Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Very enlightening. You just don't hear about these stories unless you go looking for them.

"We just want stable homes"
    :confused:

We are a country of soft-headed idiots.

No wonder the tinkers think we're all fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Gravelly wrote: »

Fools is too soft, they see us a F*****G Idiots who are there to be ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I suppose End of the Road will be along to tell us all it is our responsibility to pay them welfare so their kids don’t go hungry.

Nope. wrong. proof. travellers are amish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very enlightening. You just don't hear about these stories unless you go looking for them.

"We just want stable homes"
    :confused:

It was a big story locally and my cousin worked in the Kingsley

The travellers were well able to play the 'racist' card when they didn't get their way

• Advertisement

From what I'm hearing, it will make the lads in Tipperary look like saints.

Christ that will be some story :mad::mad::mad:

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Christ that will be some story :mad::mad::mad:

It will be if it gets out - tight wraps being kept on it.

Stories like that will get out eventually

"Our heads are all soft and innocent. The innocence never left our heads." Ha I think I've literally heard that on a call-out video! Hang on, I'll see if I can find it...

Ah it's on the classic Sh1te In A Bucket video. Firstly at 0:25 and then again at 1:38. Amazing.

Omackeral wrote: »
    "Our heads are all soft and innocent. The innocence never left our heads." Ha I think I've literally heard that on a call-out video! Hang on, I'll see if I can find it...

Ah it's on the classic Sh1te In A Bucket video. Firstly at 0:25 and then again at 1:38. Amazing.

****e in a bucket never gets old. Pure poetry.

• Advertisement

****e in a bucket never gets old. Pure poetry.

I think you're gonna enjoy the remix.

:D:D:D

Class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Strike up a conversation with even a liberal pole and see what they think of how we mollycoddle travellers, polish ( big bodybuilding frame) guy I know works in lidl, he takes zero sh1t from the travellers who send their kids in to lift and even less from the parents who try and deny what was staring pavel in the face.

The Eastern Europeans are a brutally Frank bunch but it's exactly what is required here

An utter disgrace. Media censorship at its finest.

Fair play to the Independent for using the T-word and pointing out that these criminal gangs are claiming social welfare while living in or driving luxury vehicles worth hundreds of thousands.

The Irish people deserve to know the truth.

While a poor publication, the indo is well to the right of Ireland,s version of the guardian

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Strike up a conversation with even a liberal pole and see what they think of how we millycoddle travellers, polish ( big bodybuilding frame) guy I know works in lidl, he takes zero sh1t from the travellers who send their kids in to lift and even less from the parents who try and deny what was staring pavel in the face.

The Eastern Europeans are a brutally Frank bunch but it's exactly what is required here

Yeah, I've a Polish acquaintance who has mentioned the whole traveller thing to me many times. He struggles to understand how we let them get away with the whole schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I heard a group of Travellers who are camped/halted out Dublin Airport way are seeking 6 figure sums to move on so that we, as a country, via the taxpayer can build a new runway. You know, to improve our connectivity and our economy.

You have to hand it to them. They see a weak spot in the National Governmental/NGO psyche, and milk it for all it's worth. No one will say feck off at all, take it to the courts. Oh no.

But sure they don't care, they just drive their jeeps and camper vans and rarely use airports going back and forth between UK and here. I have often wondered how the heck they got visas to Australia to wreak havoc over there also. I hope they are on a blacklist by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah, I've a Polish acquaintance who has mentioned the whole traveller thing to me many times. He struggles to understand how we let them get away with the whole schtick.

Bought a car off a pole several months ago, very interesting man, well educated professional, told me how his grandad was a card carrying communist but how he himself was a social democrat who was firmly on the left here.

He would be considered an extreme right winger by the Irish media however when it comes to travellers, he believed they should be forced to assimilate as that is what happened in Poland post WW2, Poland had a huge gypsy population but under communism, that kind of difference is viewed as subversive, I'm no commie and if travellers behaved like the amish, I'd say let them take their kids out of school, marry their own kind and live separately but that doesn't happen, traveller culture is a dependent one in complete totality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I heard a group of Travellers who are camped/halted out Dublin Airport way are seeking 6 figure sums to move on so that we, as a country, via the taxpayer can build a new runway. You know, to improve our connectivity and our economy.

You have to hand it to them. They see a weak spot in the National Governmental/NGO psyche, and milk it for all it's worth. No one will say feck off at all, take it to the courts. Oh no.

The good news, Traveller story is that some of these families are moving, there is an article in yesterday's Sun, maybe someone can put up a link, to cheer people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I thought this was a Margaret Cash bashing thread(justified to be fair)

Are there not enough Traveler bashing threads on here ?

What’s the crack mods?

Well at least the bashing around these parts doesn't involve slashhooks, axe handles, basebakll bats or the latest golf clubs. :rolleyes:
    I suppose End of the Road will be along to tell us all it is our responsibility to pay them welfare so their kids don’t go hungry.

The best thing I ever did was put that poster on ignore.
    In the past few months we've had Margaret "De gubbermint is robbing me!" Cash pulling publicity stunts with her seven children before racking up her 39th criminal conviction. We've had Travellers refusing six homes built for them in Tipperary at a cost of €1.7 million to the taxpayer because they didn't come with stables and six acres of land for horses. We've seen numerous additional policing resources required in Drogheda because of a feud involving stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. And now we have Travellers living in €100,000 camper vans while claiming social welfare.

The spin machine must be working overtime in RTE and Pavee Point trying to deflect and cover up all of this.

It's clear that "ethnic minority status" has only made the situation much worse, because Travellers now feel that they have immunity from criticism.

Ehh you forgot beating the cr** out of an amateur soccer referee in a car park after a match.
    But they are sorry now, they probably found better use for the golf club.

Anyway according to the likes of blueblackblue it is probably the fault of the referee for now engaging with them enough. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh you forgot beating the cr** out of an amateur soccer referee in a car park after a match.

Yup, forgot that one.

It's getting hard to keep track.

And we haven't even got to the Christmas festivities in Rathkeale yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ha ha I've never seen you criticise SF and I just wondered why?
    Let me guess you're a great admirer of their economic policies.

Because SF aren't in government.
    To give full disclosure I'd take a Sinn Feiner over a Me Feiner any day ;)

You'd be as well off slagging the Greens.

When called out about making no point other than inferring someone is a shinner, call them a shinner again. A bit like supporting FF/FG over and over with the same results but still finding the time to point at parties never made one policy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hold on, is Leo Varadkars boyfriends name Matt Barrett?

Jesus I only realised that now.

The poster who is called that here and criticizes Leo constantly here, well I feel sorry for them.

That is more creepy than pathetic.

WTF like???

So you're just going to dodge being called out on all your sh*te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Yup, forgot that one.

There was a pre Christmas friendly in the Long Mile Inn last week

The good news, Traveller story is that some of these families are moving, there is an article in yesterday's Sun, maybe someone can put up a link, to cheer people up.

They must have been paid something. But they were supposed to go to Coolquay in North Co. Dublin instead or something. I bet the residents of that quiet backwater are absolutely thrilled they have been diverted to a private development in Swords. Wonder what the purchasers in that development think now.

The halting site Travellers could have applied for council housing at any time, but no, they waited until the optimum time. Have to give them credit for being wily all the same.

Thanks for heads up. Just googled it.....

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3445561/travellers-swanky-new-home-moved-dublin-airport-runway/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

What about these entrepreneurs...
    A man has pleaded guilty to blackmailing the boss of a brewery after a group of Travellers set up camp on its premises.

Thomas Ward (43) admitted demanding £20,000 (€22,455) from Thwaites Brewery chief executive officer Richard Bailey with menaces in May this year.

Ahead of a scheduled trial at Preston Crown Court on Monday, Ward, of Aspull Common, Leigh, also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle Thwaites Brewery in Blackburn, Lancashire, and conspiracy to commit criminal damage...

More than £200,000 (€224,559) worth of damage is estimated to have been caused to the brewery when a group of around 100 members of the Travelling community set up camp over the bank holiday weekend.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/man-admits-blackmail-bid-over-travellers-camp-at-brewery-37543377.html

Some charming background info to this...
    UK brewery Thwaites has been left with £100,000 worth of damage and been forced to pour 1,700 pints of beer down the drain after a 100-strong group of travellers invaded its premise, smashed windows and urinated in its offices.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/05/travellers-cause-100k-worth-of-damage-at-brewery/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

So you're just going to dodge being called out on all your sh*te?

Sh!te in the bucket

https://youtu.be/GCLySA7V2SA

The UK media have no qualms about calling them Travellers. Refreshing to see that. Perhaps it's because they do not have Ethnic Status is UK or something?

That's a contradiction in itself anyway, because they WANT and HAVE ethnic status here, so they should be called what they demanded to be classified as surely?

Enda Kenny left a dish best served cold all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The UK media have no qualms about calling them Travellers. Refreshing to see that. Perhaps it's because they do not have Ethnic Status is UK or something?

That's a contradiction in itself anyway, because they WANT and HAVE ethnic status here, so they should be called what they demanded to be classified as surely?

Enda Kenny left a dish best served cold all the same.

I think they have their own category of 'Irish Traveller' in the UK census.

• Advertisement

Well I doubt many of them complete the census either here or in UK TBH.

Those that do are probably settled and law abiding. ( the 30k we know about here...)

The rest of them will head off when the enumerator is due to call. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Your post was overall ridiculous, but I'd like to focus on the bit regarding travellers leaving school.

There was one traveller in my class. He joined in 5th class and going by his size, we all assumed he was older than us. We all got on with him as he was generally a nice guy. He never wanted to learn though. Always in trouble for not doing his homework. Had poor attendance. And when in class, was always looking for reasons to get out. His favourite trick was to break pens so that he had to go and spend the whole class in the bathroom washing ink from his hands. And no, he didn't have constant bad fortune with the integrity of his pens. He left some time in 2nd year and I assume it was when he turned 16.

I didn't stay in contact but I have see him around our town from time to time. He did work though. He spent at least a few years as a janitor/groundskeeper for a local supermarket so he actually paid taxes. He is one of very few positive experiences I've had with travellers. But positive is a relative term here. He is merely one of the better travellers. He disrupted plenty of classes in school that he took from my learning.

He didn't drop out of school because he was treated badly or differently. He dropped out because he didn't want to be there. We were all treated the same. He just chose not to learn because he didn't see the point.

tl;dr Graces7, stop making stuff up. It doesn't work.

I get your point here, but genuinely when I read that I feel sorry for that young lad.

He was turning up for school so there must have been something inside that wanted to learn. But at the same time he probably wasn't encouraged one bit at home to do his homework and therefore fell behind.

The reason he was always trying to get out of class could well have been that he was terrified he was going to be asked a question or asked to read and he wasn't able.

My heart goes out to any child in that situation.

Something definitely has to change because anyone born into the traveller lifestyle really doesn't stand a chance until the mindset of the parents are changed.

There are plenty of exceptions, I personally know some really nice settled travellers but they have taken a conscious decision to remove themselves from the lifestyle.

Hopefully more will do this over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They had Irish Traveller as an ethnicity before we did

They must have been paid something. But they were supposed to go to Coolquay in North Co. Dublin instead or something. I bet the residents of that quiet backwater are absolutely thrilled they have been diverted to a private development in Swords. Wonder what the purchasers in that development think now.

The halting site Travellers could have applied for council housing at any time, but no, they waited until the optimum time. Have to give them credit for being wily all the same.

Thanks for heads up. Just googled it.....

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3445561/travellers-swanky-new-home-moved-dublin-airport-runway/

Is this the standard of article we're admiring now?

Calling a house a gaff?

Goes to show you who the sun are catering too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Translation the truth is coming out and the majority have woken up.

Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Thanks for that, very insightful.
    I just asked a question and just like I don’t have to read this thread you don’t have to answer my post.
    So jog on there like a good lad.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

They had Irish Traveller as an ethnicity before we did

As if anyone in a mobile caravan attached to a top of the range vehicle would stay to be monitored by a rep of the State. Either here or there. Come on now.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »

Calling a house a gaff?

The real truth comes out in these tabloid red tops. That is where the real news is now. The rest of them are totally lefty liberal and will not say anything.

But everyone knows it.

But of course no one would ever admit to reading anything like the Sun. However, reading other media is not telling us anything anyway. So go figure.

The real truth comes out in these tabloid red tops. That is where the real news is now. The rest of them are totally lefty liberal and will not say anything.

But everyone knows it.

But of course no one would ever admit to reading anything like the Sun. However, reading other media is not telling us anything anyway. So go figure.

No, sorry. I won't admit to reading it because I don't, can't bear to read something that isn't written in proper English.

It's actually treating it's readers like idiots by saying "this is the way you speak". Disgusting.

I won't fall for the "but we tell the truth" bull****. You can tell the truth in proper English too.

No, sorry. I won't admit to reading it because I don't, can't bear to read something that isn't written in proper English.

It's actually treating it's readers like idiots by saying "this is the way you speak". Disgusting.

I won't fall for the "but we tell the truth" bull****. You can tell the truth in proper English too.

You may have perhaps missed my point. The three big media, Examiner, Times and Indo couch everything in innuendo. The tabloids say it as it is.

With pictures and all lol. Amazing!

Anyway, got to go and see Anto and Git for a pint. See ya later. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Thanks for that, very insightful.
    I just asked a question and just like I don’t have to read this thread you don’t have to answer my post.
    So jog on there like a good lad.

The left showing their true colors you are not a moderator here and you can not silence me or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Anyone doing the Christian thing and inviting Mags and kids over for Christmas day?

• Advertisement

The left showing their true colors you are not a moderator here and you can not silence me or anyone else.

I wouldn’t dare attempt to silence anyone, especially you CinemaGay.
    Anyway, silencing an echo chamber full of trolls is no mean feat, init, boss.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Calling a house a gaff?

Talk about attacking the messenger!!

Talk about attacking the messanger!!

Nope, not attacking the messenger either. Just the irony of people suddenly admiring rags like the sun. I think it's hilarious.

Talk about attacking the messanger!!

Feel free to report my post all the same Roger since you still have a bee in your bonnet obviously. :rolleyes:

Edgware wrote: »
    Anyone doing the Christian thing and inviting Mags and kids over for Christmas day?

About four or five posters here I am sure they practice what they preach.

This is not a pleasant topic but the nation needs to grow up and deal with it.
    I honestly don’t understand what people trying to shut us all up hope to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nope, not attacking the messenger either. Just the irony of people suddenly admiring rags like the sun. I think it's hilarious.

Since when did quoting a rag of a newspaper become admiration for said rag.

The rag even had quotes from the travellers! Pure Pulitzer stuff.

About four or five posters here I am sure they practice what they preach.

This is not a pleasant topic but the nation needs to grow up and deal with it.
    I honestly don’t understand what people trying to shut us all up hope to achieve.

Are you a spokesperson or something. All hail CinemaGay, he shall not be silenced.

Are you a spokesperson or something. All hail CinemaGay, he shall not be silenced.

Not going to get dragged into your sideshow you want this thread closed and boards have seen fit to keep it open deal with it.

I am greatful to boards.ie for letting us have this long overdue conversation that a few seem desperate to shut down or drag off topic.

Not going to get dragged into your sideshow you want this thread closed and boards have seen fit to keep it open deal with it.

I am greatful to boards.ie for letting us have this long overdue conversation that a few seem desperate to shut down or drag off topic.

Good for you, well done MR. Spokesperson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yup, forgot that one.

That should be interesting this year as they may feel they owe the natives, who had the temerity to vote for Casey, a lesson in what can happen to your town/village.

PS BBFAN can probably fill us all in on what temerity means.

BTW I have a new measure in whether to bother engaging with some posters.
    If their posts are thanked by a certain poster, who is lurking in these parts at the moment, then they are not worth responding to as the content is of the type that people often appear to dump in halting sites. ;)

Edgware wrote: »

I am sure there are a some posters here who are continously admonishing us for not engaging with our ethnic minority fellow citizens, who would be more than happy to oblige said woman and her family on Christmas day.
    Talk about attacking the messenger!!

Well if you can't attack the message. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement