Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Some "culture" eh?

DdkSHceXkAE6U0N.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

tuxy wrote: »
    What did you expect her to do?
    As she explained secondary school forces you down the route of drink and drugs.
    She will have to remove her cilders from school when they reach 12 years old, it's an awful predicament to be in.

Can't be taking after the father of her 7 children either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    well she is Mrs McCarthy but yet he is described as her partner not her husband

Name change was handy when using the 'single' homeless mother of seven angle

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/no-solution-in-sight-with-ongoing-homeless-crisis

Funny they 'overholded' on this property in 2015

That surely must go against them when they were 'looking' for private rented accommodation

Interesting quote from that article:
    “It’s causing us awful stress. We know we are not the only ones looking for a place but they do have housing. Where will we go with six children ? They’re not giving us any hope.”

So they were, by their own admission, homeless and stressed-out with six children -- and yet Margaret went on to get pregnant again and have another child.

What's the thought process here?

If you can't cope with six children, you're going to cope even less well with seven.

Not sure there was a thought process

Most people would have taken stock of their situation

Then again everybody else has already paid for her, the husband and six kids to that point so why not one more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So they were, by their own admission, homeless and stressed-out with six children -- and yet Margaret went on to get pregnant again and have another child.

If you can't cope with six children, you're going to cope even less well with seven.

Gods will, go forth and multiply, it would be a sin to go against it.

Or as Margaret put it before. It just happens, what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I am ? Care to post where I did that ?

You're piggy backing off another poster. If you are continuing that line, FF/FG are not left IMO. Either way, anyone with issues on who gets state aid, how much and how long, needs to look at FF/FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Any allowances should be capped at two kids. You can have as many as you like, the state will assist with the first two and only if you can prove you need it through no fault of your own, can't work etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Any allowances should be capped at two kids. You can have as many as you like, the state will assist with the first two and only if you can prove you need it through no fault of your own, can't work etc.

That is further right than Nigel Farage or the Le Pens.

No wonder you are so angry at Leo and Eoghan for selling out and giving in to the Left.

Her argument there was that six of her seven children are boys, and she couldn't put them all in the same room to give the girl a room of her own. Somewhat valid point, but does not excuse her attitude.

I don’t think that it’s her argument. It’s council rules regarding overcrowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sure look, it probably doesn't really matter at this stage.

I'm surprised no 8 hasn't/isn't on the way

'single' homeless mother of seven worries where she will live in time for her new arrival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don’t think that it’s her argument. It’s council rules regarding overcrowded.

No her argument is that it wasn't where she wanted to live.

No her argument is that it wasn't where she wanted to live.

Wasn’t it said that she wanted somewhere near her mothers grave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Sure look, it probably doesn't really matter at this stage.

Sort of.. Seven thieving little pairs of hands are better than 6 surely :confused:

Can carry more out of Penneys

Something like that.

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    Sort of.. Seven thieving little pairs of hands are better than 6 surely :confused:

i'm still trying to figure out how she managed to carry €300 worth of stuff from Penneys. She should get herself a job as a brickies labourer.

i'm still trying to figure out how she managed to carry €300 worth of stuff from Penneys. She should get herself a job as a brickies labourer.

Ha!!!

I'm surprised no 8 hasn't/isn't on the way

The husband decided instead to work on #1 with another woman.

True but he did have a chance in the house when he was released and for all we know he might still be there in the background

True but he did have a chance in the house when he was released and for all we know he might still be there in the background

Very true. It wouldn't surprise me at all if sometime next year we're hearing about the plight of Margaret Cash and her eight children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

As a good catholic girl I am sure she will be living a life of chastity and honoring her marriage vows.

If she does get up the duff then it will be an imaculate conception for which she will be wanting compo.

gwalk wrote: »
    DdkSHceXkAE6U0N.jpg

We're talking about certain aspects of traveler culture here, not prison :rolleyes:

Homer wrote: »

I really don't think we should be attacking the kids folks, not their fault their mother is dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dig up the mother and move the lot to Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I really don't think we should be attacking the kids folks, not their fault their mother is dodge.

Look let's be honest we know how the kids are going to turn out their mother and father are the only role models they are being exposed too.

I find posts like yours disingenuous.

Look at this another way do you think the Cash woman should be allowed to continue to ruin these children?

Look let's be honest we know how the kids are going to turn out their mother and father are the only role models they are being exposed too.

I find posts like yours disingenuous.

Look at this another way do you think the Cash woman should be allowed to continue to ruin these children?

Well in an ideal world they would be taken off her hands right away. She has already proved she's not fit to be a mother by failing to provide a roof over their head.

Of course that's not ever going to happen and yes, they will grow up to be much the same sadly.

They're kids. Young kids too. Have a bit of perspective.

Well in an ideal world they would be taken of her hands right away. She has already proved she's not fit to be a mother by failing to provide a roof over her head.

Of course that's not ever going to happen and yes, they will grow up to be much the same sadly.

They're kids. Young kids too. Have a bit of perspective.

Thanks for the honest answer it is refreshing around here.:)

I did not pick on the kids I do agree that is a bit low.
    As for the rest of the situation, it is depressing.

Thanks for the honest answer it is refreshing around here.:)

I did not pick on the kids I do agree that is a bit low.
    As for the rest of the situation, it is depressing.

And thank you for your polite and constructive reply which can be quite rare here too by times. :)

It is depressing, frankly it's madness this nonsense is allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

My parents had 7 kids in a two bed house with 2 daughters and 5 sons. You just make it work.

Very irresponsible of them to have 7 children when they only had a two bed house though wasn't it?

That's if you agree with the majority here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Dig up the mother and move the lot to Roscommon

:eek::D

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    Very irresponsible of them to have 7 children when they only had a two bed house though wasn't it?

If you can support them and bring them up in a half decent manner, as I'm sure this posters parents did, then it's actually pretty responsible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you can support them and bring them up in a half decent manner, as I'm sure this posters parents did, then it's actually pretty responsible.

Having 7 kids in a developed world country is never responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

A. It probably was a different time before contraception was freely available, and B. They probably got up off their arse and worked instead of having the hand out.

Amirani wrote: »

Even if the parents are decent hard working people who can feed and clothe all seven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Except you know very well the poster isn't 12 ffs and is referencing a completely different era, when Ireland was far from a developed country.

This was nearly 50 years ago. Things were different. The generation before that would be lucky to have 2 bedrooms. My father was also not dependent on the state to feed and clothe us.

Imagine the quality of life Cash could live in somewhere like Roscommon with that level of social welfare payouts. She really is doing her kids a disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Imagine the quality of life Cash could live in somewhere like Roscommon with that level of social welfare payouts. She really is doing here kids a disservice.

Time to 'build that wall' in Roscommon. Ye can keep her up there.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Time to 'build that wall' in Roscommon. Ye can keep her up there.

IMO most counties are nicer to live in than Dublin. The only problem with these counties is lack of jobs but that's another bonus for Cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

IMO most counties are nicer to live in than Dublin. The only problem with these counties is lack of jobs but that's another bonus for Cash!

Cash bonus. I see what you did there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

But less of a bonus for the locals!

Miriam O'Callaghan has eight children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

This was nearly 50 years ago. Things were different. The generation before that would be lucky to have 2 bedrooms. My father was also not dependent on the state to feed and clothe us.

Well said.

It was an impertinent remark that you should not have had to deal with.

Miriam O'Callaghan has eight children.

Also at the tax payers expense! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

A poor dog was shot this evening in an incident in Longford involving the ethnic group. Cop shot the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    To follow on from this in a completely different (and less humorous) way

Remember Martin Ward, the traveller that was on RTE's "The Cutting Edge"?
    He's gay and a LGBTQ+ activist and was given praise for appearing on the show with many saying he would be a great spokesman for Travellers etc.

The thing is, Martin Warde is pretty much the needle in the Traveller haystack:

1. Education
    57% of male and 54% of females travellers don't progress past primary school.
    ~8% go on to do the leaving cert.

Martin is one of the ~1% that will get a 3rd level education.
    This is the single biggest issue IMO.

2. Employment
    ~80% of Traveller's are unemployed.
    Given the change in the times (being a tinker is no longer a viable career) and the rise of skilled jobs, this is clearly linked to education.

I believe after finishing the leaving cert Martin traveled to the UK where he gained extensive bar-management experience. I imagine he came back to Ireland to study. I'm under no illusion he'd find it harder to get a job here because of his name and the discrimination it brings with it.

3. Nomadic (or not)
    The title of the Irish times piece is just this "I am a Traveller who does not travel"

As mentioned above I doubt he lived in a caravan or travelled around much while he was working in England and am pretty sure he doesn't now that he is in NUIG. I also get the feeling his parents weren't quite so nomadic if he managed to complete the junior and leaving cert.

4. Family/Environment
    From what I can tell Martin has no family of his own as of yet, he isnt married either AFAIK.
    Almost a third of Irish travellers in the 15-29 age group are married compared to ~6% in the settled community.
    More than 1 in 4 Irish Traveller households had 6 or more persons.

5. Religion/Sexuality
    Not sure which (if any) religions Martin believes in but the majority of Travellers would be staunch Catholics. I can't imagine being gay in the travelling community is a barrel of laugh so fair play to Martin on that count and continuing to build acceptance. I'm hoping his parents are open/accepting of it too and he has a good relationship with them.

6. Horses/Animals (none?)
    While Martin was working in the UK or now that he is in college I doubt he had any equine pals around.

7. Other
    Unfortunately many travellers are involved in crime, yet he doesn't seem to have gone down that path. He doesn't drink much. He doesn't post call out videos. He doesn't even sound like the majority of travellers I've spoken with or heard speaking.
    If he had a different surname he probably wouldn't be discriminated against anymore than a settled person.

Taking all this into account - he's doesn't really fit into the traveller stereotype at all.
    He is essentially a traveller that does not follow their typical traits or "traveller culture"

If we had a few generations of Travellers like him would we see as much discrimination at all?

I think that so far I've been very fair, or against Traveller culture. But throughout this thread I've seen this sectarian anti Catholic crap crop up several times. Me and my wife are regular mass goers. We live our lives responsibly and without demanding hand outs.

I'm settled and take my religion seriously. I pay my own way.

A poor dog was shot this evening in an incident in Longford involving the ethnic group. Cop shot the dog.

Eskimos and huskie dog was it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    But less of a bonus for the locals!

There you are in Ballaghadreen...
    Thinking shît cant get any worse...

There’s a video on the Longford leaders Facebook page. Scroll down 2 or 3 news stories/death notices and you’ll see it. Is this today’s shooting?

I think that so far I've been very fair, or against Traveller culture. But throughout this thread I've seen this sectarian anti Catholic crap crop up several times. Me and my wife are regular mass goers. We live our lives responsibly and without demanding hand outs.

I'm settled and take my religion seriously. I pay my own way.

TBF. I dont think that was very bigoted.
    Its a fact. They're big into the Catholicism

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement