Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Serious question....

How do I become a traveller? I Read that the irish ones have no different genes or bloodline to any romany tinklers etc

so how did these people gain their status?

I wouldnt mind having some of their added rights and protection that oridnary citizens dont get.

If I turn up an pauvee and ask to be one of them, would/could they refuse me?

I have never lived in a caravan but neither have 99.9% of them now, infact they all have their own houses provided free by the state.

Only concern is that I am working and dont have a criminal record, I worry I maybe rejected on this

Shure they'd have to accept you, to do otherwise would be racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah the I hate K****kers thread. That'll solve everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Would ya go away outta dat Matt.

You have 17 posts in this thread already! You didnt just find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

well I have no issues with travellers. I have issues with the way the majority of them choose to live.

So I would not hate all of them, just the ones that this thread highlights which would seem to be the majority. 84% is quite a common percentage when finding facts about their lifestyle choices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder was she sorting out her husband and his mates or most likely brothers with shirts from Penny's also as it seems to be all the fellas actually wear.

They look hilarious in their high viz and shirts and filth all over them from doing the oaps and their drives etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Seems poor Margaret had a feed of beers last night lol

"I feel so sick

Pain in me head is unbeliveable

Never agin"

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Seems poor Margaret had a feed of beers last night lol

"I feel so sick

Pain in me head is unbeliveable

Never agin"

I hope she’ll be ok to lead the yellow vest protest Saturday.

I'm sure she will be lol

Will anyone honestly call her out for the scam artist she is????

• Advertisement

In the media?

Nah that couldn't happen

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    In the media?

Nah that couldn't happen

She needs badly putting back in her box

Has she gotten her foreva home yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Would ya go away outta dat Matt.

You have 17 posts in this thread already! You didnt just find it now.

Matt has a revisionist view of history. Those posts weren't his, they were from the Taoiseach through his partner, also known as Matt Barrett.

Has she gotten her foreva home yet?

I don't think so

You may be sure that would be plastered all over the media

Single Homeless Mother of Seven finally gets a home just in time for Christmas

Media has gone very quiet about her though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Serious question....

How do I become a traveller? I Read that the irish ones have no different genes or bloodline to any romany tinklers etc

so how did these people gain their status?

I wouldnt mind having some of their added rights and protection that oridnary citizens dont get.

If I turn up an pauvee and ask to be one of them, would/could they refuse me?

I have never lived in a caravan but neither have 99.9% of them now, infact they all have their own houses provided free by the state.

Only concern is that I am working and dont have a criminal record, I worry I maybe rejected on this

Marry into a clan ?

Travellers have the same genetic background as the rest of the natives but they have been existed as a nomadic group for hundreds or maybe even thousands of years. Some say their numbers may have increased during the famine when millions fled the land or died. They do have a unique culture and history whatever people may think about them now they are part of Irish heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

maninasia wrote: »
    Marry into a clan ?

Travellers have the same genetic background as the rest of the natives but they have been existed as a nomadic group for hundreds or maybe even thousands of years. Some say their numbers may have increased during the famine when millions fled the land or died. They do have a unique culture and history whatever people may think about them now they are part of Irish heritage.

So our national food is Cabbage and Bacon, our National Drink is Guinness, and our National people are travelers. There is less and less to like about this country every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They do have a unique culture and history whatever people may think about them now they are part of Irish heritage.

No doubt. The pertinent question is how they fit into modern day Ireland. Not awfully well it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Wonder will she get another TV appearance on RTE tonight?

9:35PM RTÉ Investigates - Travellers, Lives on the Fringes
    A report examining the accommodation crisis facing travellers in Ireland, two years after they were recognised as a distinct ethnic group.

john4321 wrote: »

A report examining the accommodation crisis facing travellers in Ireland, two years after they were recognised as a distinct ethnic group.

Probably not I would say all their wallets were cleaned out.

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »

No mention of her in the spiel for the show anyway. Can't see how RTE cut her out of this totally though, even with people realising what she really is.

This I don't get. Travellers are homeless by definition, no? Isn't it in the name? I'm sorry, while I disagree with the awarding of ethnic status I do feel they have a culture of their own, but this seems to be blurring that and boiling it down to 'different but not different', depending.

This I don't get. Travellers are homeless by definition, no? Isn't it in the name? I'm sorry, while I disagree with the awarding of ethnic status I do feel they have a culture of their own, but this seems to be blurring that and boiling it down to 'different but not different', depending.

Refusal to adapt to modern society, with all its new fangled rules and such, has led to those who want to "travel" only being able to "settle" in proper (government built and approved) halting sites. Unfortunately they can't seem to find the money to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

This is slightly off topic its just from an article i read

It said there is over 10k people homeless
    And over 70k on HAP
    Both growing by the week

And then there is the private renters who get no help at all . Prob around 50k of them
    Will these people on HAP still be on it when they are retired ?

Its going to be one big sh!tshow in around 20 years. We think the crisis is bad now

This is slightly off topic its just from an article i read

It said there is over 10k people homeless
    And over 70k on HAP
    Both growing by the week

And then there is the private renters who get no help at all . Prob around 50k of them
    Will these people on HAP still be on it when they are retired ?

Its going to be one big sh!tshow in around 20 years. We think the crisis is bad now

Instead of tackling the housing crisis we, the tax payer, are funding rental aid schemes, buyers grants and hotels for 'emergencies'. This is simply because FF/FG don't want to cut into the private profits of vulture funds and their other backers by building too many affordable or social housing units. People can't afford a roof, so instead of the market having to lower pricing to meet affordability, the tax payer is bringing up the difference. It'll all collapse soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The last crash was a glorious opportunity to put things right fiscally. They could have blamed the IMF even, who don't have to worry about elections here.

It was completely missed.

Ireland may become another Greece in time if the multinational biggies get itchy feet. It'll make 1916 look like a little push and shove when an Irish govt has to turn around in the late 2020s and tell lifetime dolers, sick people, and pensioners that their money simply isn't there...Dublin will burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

*eye roll*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Just an aside on their ethnicity.

i thought it was in law, its not. The government have recognised travellers as a different ethnic group (to the rest of us) but its not in law. In law they are just Irish. Can you then be racist if you say all travellers are criminals as legally they don't have a different race to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Just an aside on their ethnicity.

i thought it was in law, its not. The government have recognised travellers as a different ethnic group (to the rest of us) but its not in law. In law they are just Irish. Can you then be racist if you say all travellers are criminals as legally they don't have a different race to us.

They are specifically mentioned under the Equal Status Act. So it can be seen as discrimination/hate speech. There's no 'Ant-Racism' Act as such, it's all covered under the Equal Status Act and Incitement to Hatred Act.

*eye roll*

So my calling out hatred and my comment on the RTE homelessness report...something something? Do tell Mr. Eyeroll.

• Advertisement

So my calling out hatred and my comment on the RTE homelessness report...something something? Do tell Mr. Eyeroll.

Just seems strange that you'd be still bothering to post in an 'I hate kna*kers thread'. The one that you just discovered earlier on today.

Calling out hatred. Classic :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Marry into a clan ?

there's little evidence for their separateness before the Famine. Most of our ancestors were itinerant or semi-itinerant at one time or another, due to migrant labour, evictions or shortage of land

Does cash know of this thread ....

I would love to hear her thoughts and see her replies to all the posts.......

I would really enjoy the laugh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Does cash know of this thread ....

I would love to hear her thoughts and see her replies to all the posts.......

I would really enjoy the laugh....

There's too much punctuation and correct spelling here, she'd not get far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Benefit caps are needed for child benefit payments limited to 2 x children in a persons lifetime and a shift to building single- 2 bed social housing only. It’ll stop the constant breeding of children like cattle/assets. Maximum of 4 years lone parent and after that Jobseeker’s Allowance. Child benefit linked to school attendance after the age of 4 and paid by the department of education instead. Deductions for school materials and supplies spread throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Benefit caps are needed for child benefit payments limited to 2 x children in a persons lifetime. Child benefit linked to school attendance after the age of 4 and paid by the department of education instead. Deductions for school materials and supplies spread throughout the year.

Personally I would go much further. I would cut child benefit in half, and have the other 70 euro per month (840 per child per year) go direct into the education system (not on salaries). This additional money would mean that we have proper free education for all children in the public system and the schools would not be permitted to request money from parents for anything - including books, copies, laptops, uniforms (each child should be allocated two uniforms at the start of the academic year) etc. Also would mean no voluntary contribution and no fund raising also.

It would be the classic - would you pay more tax for better services discussion - and the people who benefit are the people who are paying for it.

In addition, I would cap it at 2 children - pushing it to 3, and 100% agree with linking it to school attendance. Miss more than 10 days school in a year, the benefit is frozen subject to a review...

Just seems strange that you'd be still bothering to post in an 'I hate kna*kers thread'. The one that you just discovered earlier on today.

Calling out hatred. Classic :pac: :pac: :pac:

Aw man, you really sh*t the bed on that one. Do you even know what your point is at this stage?
    If you misunderstood one of my comments, own it. We've all done it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Benefit caps are needed for child benefit payments limited to 2 x children in a persons lifetime and a shift to building single- 2 bed social housing only. It’ll stop the constant breeding of children like cattle/assets. Maximum of 4 years lone parent and after that Jobseeker’s Allowance. Child benefit linked to school attendance after the age of 4 and paid by the department of education instead. Deductions for school materials and supplies spread throughout the year.

Agreed on the children's allowance side.
    I've have zero tolerance on fraud with job seekers and police it. Then we'd not need a cap on time spent and wouldn't have to hear the spongers crapola every time the squeezed middle FG voter needs a scapegoat to justify being a FG voter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Capping children's allowance wouldn't stop people like Cash having kids. She's not the brightest spark. Also would just mean judges are even more lenient when they're caught shoplifting etc as they'll use the lack of money as an excuse.
    Forcing trav women to stay in school might help, and maybe paying for them to go to college. But then I don't think the men would be too happy with them getting experience in the real world, so that wont work either.

• Advertisement

Aw man, you really sh*t the bed on that one. Do you even know what your point is at this stage?
    If you misunderstood one of my comments, own it. We've all done it. You're embarrassing yourself.

No I understand it just fine you're a crusader of the oppressed and calling us all out on our depraved bigotry.

When you say embarrassing do you kind of mean like pretending you suddenly discovered a thread to go off on a crusade on, but have actually been posting on the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

Lucky for her, we're a soft touch in this land. Could imagine how far she'd get in Russia or China. Scam artist

No I understand it just fine you're a crusader of the oppressed and calling us all out on our depraved bigotry.

When you say embarrassing do you kind of mean like pretending you suddenly discovered a thread to go off on a crusade on, but have actually been posting on the whole time?

I pointed out there was a lot of negative anti-traveller comments in the pages running up to my comment. Then I later posted on the RTE report re homelessness.
    You accused me of only finding the thread now you're aware I've been posting on it sometime that's an issue for you.

What's your point boss?
    Maybe your thanker buddy can enlighten both of us?
    You're threading water horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Capping children's allowance wouldn't stop people like Cash having kids. She's not the brightest spark. Also would just mean judges are even more lenient when they're caught shoplifting etc as they'll use the lack of money as an excuse.
    Forcing trav women to stay in school might help, and maybe paying for them to go to college. But then I don't think the men would be too happy with them getting experience in the real world, so that wont work either.

More cop out thoughts ... in no other country can you have ten children and get children’s allowance for every one of them ... and then the ten are having another ten after getting married at 18 ... and none of the 100 will do a days work ??
    We should all be travellers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hurler32 wrote: »
    More cop out thoughts ... in no other country can you have ten children and get children’s allowance for every one of them ... and then the ten are having another ten after getting married at 18 ... and none of the 100 will do a days work ??
    We should all be travellers !!

Why wait till their 18? Get the kids preggers good and early and you'll be able to claim for your kid and your grandkid at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

This is what gets to me when it comes to discussing Travellers and people who automatically defend them. We're constantly told they are disadvantaged and discriminated against and Settled Native people are to blame but that's not true. They are not bared from accessing education, housing or medical care. It's their own culture that puts them at a disadvantage. They can't get employment because they leave school early, a lot without even the Junior Cert. It's rare that a Native Irish person doesn't finish the Leaving Cert. They don't want to mix with/marry Native people. I'll put my hands up and admit that many of them probably do find it hard to enter a pub or book a hotel for a wedding but why is that? It's because the venues are afraid of the destruction they may cause, which is disproportionate to the rest of the population.

In the last 30 years Ireland has seen an infux of people from all over the world, all of whom are managing to integrate. We see mixed race children in our schools, which shows that non nationals are mixing with Irish. How many mixed race Traveller children do you see? Very few to none is my guess. So Travellers don't mix with Native Irish or non nationals. Yet according to them, they are not the problem. They are not the racists. They are a downtrodden minority that no one looks out for. It's not their fault they have to rob €300 worth of clothes from Penneys because the Gubberment won't give them a forever home with enough bedrooms for the kids and stables for the horses.

Native Irish and non nationals all have a criminal and sponge-off-the-Gubberment element but no other section of Irish society has such a high percentage doing so and even the most liberal crusader can't deny that. Well I suppose they can, which is what irks people and is why Peter Casey went from 1% to 20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I pointed out there was a lot of negative anti-traveller comments in the pages running up to my comment. Then I later posted on the RTE report re homelessness.
    You accused me of only finding the thread now you're aware I've been posting on it sometime that's an issue for you.

What's your point boss?
    Maybe your thanker buddy can enlighten both of us?
    You're threading water horse.

I have corrected the many errors in your posts countless times, but you appear to ignore them and keep repeating the same falsehoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Anyone watching RTE1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Anyone watching RTE1?

Asking all the tough questions as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone watching RTE1?

Peter Casey being prooved right again, just like when he said 5G was the solution to rural broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We need them, we're waiting for our houses.

I'm waiting for my spilt-level in the Whitsunday Islands but its all radio silence. Strange....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement