Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I pointed out there was a lot of negative anti-traveller comments in the pages running up to my comment. Then I later posted on the RTE report re homelessness.
    You accused me of only finding the thread now you're aware I've been posting on it sometime that's an issue for you.

What's your point boss?
    Maybe your thanker buddy can enlighten both of us?
    You're threading water horse.

I know you've been posting all the while because I've the dross with my own two eyes.

Then for some reason you were shocked to come across a 'kna*ker bashing thread' or something to that effect. A thread that by your own admission, you'd been posting on all along.

And then again in a bizzarre turn of events you decided to post yet again in the same thread. No one is forcing you to stay.

Make your mind up man.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LEL
    RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that:

(a) all news broadcast is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views.

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate, is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views, except that should it prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other.

Whether its worth complaining to the BAI is another question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s gas that the 2 families who ‘can’t’ live side by side with each other were happy to join forces and jointly protest the councils vote on whether they should live close to each other or not!

Any chance they could join forces again and collectively decide not to assault/intimidate/attack each other and try to live in peace and harmony at the fantastic new facility that’s being given to them at absolutely no cost to them whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

LEL

Whether its worth complaining to the BAI is another question.

This was the reply I got back from RTE after the Peter Casey interview.

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email regarding The Late Late Show of 2nd November 2018 which has been passed on to me for reply.

You write about the interview with Mr. Peter Casey, the former Presidential candidate who was a guest on that date following his achievement of receiving over 340,000 votes in the Presidential election the week before.

For context it should be remembered that Mr. Casey’s comments regarding the Travelling community on October 17 lead to condemnation, not only by the Travelling community but also by the other candidates in the Presidential race and by a number of politicians of various hues, including An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar.

Therefore, I believe that it was entirely correct that such comments should be examined and challenged by those directly affected and as such we conducted the interview with Mr. Casey on that basis.

To be clear, Mr. Casey was not “ambushed” by The Late Late Show. RTÉ refers to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) in its Code of Fairness, Objectivity and Impartiality in News and Current Affairs, Rule 4 which states:

“In the normal course of events, interviewees for news and current affairs content shall generally be made aware of the subject matter and the nature and format of their contribution, so that their agreement to participate constitutes informed consent.”

In this instance, Mr. Casey and his team were fully aware that his comments regarding Travellers would be a substantial part of the interview. He was fully informed in advance of the show not just that representatives would be in the audience but he was also given the names of the representatives of the Travelling community who would ask him questions.

Mr Casey agreed to proceed with the interview on that basis. His participation was fully compliant with the requirement for “informed consent.”

The interview itself was over 26 minutes long which is far longer than most segments on the Late Late Show, specifically to address the other issues Mr. Casey wanted to talk about, including his own background, his views on the Irish welfare state, his political ambition and his views on Fianna Fáil.

The interview was conducted in a robust manner with both Mr. Casey and Mr. Tubridy at times interrupting each other. This is sometimes the nature of live discussion and television debate.

Given the discussions with Mr. Casey and his team outlining the proposed interview and the amount of time given to him to address both the issues he wished to discuss and the more controversial comments which had caused controversy in the week leading up to the Presidential election, I am fully confident that the interview was entirely properly conducted.

RTÉ also draws attention to Rule 22 of the BAI Code of Fairness, Objectivity and Impartiality in News and Current Affairs:

“It is an important part of the role of a presenter of a current affairs programme to ensure the audience has access to a wide variety of views on the subject of the programme or item; to facilitate the expression of contributors’ opinions – sometimes by forceful questioning; and to reflect the views of those who cannot, or choose not to, participate in content.”

The interview was entirely compliant with these principles with the presenter correctly playing the role of ‘devil’s advocate’ in order to elucidate Mr Casey’s views on several issues.

While The Late Late Show is primarily an entertainment show it has a long history of covering topical news and current affairs issues that are of national importance.

The interview with Mr Casey was one such item and RTÉ is fully satisfied that it complied fully with all the relevant legislative and regulatory Codes.

Thank you for watching and for taking the time to write to us with your views. They are appreciated and valued.

If any member of the public is of the opinion that a programme or segment of a programme broadcast on RTÉ has breached a provision of Section 39(1)(a), (b), (d) or (e) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 or failed to comply with a provision of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Codes and is not satisfied with RTɒs response they are entitled to make a complaint to the BAI. Information on codes and on the complaints procedure can be found on the BAI website at http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/.

Yours Sincerely,

xxx xxxxxxx

Executive Producer

Late Late Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Can anyone remember an RTE documentary about travellers around 10 years ago? I think a good bit was about violence in Mullingar. I wouldn't mind watching if I could get my hands on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Genuine question, do people pay rent or anything similar to live on a fully setup site with facilities etc?

There is clearly a massive problem in Ireland with people expecting everything to be handed to them on a plate without being willing to contribute anything whatsoever. A primary example of this is the name in this thread.

I am what I would consider a left wing really liberal person, but enough is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Spare a thought for the heroes from the council who have to go out and confront them in order to uphold civility and rule of law that protects the rest of us.
    They do that on a normal council salary. They get up every day and have to go out to confront these people in the name of law and order that protects the rest of our rights.
    They get little thanks for it so if any are reading this I say thank you. I imagine it is not easy and there is no one making a documentary about how difficult it must be for you too.

Spare a thought for the heroes from the council who have to go out and confront them in order to uphold civility and rule of law that protects the rest of us.
    They do that on a normal council salary. They get up every day and have to go out to confront these people in the name of law and order that protects the rest of our rights.
    They get little thanks for it so if any are reading this I say thank you. I imagine it is not easy and there is no one making a documentary about how difficult it must be for you too.
    I totally agree people like that were not given any voice whatsoever in this programme. Could you imagine the crap they have to deal with!?

If this was a programme on any other topic and it was so poorly balanced in its subjects there would be a massive outcry.

This program is insane. Everything is take take take.

Attacking councils for not spending their full Traveller accommodation budget. I'd be more inclined to ask why is there any such a thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

gmisk wrote: »
    I am what I would consider a left wing really liberal person, but enough is enough.
    I used to be the leftiest - if I can see the reality, anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

My sister is one of those council workers. She's lucky in that she only has to deal with them on the phone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

This program is insane. Everything is take take take.

Attacking councils for not spending their full Traveller accommodation budget. I'd be more inclined to ask why is there any such a thing at all.

There is a whole department dedicated to travellers in the council I work for. Four or five people solely dedicated to travellers.
    Also a traveller housing clinic twice a week in the council offices.
    So happy I wasn't placed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I used to be the leftiest - if I can see the reality, anyone can.

Leftists love anyone who upsets the middle class

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Leftists love anyone who upsets the middle class
    I'm genuinely totally lost can you give me an example? Can you also not be both?

I'm genuinely totally lost can you give me an example? Can you also not be both?
    What they mean I think are those people like Paul Murphy. And yes, despite being middle-class themselves. The self loathing is strong.

• Advertisement

What they mean I think are those people like Paul Murphy. And yes, despite being middle-class themselves. The self loathing is strong.
    Ahhh OK get you thanks.
    Paul Murphy that mouthpiece zzz.

john4321 wrote: »
    This was the reply I got back from RTE after the Peter Casey interview.

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email regarding The Late Late Show of 2nd November 2018 which has been passed on to me for reply.

You write about the interview with Mr. Peter Casey, the former Presidential candidate who was a guest on that date following his achievement of receiving over 340,000 votes in the Presidential election the week before.

For context it should be remembered that Mr. Casey’s comments regarding the Travelling community on October 17 lead to condemnation, not only by the Travelling community but also by the other candidates in the Presidential race and by a number of politicians of various hues, including An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar.

Therefore, I believe that it was entirely correct that such comments should be examined and challenged by those directly affected and as such we conducted the interview with Mr. Casey on that basis.

To be clear, Mr. Casey was not “ambushed” by The Late Late Show. RTÉ refers to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) in its Code of Fairness, Objectivity and Impartiality in News and Current Affairs, Rule 4 which states:

“In the normal course of events, interviewees for news and current affairs content shall generally be made aware of the subject matter and the nature and format of their contribution, so that their agreement to participate constitutes informed consent.”

In this instance, Mr. Casey and his team were fully aware that his comments regarding Travellers would be a substantial part of the interview. He was fully informed in advance of the show not just that representatives would be in the audience but he was also given the names of the representatives of the Travelling community who would ask him questions.

Mr Casey agreed to proceed with the interview on that basis. His participation was fully compliant with the requirement for “informed consent.”

The interview itself was over 26 minutes long which is far longer than most segments on the Late Late Show, specifically to address the other issues Mr. Casey wanted to talk about, including his own background, his views on the Irish welfare state, his political ambition and his views on Fianna Fáil.

The interview was conducted in a robust manner with both Mr. Casey and Mr. Tubridy at times interrupting each other. This is sometimes the nature of live discussion and television debate.

Given the discussions with Mr. Casey and his team outlining the proposed interview and the amount of time given to him to address both the issues he wished to discuss and the more controversial comments which had caused controversy in the week leading up to the Presidential election, I am fully confident that the interview was entirely properly conducted.

RTÉ also draws attention to Rule 22 of the BAI Code of Fairness, Objectivity and Impartiality in News and Current Affairs:

“It is an important part of the role of a presenter of a current affairs programme to ensure the audience has access to a wide variety of views on the subject of the programme or item; to facilitate the expression of contributors’ opinions – sometimes by forceful questioning; and to reflect the views of those who cannot, or choose not to, participate in content.”

The interview was entirely compliant with these principles with the presenter correctly playing the role of ‘devil’s advocate’ in order to elucidate Mr Casey’s views on several issues.

While The Late Late Show is primarily an entertainment show it has a long history of covering topical news and current affairs issues that are of national importance.

The interview with Mr Casey was one such item and RTÉ is fully satisfied that it complied fully with all the relevant legislative and regulatory Codes.

Thank you for watching and for taking the time to write to us with your views. They are appreciated and valued.

If any member of the public is of the opinion that a programme or segment of a programme broadcast on RTÉ has breached a provision of Section 39(1)(a), (b), (d) or (e) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 or failed to comply with a provision of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Codes and is not satisfied with RTɒs response they are entitled to make a complaint to the BAI. Information on codes and on the complaints procedure can be found on the BAI website at http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/.

Yours Sincerely,

xxx xxxxxxx

Executive Producer

Late Late Show

"For context it should be remembered that Mr. Casey’s comments regarding the Travelling community on October 17 lead to condemnation, not only by the Travelling community but also by the other candidates in the Presidential race and by a number of politicians of various hues, including An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar."

So what? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

"For context it should be remembered that Mr. Casey’s comments regarding the Travelling community on October 17 lead to condemnation, not only by the Travelling community but also by the other candidates in the Presidential race and by a number of politicians of various hues, including An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar."

So what? :confused:

Just for context my initial complaint was:

"I tuned in tonight to watch what was suppose to be an interview by your presenter with Peter Casey but the presenters approach to the interview was disgraceful. Mr Casey was not allowed to make his point without the presenter interrupting in a manor I have never witnessed before.

The days of open debate by RTE seems to be long over. "

So many of the tweets with the #RTEinvestigates hashtag are utterly astounding. If I didn't know better I'd assume they were satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Feel sorry for the guy who after letting them stay in the field over the weekend was then faced with a bill of over 5 thousand euro to clean up after them. Incidentally.....why did people have to constantly clean up after them ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There are reasons Travellers are hated (I don't use the term lightly) in this country by the vast majority of the population - sure there is the small but vocal percentage who will talk sh!te and all the rest - but the vast majority would never live next or near Travellers.

RTE would be best served telling the truth, genuine public service broadcasting. By pretending we are all stupid and don't know the reality with travellers is insulting and harms RTE as a trusted broadcaster.

How many RTE staffers would willingly live next to travellers? - none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The show by RTE last night was so easy to see how this is definitely a very own agenda ran station and a long hard think about the licence must be taken.

Also last night on Virgin 3 I think ,cant pay won't pay was showing an eviction from a warehouse in England of some Irish travellers. It was very hard to watch, they stoned and threw bottles till the police arrived and then left. What they left behind was unbelievable. Piles of rubbish, human waste, jobs waste, nappies, old vehicles the list goes on . The inside of the warehouse was left without a pane of glass and anything worth value was taken. It was said it would take thousands to leave right.

The question is why are the people who do this just let drive off as if nothing was done. All councils are steady trying to prosecute fly tippers but this minority are accountable for nothing as far as I see. They add nothing but misery to any place they inhabit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There are reasons Travellers are hated (I don't use the term lightly) in this country by the vast majority of the population - sure there is the small but vocal percentage who will talk sh!te and all the rest - but the vast majority would never live next or near Travellers.

RTE would be best served telling the truth, genuine public service broadcasting. By pretending we are all stupid and don't know the reality with travellers is insulting and harms RTE as a trusted broadcaster.

How many RTE staffers would willingly live next to travellers? - none.

I really dislike using "hate" when referring to another person or group, but with travellers...

In all my years, I've yet to have a positive experience with a traveller. Persumably i've had positive experience with ones i didnt know were travellers. So what maketh a traveller? To me its behavioural rather than ethnic.

So what does the future hold? Do we want to preserve traveller "culture" and if so, what is it?

Or do we want to improve education rates, health and wellbeing, career choices, better integrate travellers into society, effectively "detraveller" travellers. Would a second/ third generation person be regarded as a traveller, and why?

or should we (tax payers / wider society) be expected to just facilitate this nomadic lifestyle, heavily dependent on state supports, with all the negative sterotypes and anti social behaviour we enjoy. To even question it, making you intolerant or a "racist"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Two things should be taken from that documentary last night.
    1. Stop having so many kids if you cant afford them
    2. Stop it with the incredible amount of entitlement

That's everyone, not just travellers.

I didn't hate it as much as some but lets be honest, it was one-sided and any mention of negative behaviour was not questioned or followed up. They also cherry-picked the travellers. Would have liked to see RTE concentrate on the travellers who ruined that man's field and cost him 5 grand instead of the one who cleaned his sh*t up.

BBFAN wrote: »
    And Ms Cash is responsible for this ****show how?
    BBFAN wrote: »
    Again? What has any of this got do with Ms Cash?

Have to love how you ignore the answers you got in search of the one you were hoping for.
    Generic Traveller-bashing thread.

Congrats! That's the 600th time that has been posted in this thread! You win life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Fair enough, I just saw this thread and thought it was OK to comment.

You're way off line here. I'm a left leaning liberal and generally steer clear of any bashing threads but to say some of the stuff in that programme wasn't proposterous is completely wrong.

It's perfectly clear to any sane person that the traveler culture as it stands is broken. All it is producing is alarming rates of generational poverty, deprivation, and exclusion.

The left and liberals need to have the courage to start showing a third way, for want of a better word. Not bigotry, nor the ridiculous, middle class parlour game of tokenistic respect for this 'culture' but to confront (and help) it meaningfully.

You actually think you're helping the traveler community with your disruptive points of order and political grandstanding but all you and other liberals are doing are perpetuating the mess that exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

in fairness travellers themselves do most of the traveller bashing. Both literally and figuratively in terms of their monumental levels if criminality and antisocial behaviour. People don't lick these opinions of travellers off the stones, the root cause of the enmity is travellers own culture particularly over the last 20 years in which the community has been allowed to spiral completely out of control. I remember watching Into the West as a kid and being drawn to the two young lads and feeling heartbroken for Gabriel Byrne. Things haven't always been this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well this is Margaret's take on things from 23:28 last night even though the spelling is too good to come from Margaret

" Here is the list that you might find on social media, the onliners, animal lovers and none of them are racist

1. it's their own fault
    2. take the children from them
    3. force them into schools
    4. force them to become "normal like everyone else"
    5. look at the caravans and cars etc
    6. the poor animals they must be suffering
    7. why have so many children
    8. look at the state that "they" left the nice man's place
    9. stop the feuding
    10. get jobs like everyone else

10 steps to know how utterly stupid you might be.
    That way of thinking isn't helping anyone and it only creates generations of exclusion, tensions, stress, suicide and the Settled community still feels that we should be more like "everyone else", who is everyone else?, is this what happens when "everyone else" doesn't get "their" way? "

What a laughable post. Sure it's all the settled peoples fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

11. Request that they work and pay tax

KrustyUCC wrote: »

A f*ckin joke.

• Advertisement

Well this is Margaret's take on things from 23:28 last night even though the spelling is too good to come from Margaret

" Here is the list that you might find on social media, the onliners, animal lovers and none of them are racist

1. it's their own fault
    2. take the children from them
    3. force them into schools
    4. force them to become "normal like everyone else"
    5. look at the caravans and cars etc
    6. the poor animals they must be suffering
    7. why have so many children
    8. look at the state that "they" left the nice man's place
    9. stop the feuding
    10. get jobs like everyone else

10 steps to know how utterly stupid you might be.
    That way of thinking isn't helping anyone and it only creates generations of exclusion, tensions, stress, suicide and the Settled community still feels that we should be more like "everyone else", who is everyone else?, is this what happens when "everyone else" doesn't get "their" way? "

Those f**king Amish again :mad:

Nobody should explain themselves to someone who just posts "generic traveller bashing thread" - which is of course a generic comment in and of itself.

The liberal in me feels to an extent that travellers are shaped by their environment, they're so entrenched in this outlook, it's not easy to break out of it etc (not the violence and crime but the welfare dependence and victimhood) - what really frustrates me are the folk who deny this reality. Same with mass immigration.

I get that people don't want to say things that will spread hatred, but there's a line - there comes a point where what is right in front of you has to be acknowledged. Pretending otherwise is what led to the sex abuse rings in the UK being left to fester for so long. And it's gone past the point of worrying about hatred - the hatred is there already, compounded by the frustration caused by the denial of these problems and the condemnation of criticism, by middle-class folk who will never have to deal with these awful problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody should explain themselves to someone who just posts "generic traveller bashing thread" - which is of course a generic comment in and of itself.

The liberal in me feels to an extent that travellers are shaped by their environment, they're so entrenched in this outlook, it's not easy to break out of it etc (not the violence and crime but the welfare dependence and victimhood) - what really frustrates me are the folk who deny this reality. Same with mass immigration.

I get that people don't want to say things that will spread hatred, but there's a line - there comes a point where what is right in front of you has to be acknowledged. Pretending otherwise is what led to the sex abuse rings in the UK being left to fester for so long. And it's gone past the point of worrying about hatred - the hatred is there already, compounded by the frustration caused by the denial of these problems and the condemnation of criticism, by middle-class folk who will never have to deal with these awful problems.

Yes, some people are victims of the Traveller culture.

If you were taken out of school at 12, married to a cousin at 15, turned into a baby factory for a decade, subjected to a drunken violent husband who spent several stints in jail, unsupported by your family who expect you to stay with him, unsupported financially by the layabout husband, indulged with free money and free stuff from the government, would you turn out much different from Margaret Cash?

The real crime is traveller culture. There is nothing positive to traveller culture anymore. Centuries ago, it was a noble culture, early recyclers, even upcyclers, who helped genetic diversity through travelling. What is left is a sad parody of that noble past. A culture of criminality, of lack of education, of misogyny and homophobia, of dependency on others, etc. Nothing noble left, nothing worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What was the name of the programme last night? I don't have tv but I want to check YouTube for highlights. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

There's no way she created that post, no way at all

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    What was the name of the programme last night? I don't have tv but I want to check YouTube for highlights. Thanks.
    You're a sadomasochist - I didn't watch it but I am reading comments here which are enough to boil my blood. It's RTE Investigates - try their Player, likely to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

jay0109 wrote: »
    There's no way she created that post, no way at all

Not a chance, she can't spell for ****, everyone has seen her facebook posts. The media lying through their teeth expecting everyone to believe as usual.

Someone needs to call RTE or whoever it is out on that, it's insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not a chance, she can't spell for ****, everyone has seen her facebook posts. The media lying through their teeth expecting everyone to believe as usual.

Someone needs to call RTE or whoever it is out on that, it's insulting.

She copied it from another person on facebook, Bernard Sweeney(Minceir activist, political activist, human rights activist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also last night on Virgin 3 I think ,cant pay won't pay was showing an eviction from a warehouse in England of some Irish travellers. It was very hard to watch, they stoned and threw bottles till the police arrived and then left. What they left behind was unbelievable. Piles of rubbish, human waste, jobs waste, nappies, old vehicles the list goes on .

It is often the Amish going into campsites and leaving piles of rubbish, human waste, jobs waste, nappies and old vehicles there. Wait, or is it the settled people doing that. I think I'm getting my ridiculous lies facts mixed up.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2018/1217/1017612-travellers-in-local-authorities-data/

You'd have to be some special kind of lying obnoxious deludanoid to say that people who want an end to the horrendous criminality and self entitlement are "forcing" their culture on people for being different. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The left and liberals need to have the courage to start showing a third way, for want of a better word. Not bigotry, nor the ridiculous, middle class parlour game of tokenistic respect for this 'culture' but to confront (and help) it meaningfully.

You actually think you're helping the traveler community with your disruptive points of order and political grandstanding but all you and other liberals are doing are perpetuating the mess that exists.

Excellent post.

The bedrock principle of liberalism is fairness.

No liberal should respect a culture that won't educate its children and that turns its girls into child brides. That's profoundly unfair to those kids, who are deprived of an education and thus a job and productive future. It's not fair to girls, who are turned into baby-making factories while still in their teens. And it's not fair to the working taxpayer, who has to support out-of-control families with seven and eight kids and unemployed parents, when many people can't afford even one child of their own.

Also, no liberal should respect a culture in which welfare fraud and tax evasion are rife, and which the mentality is always "take, take, take." That's not fairness -- it's exploitation.

Liberals should also uphold the values of tolerance and respect. No liberal should respect a culture that condones (and even celebrates) violence, criminality, and feuding, where settled people are seen as targets.

No genuine liberal should see Traveller culture as anything other than dysfunctional, fundamentally broken, and entirely out of whack with the 21st century.

Many seem to fall into the trap of believing that any "marginal culture" must be championed and defended. But not all cultures deserve respect. Those which are backward, violent, misogynistic, and grossly irresponsible should not be respected or tolerated. That's the basic fact that so-called "liberal" Traveller apologists always seem to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/couple-forced-spend-second-christmas-caravan-naas/262529

"forced to live in a caravan" - were already offered a house but refused it, they don't like stairs...

I guess it is the robbin gubberments fault, should build more bungalows to give away for free...

mloc123 wrote: »
    https://www.kildarenow.com/news/couple-forced-spend-second-christmas-caravan-naas/262529

"forced to live in a caravan" - were already offered a house but refused it, they don't like stairs...

I guess it is the robbin gubberments fault, should build more bungalows to give away for free...

That one article really wraps it up nicely. Feud, entitlement and a new one on me, fear of stairs :confused:

Margaret Cash actually shared that story

"We just want a home like everybody else, especially at Christmas time."

hmmmm you would have one if you accepted the one in Castledermot or stayed in the one in Athy

Also interesting is that Margaret said that they had to move out of their home in Athy two years ago after they were both injured in a feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The line that always gets me.... "We just want a home, like everybody else"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They had to leave their last house because of a feud and have already turned down one house because it has stairs. You couldn't make this up.

The line that always gets me.... "We just want a home, like everybody else"

One for everybody in the audience type thing. That would be great. I could spend my savings on something a bit more fun if the gaff came for free.

No such thing as beggars can't be choosers though

"Both told the Kildare Post they suffer from health issues: James has bad circulation and is on medication for depression.

Margaret has asthma and believes the dampness in the caravan doesn't help the condition."

Yet The couple said they were offered a home by Kildare Co Council in the past in Castledermot but they turned it down. "It had a stairs in it and I don't like stairs so we said we couldn't move there," said Margaret.

Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The likes of rte and other champagne socialists find any sort of counter mainstream groups exotic, most journalists are big student union types

That means despising the bourgeois

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement