking pubs and hotels, and terrorizing settled communities. They are currently engaged in a violent gang feud in Drogheda that involves stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. Their own culture can rightly be described as dysfunctional -- rates of domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicide are off the charts in Traveller communities.

And yet you're on here representing them as a "misunderstood minority group."

What exactly are we misunderstanding about Travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hold on, is Leo Varadkars boyfriends name Matt Barrett?

Jesus I only realised that now.

The poster who is called that here and criticizes Leo constantly here, well I feel sorry for them.

That is more creepy than pathetic.

WTF like???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can you please explain what it is that people "misunderstand" about Travellers?

They are a self-segregating group that wants little to do with the settled community. They take their children out of school when they hit puberty so that their children don't become attracted to settled children. Deprived of educational opportunity, many Travellers are barely literate, the majority have no formal qualifications, and this leads naturally to being unable to find work: Traveller unemployment rates are above 80%. They marry almost exclusively within their in-group, with many of their girls walking down the aisle with extended family members at an age when settled girls are in Transition Year or studying for the Leaving. Some Traveller girls are married and pregnant even before they can drive a car, drink, or vote.

Travellers are disproportionately involved in anti-social behavior, crime, and, increasingly, international organized crime. They have a well-deserved reputation for feuding, wrecking pubs and hotels, and terrorizing settled communities. They are currently engaged in a violent gang feud in Drogheda that involves stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. Their own culture can rightly be described as dysfunctional -- rates of domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicide are off the charts in Traveller communities.

And yet you're on here representing them as a "misunderstood minority group."

What exactly are we misunderstanding about Travellers?

Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave. Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

Are irish folk innocent of the crimes you list?

In my years here I have had more serious problems with non-travellers than with travellers. And I mean serious. eg assault. Far more.
    and equal great kindness and help from both groups.

wonder what you would make of the Amish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Graces7 wrote: »
    Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave. Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

In my years here I have had more serious problems with non-travellers than with travellers. And I mean serious. eg assault. Far more.

Totally, completely, unequivocally deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

The amish are a grand bunch of lads. You never hear of them closing down towns due to feuds & the armed response unit having to appear during funerals to avoid violence. Traveller culture has a problem. There is a macho culture there that needs to be addressed from within there own community. It might take some strong women to come together to address it. But will it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Are they seriously being compared to the Amish?

• Advertisement

Your deliberately taking my post out of context I was saying that the poster in question should have empathy (if possible) as like those with Aspergers the Travellers are an often misunderstood minority group.

Or would the poster only have empathy for a Traveller if they have Aspergers????

:D

Anyway he was was in one thing - I have made my points, whether people want to agree with them or not, or twist my point to suit thier agendas.
    That's up to them.

Empathy? you mean like caring about poor mistreated animals or elderly people living in fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's actually gold!!! The Amish literally have the opposite reputation of Travellers. Hard working and non violent. Try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Not sure how often the Amish get raided like this...

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/100k-camper-van-seized-as-cab-raid-halting-site-in-crackdown-on-gangs-suspected-of-involvement-in-burglaries-37577293.html

Surprised to see the Indo actually stating it's part of investigations into Traveller burglary gangs.

Not sure how often the Amish get raided like this...

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/100k-camper-van-seized-as-cab-raid-halting-site-in-crackdown-on-gangs-suspected-of-involvement-in-burglaries-37577293.html

Surprised to see the Indo actually stating it's part of investigations into Traveller burglary gangs.

That’s because people are rejecting the lamestream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Seriously, Graces barking up the wrong barn with that comparison. It's on par with the settled people often dumping their gick in Traveller sites. Too bad we'll get the same old sick and tired excuse when she's challenged on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority.

I'm not suggesting that they should conform to "my ideas." I'm saying that they should conform to the laws of Irish society and the norms of civilized life in the 21st century. Numerous minority groups in the country, including Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians, and others, have integrated well and live peacefully alongside Irish people. Being an alleged "ethnic minority" doesn't excuse the kind of behavior frequently associated with Travellers.
    Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

A child who receives a spotty education through primary level due to constant relocation and shifting around, and then is taken out of school entirely, is unlikely to resume her education later in life -- especially if she marries in her teens and gets pregnant. No surprise then that the last census found only 167 Travellers in the entire country with a third-level qualification.

Education is vitally important to any young person growing up today. Good luck finding a job without even a Junior Cert to your name.

As I noted before, the "settled people do it too" argument doesn't hold much water. Criminality, feuding, violence, and extreme antisocial behavior is far more prevalent in Traveller communities than in settled communities.

As pacifists and conscientious objectors, the Amish avoid all violence, including even verbal expressions of anger. They live within the law and respect non-Amish. The complete opposite of Travellers, in short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They are a different ethnic minority.

Imagine believing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dan1895 wrote: »
    Are they seriously being compared to the Amish?

I have experience of both travellers and Amish. The comparison is ridiculous, deluded, and absolutely absurd. It's a clutch at a straw that missed the mark by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

That is highly disrespectful towards the Amish, who I believe don't consider themselves or aren't considered an "ethnic minority".

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I used to live in an area of Dublin with a population of 10k. Of those 10k there was 35 travellers. My friend who is a garda in the area told me that 95% of the crime and anti social behaviour was caused by the 35 Travellers.
    Wake up and smell the coffee please politicly correct people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »
    Seriously, Graces barking up the wrong barn with that comparison. It's on par with the settled people often dumping their gick in Traveller sites. Too bad we'll get the same old sick and tired excuse when she's challenged on it...

'Tis a fine pool but sur 'tis no barn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement