Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are reasons Travellers are hated (I don't use the term lightly) in this country by the vast majority of the population - sure there is the small but vocal percentage who will talk sh!te and all the rest - but the vast majority would never live next or near Travellers.

RTE would be best served telling the truth, genuine public service broadcasting. By pretending we are all stupid and don't know the reality with travellers is insulting and harms RTE as a trusted broadcaster.

How many RTE staffers would willingly live next to travellers? - none.

It's meant to be insulting, rte hold middle Ireland in complete contempt, they gush over travellers and ignore the criminality because it gets up the nose of average tax payers.

Excellent post.

The bedrock principle of liberalism is fairness.

No liberal should respect a culture that won't educate its children and that turns its girls into child brides. That's profoundly unfair to those kids, who are deprived of an education and thus a job and productive future. It's not fair to girls, who are turned into baby-making factories while still in their teens. And it's not fair to the working taxpayer, who has to support out-of-control families with seven and eight kids and unemployed parents, when many people can't afford even one child of their own.

Also, no liberal should respect a culture in which welfare fraud and tax evasion are rife, and which the mentality is always "take, take, take." That's not fairness -- it's exploitation.

Liberals should also uphold the values of tolerance and respect. No liberal should respect a culture that condones (and even celebrates) violence, criminality, and feuding, where settled people are seen as targets.

No genuine liberal should see Traveller culture as anything other than dysfunctional, fundamentally broken, and entirely out of whack with the 21st century.

Many seem to fall into the trap of believing that any "marginal culture" must be championed and defended. But not all cultures deserve respect. Those which are backward, violent, misogynistic, and grossly irresponsible should not be respected or tolerated. That's the basic fact that so-called "liberal" Traveller apologists always seem to miss.

The PC left have quite a number of sacred cow groups and travellers are one of them.

If you are a sacred cow of the PC Liberal left, any kind of behaviour and customs ( mysogony, tax evasion, racism) which would otherwise have RTE and PBP roaring with indignation, are instead excused or simply denied to exist

As such we have an utterly insidious false and dishonest narative surrounding this issue which does nothing to improve the lot of travellers and agrivates the rest of us who are asked to believe complete BS as official wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

My pet hate is everyone being called bigots or racists - I'm neither, I'm just fed up to the back teeth with criminal layabouts demanding something for nothing and knowing they will never contribute to the pot. I don't care if you're a traveller or not, if you sit on your hole moaning about the government or hospital waiting lists, etc, I have zero time for you. Get a job, contribute to society in some way be it working , voluntary work, etc. Do something useful and stop bringing children into the world that you can't feed, clothe or educate - to me that is child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

mloc123 wrote: »
    The line that always gets me.... "We just want a home, like everybody else"
    That sums up the mentality - want to live in a house like everyone in Irish society but still want to be considered a separate group to protect the "culture" of leaving school, dodging tax paying employment and claiming benefits for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Do they f**k. "Everyone else" understands that their homes have to be paid for.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That sums up the mentality - want to live in a house like everyone in Irish society but still want to be considered a separate group to protect the "culture" of leaving school, dodging tax paying employment and claiming benefits for life.

Anyone who has ever dealt with travellers knows that compromise is an alien concept to them, John Connors is constantly outraged that he cannot roam the countryside while at the same time not be without anything regular workers have

They want it all their way and the left have painted this petulance as one of the great human rights causes of the age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would like my own home but
    1) I can't afford one and I need to avail of methods to earn more money to be able to afford one
    2) I know that having children is very costly and this will dis-improve my chances of having my own home. It would also be a very negative experience for such children being brought up in a place where I just rent the room and use the kitchen.
    3) Although I feel that over the top government interference in regulating the market has created a tough environment for people like myself to have my own home, I see people of my own age and background with their own homes, therefore I don't exclusively blame the government for my woes.

So in summary:
    I should have worked harder in school and applied myself more in the Working environment.
    Practising safe sex still gives me the ability to turn things around.
    I would like to see less governmental regulations
    in terms of building but I know that it is in my own hands to change my life circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do they f**k. "Everyone else" understands that their homes have to be paid for.
    There are a lot more than travellers who feel they entitled to a home - of a certain specification, in the area if their choosing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There are reasons Travellers are hated (I don't use the term lightly) in this country by the vast majority of the population

the vast majority of the population?
    the "reasons" travelers are "hated" is i'd suspect, the same "reasons" other minority groups were so in the past, with the genuine issues that are in the community used to perpetuate the "hatred"
    sure there is the small but vocal percentage who will talk sh!te and all the rest - but the vast majority would never live next or near Travellers.

are you sure about that? have you asked them?
    RTE would be best served telling the truth, genuine public service broadcasting.

it is telling the truth. i understand you only want to be told what you want to hear but to be frank, that's your issue. the job of public service broadcasting is to give the facts whether people like them or not, and for the most part, that is what rte do.
    By pretending we are all stupid and don't know the reality with travellers is insulting and harms RTE as a trusted broadcaster.

given that doesn't happen, then rte's reputation is intact. (well, whatever reputation it does have)
    How many RTE staffers would willingly live next to travellers? - none.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My pet hate is everyone being called bigots or racists - I'm neither, I'm just fed up to the back teeth with criminal layabouts demanding something for nothing and knowing they will never contribute to the pot. I don't care if you're a traveller or not, if you sit on your hole moaning about the government or hospital waiting lists, etc, I have zero time for you. Get a job, contribute to society in some way be it working , voluntary work, etc.

i presume you would give them a job? if they are laying around doing nothing then nobody is going to give them a job because quite frankly, they don't want the head ake and who can blame them. same applies to voluntary work.

Do something useful and stop bringing children into the world that you can't feed, clothe or educate - to me that is child abuse.

to the real world however, it's not child abuse as there are systems in place to help with those issues. there is genuine child abuse happening in the world, lumping people simply having children and living off wellfare into that i believe is insulting to genuine child abuse.
    that seems to be a major issue these days, people calling anything they don't agree with in relation to children, child abuse.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is what gets to me when it comes to discussing Travellers and people who automatically defend them. We're constantly told they are disadvantaged and discriminated against and Settled Native people are to blame but that's not true. They are not bared from accessing education, housing or medical care. It's their own culture that puts them at a disadvantage. They can't get employment because they leave school early, a lot without even the Junior Cert. It's rare that a Native Irish person doesn't finish the Leaving Cert. They don't want to mix with/marry Native people. I'll put my hands up and admit that many of them probably do find it hard to enter a pub or book a hotel for a wedding but why is that? It's because the venues are afraid of the destruction they may cause, which is disproportionate to the rest of the population.

In the last 30 years Ireland has seen an infux of people from all over the world, all of whom are managing to integrate. We see mixed race children in our schools, which shows that non nationals are mixing with Irish. How many mixed race Traveller children do you see? Very few to none is my guess. So Travellers don't mix with Native Irish or non nationals. Yet according to them, they are not the problem. They are not the racists. They are a downtrodden minority that no one looks out for. It's not their fault they have to rob €300 worth of clothes from Penneys because the Gubberment won't give them a forever home with enough bedrooms for the kids and stables for the horses.

Native Irish and non nationals all have a criminal and sponge-off-the-Gubberment element but no other section of Irish society has such a high percentage doing so and even the most liberal crusader can't deny that. Well I suppose they can, which is what irks people and is why Peter Casey went from 1% to 20%.

You are commenting off of a confused poster boss.
    If you want to insult people and be ignorant, expect to be disagreed with. It's part and parcel of a discussion.
    If you want to 'discuss Travellers' I don't see anyone stopping anyone. Now go on to your reasoned discussion about 'gubberment' and yarns that suit your view ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ah sure poor auld Margaret is just a victim

She told Niall Boylan that the gubberment is robbing her

Couldn't answer how though so she just shouted over him

Increase in the welfare doesn't matter to her

So this is wat they do wen u shame them by telling the truth �� I stick by wat i said and i dont expect anything from this goverment. Do they really think that a fiver is gonna make much of a differnce? What have the done to change the housing crises? Nuting thats wat nutin coz there not capeable of changing it. They dont wanna change it. So cllr paddy mc **** i call ya ur good for nothing and the people u work for are good for nothing!!!

On her robbing from Penneys

"I never said I was a saint or anything, far from it.
    “None of this has to do with the homeless crisis.
    “I feel like I’m being attacked for highlighting the homeless crisis. It’s all about me shoplifting, they are looking for the bad.
    “The clothes were for the kids. I feel like I am being targeted. It is letting the Government off the hook.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3274135/margaret-cash-saint-avoiding-jail-penneys/

naughtb4 wrote: »
    There are a lot more than travellers who feel they entitled to a home - of a certain specification, in the area if their choosing

Your point caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/couple-forced-spend-second-christmas-caravan-naas/262529

"forced to live in a caravan" - were already offered a house but refused it, they don't like stairs...

I guess it is the robbin gubberments fault, should build more bungalows to give away for free...

"It had a stairs in it and I don't like stairs so we said we couldn't move there," said Margaret.

I'm flabbergasted

You are commenting off of a confused poster boss.
    If you want to insult people and be ignorant, expect to be disagreed with. It's part and parcel of a discussion.
    If you want to 'discuss Travellers' I don't see anyone stopping anyone. Now go on to your reasoned discussion about 'gubberment' and yarns that suit your view ;)
    Ah the I hate K****kers thread. That'll solve everything!

Well well if it isn't Matt-crusader for the oppressed enlightening us depraved racists with his superior morality.

Did you just stumble upon this thread all of a sudden again today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

JMNolan wrote: »
    "It had a stairs in it and I don't like stairs so we said we couldn't move there," said Margaret.

I'm flabbergasted

that reads like a waterford whisperers article.

Well well if it isn't Matt-crusader for the oppressed enlightening us depraved racists with his superior morality.

Did you just stumble upon this thread all of a sudden again today?

This is all derived from you not being honest that you misread/misunderstood a post of mine.

You amuse me boss. You're like a cat that believes itself witty, trapped in a sack of misunderstood comments as it floats down the river of this thread.

You say nothing and add nothing. I'm finding it very hard to feel slighted chief :)

This is all derived from you not being honest that you misread/misunderstood a post of mine.

You amuse me boss. You're like a cat that believes itself witty, trapped in a sack of misunderstood comments as it floats down the river of this thread.

You say nothing and add nothing. I'm finding it very hard to feel slighted chief :)

No I'm afraid it's derived from you pretending that you suddenly found a thread yesterday that you disapproved of but had been posting in all along. A thread you seem to dislike but keep posting drivel in.

No I'm afraid it's derived from you pretending that you suddenly found a thread yesterday that you disapproved of but had been posting in all along. A thread you seem to dislike but keep posting drivel in.

But that's your claim. You made that up in your own head.

I saw a series of posts and commented on them.

I'm not sure what Oscar Wilde quips you are trying to derive from that horse. It's boring the arse off me in any case.

Are you annoyed because I gave out about the thread and continue to post in it? Really? Get up the yard. It's going to be tough out there in the world for a flower so delicate such as yourself :)

• Advertisement

the "reasons" travelers are "hated" is i'd suspect, the same "reasons" other minority groups were so in the past, with the genuine issues that are in the community used to perpetuate the "hatred"

it is telling the truth. i understand you only want to be told what you want to hear but to be frank, that's your issue. the job of public service broadcasting is to give the facts whether people like them or not, and for the most part, that is what rte do.

given that doesn't happen, then rte's reputation is intact. (well, whatever reputation it does have)

Given that these people will turn down tax payer funded purpose built accommodation, on the grounds that they'll have to live next to other travellers I'd say it's a fairly safe assumption.

But that's your claim. You made that up in your own head.

I saw a series of posts and commented on them.

I'm not sure what Oscar Wilde quips you are trying to derive from that horse. It's boring the arse off me in any case.

Exactly. And all that took place before you discovered this thread.

Exactly. And all that took place before you discovered this thread.

Nope. I posted on this thread ages ago and popped back in for a look-see and decided to comment. So what? Are you the thread police? Get over yourself boss. Ironically you liked a post about people trying to close down discussion on Travellers, works both ways horse :)

Now do you want a bit a carpet or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Trying to get my head around it.

Somebody earnestly saying they'll have to move out and live on the road if they're housed near a certain family and everybody from the pressure groups to the interviewer accepting this as an inalienable fact of life rather than pointing out that you could try, you know, just not burning out your neighbours or killing them because you don't get on with them :D

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    On her robbing from Penneys

"I never said I was a saint or anything, far from it.
    “None of this has to do with the homeless crisis.
    “I feel like I’m being attacked for highlighting the homeless crisis. It’s all about me shoplifting, they are looking for the bad.
    “The clothes were for the kids. I feel like I am being targeted. It is letting the Government off the hook.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3274135/margaret-cash-saint-avoiding-jail-penneys/

What a curious specimen. I suppose she is being honest in a way (which counts for something?). I have never heard someone so in your face about being a thief and a scrounger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Booze Ban wrote: »
    Imagine having so much privilege that you can turn down a free house because don't like stairs...

#Toxic level difference mitigation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Imagine having so much privilege that you can turn down a free house because don't like stairs...

#NoStairsJustStables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't understand the mentality of these people. The conditions in the caravan sound horrendous. The picture of the caravan showed what looks like a room smaller than a bedsit, which they have to stay in day in, day out, with only the traffic to look at. No running water or toilet. They have to go to a service station to use the loo. They sleep in their clothes because it is so cold.....but a house with every modern convenience is less desirable because it has stairs???

If stairs bother them that much they could convert the sitting room into a bedroom and turn under the stairs into a toilet. All problems solved!

What do they think they are holding out for? It's hard enough to get a terraced/semi detatched house. Do they really think the council is going to be able to give them a bungalow? They're in their late 60's with a lot of health problems. Regardless of their ethnic status, they should be enjoying their later years, not living on the edge of a roundabout in 3rd world conditions.

They've been given an out and won't take it so I find it hard to have sympathy with their "plight".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

JMNolan wrote: »

I'm flabbergasted

Is... is this for real?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I'm surprised that more politicians haven't been brave enough to break ranks with the cuddly-liberal view . I would strongly consider voting for a party that was willing to say enough is enough. Peter Casey showed that there is a very large number of people that are fed up with the mollycoddling that these people get.

We need a Trump train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Casey more or less said on the PK show on Newstalk this morning that he'll be running for MEP in the next elections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"I don't like stairs so I turned down the accommodation."

What was the reason again? "I don't like stairs."

Fuq me. :eek:

Ordinarily I'd be sceptical that such a thing was said but unfortunately it's believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"I don't like stairs so I turned down the accommodation."

What was the reason again? "I don't like stairs."

Fuq me. :eek:

Ordinarily I'd be sceptical that such a thing was said but unfortunately it's believable.

It's actually mind-blowing, I'm genuinely pissed off over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

In fairness, some of dem fillums do have bad men hiding under de stairs, travellers are a superstitious lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is... is this for real?!

Different Margaret Cash, the subject of this thread has no problem gettin up dem stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Different Margaret Cash, the subject of this thread has no problem gettin up dem stairs.

Lol

It's actually mind-blowing, I'm genuinely pissed off over it.

It should be a national scandal. But our Liberal/Lefty halfwit government and mainstream media want to paint over it with a big old coating of victimhood weathershield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

colm_mcm wrote: »
    She has a nice little tail to be watching going up the stairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The couple said they were offered a home by Kildare Co Council in the past in Castledermot but they turned it down. "It had a stairs in it and I don't like stairs so we said we couldn't move there," said Margaret.

She should have said, wouldn't not couldn't as she had the choice.

I love these articles, it shows these people to be bat**** crazy with some insane entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bill nye wrote: »

Garage nearly as big as their house, swimming pool and Audi on the driveway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

No stairs tho boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

the "reashttps://www.instagram.com/dublinrunningdad/?hl=enons" travelers are "hated" is i'd suspect, the same "reasons" other minority groups were so in the past, with the genuine issues that are in the community used to perpetuate the "hatred?

Rubbish.
    The very same documentary last night said that 8% of landlords would be reluctant to rent to an immigrant family while 82% would be reluctant to rent to a travelller family.

Given that the traveller families have been here a lot longer than other minorities how does your argument stack up

Absolutely ridiculous crap. This has to stop. Jesus that programme last night just made me 100% worse towards the whole situation.

Enough is enough. I'm at work every day paying taxes to subsidise these cretins existence. All the while worrying if my house is going to be ransacked by them. Or if I come home to find the common area full of caravans and dross strewn around the place. But I guess that'll be put down to the Amish (all of society's scapegoats) and their antics.

Next politician who comes around my house canvassing better be prepared to tell me why their party supports this national shakedown. That's all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A ****ing swimming pool :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If stairs bother them that much they could convert the sitting room into a bedroom and turn under the stairs into a toilet. All problems solved!

My thoughts exactly, just the two of them... worst case you would get a sofabed for the sitting room.. has to be better than living in a cold caravan :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

markodaly wrote: »
    She should have said, wouldn't not couldn't as she had the choice.

I love these articles, it shows these people to be bat**** crazy with some insane entitlements.
    The newspaper indulging this sh1t is also part of the craziness. Paper never refused ink I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Samsgirl wrote: »
    There is a whole department dedicated to travellers in the council I work for. Four or five people solely dedicated to travellers.
    Also a traveller housing clinic twice a week in the council offices.
    So happy I wasn't placed there.

my mother's school had a resource teacher specially for travellers, that was her full-time job. Resource teaching is Special Needs - it's supposed to be for kids with mental handicaps. But these were normal kids, and given a proper raising they could have been scientists or artists or doctors or anything. But it was just accepted that they would leave primary school at the level of a Down Syndrome child, because of their parents' stubbornness and "culture." Those children I'm sure are almost all unemployed, probably dozens of kids, maybe a few of the boys dead or in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

goose2005 wrote: »
    my mother's school had a resource teacher specially for travellers, that was her full-time job. Resource teaching is Special Needs - it's supposed to be for kids with mental handicaps. But these were normal kids, and given a proper raising they could have been scientists or artists or doctors or anything. But it was just accepted that they would leave primary school at the level of a Down Syndrome child, because of their parents' stubbornness and "culture." Those children I'm sure are almost all unemployed, probably dozens of kids, maybe a few of the boys dead or in jail.

And yet we still support their culture with our taxes.

We gave them ethnic status (which basically encouraged them to mooch even more out of the rest us) into the bargain.

But they still want more & more again.

What a treasure they really are...

Nope. I posted on this thread ages ago and popped back in for a look-see and decided to comment. So what? Are you the thread police? Get over yourself boss. Ironically you liked a post about people trying to close down discussion on Travellers, works both ways horse :)

Now do you want a bit a carpet or not?

No. I'm not a police of anything. Just highlighting the clown like foolishness of a taxpayer leech apologist.

Would ya go away outta dat Matt.

You have 17 posts in this thread already! You didnt just find it now.

Yourself and EOTR are a joke. Remember who pays for these 'ethnic minority' groups existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Just tell them to foff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement