Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Graces7 wrote: »
    Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave. Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

Are irish folk innocent of the crimes you list?

In my years here I have had more serious problems with non-travellers than with travellers. And I mean serious. eg assault. Far more.
    and equal great kindness and help from both groups.

wonder what you would make of the Amish

Very interesting point. I think there's more than a small degree of merit in what you're saying.

If we're honest, our own (country folk, settled people) way of living at times leaves a lot to be desired. We put our elderly into old folks homes and let them there to live out their last days surrounded by strangers to whom they are nothing more than a job. We spend our entire lives racing around while others get rich off the backs of our hard work and pay taxes to line crooked gardaí and politicians pockets, all the while a stranger (again) raises our kids for us.

Very often the most important things are put in the background.

Maybe there is something we can learn from these people. Maybe they do have some kind of a point.

Its far from ideal and if someone wants to live outside of our system I'm all for it.

You mention Amish folk. There are definitely parallels. Religion and family being so important. Living outside of the mainstream system.

However, they keep themselves to themselves.

And here's where the whole thing collapses on its ar*e. They can fund their own existence. Without resorting to crime or years spent living off the taxpayer. In a day and age with mass production, CNC technology, automation, orbital welding can travellers really do the same with their pots and pans and sharpening shears and chainsaws for farmers?

Some people on here have called for them to integrate into our own society. I would actually be all for them doing the whole 'travelling' thing. But the onus is on them to make it work.

The rest of us owe them nothing. And that's the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority.

A bit of wasting typing time, this being a post from Grace who is pretty obvious in her motives - more pregnant women doing the Church's service, but we *do* have the rule of law in Ireland, and if it were enforced, leaving school early and getting 'married' before 18 could be applied to Travelers as well as any others, to the betterment of all involved.

If a 14 year old ends up pregnant in the US, someone goes to Jail. Should be the same thing in Ireland.

Fortunately with legal, safe abortion now available in Ireland, young women might be able to turn the tide of Traveler abuse on their own. I have hope, anyway. Such brutal society they might not be able to avail themselves of it but we can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Comparing travellers to the Amish is this seasons settled people dumping rubbish in halting sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I can't find any Amish call-out videos on YouTube. Can someone help me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave. Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

In my years here I have had more serious problems with non-travellers than with travellers. And I mean serious. eg assault. Far more.

Well done on such a idiotic post.The final sentence is icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority.

Their ideas persistently impinge on the quality of life of anyone who, not by choice, has dealings with them.

Being a different ethnic minority is no excuse to ignore the old and sensible maxim - 'when in Rome... etc.

Other ethnic minorites can do it, by and large, and they face a much larger culture shock when they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hear they make their own slash hooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

'I call thee out, English'

'Here's a wooden bucket I made, so go sh1te in it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

€100K camper van seized as CAB raid halting site in crackdown on gangs suspected of involvement in burglaries
    Two people were arrested following the searches

Independent.ie can reveal that of the five bays raided at the halting site, all had “brand new top-of-the-range caravans and vans”, even though all the owners are claiming social welfare.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/100k-camper-van-seized-as-cab-raid-halting-site-in-crackdown-on-gangs-suspected-of-involvement-in-burglaries-37577293.html

I'm sure if CAB raided a different halting site every week they would find numerous examples like the one in the article above

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    €100K camper van seized as CAB raid halting site in crackdown on gangs suspected of involvement in burglaries

Independent.ie can reveal that of the five bays raided at the halting site, all had “brand new top-of-the-range caravans and vans”, even though all the owners are claiming social welfare.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/100k-camper-van-seized-as-cab-raid-halting-site-in-crackdown-on-gangs-suspected-of-involvement-in-burglaries-37577293.html

I'm sure if CAB raided a different halting site every week they would find numerous examples like the one in the article above

Que the usual 'all travellers are really sound go out and have a pint with them' suspects like Grace gormdubhgorm and cohorts 😴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they?

That's actually hilarious coming from you, seeing as you are probably the most intolerant person on the whole of Boards to other peoples life choices.

You seem to be under some warped impression that your feelings on how someone lives their life is superior to their own when it comes to "settled" people, so why should it be any different for travellers?
    You are such a hypocrite.

These Travellers all have top-of-the-range caravans and vehicles that the poor fool of a working taxpayer could only dream of owning. A €100,000 camper van? Gardai also seized around £3,500 in cash and a Rolex watch from the site.

It just shows how much we're being taken for a ride when all these Travellers are getting social welfare as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

torres9kop wrote: »
    I used to live in an area of Dublin with a population of 10k. Of those 10k there was 35 travellers. My friend who is a garda in the area told me that 95% of the crime and anti social behaviour was caused by the 35 Travellers.
    Wake up and smell the coffee please politicly correct people.

You can replicate that all over the country and at present birth rates the 35 will become 200 plus very quickly ....all on social welfare train .

Travellers are robbing people who have less than them at this stage !

Would love to see that happen. They could do with bringing some folks from ISPCA to each raid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave.

Your post was overall ridiculous, but I'd like to focus on the bit regarding travellers leaving school.

There was one traveller in my class. He joined in 5th class and going by his size, we all assumed he was older than us. We all got on with him as he was generally a nice guy. He never wanted to learn though. Always in trouble for not doing his homework. Had poor attendance. And when in class, was always looking for reasons to get out. His favourite trick was to break pens so that he had to go and spend the whole class in the bathroom washing ink from his hands. And no, he didn't have constant bad fortune with the integrity of his pens. He left some time in 2nd year and I assume it was when he turned 16.

I didn't stay in contact but I have see him around our town from time to time. He did work though. He spent at least a few years as a janitor/groundskeeper for a local supermarket so he actually paid taxes. He is one of very few positive experiences I've had with travellers. But positive is a relative term here. He is merely one of the better travellers. He disrupted plenty of classes in school that he took from my learning.

He didn't drop out of school because he was treated badly or differently. He dropped out because he didn't want to be there. We were all treated the same. He just chose not to learn because he didn't see the point.

tl;dr Graces7, stop making stuff up. It doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The answer is in the story.
    The Garda seized weapons and took 64 of them to court in fairness.
    The Judge let them off ????

Have to come back to this.
    For every Garda arrest or case brought against a traveller there is many multiples of cases where they do absolutely nothing.
    Frog ward was a case in point where they didn't move on warrants for his arrest for incidents including attacking a garda.
    Why is it telling? The non-travellers are the larger majority so they are the ones the position of power, government, media etc etc.
    The as a result of this superior level of influence the onus should be on non-travellers.
    I can give you many reasons.

Get to know them and take away your fear factor which is implied in your second sentence, for a start.
    Then you can gradually change mindsets on both sides through the natural course of interaction and sharing postive aspects of culture.

Also if settled people/non-travellers got to know travellers better the law abiding travellers can be differeniatited from the criminal element.
    Plus then the law abiding travellers would be more inclined to help the policing of the criminal element as more trust develops.

Plus as the travellers get more integrated and accepted by the larger Irish community it will lead to the travellers realising the value of education so there will be less disadvantaged/and/or criminal elements in the traveller community as a result.

Jaysus you do talk some shyte.

Your whole argument and excusitory shyte boils down to
    "It is always someone elses fault".

They aren't fooking kids you know, they are grown adults.
    Thus they are responsible for their own actions.
    I know, that concept responsibility is probably alien to your type.

BTW are you by any chance related to that American lad that decided to go visit some Indian islands recently ? :rolleyes:

You have the same mindset.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    Comparing travellers to the Amish is this seasons settled people dumping rubbish in halting sites.

Well do they both ride on horse powered traps/sulkies/wagons.
    Although I don't think Harrison Ford has made any movies about staying on a traveller halting site.

And this was the same guy that they previously seized a load of money from and had been involved in welfare fraud. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

baldbear wrote: »
    The amish are a grand bunch of lads. You never hear of them closing down towns due to feuds & the armed response unit having to appear during funerals to avoid violence. Traveller culture has a problem. There is a macho culture there that needs to be addressed from within there own community. It might take some strong women to come together to address it. But will it happen?

If travellers lived like the amish, I would have zero objection to their chosen lifestyle, the amish have outdated customs but they don't live off other people, travellers want to be different but want us to pay for it.

Sod that for a game of soldiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    If travellers lived like the amish, I would have zero objection to their chosen lifestyle, the amish have outdated customs but they don't live off other people, travellers want to be different but want us to pay for it.

We actually have some Amish here in Ireland. They live down in Wexford I think. They were on the radio last year.

Needless to say their spokesman described no racism against them, advanced no need for legal special status and sought nothing from Irish society but the freedom to follow their own way of life in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Mad_maxx wrote: »

This is the thing. If a bunch of Amish moved into some area down the country, people would be suspicious at first but once they realised that they weren't being robbed, they would have no problem with them. People just don't like anti-social behaviour and theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

People just don't like anti-social behaviour and theft.

They will just have to get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Breaking news.....

The Indo called them "Traveller Gangs" in the article quoted above.

"GARDAI have seized a €100,000 camper van and two other vehicles in a crackdown on Traveller gangs suspected of being involved in organised burglaries and handling stolen property."

Progress, a chink of honest light coming into the media at last maybe!

Breaking news.....

"GARDAI have seized a €100,000 camper van and two other vehicles in a crackdown on Traveller gangs suspected of being involved in organised burglaries and handling stolen property."

There'll be a racism claim from Pavee Point at any moment, and the article will be changed.

There'll be a racism claim from Pavee Point at any moment, and the article will be changed.

Let's see. They want Traveller Ethnic Status, so let's call them what they want to be classified as.

Anyway it doesn't matter now, the genie has escaped from the bottle.

But I reckon the Irish Liberal Times will still call them "crime gangs".

Let's see. They want Traveller Ethnic Status, so let's call them what they want to be classified as.

Or, "Crime Gangs Who Are Only Criminals Because They Are Victims Of Terrible, Terrible Racism From The Settled Community"

I took up boxing, partly because of how me and my friends were being treated by these people in school. Thankfully I didn't need to use it. By the time I was any good they were long gone.

We 'treated' them fine. Nothing actually. We just nothinged with them. In fact, teachers bent over backwards with them. Would go over the same stuff over and over again long after the rest of us had gotten it just for their benefit or cover the exact same thing that they missed the previous day(s) because they were by the way out sick.

On the other hand they spent their time being disruptive, stealing sh1t, bumming cigarettes and starting fights with the biggest pu**ies they could find. Rarely if ever did I see one pick on someone who wasn't afraid of them.

I imagine I speak for most people on here when I say our parents would have left hell freeze over first if we had come home in the evening and said we were leaving because of the way we were being treated by the travellers in the class.

Quite a bizarre argument you're making. And if we're honest shows really how much real life experience you have in dealing with them.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/criminal-assets-bureau-seizes-vehicles-worth-130-000-in-raids-1.3713180

Anyone fancy playing Crime Family or Traveller Family? Since the media won't report which it is. The link is the most detailed article I could find on it.
    Breaking news.....

:D

Who else would be living in a €100,000 camper van with STG £3,500 in cash and a Rolex watch under the mattress?

Everyone will still know who we're talking about!

Who else would be living in a €100,000 camper van with STG £3,500 in cash and a Rolex watch under the mattress?

Everyone will still know who we're talking about!

I know.

But up to the Indo article these people were never identified as Traveller Gangs.

I don't understand the censorship of their status myself, since it is what they actually wanted. But the media has decided not to mention Travellers, when the world and its mother knows who and what they are.

Wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't been granted Ethnic Status, then I would say OK we are all equal. But we are not, either as victims of Travellers or as recipients of information about their shenanigans either.

They are Travellers. If they happen to be criminals, well we are doing them a disservice by not identifying them according to their ethnic status. That would be discrimination!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hear they make their own slash hooks.
    They throw bullets at each other.

No fancy modern 'gun of the hand' allowed in Amish gang feuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

There's the IT story....not a mention of the words 'Traveller' or 'halting site'
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/criminal-assets-bureau-seizes-vehicles-worth-130-000-in-raids-1.3713180

And The Journal haven't updated yesterday's initial story on the raid which had no mention of the ethnic minority. Which is odd for them as all they really do is recycle old stories every few hours with updates
    https://www.thejournal.ie/cab-raids-dublin-4364095-Nov2018/

And that folks, is the mainstream media in Ireland. Who we're supposed to be thankful for and may even eventually end up subsidising through our taxes in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Haven't read the whole thread but is this the same woman who appeared on Prime Time? Also 300 euro worth of clothes from Pennys, did she reverse a truck in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I thought this was a Margaret Cash bashing thread(justified to be fair)

Are there not enough Traveler bashing threads on here ?

What’s the crack mods?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

jay0109 wrote: »
    There's the IT story....not a mention of the words 'Traveller' or 'halting site'

An utter disgrace. Media censorship at its finest.

Fair play to the Independent for using the T-word and pointing out that these criminal gangs are claiming social welfare while living in or driving luxury vehicles worth hundreds of thousands.

The Irish people deserve to know the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

An utter disgrace. Media censorship at its finest.

Fair play to the Independent for using the T-word and pointing out that these criminal gangs are claiming social welfare while living in or driving luxury vehicles worth hundreds of thousands.

The Irish people deserve to know the truth.

Seems those two papers have done a flip of some kind.

IT is just a low-grade propaganda pamphlet now. Its paper-of-record history is long behind it.

The Ind, in amongst the frivolous dross, is still making some attempt at least to report news in cold terms.

MC mainly but she is a traveller after all so the 2 are connected. Seems to be just this one and the Peter Casey one which has since died that are on the topic of travellers.
    topper75 wrote: »
    IT is just a low-grade propaganda pamphlet now. Its paper-of-record history is long behind it.

The Ind, in amongst the frivolous dross, is still making some attempt at least to report news in cold terms.

IT was always a pile of scour. Indo should take your review for their next marketing campaign though; You came for Ian O' Doherty, now stay for our attempt to report the news in cold terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

MC mainly but she is a traveller after all so the 2 are connected. Seems to be just this one and the Peter Casey one which has since died that are on the topic of travellers.

Not the way I see it but fair enough.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Not the way I see it but fair enough.

The topic of the thread or the amount of traveller threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Was the Camper Van the home the person was removed from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What’s the crack mods?

Translation the truth is coming out and the majority have woken up.

Nobody is forcing you to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

"Independent.ie can reveal that of the five bays raided at the halting site, all had “brand new top-of-the-range caravans and vans”, even though all the owners are claiming social welfare."

We are being taken for mugs.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    "Independent.ie can reveal that of the five bays raided at the halting site, all had “brand new top-of-the-range caravans and vans”, even though all the owners are claiming social welfare."

I suppose End of the Road will be along to tell us all it is our responsibility to pay them welfare so their kids don’t go hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Floppybits wrote: »

That is patently clear.

The question is why do some do-gooders want a veil around that?

Another question I'd like answered is how many halting sites are being looked into by CAB? And for what reasons. If more than 1 or 2 start throwing up similar hauls of illegal goods and showing the occupants as welfare frauds, what then?

EDIT: I realise CAB can't release this info ahead of raids taking place but wouldn't it be nice to know.

Another question I'd like answered is how many halting sites are being looked into by CAB? And for what reasons. If more than 1 or 2 start throwing up similar hauls of illegal goods and showing the occupants as welfare frauds, what then?

That is what the race card and the libtard media is for.
    And we have posters crying here not more traveler bashing.

Think the majority of people have had enough of that ****e.

Translation the truth is coming out and the majority have woken up.

In the past few months we've had Margaret "De gubbermint is robbing me!" Cash pulling publicity stunts with her seven children before racking up her 39th criminal conviction. We've had Travellers refusing six homes built for them in Tipperary at a cost of €1.7 million to the taxpayer because they didn't come with stables and six acres of land for horses. We've seen numerous additional policing resources required in Drogheda because of a feud involving stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. And now we have Travellers living in €100,000 camper vans while claiming social welfare.

The spin machine must be working overtime in RTE and Pavee Point trying to deflect and cover up all of this.

It's clear that "ethnic minority status" has only made the situation much worse, because Travellers now feel that they have immunity from criticism.

EDIT: I realise CAB can't release this info ahead of raids taking place but wouldn't it be nice to know.

It should be all of them

Nothing will happen

After a storm last year travellers from the Carrigrohane straight halting site were put up in the 4* Kingsley hotel

Storm damage sees Traveller families housed in top 4 star hotel

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/storm-damage-sees-traveller-families-housed-in-top-4-star-hotel-823416.html

They eventually got kicked out thanks to anti social behaviour

Cork City Council 'treating us like dogs' say homeless Travellers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-city-council-treating-us-like-dogs-say-homeless-travellers-465999.html

It was an open secret that some of the families had 172 or 181 cars which they would leave on the halting site rather than park in the Kingsley

Those same individuals were drawing the dole as they caused a lot of hassle on dole day in the residents bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The reason why I made that comparison is because clondalkin is an economically disadvantaged area with similar population as the travellers as a whole.

Those are the type of areas that should be compared as many are struggling and there are a lot of similarities.
    Marry young.
    Leave school early etc etc.

I'd agree with this.
    Anti-social/scummy behaviour can be traced back to many issues but and I'll add a few from my POV:
    • Lack of education (leaving school early due to early marriage or getting pregnant etc.) or little value placed on education (potentially uneducated parents?)
    • Lack of attention/responsibilty from parents or outright neglect (large families may be part of this?)
    • Lack of good/positive role models
    • Living environment/peer pressure/ridicule (getting in with the wrong crowd)
    • Many more..

The problem I have is that Traveller culture actually exacerbates many of these issues to a massive degree.
    Is that something we can agree with?
    I could list aspects of Traveller culture against all the points above but I assume most can join the dots.

And there are definitely similarities between the above and disadvantaged areas 100%

In the past few months we've had Margaret "De gubbermint is robbing me!" Cash pulling publicity stunts with her seven children before racking up her 39th criminal conviction. We've had Travellers refusing six homes built for them in Tipperary at a cost of €1.7 million to the taxpayer because they didn't come with stables and six acres of land for horses. We've seen numerous additional policing resources required in Drogheda because of a feud involving stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. And now we have Travellers living in €100,000 camper vans while claiming social welfare.

The spin machine must be working overtime in RTE and Pavee Point trying to deflect and cover up all of this.

It's clear that "ethnic minority status" has only made the situation much worse, because Travellers now feel that they have immunity from criticism.

And wait until the scandal of the €1,000,000 traveller council house down in Kerry comes to light.....

And wait until the scandal of the €1,000,000 traveller council house down in Kerry comes to light.....

A million euro :eek:

That story will be fun

• Advertisement

A million euro :eek:

That story will be fun

From what I'm hearing, it will make the lads in Tipperary look like saints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement