Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

SusieBlue wrote: »
    For anyone defending these people, please have a look at the attached screenshots.
    I read these under a FB article about a traveler woman who was convicted of stealing, a few of the woman’s relatives commented underneath defending her actions.

It’s actually hilarious that the apologists are here denying their criminality, their lack of respect for the law, and the fact that they take advantage of the tax payer.
    Yet here, under this article, we have a few traveller folk not only openly admitting to all of those things, but actually laughing about it.

Couldn’t make it up if I tried.
    How anyone can defend them knowing they openly take the p*ss out of us for going to work every day boils my blood.

(I blurred out any identifying info before anyone reports me)

The funny thing is they were clearly goading. The not funny thing is they meant every word they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And then "Don't be prejudiced towards us!"

The neck of a giraffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I travel on the Luas red line to work everyday and there are people on the Luas from all over the world. One evening I witnessed a teenaged traveller girl reach over across the aisle and deliberately knock a milkshake out of an Asian girls hand. Then she and her pals or siblings? laughed manically at the poor girl. Another day an African guy put his backpack in tge space in between the row of seats and a young traveller girl started roaring and yelling at him that he couldn't put his bag there. And that he should go back to the jungle. The guy ending up having to move away from her. Presume that's part of their culture too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Some more culture on display outside the Rotunda maternity hospital

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/a1hwyi/fight_outside_the_rotunda_maternity_hospital/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

AllForIt wrote: »
    It really is utterly infuriating what has been allowed to happen and the worse part of it is is it's not solely the travelers to blame but the do-gooders that support and defend them as if to show how virtuous they are in doing so.

Perfectly put. Making excuses for them, recognizing their "ethnic minority status" and "unique culture," and blaming the settled community for inflicting racism, discrimination, and social exclusion on them only turns Travellers into entitled victims and removes any responsibility on them to change. Instead, settled people are told that they are we are the ones who have to change.

Dysfunctional Traveller patterns such as taking girls out of school at 12 and marrying them off to their cousins at 16 are now seen as part of a valuable culture that needs to be preserved. Anyone who points out that this "culture" of disregard for education and early consanguineous marriage only leads to women becoming illiterate welfare-dependent mothers of 5+ kids by their 20s is met with "It's their ethnic minority culture. Are you a racist?"

If do-gooders actually wanted to do any good, they would be telling Travellers to keep their children in school, delay marriage and children at least until they finish their education, get jobs, have smaller families they can support, and address the serious problems with feuding, drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, criminality, fraud, and tax evasion in their communities.

I'm sure there are some people who are trying to do these things -- but they are drowned out by the spin machine in Áras an Uachtaráin, Dáil Éireann, RTÉ, and Pavee Point who just want to make excuses for Travellers and blame settled people for all that is wrong in their communities.

The whole thing is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭893bet

tuxy wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/a1hwyi/fight_outside_the_rotunda_maternity_hospital/

Must have been laundry day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Do you fit the profile, Avon? Or am I grossly mistaken?

Just asking. As I say. Don't want to take the thread off on a tangent into something else.

You are grossly mistaken and should hang your head in shame. I don't have any interest whatsoever in Scottish football, and have no been tae Glasgae in ma life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Working Class to me describes ones social demographic background, not literally that one works. In any case I used the term lower-working-class, the class below Working Class, which is to me the social demographic at the near bottom of the social scale and I'd say that describes ppl who either don't work, have no intention of working, have no prospects for work, etc.

That is the Underclass, surely ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

tuxy wrote: »

Why do traveller fights always seem to end up with someone’s arse on show, and no clear winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Perfectly put. Making excuses for them, recognizing their "ethnic minority status" and "unique culture," and blaming the settled community for inflicting racism, discrimination, and social exclusion on them only turns Travellers into entitled victims and removes any responsibility on them to change. Instead, settled people are told that they are we are the ones who have to change.

Dysfunctional Traveller patterns such as taking girls out of school at 12 and marrying them off to their cousins at 16 are now seen as part of a valuable culture that needs to be preserved. Anyone who points out that this "culture" of disregard for education and early consanguineous marriage only leads to women becoming illiterate welfare-dependent mothers of 5+ kids by their 20s is met with "It's their ethnic minority culture. Are you a racist?"

If do-gooders actually wanted to do any good, they would be telling Travellers to keep their children in school, delay marriage and children at least until they finish their education, get jobs, have smaller families they can support, and address the serious problems with feuding, drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, criminality, fraud, and tax evasion in their communities.

I'm sure there are some people who are trying to do these things -- but they are drowned out by the spin machine in Áras an Uachtaráin, Dáil Éireann, RTÉ, and Pavee Point who just want to make excuses for Travellers and blame settled people for all that is wrong in their communities.

The whole thing is insane.

The do gooders are not concerned with the traveller's, they're aim is to smugly lecture middle Ireland who they despise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

SusieBlue wrote: »
    For anyone defending these people, please have a look at the attached screenshots.
    I read these under a FB article about a traveler woman who was convicted of stealing, a few of the woman’s relatives commented underneath defending her actions.

It’s actually hilarious that the apologists are here denying their criminality, their lack of respect for the law, and the fact that they take advantage of the tax payer.
    Yet here, under this article, we have a few traveller folk not only openly admitting to all of those things, but actually laughing about it.

Couldn’t make it up if I tried.
    How anyone can defend them knowing they openly take the p*ss out of us for going to work every day boils my blood.

(I blurred out any identifying info before anyone reports me)

Jesus who can actually defend that with a straight face ??? Like the other poster said "they mean every word" - why exactly are we bowing to these lowlives ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

#settledpeopleguilt

#settledpeopleguilt

I hate the word "settled" so much, it's ridiculous.

We're people. If they want to call themselves something different, have at it - you can call yourself an aubergine for all I care.

Just don't expect the rest of us to fall in line or find it.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Why do traveller fights always seem to end up with someone’s arse on show, and no clear winner?

Doesn’t it just make ya go weak at the knees with desire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The do gooders are not concerned with the traveller's, they're aim is to smugly lecture middle Ireland who they despise.

It's more cynical than that. What we're seeing is a wholesale importation of the US victimhood industry. This involves various well-connected parties coming together as a network of self-interest to advocate on behalf of "victims" of the wider society:

Researchers and academics get paid to conduct "studies" that prove disadvantage while carefully remaining blinkered to any of its causes that do not match the desired end of "discrimination";

Non-profit "community and advocacy" quangos obtain public funding to address the inequalities presented by these studies;

Lawyers get business and profile representing these "victims" when they seek to shake down the public purse;

Politicians gain publicity and some votes by standing up for "the most disadvantaged in our society";

Media gets a soft emotional story that requires minimal journalistic graft (typically they're presented with the interviewee by their Quango handlers and know to ask no hard questions, exactly as happened in the first two weeks of the Margaret Cash story when her dishonest gambit was pushed for all it was worth by the papers, radio and TV).

This creates a significant amount of important people with a vested interest in the status quo. This is why Peter Casey aroused such vitriol, he threatened to take food from their plates. Actually solving the social and economic problems in the travelling community is not the aim of this system, in fact it would kill the Goose that lays the golden eggs.

Arrests made in the referee attack case
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46393885

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate the word "settled" so much, it's ridiculous.

We're people. If they want to call themselves something different, have at it - you can call yourself an aubergine for all I care.

Just don't expect the rest of us to fall in line or find it.

Cis Gendered Settled Man

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It's more cynical than that. What we're seeing is a wholesale importation of the US victimhood industry. This involves various well-connected parties coming together as a network of self-interest to advocate on behalf of "victims" of the wider society:

Researchers and academics get paid to conduct "studies" that prove disadvantage while carefully remaining blinkered to any of its causes that do not match the desired end of "discrimination";

Non-profit "community and advocacy" quangos obtain public funding to address the inequalities presented by these studies;

Lawyers get business and profile representing these "victims" when they seek to shake down the public purse;

Politicians gain publicity and some votes by standing up for "the most disadvantaged in our society";

Media gets a soft emotional story that requires minimal journalistic graft (typically they're presented with the interviewee by their Quango handlers and know to ask no hard questions, exactly as happened in the first two weeks of the Margaret Cash story when her dishonest gambit was pushed for all it was worth by the papers, radio and TV).

This creates a significant amount of important people with a vested interest in the status quo. This is why Peter Casey aroused such vitriol, he threatened to take food from their plates. Actually solving the social and economic problems in the travelling community is not the aim of this system, in fact it would kill the Goose that lays the golden eggs.

It's very insidious.

Not long ago an opinion piece appeared on the RTE website, by some university academic or other. The kind of article where the comments section remains inaccessible, and the point of view therefore unchallenged.

So I emailed him directly and challenged him to substantiate his cosy view.

Still waiting.

These 'intellectuals' are totally unaccountable, but with free access to a platform provided by... us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In order to be a member of the working class, one needs to work.

Nah the working class in Ireland as defined by the likes of sinn fein, people before principles, etc are those for the most part that have never worked a day in their lives.

The real working class are seen by these parties as the mugs that pay for the above group.
    I travel on the Luas red line to work everyday and there are people on the Luas from all over the world. One evening I witnessed a teenaged traveller girl reach over across the aisle and deliberately knock a milkshake out of an Asian girls hand. Then she and her pals or siblings? laughed manically at the poor girl. Another day an African guy put his backpack in tge space in between the row of seats and a young traveller girl started roaring and yelling at him that he couldn't put his bag there. And that he should go back to the jungle. The guy ending up having to move away from her. Presume that's part of their culture too?

The thing in modern Western societies is that the ones supposedly most concerned about liberal attitudes, about sexual discrimination, about LGBT rights, are the ones most vehemently defending and supporting the likes of travellers, muslim self segregation (i.e. multi culturalism) and increasing backward uneducated misogynistic economic migrants from Africa/Asia.

The real laugh is the very ones they are forever supporting are the most discriminatory you can find, the most misogynistic out there and the most insular.

It really is like turkeys voting for Christmas.

It defies logic and intelligence.

EDIT:
    Of course there is a bit of a superiority complex going on as well, where they think they know better and believe they can convert or or show these people the error of their ways.
    "Sure bring them in, offer them all they want, bring them to your home and they will forget about beating the cr** out of ya because you are gay, a different religion or a different tribe."

And as highlighted by one poster here, it is your fault for not engaging enough with them, it is your fault that they don't integrate, it is your fault that they are uneducated and unemployable.
    And it will be your fault if they beat the sh** out of ya and steal everything you own.
    Fooks sake there is a huge amount of delusion and actual self hatred in Western societies these days.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Graces7 never came back after the Amish comparison did she?! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Omackeral wrote: »

I still can't believe that someone tried to compare Travelers with the Amish. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Working Class to me describes ones social demographic background, not literally that one works. In any case I used the term lower-working-class, the class below Working Class, which is to me the social demographic at the near bottom of the social scale and I'd say that describes ppl who either don't work, have no intention of working, have no prospects for work, etc.
    Working class are people who are working but in jobs with low income. People below that are the benefits class who have no intention of working a day in their life and will scrounge off the government taxpayers until the day they die.

*People who use benefits to prop themselves up in hard times are exempt from this

It's her posting style to drop a pious, self-righteous load of nonsense into the middle of a thread, which winds people up and they react to it. Normally she would come back but she really shot herself in the foot with the Amish comment. Honestly, I think she's just lonely and does it for attention.

In the past few months we've had Margaret "De gubbermint is robbing me!" Cash pulling publicity stunts with her seven children before racking up her 39th criminal conviction. We've had Travellers refusing six homes built for them in Tipperary at a cost of €1.7 million to the taxpayer because they didn't come with stables and six acres of land for horses. We've seen numerous additional policing resources required in Drogheda because of a feud involving stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings, and car bombs. And now we have Travellers living in €100,000 camper vans while claiming social welfare.

The spin machine must be working overtime in RTE and Pavee Point trying to deflect and cover up all of this.

It's clear that "ethnic minority status" has only made the situation much worse, because Travellers now feel that they have immunity from criticism.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh you forgot beating the cr** out of an amateur soccer referee in a car park after a match.
    But they are sorry now, they probably found better use for the golf club.

Anyway according to the likes of blueblackblue it is probably the fault of the referee for now engaging with them enough. :rolleyes:

Lets never forget what happened in January when scumbags illegally sulky racing caused a pregnant woman to crash and they returned to the scene of the crash to film it and jeer at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have a question for those that support Traveller culture. What are the positive aspects of Traveller culture?

We have long discussed and documented the negative aspects of Traveller culture on this thread. These include:

- a culture of acceptance of criminality and at least tacit support for those engaged in it;
    - a culture of taking girls out of school around the age of twelve;
    - a culture of marrying young girls aged 15/16 off to relatives and turning them into baby factories;
    - a culture of environmental destruction;
    - a homophobic environment for young men and women;
    - a racist attitude to recent immigrants;
    - a culture of tax evasion;
    - a violent culture both in terms of bare-knuckle fighting and violence to women as shown by the womens' refuge statistics
    - poor treatment of animals
    - a welfare dependency culture

However, if Traveller culture is so worthwhile, there must be some positive aspects to it. Some have pointed to the clannish and family nature as a positive aspect but the problem is that only reinforces the negative aspects as it becomes cultish rather than family-based. Where is the music? Where is the art? Sulky-racing?

Now, I am not painting every Traveller with the brush above, and there are many travellers who do not subscribe to the majority of the negative aspects, but taken as a whole, that is the understanding of Traveller culture held by the vast majority of Irish people [BTW, if Travellers wish to be known as ethnically separate and distinct, the rest of us aren't "settled people", we are Irish].

So can someone explain the positive aspects of Traveller culture, or are we just supposed to accept the list above?

• Advertisement

Witness would have a far less sweeter film if they were the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Lets never forget what happened in January when scumbags illegally sulky racing caused a pregnant woman to crash and they returned to the scene of the crash to film it and jeer at her.

The "tiny minority" of travellers involved in criminality really get around, don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

blanch152 wrote: »
    So can someone explain the positive aspects of Traveller culture, or are we just supposed to accept the list above?

If you own a shop that sells blinged up holy communion dresses - you're set for life.

Also if you sell commercial vehicles, and are looking for the odd cash sale with no questions asked, again you are onto a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RayM was your previous moniker. Which you don't deny. Therefore I will refer to you as 'Ray' as opposed to an unfunny alternative.

If a user asks you not to use a name that isn't their username, you'll do just that or you'll be out on your arse fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

If you own a shop that sells blinged up holy communion dresses - you're set for life.

Also if you sell commercial vehicles, and are looking for the odd cash sale with no questions asked, again you are onto a winner.

Add to that list jewellery shops that flog Thelma Madine (of Big Fat Gypsy Wedding 'fame') figurines:
    https://www.tierneysgifts.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=Thelma+Madine

Practically a licence to print money catering to a particular clientele.

• Advertisement

I'd say there's a very good reason why Cher's song put gypsies and thieves together in a sentence, other than "Gypsies, Doctors and Stockbrokers" wouldn't scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I have it on good authority the council have privately purchased a 3 bed house in Old Bawn that she will move into in the new year. Its on the basis she doesnt go to the media about it

I have it on good authority the council have privately purchased a 3 bed house in Old Bawn that she will move into in the new year. Its on the basis she doesnt go to the media about it

Good to see our hard earned money being used wisely. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

So she gets rewarded for her publicity stunt

Typical Ireland

The gubberment which is robbing her fixes her up with a house forever

Old Bawn, an average three-bed open market value would be... ? ? ?

Old Bawn, an average three-bed open market value would be... ? ? ?

One large enough for that many childers.
    Probably 350 - 400k

And to rent about 2k a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

This is a very considered piece by Felim O'Rourke that puts its finger on the nub of the problem. Worth reading.
    https://www.theburkean.ie/articles/2018/08/19/irelands-traveller-policy-an-inherent-contradiction-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

eastwest wrote: »
    This is a very considered piece by Felim O'Rourke that puts its finger on the nub of the problem. Worth reading.
    https://www.theburkean.ie/articles/2018/08/19/irelands-traveller-policy-an-inherent-contradiction-2

Some interesting stuff, though i know nothing about the writer or the site. How credible are they?

The following jumped out at me

"The Program for Prosperity and Fairness (2000) committed the Government to setting up a “Working Group” to discover the causes of high unemployment among Travellers despite labour shortages in the then booming economy. The Departments of Enterprise, Trade and Employment and Justice and Equality were both reluctant to take responsibility for the Working Group. In 2002 the Department of Enterprise reached an agreement with Pavee Point that the Working Group not be set up but no reasons were ever given for this decision...

Up until the mid-1990s FÁS (now Solas) operated 26 Senior Traveller Training Centres (STTCs) providing specialized training for Travellers. The Task Force recommended in 1995 that the control of these STTCs be transferred to the Department of Education because FÁS training, geared towards employment, was not “culturally appropriate.” One of FÁS’ targets was progression of its trainees to employment and the failure of Travellers to progress to employment was affecting their performance metrics so they gladly handed over control of the STTC’s to the Department of Education."

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So she gets rewarded for her publicity stunt

Typical Ireland

The gubberment which is robbing her fixes her up with a house forever

We'll see then if she keeps turning up to help the homeless. Or shout about them at least.

Next step is a career in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

jmayo wrote: »
    The thing in modern Western societies is that the ones supposedly most concerned about liberal attitudes, about sexual discrimination, about LGBT rights, are the ones most vehemently defending and supporting the likes of travellers, muslim self segregation (i.e. multi culturalism) and increasing backward uneducated misogynistic economic migrants from Africa/Asia.

The real laugh is the very ones they are forever supporting are the most discriminatory you can find, the most misogynistic out there and the most insular.

It really is like turkeys voting for Christmas.

It defies logic and intelligence.

You are bang on jmayo. You see the odd traveller and muslim on grindr the gay dating/hookup app. They go to great lengths to avoid being identified as they know full well the backlash they will receive if the people from their culture find out.

I know a few gay lads who are on the sjw bandwagon and cant for the life me understand the why of it. The people they are defending would kick 7 shades of sh1te out of us if they had the chance.

• Advertisement

We'll see then if she keeps turning up to help the homeless. Or shout about them at least.

Next step is a career in politics.

First traveller TD? Maybe Sinn Fein can make it happen! They could coach her on what to say and what not to say!

Even SF aren't that stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

eastwest wrote: »

yes, an interesting piece.

For me the part where they talk about "promoting “knowledge of and pride in Traveller culture and heritage”" strikes a chord with my post earlier this morning. What are the positive aspects of Traveller culture and heritage?

Very weird definition of Integration - The Migrant Strategy defines “integration” as the “ability to participate to the extent that a person needs and wishes in all of the major components of society without having to relinquish his or her cultural identity.”

Also had to laugh at this part - A Traveller working as a paid employee is giving up the potential cash income from casual trading, recycling and the other activities referred to as the “Traveller Economy.”

Would have loved to see a definition of 'other activities'

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Even SF aren't that stupid

Someone in Sinn Fein HQ just shouted "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

Barney Stinson like lol

Is she going to take it? I'd imagine she'd want a 4 bed for all the kids.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is she going to take it? I'd imagine she'd want a 4 bed for all the kids.

Maybe she can make do since the sperm donor father is not around. She will regret it when she takes him back though.

I doubt it. She needs a 4 bed house. Her 6 sons cannot be put in one room.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement