Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are you a spokesperson or something. All hail CinemaGay, he shall not be silenced.

Mod: Don't post here again.

Edit, revoked after discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Personally I would not like Travellers living near me. Or anywhere near me. EVER.

Deal with that, and invite them into your own homes or on to your land if you do not agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Personally I would not like Travellers living near me. Or anywhere near me. EVER.

Deal with that, and invite them into your own homes or on to your land if you do not agree.

Would you mind having Travellers living near you if they were decent people, who behaved well and didn't cause anyone any harm or inconvenience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would you mind having Travellers living near you if they were decent people, who behaved well and didn't cause anyone any harm or inconvenience?

Yes I would actually.

They have not convinced me that they as a group are law abiding. They have knuckle dragging relatives off site from their homes that can be called upon in an instant.

I know this. I gave leeway, but never again. The ethnicity will out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Was it racing gear she stole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The highlighted bit of your post in the crux of the whole thing behaviour.

I live next to people from another continent I work with people from Africa Poland Asia and even Cork:D and I have good friendly relations with them all because they are decent people.

I think living next to decent people is what most people want and the main metric for judging that is behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That linn ruane wan currently on RTÉ. Came across dreadfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

That linn ruane wan currently on RTÉ. Came across dreadfully.

Is that actually an attempt at spelling someone's name?

BBFAN wrote: »
    Is that actually an attempt at spelling someone's name?

Did she ejaculate?

• Advertisement

I live next to people from another continent I work with people from Africa Poland Asia and even Cork:D and I have good friendly relations with them all because they are decent people.

I think living next to decent people is what most people want and the main metric for judging that is behaviour.

I’d never trust a cute cork hoor. Deadly.

The people in the apartment above me are Polish and they seem like decent people, but they invite what can only be a racehorse into their apartment to pee directly into the centre of the bowl every night. I've yet to broach the subject and we get along just fine.

A family of Travellers lived around the corner from me (in, shock-horror, a caravan) for several years and they were fine - kept themselves to themselves mostly. Never had (or heard of any other neighbours having) any issues with them.

I’d never trust a cute cork hoor. Deadly.

They would ride their sister in mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hold on, is Leo Varadkars boyfriends name Matt Barrett?

Jesus I only realised that now.

The poster who is called that here and criticizes Leo constantly here, well I feel sorry for them.

That is more creepy than pathetic.

WTF like???

Yeah, I only realised the connection between the username and Varadkar very recently.

Why someone who constantly criticises Varadkar would take a username of Varadkar's partner initially baffled me.

You are right that it is creepy. Very creepy.

Having thought about it, in my opinion, there is an undercurrent of homophobia in someone who would take that username linked to the Taoiseach and criticising him so strongly, as they are also trying to put up in lights who the Taoiseach's partner is. So why? Only conclusion is to highlight the sexual orientation of the Taoiseach, which is just about the lowest you can go in political criticism.

Maybe I am doing that poster a complete disservice, and maybe they are a different Matt Barrett but the link is more than a little disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Can someone challenge/debate with me on this point or is it just a fact that the main elements of traveller "culture" inherently cause anti-social behaviour/lifetime on the dole/criminality in members of their community?
    The reason why I made that comparison is because clondalkin is an economically disadvantaged area with similar population as the travellers as a whole.

Those are the type of areas that should be compared as many are struggling and there are a lot of similarities.
    Marry young.
    Leave school early etc etc.
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I'd agree with this.
    Anti-social/scummy behaviour can be traced back to many issues but and I'll add a few from my POV:
    • Lack of education (leaving school early due to early marriage or getting pregnant etc.) or little value placed on education (potentially uneducated parents?)
    • Lack of attention/responsibilty from parents or outright neglect (large families may be part of this?)
    • Lack of good/positive role models
    • Living environment/peer pressure/ridicule (getting in with the wrong crowd)
    • Many more..

The problem I have is that Traveller culture actually exacerbates many of these issues to a massive degree.
    Is that something we can agree with?
    I could list aspects of Traveller culture against all the points above but I assume most can join the dots.

And there are definitely similarities between the above and disadvantaged areas 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Every single problem travelers have is directly due to them being lower working class.

If they were wealthy they wouldn't be doing a fraction of the thieving they are known for.

If they weren't unemployed with noting to do all day they wouldn't be hanging around the towns in groups all day long. That is my major gripe with them.

If they were focused on a working life they wouldn't choose to live in a mobile home because traveling and a stable job don't mix. Not for most professions anyway.

I'm sick to the back teeth of the media suggesting that all the travelers ills are the result of prejudice and marginalization. These things inevitably happen to some degree because of their beloved lifestyle and especially as I say because they choose to live a lower working class existence as if their were something intrinsically noble in such a choice.

They choose to live together which by definition creates a them and us by default. How can ppl expect not to be marginalized when they marginalize themselves as a result of their so called culture. No other race stick together in the way they do, not in this country anyway. African tribes are the only other demographic that behave similarly I can think of.

The ppl who peddle this widespread marginalization nonsense for me are directly responsible for the attitude of ppl like Margaret Cash who feel no sense of social responsibility whatsoever and an example of that is having countless children with no regard to how she's going to support them and then complains the state are failing in their duty to house her large family as if she knows anything whatsoever about duty. It really is utterly infuriating what has been allowed to happen and the worse part of it is is it's not solely the travelers to blame but the do-gooders that support and defend them as if to show how virtuous they are in doing so.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Every single problem travelers have is directly due to them being lower working class.

If they were wealthy they wouldn't be doing a fraction of the thieving they are known for.

If they weren't unemployed with noting to do all day they wouldn't be hanging around the towns in groups all day long. That is my major gripe with them.

If they were focused on a working life they wouldn't choose to live in a mobile home because traveling and a stable job don't mix. Not for most professions anyway.

I'm sick to the back teeth of the media suggesting that all the travelers ills are the result of prejudice and marginalization. These things inevitably happen to some degree because of their beloved lifestyle and especially as I say because they choose to live a lower working class existence as if their were something intrinsically noble in such a choice.

They choose to live together which by definition creates a them and us by default. How can ppl expect not to be marginalized when they marginalize themselves as a result of their so called culture. No other race stick together in the way they do, not in this country anyway. African tribes are the only other demographic that behave similarly I can think of.

The ppl who peddle this widespread marginalization nonsense for me are directly responsible for the attitude of ppl like Margaret Cash who feel no sense of social responsibility whatsoever and an example of that is having countless children with no regard to how she's going to support them and then complains the state are failing in their duty to house her large family as if she knows anything whatsoever about duty. It really is utterly infuriating what has been allowed to happen and the worse part of it is is it's not solely the travelers to blame but the do-gooders that support and defend them as if to show how virtuous they are in doing so.

In order to be a member of the working class, one needs to work.

AllForIt wrote: »

It really is utterly infuriating what has been allowed to happen and the worse part of it is is it's not solely the travelers to blame but the do-gooders that support and defend them as if to show how virtuous they are in doing so

Nailed-It-Baby-Meme-06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

The people in the apartment above me are Polish and they seem like decent people, but they invite what can only be a racehorse into their apartment to pee directly into the centre of the bowl every night. I've yet to broach the subject and we get along just fine.

A family of Travellers lived around the corner from me (in, shock-horror, a caravan) for several years and they were fine - kept themselves to themselves mostly. Never had (or heard of any other neighbours having) any issues with them.

That they're not all bad, and a few are decent folk hasn't been disputed.

I've spent my life around them and to be honest I haven't seen much good. The 'betterer' ones have just left me alone and kept out of my way.

Other people such as yourself claim to have met decent ones. I'm not arguing or disputing what you say.

This thread is about a woman who felt she was justified in trying to steal clothes because 'muh culture' and the 'gubbnernment' victimising her.

The culture of entitlement is what's causing this situation to fester. I don't know how many times I need to repeat it. The rest of us owe them nothing. In fact, at this stage a thank you, from the likes of pavee point to the rest of us for paying for their lifestyle is long overdue.

Once we all can sit down and discuss this openly and honesty we'll keep going around in circles.

'i know a man and he is really sound' contributes sweet fanny Adams to the situation. And has been bandied about several times already.

'i know a man and he is really sound' contributes sweet fanny Adams to the situation. And has been bandied about several times already.

More like a mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Edgware wrote: »
    Anyone doing the Christian thing and inviting Mags and kids over for Christmas day?

Is she not going out to Miriam for the turkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Funny that the same lads that have tall tales of the wonderful traveller folk who restored their faith in mankind, always seem to be the lads that will immediately respond to anyone else's experiences with a demand for proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In order to be a member of the working class, one needs to work.

Working Class to me describes ones social demographic background, not literally that one works. In any case I used the term lower-working-class, the class below Working Class, which is to me the social demographic at the near bottom of the social scale and I'd say that describes ppl who either don't work, have no intention of working, have no prospects for work, etc.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Funny that the same lads that have tall tales of the wonderful traveller folk who restored their faith in mankind, always seem to be the lads that will immediately respond to anyone else's experiences with a demand for proof.

Can you provide us with a link or are you just tarring them all with the one brush?:P
    Don't want you stereotyping them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BBFAN wrote: »
    Feel free to report my post all the same Roger since you still have a bee in your bonnet obviously. :rolleyes:

Are ya joking?
    Twas hardly worth readin, not to mind reportin!

:rolleyes:

Can you provide us with a link or are you just tarring them all with the one brush?:P
    Don't want you stereotyping them.:D

I lived next door to a fella who told tall tales and he was the only one to help me look for my little dog that time he got lost ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Graces7 wrote: »
    Your main para; all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood. And if others were treated in eg schools as traveller kids often are? Sure they would leave. Education can always be resumed later in life and frankly is not the be all and end all of life.

Are irish folk innocent of the crimes you list?

In my years here I have had more serious problems with non-travellers than with travellers. And I mean serious. eg assault. Far more.
    and equal great kindness and help from both groups.

wonder what you would make of the Amish
    sightband wrote: »
    Totally, completely, unequivocally deluded.

And look who thanked it of course...

More like a mantra.

Personally it's just pis*sing me off even more when I hear some blue haired idiot lecture me about 'but I met one once and he was really sound'.

Probably went to a halting site as part of some BS University module to document traveller culture and of course were greeted with open arms where they were all only too happy to moan about how they're all victimised on camera as part of some pathetic documentary.

Cut off the subsidisation by hard working country folk and the entire farce collapses in a generation or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The real truth comes out in these tabloid red tops. That.
    Bless your innocence. Google 'Hillsborough 1989 Sun Newspaper'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I certainly haven't demanded (or even requested) 'proof' of anything, so I'm not sure if you're referring to my post, but do you think I was telling a 'tall tale' about living near Travellers who kept themselves to themselves and never bothered anyone? Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person? I'm sure you don't think that (because that would make you a massive racist), but you're in danger of coming across that way.

I certainly haven't demanded (or even requested) 'proof' of anything, so I'm not sure if you're referring to my post, but do you think I was telling a 'tall tale' about living near Travellers who kept themselves to themselves and never bothered anyone? Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person? I'm sure you don't think that (because that would make you a massive racist), but you're in danger of coming across that way.

I'll get over it.

I lived next to a fella one time that was a mahoosive rashisht altogether, so he was, but by god he made a great cup o tae.

• Advertisement

I'll get over it.

I lived next to a fella one time that was a mahoosive rashisht altogether, so he was, but by god he made a great cup o tae.

But do you think I was lying about living near Travellers who kept themselves to themselves and never bothered anyone? Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person? I'm genuinely interested.

But do you think I was lying about living near Travellers who kept themselves to themselves and never bothered anyone? Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person? I'm genuinely interested.

I'm sure you are genuinely interested. I am also sure there are travellers who are lovely, quiet, law-abiding people, who are wonderful neighbours - I've never met one, or met anyone in real life who met one, but lots of people on here seem to have. But then there's a thread on here where people are recounting their experiences of meeting ghosts too.

I'll get over it.

Everyone's a racist nowadays. When I was a young whippersnapper it was away simpler. You just hated someone because of the ethnic group they belonged to/skin colour/religious affiliation they had without knowing anything else about them.

These days unless you're offering rooms in your house for these people to live in free of charge or aren't actively going out of your way to interact with them for no other reason than that they're different you're a racist. Or if you don't believe that you're taxes should be funding a way of living that isn't economically viable...

Liberals/lefties like the 5-6 on here are responsible for rendering that term completely meaningless.

I'm sure you are genuinely interested. I am also sure there are travellers who are lovely, quiet, law-abiding people, who are wonderful neighbours - I've never met one, or met anyone in real life who met one, but lots of people on here seem to have. But then there's a thread on here where people are recounting their experiences of meeting ghosts too.

A direct answer to my question would have been nice, but perhaps too much to expect.

A direct answer to my question would have been nice, but perhaps too much to expect.

You got one, you just weren't clever enough to recognise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person? I'm sure you don't think that (because that would make you a massive racist), but you're in danger of coming across that way.

Debatable. I wouldn't call them a different race at all. Enda and his boys decided that on our behalf. I absolutely reject it.

Anyway, of course there are decent Traveller folks. Regular family men, women and children just wanting to get on with life without infringing on others. It must be so tough on them. A sizeable chunk of their people have dragged their name through the mud though and given them the reputation they face today. A horrible situation to be in. Trust me, it's not lost on me.

Gravelly as a poster I like you but this post:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Your analogy is just plain wrong.:(

I know two people that say they have experienced paranormal activity.:D

The smugness just emanates from your response, why don't you become an automatic arbiter of justice Ray.

I'll refrain from commenting on your intelligence, but you don't appear to understand the difference between a direct answer and a slippery, evasive one.

• Advertisement

I'll refrain from commenting on your intelligence, but you don't appear to understand the difference between a direct answer and a slippery, evasive one.

Oh I recognise the slippery and evasive when I see it alright lad.

I saw it. Plain as day. But I guess it wasn't an answer because it didn't cowtow the Lefty line.

Do you think it's impossible that anyone who happens to be a Traveller could be a normal, decent person?

I am also sure there are travellers who are lovely, quiet, law-abiding people, who are wonderful neighbours

Avon, you're a massive part of the problem buddy. Whether you realise it or not.

I will refrain from personal insult and in the same sentence lands a personal insult.:rolleyes:

double-negatives1.jpg

The smugness just emanates from your response, why don't you become an automatic arbiter of justice Ray.

No offence, but I don't know who you are (I suspect you're not even a horse, to be brutally honest), so I'd kind of appreciate it if you didn't refer to me by my first name. Seems unnecessarily over-familiar and a bit creepy.

Feel free to continue, btw. I'm simply asking you not to. :)

No offence, but I don't know who you are (I suspect you're not even a horse, to be brutally honest), so I'd kind of appreciate it if you didn't refer to me by my first name. Seems unnecessarily over-familiar and a bit creepy.

Feel free to continue, btw. I'm simply asking you not to. :)

RayM was your previous moniker. Which you don't deny. Therefore I will refer to you as 'Ray' as opposed to an unfunny alternative.

RayM was your previous moniker. Which you don't deny. Therefore I will refer to you as 'Ray' as opposed to an unfunny alternative.

Well, I've politely asked you not to, but do as you please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Omackeral wrote: »
    And look who thanked it of course...

I know without even looking :D!

Well, I've politely asked you not to, but do as you please.

I'll respect your wishes, owing to your courtesy. However, I envisage we'll be on opposite sides of debate futurewise. And so it stands, until our next battle of ideas.

Not trying to derail the thread or anything. But I'm a big Celtic man (yay 1-0 tonight). I could swear I've heard 'yer da sells Avon' in Glasgow before. More than once.

Lots of Celtic supporters for whatever reason seem to be poisoned with this Liberal/lefty/Marxist tripe. I don't know why. Deluded that everyone living in a council estate has a bookshelf full of Karl Marx sh1t and that all people from these types of places are really, really sound. And there isn't a shred of racism despite people in these types of places are likely to suffer the worst from lax immigration policies.

Its (a large) part of the reason I stopped going over there. Not long ago it was a big part of my life. I'd go at least 3 times a year. I could no longer handle looking at morons waving Palestinian flags around one week and rainbow flags the next. Not every celtic fan, but for me too sizeable of a minority carrying on at it.

Do you fit the profile, Avon? Or am I grossly mistaken?

Just asking. As I say. Don't want to take the thread off on a tangent into something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

For anyone defending these people, please have a look at the attached screenshots.
    I read these under a FB article about a traveler woman who was convicted of stealing, a few of the woman’s relatives commented underneath defending her actions.

It’s actually hilarious that the apologists are here denying their criminality, their lack of respect for the law, and the fact that they take advantage of the tax payer.
    Yet here, under this article, we have a few traveller folk not only openly admitting to all of those things, but actually laughing about it.

Couldn’t make it up if I tried.
    How anyone can defend them knowing they openly take the p*ss out of us for going to work every day boils my blood.

(I blurred out any identifying info before anyone reports me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Graces7 wrote: »
    all that you are objecting to is that they do not conform to YOUR ideas, and why should they? They are a different ethnic minority. So yes, wilfully misunderstood.
    The stuff of parody.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement