Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's too lucrative for them. Take the financial incentives of being a Traveller away and the charade stops in a generation or 2.

So they would choose education and jobs over increasing the level of crime they are involved in?
    I do like your optimistic outlook!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

tuxy wrote: »
    So they would choose education and jobs over increasing the level of crime they are involved in?
    I do like your optimistic outlook!

If the government decided to treat them like the rest of us eg force them to send their kids to school they might find it a bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's too lucrative for them. Take the financial incentives of being a Traveller away and the charade stops in a generation or 2.

Not just travellers either, plenty of settled folks who do absolutely nothing and contribute even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Omackeral wrote: »
    No4 on the consanguineous marriages is a load of pony too. I work with Travellers (well not with them) and there's a lady that comes in to see them and she's lovely and well meaning and kind. Anyway, she brings in a quarterly magazine aimed solely at the Travelling community. In one of the editions is an article about young Travellers getting married. It was done in simple enough bullet points and went something like this
      You will need your and your spouses PPS number
      You will need to have €500 to register your marriage
      If you are marrying your first cousin, 6 months notice and special dispensation from the church is required.

Busted indeed.

Only €200 for settled people though isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not just travellers either, plenty of settled folks who do absolutely nothing and contribute even less.

As percentage of each community, do you honestly think these numbers would be even remotely comparable? Genuine question.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    As percentage of each community, do you honestly think these numbers would be even remotely comparable? Genuine question.

No, genuine answer. I hope you didn't take that from my post as it simply wasn't there.

Oh god not this stuff again :(

Oh god not this stuff again :(

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mags has a big decision to make. Will she go to Marian Finucanes or Miriam O Callaghans for Christmas Day?
    She can go to Turbridy for Boxing Day and hopefully it will end up like that and she give him a few slaps if he drops the hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Lol

I'd say Margaret has burnt her bridges with RTÉ after her Penneys story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dial Hard wrote: »

As I said in a previous post if you think of Clondalkin declaring itself an ethic minority tomorrow it would be a much fairer comparison.
    As both have similar social disadvantages.

Comparing the whole settled community to travellers statistically is not comparing the same socio-economic demographic.
    Plus there are similar numbers in of people Clondalkin in comparison to the total population of travellers in the island of Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

As I said in a previous post if you think of Clondalkin declaring itself an ethic minority tomorrow it would be a much fairer comparison.

Comparing the whole settled community to travellers statistically is not comparing the same socio-economic demographic.
    Plus there are similar numbers in of people Clondalkin in comparison to the total population of travellers in the island of Ireland.

Out of curiosity gormdubhgorm have you seen this, and if so what are your opinions?
    john4321 wrote: »

Wants to have 6 kids with no apparent way of financing it.

Since you've been openly (rightly) critical of Margaret I'd be curious to know how you feel about this one. I can't see much of a difference myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Out of curiosity gormdubhgorm have you seen this, and if so what are your opinions?

Since you've been openly (rightly) critical of Margaret I'd be curious to know how you feel about this one. I can't see much of a difference myself.

You can't be asking people how they earn their money. That's their business :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Is the protest today or when is it?

First item of business?

What the **** are you looking at?

tuxy wrote: »
    You can't be asking people how they earn their money. That's their business :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh I know all too well. I'm listening to this crap for years. And I'm still told that I know nothing about their 'culture'.

But I'd like to know what gormdubhgorm thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The unemployment rate in Clondalkin was 32 percent in 2016, according to CSO figures. While that qualifies it as an unemployment blackspot, the unemployment rate in the Traveller community is two and a half times higher, at 80 percent.

To put that in perspective, in Clondalkin one working-age person in three is unemployed. In Traveller communities, four out of five are unemployed.

I would also warrant that in Clondalkin, far more kids attend school past age 15. Although it's a disadvantaged area, I doubt that it has the same issues with criminality, violent feuding, consanguineous teenage marriage, irresponsible reproduction, and domestic violence as do Traveller communities.

Now now can't be dealing with facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Now now can't be dealing with facts

Those facts like to either get ignored or explained away with the old "its because of discrimination" card. Nothing at all to do with a culture [a now protected ethnicity] that encourages leaving school at 15 and for girls to get pregnant and have kids as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The unemployment rate in Clondalkin was 32 percent in 2016, according to CSO figures. While that qualifies it as an unemployment blackspot, the unemployment rate in the Traveller community is two and a half times higher, at 80 percent.

To put that in perspective, in Clondalkin one working-age person in three is unemployed. In Traveller communities, four out of five are unemployed.

I would also warrant that in Clondalkin, far more kids attend school past age 15. Although it's a disadvantaged area, I doubt that it has the same issues with criminality, violent feuding, consanguineous teenage marriage, irresponsible reproduction, and domestic violence as do Traveller communities.

Exactly, Clondalkin is not in any way on par with the Travelling community. It's generally a decent place to live.
    I'd also say that a large number of the unemployed and/or non school attenders in the area are actually member of the travelling community themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The list posted earlier https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/vee-point-why-these-7-traveller-myths-are-untrue-849182-Mar2013/%3famp=1 gave me a good laugh.

The VAT one is particularly gold, but the rest are "no no, not all travellers do it" and that's supposed to be "myth smashing".

• Advertisement

Exactly, Clondalkin is not in any way on par with the Travelling community. It's generally a decent place to live.
    I'd also say that a large number of the unemployed and/or non school attenders in the area are actually member of the travelling community themselves.

How did this thing about Clondalkin even come up? Was it another of gormdubhgorm's nuggets of wisdom?

I'm not from Dublin but I work here a lot. For working reasons. Only.

I spent a few months in Fonthill and would occasionally go down to Clondalkin for banking reasons, the church sometimes. Actually seemed like one of the nicer areas in Dublin.

Certainly not one of the rougher areas. On the face of it anyway.

The list posted earlier https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/vee-point-why-these-7-traveller-myths-are-untrue-849182-Mar2013/%3famp=1 gave me a good laugh.

The VAT one is particularly gold, but the rest are "no no, not all travellers do it" and that's supposed to be "myth smashing".

4. Marrying cousins: To this day it is still a Traveller tradition to marry a cousin but it is a custom that is changing with the times.

Busted: “Prior to having IT and Facebook, opportunities for Travellers to meet possible suitors were quite limited so marrying cousins was and still is quite common,”

Busted :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

How did this thing about Clondalkin even come up? Was it another of gormdubhgorm's nuggets of wisdom?

Maybe it has a large Amish population or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Really despise everything she stands for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

4. Marrying cousins: To this day it is still a Traveller tradition to marry a cousin but it is a custom that is changing with the times.

Busted: “Prior to having IT and Facebook, opportunities for Travellers to meet possible suitors were quite limited so marrying cousins was and still is quite common,”

It’s busted that “is a custom that is changing with the times”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You can't pay VAT on stuff you lift

(Just saying...)

“But there are more opportunities now to meet people in other places through Facebook and the like so it’s something that we are seeing a change in.”

I would imagine the change is minuscule

Majority of travellers will still marry travellers

Look at the attitude in the AMA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057383006&page=2

“Out of interest, why do you have no interest in marrying outside of the travelling community?”

“Because a settled man could leave you at anytime and no other man in the traveller community would look at you.”

Yet apparently that fact that you can meet people outside the community busts the 'myth'

I looked through that thread. The main difference between herself and Margaret Cash to me is the the woman in the AMA thread does not seem to have an aggressive self-entitled posture. Also the woman in the AMA thread seems honest in her replies.
    In the AMA thread it was never stated wheter her fiance was working or not (unless I missed it)
    I got the feeling from the AMA thread that she would have liked to stay at school but bullying forced her away. She also is waiting until she is older to have kids.
    There were a few disturbing posts from the woman in the AMA thread though, like how the travellers would not report thier own criminal element out of fear of large feuds. Also she seems to have no trust in the gardai whatsoever after a few bad experiences where she was refused access to public places because she is a traveller. Plus although she said others in her family have married settled people, she claimed to be fearful of doing the same. As in her view the settled person will leave and no traveller man would look at her then.
    (That is her prejudice)
    Also I noted she said she does not frequent pubs and discos because of this hassle. Also she does not drink as she can see it might trouble in general.
    She seems to want to keep her head down and stay out of any hassle/trouble.

In summary the main similarity seems to be that both are traveller women who want to have children.
    Lack of education is another similarity. But that is where the similarity ends.
    The mindset of both women seem to be different.
    The woman in the AMA thread seems to realise that the traveller community is changing and is slowly changing for the better. Ironically she wants more integration with settled people (like some members her family do, although she would not marry a settled person!)

I looked through that thread. The main difference between herself and Margaret Cash to me is the the woman in the AMA thread does not seem to have an aggressive self-entitled posture. Also the woman in the AMA thread seems honest in her replies.
    In the AMA thread it was never stated wheter her fiance was working or not (unless I missed it)
    I got the feeling from the AMA thread that she would have liked to stay at school but bullying forced her away. She also is waiting until she is older to have kids.
    There were a few disturbing posts from the woman in the AMA thread though, like how the travellers would not report thier own criminal element out of fear of large feuds. Also she seems to have no trust in the gardai whatsoever after a few bad experiences where she was refused access to public places because she is a traveller. Plus although she said others in her family have married settled people, she claimed to be fearful of doing the same. As in her view the settled person will leave and no traveller man would look at her then.
    (That is her prejudice)
    Also I noted she said she does not frequent pubs and discos because of this hassle. Also she does not drink as she can see it might trouble in general.
    She seems to want to keep her head down and stay out of any hassle/trouble.

In summary the main similarity seems to be that both are traveller women who want to have children.
    Lack of education is another similarity. But that is where the similarity ends.
    The mindset of both women seem to be different.
    The woman in the AMA thread seems to realise that the traveller community is changing and is slowly changing for the better. Ironically she wants more integration with settled people (like some members her family do, although she would not marry a settled person!)

I don't know how you can make that point to be honest. She's said about wanting the 6 kids and when she was pressed for genuine answers about how she could finance all this is was just diving and ducking, with the occasional input from a mod, telling folk to stop or apologist saying we should be grateful she's answering the questions she is.

I see little difference between the pair to tell you the truth. Just that traveller girl maybe tries to be a bit 'nicer' or something about it.

Net result at the end of the day is pretty much the same.

I guess in Cash's eyes she'd be classed as an 'uncle traveller'.

I've been pointing this out from the start of this thread. No matter how you spin it. Show me a financially viable system in which they choose to live how they live, without mooching off the taxpayer. I've yet to see or hear any such plan.

And to rub salt in the wound, after being forced to subsidise this crap for the overwhelming majority it's done nothing only bred resentment towards us (non travellers).

• Advertisement

I don't know how you can make that point to be honest. She's said about wanting the 6 kids and when she was pressed for genuine answers about how she could finance all this is was just diving and ducking, with the occasional input from a mod, telling folk to stop or apologist saying we should be grateful she's answering the questions she is.

I see little difference between the pair to tell you the truth. Just that traveller girl maybe tries to be a bit 'nicer' or something about it.

Net result at the end of the day is pretty much the same.

I guess in Cash's eyes she'd be classed as an 'uncle traveller'.

I've been pointing this out from the start of this thread. No matter how you spin it. Show me a financially viable system in which they choose to live how they live, without mooching off the taxpayer. I've yet to see or hear any such plan.

And to rub salt in the wound, after being forced to subsidise this crap for the overwhelming majority it's done nothing only bred resentment towards us (non travellers).

Well what I took from it was a woman who wants to better herself, she mentioned the kinds of industires she would be intrested in. It just sounded like she needs encouragement.
    As for the financial issues you raise she never did mention if her fiance is working or not.
    But you seem to be implying that all travellers are on social welfare.
    Do you really believe that to be true?

I saw a thing on the internet where John Connors (actor) wanted to get a security guard job. He was getting nowhere so he put on a Dublin (non-traveller accent) he was going to be given the job and his potential employer told him not to let any travellers in.

Does that sound like a fella who wanted to be on the dole?
    I know Connors can talk some sh*te at times, but he seemed extremely sincere about this story and looked visibly hurt when he told the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well what I took from it was a woman who wants to better herself, she mentioned the kinds of industires she would be intrested in. It just sounded like she needs encouragement.
    As for the financial issues you raise she never did mention if her fiance is working or not.

I saw a thing on the internet where John Connors (actor) wanted to get a security guard job. He was getting nowhere so he put on a Dublin (non-traveller accent) he was going to be given the job and his potential employer told him not to let any travellers in.

I know Connors can talk some sh*te at times, but he seemed extremely sincere about this story and looked visibly hurt when he told the story.

Connors is a professional grievance monger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Connors is a professional grievance monger.

Have you read the Official John Connors Appreciation Thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Nice story, I’d say it’s utter bollocks unfortunately. A traveller accent for the most part sounds like any other accent where they were reared, mostly midlands.

Cash got asked why she didn’t work and she cited traveller discrimination as the reason, for some reason nobody asked her how many jobs she applied for, I’d be willing to bet it was a grand total of zero. If she was turned down it is most likely because she is a thick pig ignorant aggressive c*nt and is illiterate by her own choosing of dropping out of school before receiving a basic level of education, just like the rest of them. It’s not because they are discriminated against, it’s because they are useless by their own choice because of their so called culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sightband wrote: »
    Nice story, I’d say it’s utter bollocks unfortunately. A traveller accent for the most part sounds like any other accent where they were reared, mostly midlands.

Cash got asked why she didn’t work and she cited traveller discrimination as the reason, for some reason nobody asked her how many jobs she applied for, I’d be willing to bet it was a grand total of zero. If she was turned down it is most likely because she is a thick pig ignorant aggressive c*nt and is illiterate by her own choosing of dropping out of school before receiving a basic level of education, just like the rest of them. It’s not because they are discriminated against, it’s because they are useless by their own choice because of their so called culture.

Telling lies is like breathing to travellers so I don't believe a word of Connors story.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is that their culture means that it's always going to be very hard for them to make ends meet without resorting to handouts from the state. Or worse.

If a settled person spent their days roving the countryside, having 6 and 7 kids and left school before their junior cert I'd be saying that they're after dressing a very, very hard bed for themselves. It's no different.

She was asked a very fair question about how she was planning on managing financially with 6 kids in today's environment when most other people would struggle with 3. That became one of these questions people weren't allowed to ask her. It was very fair.

I happen to like John. I don't know why so many people have a beef with him. He was one of the only celebrities (I use that term lightly) that stayed off the baby-death wagon during the referendum.

Plus I'll bet his he's not running to the dole office begging for money from the taxpayer every week either.

On a final note gormdubhgorm, it's easy for an employer to 'discriminate' against someone without a junior cert.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

On a final note gormdubhgorm, it's easy for an employer to 'discriminate' against someone without a junior cert.

exactly, its not discrimination. it's being unqualified and fairly useless. if I had two settled people apply for a job in a newsagent say, and one had a junior cert and the other didn't, I would hire the one with the junior cert.

now if I had a traveller without a junior cert and a settled person without a junior cert, I would 100% hire the settled person as you could be guaranteed if you hired the traveller he would have the entire contents of the till in his pockets and most likely the cable and plug that its plugged into the wall with too before you could say "get the f*ck out of my shop you thieving gypsy bast*rd"...now that's discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is that their culture means that it's always going to be very hard for them to make ends meet without resorting to handouts from the state. Or worse.

If a settled person spent their days roving the countryside, having 6 and 7 kids and left school before their junior cert I'd be saying that they're after dressing a very, very hard bed for themselves. It's no different.

She was asked a very fair question about how she was planning on managing financially with 6 kids in today's environment when most other people would struggle with 3. That became one of these questions people weren't allowed to ask her. It was very fair.

I happen to like John. I don't know why so many people have a beef with him. He was one of the only celebrities (I use that term lightly) that stayed off the baby-death wagon during the referendum.

Plus I'll bet his he's not running to the dole office begging for money from the taxpayer every week either.

He has the same attitude towards Guards though calling them scum on national TV.

https://twitter.com/IrishUnity/status/1040719960467759104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Connors wanted to be a security guard ha ha.
    Fox minding the henhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

These lads are from a traveller background. I'd have no problem hiring them. This is their way out. Proper trades. They are hard grafters.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=743426142691197&id=100010714543560

I see that Facebook have restored her post about Wishing Leo a painful death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Penny's should have done a special.....

Even having cash as a customer we are so good that she believes we're a steal.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    “But there are more opportunities now to meet people in other places through Facebook and the like so it’s something that we are seeing a change in.”

I would imagine the change is minuscule

Majority of travellers will still marry travellers

Look at the attitude in the AMA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057383006&page=2

“Out of interest, why do you have no interest in marrying outside of the travelling community?”

“Because a settled man could leave you at anytime and no other man in the traveller community would look at you.”

Yet apparently that fact that you can meet people outside the community busts the 'myth'

About having kids

"I want six myself but if I have more I would be happy. My parents only had 4 kids and my partner has nine siblings."

Only had 4 .... "ONLY" .:rolleyes:

Jesus Fuc*king christ.......

If she's on the internet all day, every day why doesn't she do an online course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

If she's on the internet all day, every day why doesn't she do an online course?

lots o putn mesgs on facebuke n dat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Serious question....

How do I become a traveller? I Read that the irish ones have no different genes or bloodline to any romany tinklers etc

so how did these people gain their status?

I wouldnt mind having some of their added rights and protection that oridnary citizens dont get.

If I turn up an pauvee and ask to be one of them, would/could they refuse me?

I have never lived in a caravan but neither have 99.9% of them now, infact they all have their own houses provided free by the state.

Only concern is that I am working and dont have a criminal record, I worry I maybe rejected on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Serious question....

How do I become a traveller? I Read that the irish ones have no different genes or bloodline to any romany tinklers etc

I wouldnt mind having some of their added rights and protection that oridnary citizens dont get.

I have never lived in a caravan but neither have 99.9% of them now, infact they all have their own houses provided free by the state.

Only concern is that I am working and dont have a criminal record, I worry I maybe rejected on this

travel back 100 years and adopt the lifestyle of a tinker. simples.

Serious question....

You could just say you identify as a traveler and every liberal dimwit will bend over backwards to accommodate your every whim in exchange for facebook likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You could just say you identify as a traveler and every liberal dimwit will bend over backwards to accommodate your every whim in exchange for facebook likes

I bet they wouldn't.

travel back 100 years and adopt the lifestyle of a tinker. simples.

Leave Shane McGowan out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Serious question....

Do your cousins know about this??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement